Random Shenmue III Thoughts

As far as I know the Reviews of the 1 and 2 were also mixed. But you have to separate the Reviews of the big magazines back then that were quite postive and the Reviews of the small Websites which were always worse.

But even in the big magazines Shenmue never got the score it really deserved.

Just save all of my posts ln this subject. I'm calling it, Shenmue 3 will not get bad reviews. If the response to the demo is anything to go by, we're going to get some very fair reviews. It will be easy to spot those who don't review the game in good faith. Some reviews will be harsh, but fair, however, overall most will be positive.

And in all honesty, it's the Youtubers who hopefully will create the most buzz with their reviews. There will be stupid clickbait hate reviews, but guys like DreamcastGuy, Happy Console Gamer, RGT 85 and maybe a few other big names will give the game positive reviews.

The people who played the demo were already fans of Shenmue and paid at least $100 for that opportunity, I’m not saying that discredits their opinion but I am saying there is a bubble and it’s more likely that people who are already fans of something will generally be more positive with more of the same. Such success may not translate into significantly increasing the fannbase with newcomers and the people who dislike Shenmue will continue to dislike it. There’s going to be a lot of negative reviews, I’d suggest you’d brace yourself and just take them in stride.

OMG don't even get me started on that cap. They clearly have rose colored gasses, because the new battle system smokes the virtual fighter engines. Thankfully the Shenmue games used a improved version of the prototype for virtual Fighter 3 Engine, because virtual fighter 1, and 2 were virtually unplayable.

Yeah, that's why VF2 is still considered one of the best 3D fighting game ever released and why Am2 took a step back for VF4 being closer to 2 instead of 3... :cautious:

Also, I will have to do some research but as far as I remember Shemue used VF1 for fighting engine and Shenmue II used VF2, so no VF3 AT ALL,

I'm not too worried about the reviews. You'll have your usual folks who have never played the series, nor are they familiar with it, giving it the off-beat 6 out of 10.

I expect 6-7 on the range, with the occasional 8-8.5 given out by those who understand who it is for, what it supposed to be and play like and rate accordingly.

On another note, we are probably 2-3 weeks away from the game going Gold, at which point they'll be working on whatever they want to improve on with a patch.

This is the real crunch time in game development(especially here) where long hours go in, lots of things get improved upon and spruced up, etc.

I still firmly believe the game is further along than any of us realize(that demo is older). I think we'll see a true, full reveal of the game at Paris Games Week, which starts around the end of this month--perfect for a launch trailer.

Yeah, that's why VF2 is still considered one of the best 3D fighting game ever released and why Am2 took a step back for VF4 being closer to 2 instead of 3... :cautious:

Also, I will have to do some research but as far as I remember Shemue used VF1 for fighting engine and Shenmue II used VF2, so no VF3 AT ALL,

Yeah, agreed, Virtua Fighter 1 is stiff by today's standards but Virtua Fighter 2 plays blindingly well. It's also worth remembering that most characters only had 2 throws in VF2, so as sad as I am to see them not in Shenmue 3, it's not a big deal (as long as we see some cool throws in the QTE/Choreographed sequences, I'm good, and seeing as we saw boat guy apply an arm lock to Ryo, it's a guaranteed certainty )

At least its probably not too expensive, probably 80€.
I think i will buy the PixNLove version instead of the normal german 60€ version that comes with the steelbook.
I asked in both german stores which are offering the steelbook and sadly they wont sell them separately.
So i have to choose between a normal Day One version to get the steelbook
and the PixNLove version ... PixNLove it is.

It is a good thing to be positive about the game. As a fan I believe also in the Game. Will be a great experience for us fans. But we should still be realistic. Reviews will be a mixed bag. Some reviews are going to be good and others won't be that good. That is teh way things are. Cannot be helped. But we should not focus that much on reviews. We should just wait eagerly for the game and enjoy it to the fullest when we can finally play it.

It is a good thing to be positive about the game. As a fan I believe also in the Game. Will be a great experience for us fans. But we should still be realistic. Reviews will be a mixed bag. Some reviews are going to be good and others won't be that good. That is teh way things are. Cannot be helped. But we should not focus that much on reviews. We should just wait eagerly for the game and enjoy it to the fullest when we can finally play it.
Pretty much my stance on the matter as well. I expect certain places will run reviews that are negative for the sake of clicks (talking about certain youtuber's here), but I'd expect a average of 70% when all is said and done. But this is one of those occasions where it sounds like its a game made for the fans, and will deliver on that promise so in that way it'll be a success. Though I couldn't possibly predict its sales...

