Random Shenmue III Thoughts

I know right? Hours are going to feel like days. We'll get our first taste of how bad that'll get once there's a release date for the backer trial. The night before that launches is going to feel like nearly 20 years of Christmases rolled into one.

Honestly, I feel like I could go all the way to November 19th without a peep about the game and still be as excited as I am right now. I'm actually starting to get a bit spoiler-phobic too, for story and gameplay details.

It's going to be an extraordinary test of willpower to stop reading every interview.. and maybe stop watching the one or two trailers we may have left.

None of us will stop watching the new trailers. Id say we'll prob end up watching it a million times on repeat lol

With Shenmue 3's trailers doing a good job of not showing too much, I don't see me going on a blackout unless the trial is datamined and spoileres are discovered there. This is quite the opposite to my other favourite game series (Yakuza) which shows scenes from the final parts of the game in their first trailers!

With Shenmue 3's trailers doing a good job of not showing too much, I don't see me going on a blackout unless the trial is datamined and spoileres are discovered there. This is quite the opposite to my other favourite game series (Yakuza) which shows scenes from the final parts of the game in their first trailers!
I have to admit, I am both thrilled and annoyed at how much of the story has been kept under wraps so far.

At least now I have a general idea of Ryo's story arc this time after the Gamescom trailer. Ryo getting within striking distance of Lan Di and having a crisis of confidence in his ability to win is an interesting foil to the revenge plot, and is currently a more convincing reason for Ryo to take stock of his actions than not knowing if he can take a life or not.

The animation in combat looks MUCH better than I initially thought it did upon slowing the video down. The combat looks like it might be pretty dynamic.

At 1:12 in the Gamescom trailer when Ryo kicks the lower half of the guys body you can his opponent dip down and favor the side he got kicked on a bit. I can't wait to read the write ups and see what it's about.

Random shenmue thought- is there a way to find out which countries (and how much came from said countries) contributed to the Shenmue campaign?
I apologize if this question has been asked or answered before.

Random shenmue thought- is there a way to find out which countries (and how much came from said countries) contributed to the Shenmue campaign?
On the Kickstarter page there should be a community tab that shows the top ten countries that pledged towards the game. Not sure if it gets more specific than that though.

This isn't going to answer your question but I remember having counted the different countries of active dojo members a couple of years ago just for "fun"

Last edited:
Hahaha. I know, I'm going to crack so hard.

I'm a Shenmue-aholic.

Part of me wishes I could have lasted 4 years without reading or watching a single detail of Shenmue 3.

Just think how amazing it would be booting up Shenmue 3 on launch day not having any idea what it's going to look or play like. Imagine how much your mind would have been blown the first time you play and Chai shows up. Damn.

In terms of backers numbers yes, monetary wise I don't know3971

backers-by-country.png

Re-sorted to account for each country's population size.

This isn't going to answer your question but I remember having counted the different countries of active dojo members a couple of years ago just for "fun"

View attachment 3964
This is neat to see. I love looking at analytics for our community.
It would be cool one day to do a Dojo 'census' to highlight all the different backgrounds that Shenmue has had an influence on. Something I might mull over in the future.

I'd love to see a map of dots that show where all of the Dojo members are. Maps are cool 8)
Definitely! If this does ever come to fruition, you can expect a load of cool visualisations of the data collected.

Back