The Shenmue 3 Review Thread

I'm not going to "get over it" as it affects the chances of Shenmue IV happening or not.

Not really. Darksiders III got pretty average scores and certainly didnt sell gangbusters, yet here comes another sequel for that series later this year or next.

You gotta let IGN be. They are complete garbage and have been for a great many years. You cannot spell ignorance without IGN.

They've been rife with controversies from plagiarism to being bought off for higher scores on certain titles(which I'm inclined to believe for certain games).

Modern Warfare was a technical marvel and had a stellar campaign, but the multiplayer and overall formula of the game hasn't changed, which is why I'm always so remiss it gets such great scores.

I do agree that 5.9 is far too low of a score for this game, but again--IGN America is absolutely abhorrent and I've lended them no credence for a long time.

Guys in the context of a modern game which is their target audience, they aren't wrong. Sure it sucks, but most modern gamers (regardless if you like them or are one) are not gonna like this game. For those of you saying it's the best game of this gen, give me a break. It's shenmue 3 and it'll make older gamers and fans of the series happy. That's who funded it. Get over it.

Haha to me it’s easily the best game of the generation (someone back me up on this! Lol), but I’m not going to attack anyone who doesn’t feel the same way.

It’s kind of hard for me to put a number on what I’d give this game though. Depends on whether the number represents S3 as a video game (and taking away points for its flaws) or an overall experience. If I’m judging it as a video game, I’d probably agree with the 70-71 Metascore. But as an experience, it’s a 9.5-10 to me. That shit probably made no sense, but whatever lol.

Nah. With 18 reviews already in, a 59 won’t even push it down by a full point (The score will fall from 71 to 70.4). At this point, we’re not going to see any real movement unless there are some 100’s or 30’s, and we’d need quite a few of those to have a significant impact.

70 is better than I was expecting given the state of modern gaming.

The real damage is that IGN is probably the largest gaming publication in the world. Even then, Youtubers have a much larger impact than gaming publications these days, so who cares.

How do you think the gaming trend review will affect? Raise back to 71?

How do you think the gaming trend review will affect? Raise back to 71?
It’s pretty easy to work out for yourself.

Right now the game has a score of 71 after 18 reviews, so (71 X 18), add the new scores and then divide the new number by (18 + the number of new scores you added). There’s a margin of error as the 71 might be a 71.49 or a 70.5, but it should be within one point.

In this case, adding both the IGN score and the gaming trend score gives 71.1 (1422/20).

Edit: nvm. It appears that certain publications are weighted higher than others, so this calculation isn’t accurate.

Last edited:
Are there currently anymore reviews in progress that anyone knows of?
this one
5.9 from IGN. :-(

Called it, I feel like the death stranding contrast with foreign ign's kind of spelled out how this would go for the american score.

I feel like gamespot will probably give it the same score (6)

Metacritic (at least last time I checked) gives weight to certain sites though. So IGN’s score will likely impact the score more than GamingTrend.

This is why so many people get pissed at Edge Magazine. I think Edge Magazine is heavily weighted on Metacritic, and their scores are usually more harsh.

Metacritic (at least last time I checked) gives weight to certain sites though. So IGN’s score will likely impact the score more than GamingTrend.

This is why so many people get pissed at Edge Magazine. I think Edge Magazine is heavily weighted on Metacritic, and their scores are usually more harsh.
Really? I wasn’t aware of this. Seems a bit ridiculous considering they outsource most of their reviews these days. This makes it all the more baffling that DS dicked them around pre launch with their post launch review embargo.

yes this is true, IGN absolutely holds more weight due to their status on the site, this will probably push it down considerably since theres not many reviews on it.

This is what I was primarily worried about. I have always heard that they gave certain review more weight than others. Thus affecting the score in a certain way.

Now that i've calmed down a bit I must say I'm pretty sure things will end up fairly good for Shenmue III. There are many reviews missing yet and many of those are from outlets who seem to like Shenmue. I'm certain it will stay over 70.

Found an old study into it which suggested that IGN had a 1.5 weighting, so yeah. This could drop the overall rating by a few points. Let’s hope it’s counted as a PC review rather than a PS4 review.

Now that i've calmed down a bit I must say I'm pretty sure things will end up fairly good for Shenmue III. There are many reviews missing yet and many of those are from outlets who seem to like Shenmue. I'm certain it will stay over 70.
Outside of like pushsquare and easyallies which dont have less weight on the MC than others, who else likes it? I know the pc gamer guy is and they probably have a pretty heavy weight, but outside of them I dont think theres any guaranteed good reviews. Like gamespot especially is super up in the air.

I mean I feel like we are focusing on it staying over a 70, but like low 70 is considered a not good score too for an mc..

I dunno. I doubt it’ll go below 65 in the end. Faint praise, yeah, but I think many were prepared for worse. I don’t think there are many major reviews left.

Outside of like pushsquare and easyallies which dont have less weight on the MC than others, who else likes it? I know the pc gamer guy is and they probably have a pretty heavy weight, but outside of them I dont think theres any guaranteed good reviews. Like gamespot especially is super up in the air.

I mean I feel like we are focusing on it staying over a 70, but like low 70 is considered a not good score too for an mc..
I’d imagine Easy Allies has a fairly low weighting. It seems that there can be a huge difference, with a review from IGN carrying as much as six times the weight of a lower rated publication.

I’d imagine Easy Allies has a fairly low weighting. It seems that there can be a huge difference, with a review from IGN carrying as much as six times the weight of a lower rated publication.
I meant to say they do have less weight, easy allies is still new and very small.

yes this is true, IGN absolutely holds more weight due to their status on the site, this will probably push it down considerably since theres not many reviews on it.

What kind of a bullshit system is that?! According to their faq it's because "they write better". Fucking IGN gave Imagine Party Babyz for Wii a 7.5 and God Hand a 3.0 for crying out loud. They deducted points from a Pokémon game because it had too much water.

Is this a fucking joke? How can their opinion be more important than anyone else's?

Screw this world. I'm going to sleep. :oops:

EDGE is MIA. As is Gamespot and Famitsu.

EDGE is MIA. As is Gamespot and Famitsu.
Famitsu doesn't show up on Metacritic, Gamespot and edge don't really guarantee good reviews, if anything im expectedge to be very harsh if anything since they are pretty notorious for it. Gamepsot I assume will be the same score as ign at a 6 since they only review on 1-10 not 1-100

What kind of a bullshit system is that?! According to their faq it's because "they write better". Fucking IGN gave Imagine Party Babyz for Wii a 7.5 and God Hand a 3.0 for crying out loud. They deducted points from a Pokémon game because it had too much water.

Is this a fucking joke? How can their opinion be more important than anyone else's?

Screw this world. I'm going to sleep. :oops:
They are arguably the biggest gaming journalist in the world, thats why they have weight, they are a easily verified source

Back