Shenmue III Gamescom 2019 Content

I don't know about that. The NPC's do sound slightly better, but Ryo sounds as dry and awkward as he did in the first two games. Personally, I wouldn't have it any other way. Shenmue isn't Shenmue without a bad english dub.
Slightly better is low balling it a bit, don't you think? The originals were full of inexperienced actors, and in some cases people pulled off the street. This time around they've had a much more professional approach to the English dub, and I think it shows. Ryo can be a pretty dry character by design, and Corey hasn't had much opportunity to shine yet in the media released. We'll probably need to wait for the full game to see how he does in much more emotionally charged scenes.

Again, I just think it sounds like a pretty standard video game dub now, and considering the low bar set by Shenmue II's English VA, I'll be happy to take this as a pleasantly average replacement.

Shit, my standards were fine even for Shen2x. Only dubs to screech on my ears was most of Don Niu and gameplay dialogue Shenhua; for whatever reason her cutscene voice was a bit better and serviceable.

Slightly better is low balling it a bit, don't you think? The originals were full of inexperienced actors, and in some cases people pulled off the street. This time around they've had a much more professional approach to the English dub, and I think it shows. Ryo can be a pretty dry character by design, and Corey hasn't had much opportunity to shine yet in the media released. We'll probably need to wait for the full game to see how he does in much more emotionally charged scenes.

Again, I just think it sounds like a pretty standard video game dub now, and considering the low bar set by Shenmue II's English VA, I'll be happy to take this as a pleasantly average replacement.

I'll give you that. It does sound like it was done by a professional studio versus the first two which were done by people off the street. The improvement from II to III specifically is a HUGE step up. Because while I had a charmingly bad English dub, II was just bad.

As far as what we've seen so far from Corey's work in III, to me he sounds almost exactly the same except with a bit of a deeper, gruffer voice. But still very awkward. In other words, it sounds like Shenmue.

Just caught the new trailer...just wow...

This is finally looking like a true Shenmue...

Huge improvements in just a few months...

Yu Suzuki-sama & the creative team did it again...

Shenmue III is looking like a GOTY and has potential now to seriously save the saga...

Just wow...a true masterpiece in the making...

Despite an amazing trailer, and demos... None of any of that still scrapes the surface in regards to what this game is. I mean that. 35 hours i read somewhere? Absolutely no chance. If you want to do everything, this is easily a 70-80+ hour game. I don't even know where to begin.
In 3 months time, we are getting a miracle.

Another day done. 2:30am and I don't know what life is anymore. Laugh, cry, eat, sleep... This game has rendered me incapable of thought anymore.

Just an observational comment. Yu is not shy at all in public nor does he dodge photo ops opportunity. Almost like, a down to earth celeb who doesn't seem to overwhelmingly hard to approach. Yet he is in the pinnacle category of industry legends. Weird contrast I think. And just a funny thought, Yu seems to be chilled with both & loved by men and women equally alike. I used to remember reading about people's impression of meeting industry dev's and they are usually kinda introverted or don't know how to handle the attention. And some like Kojima, gets nervous around women. :giggle:☕

Couldn't sleep so I decided to watch the trailers in chronological order.

It blows my mind to see that we've gone from stuff like this:
50cb7b9711.png

to this:
0a15fa2b65.png

Super proud of all the work YS Net and Co. have poured into this game. This is the Shenmue we have dreamed of alright; just like Suzuki said himself in 2015.

I certainly want to add my voice to the chorus here. This is shaping up to be an awesome Shenmue game! It makes me look forward to it even more and even look forward to Shenmue IV, V, VI, and Zero ... then remakes of I and II ... then the Fuku-san and Tom spin-off games releasing in 2040. Good things to be looking forward to!

Couldn't sleep so I decided to watch the trailers in chronological order.

It blows my mind to see that we've gone from stuff like this:
50cb7b9711.png

to this:
0a15fa2b65.png

Super proud of all the work YS Net and Co. have poured into this game. This is the Shenmue we have dreamed of alright; just like Suzuki said himself in 2015.

Now let's keep this dream alive by supporting Shenmue 3 with everything we got. So Shenmue will no longer be a yearned after dream, but our glorious reality.

Last edited:
Despite an amazing trailer, and demos... None of any of that still scrapes the surface in regards to what this game is. I mean that. 35 hours i read somewhere? Absolutely no chance. If you want to do everything, this is easily a 70-80+ hour game. I don't even know where to begin.

Another day done. 2:30am and I don't know what life is anymore. Laugh, cry, eat, sleep... This game has rendered me incapable of thought anymore.

It's comments like this which are making me consider taking a 2nd week off work :eek: I still can't comprehend how t his game will be bigger than Shenmue II but after seeing the detail put into this trailer... I'm really starting to think it's going to surprise us!

oohhhhhh man this!!!!

Back