Shenmue 3 Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't recall that, just armchair analysts losing their shit about it "bombing" saying Darksiders was dead as a series again at the time. It's easier for game devs to make back money through other avenues nowadays regardless. Hitman 2 "bombed" and IO Interactive are already making the next one. Yakuza series sales have been dropping in Japan for years now and they aren't stopping. I think 4 is inevitable, it's what comes after that's a mystery (or if Suzuki feels pressured into completing the series with 4 or not).
yeah he said it a bit before 3's release according to the first paragraph of this

Hitman 2 on the other hand, I have no fucking idea how that one managed to get a sequel but I am eternally grateful cause those recent games are incredible and dare I say even topped blood money. I think those are a bit of a odd example of survival more so than success though, cause hitamn 6(2015, hitman, fuck this naming convention) was a legit flop and cost square millions, which resulted in IO narrowly surviving closure laying off close to half its staff and only last minute getting a deal with WB. Then hitman 2 cut corners on stuff I guess to thankfully keep its budget alot lower than we expected, most noticibly being the unfortunate loss of those cinematics being turned into a slideshow.

The DLC will contribute more to the sales.
Especially if its some type of story related add on.
I get the doom and gloom. It will ease the pain of not getting S4. But I think we're all good on sales.

While sales number won’t be great, I am much more optimistic than most people.

For first, Shenmue in general is much better known now than it was pre 2015, i’ve seen quite a few people who liked the series after playing the remasters for the first time this year, plus a few decently big streamers became fan aswell and promote the series (brutalmoose is one example).

Second, it’s set in China and it released there aswell, and it’s a big big market.

Third, Deep Silver isn’t stupid. Shenmue has a small-ish but hardcore fanbase, they know they can milk us dry with various merchandise, special editions + fan events.

And lastly, it doesn’t need to sell a billion copies to justify a sequel, for obvious reasons.

Now, my bigger worry is how Yu handled Shenmue 3’s budget and development, but i’ll save my thoughts for a future thread.

For first, Shenmue in general is much better known now than it was pre 2015, i’ve seen quite a few people who liked the series after playing the remasters for the first time this year, plus a few decently big streamers became fan aswell and promote the series (brutalmoose is one example).

Second, it’s set in China and it released there aswell, and it’s a big big market.

Third, Deep Silver isn’t stupid. Shenmue has a small-ish but hardcore fanbase, they know they can milk us dry with various merchandise, special editions + fan events.

And lastly, it doesn’t need to sell a billion copies to justify a sequel, for obvious reasons.

Now, my bigger worry is how Yu handled Shenmue 3’s budget and development, but i’ll save my thoughts for a future thread.
I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on how the budget was handled. What would be your best guess at a sales number?

It doesn't need to sell a billion copies but it does need to earn enough profit to attract publishers and investors like Deep Silver to publish and invest Shenmue 4 in the future. After all, they are businessmen who want to make money. If it's just a game to break even but not relatively profitable, why bother?

Don't really count on Chinese market. U.S. is also a big big market, do you think that the game has attracted most ordinary people to buy it so far? At least I know that most Chinese players here tend to play traditional triple A games just like U.S. players do.

This game has long been exposed to negative public opinion in China just like in the west, and people here are attacking it all the way ever since the first teaser was released. If there's anything they care about the game, it's IGN's review so that they can make more fun of it.

In fact, it's pathetic that Shenmue 3 has been used as a "tool" here to criticize IGN's reviews for Pokemon Sword/Shield and Death Stranding. Chinese players care nothing about Shenmue itself but keeping saying that if a shitty unrevolutionary game like Shenmue 3 would get 5.9 then why would unrevolutionary shitty Pokemon Sword/Shield get 9.3 and revolutionary Death Stranding (as they described) get 6.8 in "IGN's Shenmue 3 Review" threads.

Last edited:
Amazon Spain #50 best seller The Collection Edition (the standard simply doesnt appear).

Xbox one practically doesn't exists in Spain, and still Gears 5 for Xbox One it's #15, so this aren't good numbers at all.
Remember this?

It's #81 now :crying:

Great news!

Maybe bc EGS it's cheaper? It's u$25 and I think ps4 it's like u$60.
I don't know how they count and how much they take from it, but like with many others pc games you can find a little cheaper game keys in other websites than in "egs" itself.

Amazon UK :#67 (before the doom and gloom, Terminator's at #82)
Amazon USA #18 across all ps4 games consoles and accesories
Game UK #19 All PS4 games, sorted by Best Sellers.
Simply Games UK (CE Now Sold Out) #8 (D1) All PS4 games, sorted by Best Sellers
Base.Com (UK Site) SOLD OUT
Best Buy USA #1. All PS4 games, sorted by Best Sellers
Amazon JPN #29 and #49 All PS4 games, sorted by Best Sellers

It's doing fine, the frontloaded sales from fans are all gone now so this is reflecting the market as of today.

Yes Amazon UK's 67 sounds bad but there's a ton of games on Black Friday discount and they still want £46 for the standard version with no preorder incentives. Base were £38.85 by comparison and have sold out. Amazon US are more competitive at $49 which is why it's selling better there.

Not in the top #100 of best sells in Amazon France and Amazon Germany, so cross out Europe.

It's just USA, UK and JP.

Aren't some People boycotting Amazon because of the treatment of their workers? As I and another poster pointed out, very important all the Kickstarter backers buy the season pass. 60k plus buying the season pass for £11.99p or what that translates to in your local currency will go hugely towards us getting shenmue 4. Around three quarters of a million pounds/dollars! Of course it doesn't translate into sales but if you've already bought 2/3 copies and want to help shenmue in another way, this is a great and fairly inexpensive way.

Shenmue 3 is in between #5 and #15 in the PS4 charts on the big austrian shop GamesOnly.
Right now the Day One Edition is #10 and CE #13. Not long ago even the steelbook combo was in the top 20, now its #32.
The steelbook is in their merchandise charts, it was #1, #2 and now #3
and its so popular that they changed the price from 14,99€ to 19,99 and now its 29,99.

Not sure what the deep discounts are about and I certainly hope it’s not a bad sign. I think it’ll push Shenmue 3 into the top 10, however. It’s actually #1 on the Best Buy chart right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back