Cedric stated that Shenmue 4 would be a guarantee if sales reached the 1 million mark. Considering that Shenmue is now launching simutaneously on PC this time around, how difficult will this be to achieve?

Shenmue on the Dreamcast sold 1.18 million copies with a Dreamcast installed base of 9.13 million units. That’s a 13% adoption rate.

The PS4 has an installed base of over 100 million units. The PC gaming market, an estimated 1.22 billion users.

Even if Shenmue was to launch solely on the PS4, only 1 out of 100 owners or 1% would need to purchase the game in order to secure Shenmue 4. Is this a realistic expectation?

Last edited:
There are more than enough players / gamers on this planet but that doesnt mean that they are interested in everything.
Even games like Resident Evil are no guaranteed super hit, Resident Evil 7 needed 4 months to sell 3 mil copies
and that game was available on Steam, Xbox and PS4.
Then you have extrem small indie farming or simulator games with better sales numbers than some AAA games.
If all the players worldwide would be interested in everything, every single game would be a hit.
But thats not how it works.

Just save all of my posts ln this subject. I'm calling it, Shenmue 3 will not get bad reviews. If the response to the demo is anything to go by, we're going to get some very fair reviews. It will be easy to spot those who don't review the game in good faith. Some reviews will be harsh, but fair, however, overall most will be positive.

And in all honesty, it's the Youtubers who hopefully will create the most buzz with their reviews. There will be stupid clickbait hate reviews, but guys like DreamcastGuy, Happy Console Gamer, RGT 85 and maybe a few other big names will give the game positive reviews.

I'm still calling swimming in 7's to 8's at the highest. Which I think will be totally fair. 7-8 range is not a bad score at all.

I'm happy to see people are responding so well to the Demo...it's kinda nice, after all the bullshit drama.

Question to People who have played the game. Did you feel any delays from the controls of the game when playing the demo. The German M Games say that there is a delay. They did it again in a peview a few month ago already and a recent preview they mentioned the delays again...

In terms of fighting? Yeah there's a little bit of a delay when you're at your default levels I noticed, but I think the more you level up, the faster and more fluid it gets. At least that's been my take away from the fighting. Otherwise, I haven't seen any lag or delays in any other aspect of gameplay from my time with it.

Hell no, and no I'm not talking about the console ports either. A 2D fighter that plays great, trumps a sluggish, and floaty 3D fighter any day.

Me and my friends were huge fighting genre fans in the 90s, and early 2,000s.

we use to play SF games all the time, and when we went to arcades, we played Tekken 2 all the time. On day we say a VF or VF 2 machine there(I think it was 2), so we stopped playing Tekken 2 to check it out. We played a few matches, then went this sucks, back to Tekken 2.

Don't get me wrong, VF 1, and 2 are important landmark tech demos, they deserve their spot in the hall of fame, and all that, but they are 100% trash, when it comes to being a function fighting game.

Smooth/fast animations, and responsive controls is what matters, who gives a damn It's 3D, if it plays like trash.

PS. I'm not 100% about Shenmue 1, but I heard that Shenmue 2 used a improved prototype of VF 3.

Last edited:
Hell no, and no I'm not talking about the console ports either. A 2D fighter that plays great, trumps a sluggish, and floaty 3D fighter any day.

Me and my friends were huge fighting genre fans in the 90s, and early 2,000s.

we use to play SF games all the time, and when we went to arcades, we played Tekken 2 all the time. On day we say a VF or VF 2 machine there(I think it was 2), so we stopped playing Tekken 2 to check it out. We played a few matches, then went this sucks, back to Tekken 2.

Don't get me wrong, VF 1, and 2 are important landmark tech demos, they deserve their spot in the hall of fame, and all that, but they are 100% trash, when it comes to being a function fighting game.

Smooth/fast animations, and responsive controls is what matters, who gives a damn It's 3D, if it plays like trash.

PS. I'm not 100% about Shenmue 1, but I heard that Shenmue 2 used a improved prototype of VF 3.

I think the problem might just be you suck at the games :p

The Virtua Fighter games are fighting perfection.

I think the problem might just be you suck at the games :p

The Virtua Fighter games are fighting perfection.

Only graphic whores think that(oh wow It's 3D, It's amazing, how it controls/plays no longer matters, because It's 3D), but true fighting game fans, will "always" go the way of, what plays better.

Hell I still don't know why Yu Suzuki made jumping a thing in those games, because even the Arcade versions were floaty as hell. Then there's ofcourse the fighting, omg It's slow.

Yu Suzuki should've gone with smaller models, perhaps that would have fixed a lot of the problems, but as is, VF 1, and 2 suck "as fighting games".

Back