Random Shenmue Thoughts

Well, that was almost 3 hours exactly and I made it to Kowloon, with the achievement for saying goodbye to enough people, I guess? Could've saved myself some time by not saying goodbye but where's the fun in that!

I also completely forgot where the scrap yard is in Beverley Hills Warf so that took a bit longer than it could've but overall I made a pretty good pace. Looking forward to Kowloon next time.

Not sure if anyones interested but Shenmue HD on Xbox One is going for £9.95 @ The Game Collection:

Well, that was almost 3 hours exactly and I made it to Kowloon, with the achievement for saying goodbye to enough people, I guess? Could've saved myself some time by not saying goodbye but where's the fun in that!

I also completely forgot where the scrap yard is in Beverley Hills Warf so that took a bit longer than it could've but overall I made a pretty good pace. Looking forward to Kowloon next time.
Did you get to do the 2 crazy fights with girls and the duck race? Well only the second was crazy, thanks to QTE for those with 6 fingers.

When playing Shenmue 1&2 back in the day I never practiced my moves. Now I start each day and end each day practicing with Ryo. I. I'm literally destroying everyone in one move?

19 days???

When playing Shenmue 1&2 back in the day I never practiced my moves. Now I start each day and end each day practicing with Ryo. I. I'm literally destroying everyone in one move?

19 days???

On that note, How do you train up in Shenmue II? So far I've seen I can spar with Jianmin @ Lotus Park.

Also on the HD version of Shenmue II, can you assign an attack to the shoulder button like you can on Shenmue I?

On that note, How do you train up in Shenmue II? So far I've seen I can spar with Jianmin @ Lotus Park.

Also on the HD version of Shenmue II, can you assign an attack to the shoulder button like you can on Shenmue I?

Also, fighting against Yan Ren (wild man) allows you to train up moves, IIRC.

Did you get to do the 2 crazy fights with girls and the duck race? Well only the second was crazy, thanks to QTE for those with 6 fingers.
No, I did all of that maybe 3-4 years ago -- it's awesome -- but this time I wanted to get to Kowloon relatively quickly. I don't think I've made it to Kowloon for around 10 years! It's insane. Even then, I think I've only completed Shenmue II twice, once on Dreamcast and once on Xbox.

I actually jumped back in and done the Dancing Dragon building just then...man, what a start to Kowloon! I just love this part of the game. The scope and detail of the environment still blows my goddamn mind. Yes, it looks grimey and ruined, but that makes it all the more impressive when you go up a random flight of stairs and find a row of bustling shops on the 7th floor of an otherwise dilapidated building. It's nuts.

Yes, and yes. The only things you can't train in the park are the throws. You just can't throw him any. Exit area, reenter ask him, spar, exit enter. You can train all kicks and punches in a few hours. Throws you could max after the game is cleared in the collections fighting unlocked guys. Though as you know, no point for the 3rd one at all. You'll spar there like in Shenmue 2, it's as if you know nothing again. So just max what you love using.

No, I did all of that maybe 3-4 years ago -- it's awesome -- but this time I wanted to get to Kowloon relatively quickly. I don't think I've made it to Kowloon for around 10 years! It's insane. Even then, I think I've only completed Shenmue II twice, once on Dreamcast and once on Xbox.

I actually jumped back in and done the Dancing Dragon building just then...man, what a start to Kowloon! I just love this part of the game. The scope and detail of the environment still blows my goddamn mind. Yes, it looks grimey and ruined, but that makes it all the more impressive when you go up a random flight of stairs and find a row of bustling shops on the 7th floor of an otherwise dilapidated building. It's nuts.
Amazingly, I've not seen one game since that even cared to do so many details. ATM I'm in AC Odyssey. It IS great and all, but the buildings and items you pick up are an afterthought. Much is devoted to the chars, and dialogue. Which is what I love being it's ancient Greece, and they don't try to teach you to love Karl Marx.. But the quests, and the buildings are clearly copy and paste. I wish it was smaller with less crap you don't really need. I wish it was more like Shenmue in other words. Same as so many others since 2001. Every game I kept wishing was Shenmue 3. I know it's crazy. Shenmue doesn't rinse and repeat on purpose to waste your weeks of play time. These others clearly want to, so it will say you were there for 300 hours. Sure, I had no choice LOL.

19 days???
And that right there was why so many complained about waiting till about 7, or anything in the harbor. There's a warehouse number 4 there for it. You never just sit and wait, or just drink soda or arcades. You need those days for your moves. I never saw any negatives there. It was just enough time to max a few before the arcade fight, to even stand a chance.

Whoa, here's a change in Shenmue 2 remaster I didn't notice or remember my first time playing. When Guixiang teaches you about the Chawan Sign, the game automatically takes you to 11pm in the original version and you are forced into the next day. On the PS4 remake, there is no jump in time and you can continue the day after leaving her place.

Typing that, I'm realizing this probably isn't a difference in the remaster and has to do with the fact I've already aired the books out 3 times and the story doesn't need to force me to do it again. Usually, I'm not playing the game as leisurely and see Guixiang after my second day of airing out books.

Just for clarification: the game skips ahead to 11pm only if you haven't yet seen the cutscene where Xiuying is crying over her brother. It forces you to do this before you start doing Chawan signs.

There's a similar skip after learning the Wude from Jianmin - if you haven't done your first day at work yet, the game skips ahead to 7pm to force Man Mo Temple to close (and therefore require you to stay at Come Over Guest House at least one night and do some work).

OK, just done the "find Yuan" mission after scouring the wiretappers' tapes. It has to be one of the longest tailing missions in all of video games lol but enjoyable nonetheless, with an awesome ending.

I know it's been mentioned before but it's interesting that the Japanese dub uses the original translation, where Yuan is referred to as a man throughout the whole thing, whereas the English dub uses the word "person" a lot.

Despite succeeding maybe 60% of the time, I stand by my opinion that Command QTEs are not great and could've been implemented in a better way. Anytime you fail one and get sent back further than that precise moment is pretty annoying.

Time to head to the 10th floor of the Ghost Hall building!

I just noticed on my current playthrough that you can armwrestle against Guston Hymer (what a name) and another guy, a redhead who says he's gonna break Ryos arm, at Worker's Pier.

Wait till ghost hall. Save before every freaking plank. It keeps starting on the first floor. I remember rebooting the DC for that pain in the butt. At least on PC it's easier.

I discovered that each plank has the same QTE pattern. I found a cheat sheet in this guide for them awhile back. Has plank solutions for the Yellow Head Building as well.

Okay, I played more Shenmue II last night and couldn't figure out how to assign a command to the shoulder button like in Shenmue 1 HD - Can someone tell me how?

I saw how to change the move set - Switching attacks to certain button layouts. which Is a cool feature, but annoyed how when I would learn a move the game would automatically swap the new move to replace the old one without my knowing.

Back