Who told the Chi You Men about the mirror

Mojito

Account Removed at Users Request
In master and ryo trailer, the muscular man says that "they screamed, where is the Phoenix mirror".
This is in Bailu Village, so i wonder:

How did the Chi You Men know ryo where in guilin, and how did they know he had the second mirror with him?

Lan Di did not know at the top of the yellow head building, thats for sure.

There are only a handful of people that knows this Who could rat him out

Fukusan (no)
Ine-san (no)
Guizang (doubt it)
Master Chen (maaaaaybe)
Chai (!!!)
Wong(no)
Joy(no)
Yuanda Zhu(!!!)
Chang (zhus assistanse)

I dont think its Chai.. Lan Di proberly dont know Who Chai even is considering there rank difference. My bet is that Chai was even following Lan Di in a distanse to Japan. Maybe he will keep this a secret and try to fetch the mirror hinself so he can give it to Lan Di.

Guizang is a straight up guy i believe.

Master Chen is some how sneeky in my eyes, but he had all the opertunity in the world to ambush ryo in wherehouse number 8.
Then again, he could let ryo do the dirty work and take the mirrors when he return to Japan.

Yuanda Zhu is allso a suspect here. But why would he rat out Ryo after being hunted by the Chi You Men? I think he wanta the mirrors for hinself in any case.

Chang has a bad habbit of getting cought (no spoilers).. Maybe he was captured by the Chi You Men and then sold out Ryo to save his own Ass? Chang and Zhu proberly spoke after ryo left for guilin.

Run debate :D

I think LAN Di just assumed the second Mirror was still in Bailu Village. He knew that Iwao had brought the dragon mirror to Japan but thought the Phoenix mirror had always remained in China.

Well Chai knows that there is another mirror...and Chai does show up in Shenmue III. The creepy skin head is looking for a way in with Lan Di and that type of information would reward him greatly.

But as for the mirror? I think they believe it's in Bailu but probably don't know specifically that Ryo already has it in his possession. Hence they're raiding Bailu in search of it. Not knowing it's been with Ryo this entire time.

Interesting topic.

I'm gonna echo what some people above me said. My guess is that the Chiyoumen just know that the mirror is somewhere in bailu village, hence why they're using trial and error methods such as ransacking random houses to find it. Ryo getting his ass kicked by chiyoumen members/affiliates of the Chiyoumen and still being in possession of the mirror also suggests that they're oblivious to the fact that Ryo has it on him.

Chai's role is really unique. He seems to be the only the one connected to the Chiyoumen that knows exactly where the phoenix mirror is but judging by his dialogue in Chen's warehouse after you fail the QTE when he steals the mirror, 'with this, I can join the Chiyoumen!' it seems like Chai will keep the mirror's whereabouts hidden, because he thinks his entrance into the group can only be achieved by stealing and delivering the mirror to Lan Di.

I will say that Yuanda Zhu is extremely shady. When Ren spoke of him as formerly 'the big boss of Hong Kong', it didn't seem to paint him in a great light. I don't think you become the big boss without dirtying your hands.

Interesting topic.

I'm gonna echo what some people above me said. My guess is that the Chiyoumen just know that the mirror is somewhere in bailu village, hence why they're using trial and error methods such as ransacking random houses to find it. Ryo getting his ass kicked by chiyoumen members/affiliates of the Chiyoumen and still being in possession of the mirror also suggests that they're oblivious to the fact that Ryo has it on him.

Chai's role is really unique. He seems to be the only the one connected to the Chiyoumen that knows exactly where the phoenix mirror is but judging by his dialogue in Chen's warehouse after you fail the QTE when he steals the mirror, 'with this, I can join the Chiyoumen!' it seems like Chai will keep the mirror's whereabouts hidden, because he thinks his entrance into the group can only be achieved by stealing and delivering the mirror to Lan Di.

I will say that Yuanda Zhu is extremely shady. When Ren spoke of him as formerly 'the big boss of Hong Kong', it didn't seem to paint him in a great light. I don't think you become the big boss without dirtying your hands.

Many people are confused; Chai was NEVER a member of the Chiyoumen: he was a member of the Mad Angels.

Remember the dialogue carefully from the first game:

Jimmy: "I don't know, but he's connected with the Mad Angels!"
Chai: "With this, I can join the Chiyoumen!"

Also, when Nozomi is kidnapped, Chai is in concert with the Mad Angels guys; if he was Chiyou, he wouldn't be with them, as the Mad Angels hadn't ingratiated themselves with them yet (almost verbatim of what Master Chen says).

Finally, if he was Chiyou, he would 100% tell Lan Di that Ryo has it and the series would've ended at the second game, once encountering Ryo on the roof.

As everyone else is saying, it is either assumed that it is still in Bailu or, since its a pretty friggin' big giveaway (lol), the carving of the mirrors in the stone pit reveal that someone in the village has knowledge of the mirrors, hence the (supposed) kidnapping of Shenhua's father.

This one I think is a possibility at least. I don't trust him... he just has this weird mysterious vibe to him. At very least, he knows way more than he's told Ryo so far. And yeah I think some of the optional dialogue when your searching for Zhu subtly suggests something went down - as you do find out that his previous office is shut down rather abruptly and he disappeared. Might be that he realised Lan Di was coming after him so he panicked and fled, but maybe not...

Chai did. The reason Chai wasn't seen in Shenmue 2 is obvious, he was running off to tell Lan Di that Ryo has the Phoenix Mirror in hopes of winning favor with Lan Di.

