Project Update #113: Tokyo Game Show 2019: New Movies!

A lot to see in this new Spirit of the Land trailer.

I finished a replay of Shenmue this week. It's wonderful and feels like home, but it's so niche and old in some regards. I'm real curious how this running back and forth translates to Shenmue 3 in 2019.

Ryo's walking animation at 2:19 looks terrible.

Omg I just noticed how similar Mr. Jawline man looks to my late grandfather, Damn. minus the hair they look so alike lmao

Last edited:
The trailer feels like coming home :-)
They need to fix the shadow draw distance however, and hopefully there is an option on PS4 for either more details or fps if they can't manage both at the same time.

(OT on the very good game Obduction on PS4 the only annoying thing really was the similar shadow draw distance like seen here, the not as smooth framerate was no issue for me)

Both locations look stunning, really impressed with the variation of weather effects too - Especially having the enviornment react to rain, really throught that would be beyond the budget but it's look ace! Trailer gives a great view of both settings and I can't wait to explore them :)

The Japanese version of the GamesCom trailer is definitely a little different from the English one. There's a different angle when Ryo is talking to the kid and when he's talking to himself about going to the arcade.

Hello Everyone,

Today we would like to share two trailers from Tokyo Game Show 2019. The first features the spirit of where Shenmue III takes place and the second is the Japanese-voiced version of the previously released trailer.

https://youtu.be/ZpDjXTwBN4E

The world of Ryo & company's travels!

https://youtu.be/FGH9migloto

Now in Japanese!

TGS Update

Yu Suzuki will be appearing on a live stream talk at TGS. Please see below for details.

*Streaming times may change.

**Available sites are in Japanese.

12th (THU) - Talk Show with Yu Suzuki

11:45AM~12:45PM JST: Yu Suzuki, Hazuki Ryo actor Masaya Matsukaze and Ling Shenhua actress Haruka Terui are scheduled for the show.

Sega Games / Atlus Live Stream! Day 1: YouTube Live, nikoniko Live

13th (FRI) - TGS Live Streams

Yu Suzuki is also scheduled to make the following appearances.

Famitsu & Dengeki Games

1:00PM~1:30PM JST

Famitsu & Dengeki Games TGS 2019 site

Day 2 Live Stream: YouTube Live

4gamer

3:00PM~3:45PM JST

【TGS2019】4GamerLive_DAY2【4GamerSP】: YouTube Live

IGN Japan

4:10PM~4:40PM JST

Official Channel

TGS 2019 Day 2 All day live coverage: YouTube Live

Thank you as always for your support.
Well thank u guys .. thank yu like always thank shenmue 3... Gosh shenmue Lives ❤❤❤now and 4ever

Really hope we have the option of playing the game in Japanese with English subtitles. Of course will play the game in English too though.
We do, I think Yu confirmed it in an interview and also on the old steam page it listed both Eng and JP Subs and Speech.

Personally, I think the English VA in itself is quite fine. Especially love Knickerbocker's performace so far and Ren's sounded promising, as well (both English and Japanese actors they found were pretty reminiscent of the originals).

Seems like some might be mistaking for bad acting is the low budget allocated for lip sync. Had to do old school like the first two games where they simply tried their best to match mouth movement rather than western localizers being able to manipulate facial animation.

Personally, I think the English VA in itself is quite fine. Especially love Knickerbocker's performace so far and Ren's sounded promising, as well (both English and Japanese actors they found were pretty reminiscent of the originals).

Seems like some might be mistaking for bad acting is the low budget allocated for lip sync. Had to do old school like the first two games where they simply tried their best to match mouth movement rather than western localizers being able to manipulate facial animation.
I calmed down when I saw how bad the FFVII voice acting is. It's just more unbalanced criticism towards Shenmue, a less beloved series.

Eh, I'm glad we got BOTH the Gamescom trailer in Japanese and a new trailer (which looks amazing). Btw, if there was any confirmation that the Japanese dub would be better. :p
I just hope it'll default to it or that reviewers will use it. Because I feel like the english dub might hurt the game when it comes to reception.

Back