This one I think is a possibility at least. I don't trust him... he just has this weird mysterious vibe to him. At very least, he knows way more than he's told Ryo so far. And yeah I think some of the optional dialogue when your searching for Zhu subtly suggests something went down - as you do find out that his previous office is shut down rather abruptly and he disappeared. Might be that he realised Lan Di was coming after him so he panicked and fled, but maybe not...

I remember Yu Suzuki himself saying in an interview a long time ago that Yuanda Zhu is not to be trusted. I'd bank my prediction on him ratting Ryo out.

"I will say that Yuanda Zhu is extremely shady. When Ren spoke of him as formerly 'the big boss of Hong Kong', it didn't seem to paint him in a great light. I don't think you become the big boss without dirtying your hands."

That argument is a fallacy. Nearly everyong Ryo has met, is part of some criminal organization. Come on the two that helped Ryo get to Hong Kong are damn antique smugglers. Then there's Ren, and Wrong is far from clean as well. Joy Isn't clean either, she'll do basically anything to set herself apart from her high society family.

Hell even the Temple Isn't safe from scupious miscreants, remember Fangmei's peeping tom, well Ryo has dirt on him, so he has all the motive one needs to rat Ryo out.

Needless to say, someone being shady is a rather weak argument.

"I will say that Yuanda Zhu is extremely shady. When Ren spoke of him as formerly 'the big boss of Hong Kong', it didn't seem to paint him in a great light. I don't think you become the big boss without dirtying your hands."

That argument is a fallacy. Nearly everyong Ryo has met, is part of some criminal organization. Come on the two that helped Ryo get to Hong Kong are damn antique smugglers. Then there's Ren, and Wrong is far from clean as well. Joy Isn't clean either, she'll do basically anything to set herself apart from her high society family.

Hell even the Temple Isn't safe from scupious miscreants, remember Fangmei's peeping tom, well Ryo has dirt on him, so he has all the motive one needs to rat Ryo out.

Needless to say, someone being shady is a rather weak argument.

I get what you're saying but there is a difference between petty thieves like Ren and Wong and a mob boss who was powerful enough to control Hong Kong. Yu has also mentioned that Zhu isn't what he seems, also.

I get what you're saying but there is a difference between petty thieves like Ren and Wong and a mob boss who was powerful enough to control Hong Kong. Yu has also mentioned that Zhu isn't what he seems, also.

Yes ofcouse, but saying we souldn't trust him, is imply we were ever close to trusting him in the first place.

In anycase, while he most certainly has his own plans, why in hell is he going to give info about Ryo, the same people who were after him.

No I don't buy it, however this could lead into yet another group going after Ryo in Shenmue 5 or whatnot(or another group keeping the Chi you men busy fighting them, instead of ganging up on Ryo, not to help Ryo, just that It's a action/ that will ultimately be beneficial to Ryo).

I know Joy comes off mostly as a comic relief/fanservice character, but I think it would be pretty interesting (and funny) if she was guiding and manipulating Ryo's path in S2 on Zhu's behalf. The way she zoned in on Ryo as he had just come off the ship was kind of strange. Like she was expecting him. We really don't know much about her family other than they're pretty well off, and it's kind of hard to believe she really just bums around all day with delinquents and blue collar types. If she were an informant of some kind, it would sort of make sense. If Zhu is truly the mastermind, it seems like he's manipulating Lan Di and probably other lower ranking members of Chi You Men as well. While their goal seems to be simply to get the mirror, Zhu's (again, if he really is the ultimate baddie) seems to be to have Ryo use it in some way since he didn't just take it for himself.

I don't know if I really believe any of this shit, I just saw "Joy(no)" in the opening post and started thinking of how to turn it into "Joy(yes)".

It was probably Chai.

I know Joy comes off mostly as a comic relief/fanservice character, but I think it would be pretty interesting (and funny) if she was guiding and manipulating Ryo's path in S2 on Zhu's behalf. The way she zoned in on Ryo as he had just come off the ship was kind of strange. Like she was expecting him. We really don't know much about her family other than they're pretty well off, and it's kind of hard to believe she really just bums around all day with delinquents and blue collar types. If she were an informant of some kind, it would sort of make sense. If Zhu is truly the mastermind, it seems like he's manipulating Lan Di and probably other lower ranking members of Chi You Men as well. While their goal seems to be simply to get the mirror, Zhu's (again, if he really is the ultimate baddie) seems to be to have Ryo use it in some way since he didn't just take it for himself.

I don't know if I really believe any of this shit, I just saw "Joy(no)" in the opening post and started thinking of how to turn it into "Joy(yes)".

It was probably Chai.

Well she could just be into exotic things, and frankly almost nothing is as exotic as a Japanese person, not in Japan, and Ryo is just her new boy toy to play with lol Not to mention no way would her family approve of Ryo, which is only going to maky Ryo even more appealing to her.

I remember Yu Suzuki himself saying in an interview a long time ago that Yuanda Zhu is not to be trusted. I'd bank my prediction on him ratting Ryo out.
Does anyone have a link to this interview? I've seen it referred to a couple times on here but don't remember if I ever read it myself.

Well she could just be into exotic things, and frankly almost nothing is as exotic as a Japanese person, not in Japan, and Ryo is just her new boy toy to play with lol Not to mention no way would her family approve of Ryo, which is only going to maky Ryo even more appealing to her.
Yeah, that's probably all it is really.

OR MAYBE JOY IS TENTAI

Does anyone have a link to this interview? I've seen it referred to a couple times on here but don't remember if I ever read it myself.

Believe it was the 2011 Toulouse Game Show video interview.

Back