The Shenmue 3 Review Thread

At this point we should be content if it ends up at 70 when it's all said and done, as long as it doesn't go below 70.
Yeah of course, but when you are in 70 it's easy to go below and get 69, yesterday happened for a few hours.

I made the math and it's 71.3 actually, so I suppose they put it 70 because of that .3 (don't know how to say that in English)

So I think the solace for us Shenmue fans at least in the context of this number. There are actually plenty of great reviews in our favor. This game is in no way shape or form the 'Train wreck' that so many thought it would be.

All Yu's gotta do is hear the criticism for this game and improve it in Shenmue 4 and we'll have a truly solid rated sequel/ current gen Shenmue game.

Updated list version 4 with all the recent scores

Reviews thus far for PLAYSTATION 4 (because I'm bored) >WIP<

• DIGITALLY DOWNLOADED

9+
  • 90 - IGN Japan
8+
  • 85 - DualShockers
  • 85 - Gaming Trend
  • 83 - 4players.de
  • 80 - DarkStation
  • 80 - Gamesradar
  • 80 - Game Revolution
  • 80 - LaPS4
  • 80 - Hobby Consolas
  • 80 - Twinfinite
  • 80 - VGC
  • 80 - PlayStation Universe
  • 80 - Wfftech
7+
  • 76 - GamePro Germany
  • 75 - EveryEye.it
  • 75 - Multiplayer.it
  • 75 - The Games Machine
  • 73 - Spazio Games
  • 72 - Vandal
  • 70 - Destructoid
  • 70 - Eurogamer Italy
  • 70 - RPG Fan
  • 70 - IGN Spain
  • 70 - IGN Italia
  • 70 - Gameblog.fr
6+
  • 65 - Gamecrate
  • 65 - 3DJuegos
  • 65 - PlayStation Lifestyle
  • 60 - CG Magazine
  • 60 - GameInformer
  • 60 - Gamespew
  • 60 - CheatCodeCentral
  • 60 - Metro GameCentral
  • 60 - Worth Playing
  • 60 - VG247
5+
  • 55 - XGN
  • 50 - JeuxVideo
  • 50 - USGamer
4+
  • 45 - Gamers Heroes
  • 40 - Trusted Reviews
UNRANKED (Not on Metacritic for PS4)
  • 100 - Hey Poor Player
  • 99 - Paste Magazine
  • 95 - NicheGamer
  • 85 - Pure PlayStation
  • 82 - M! Gaming
  • 83 - PC Gamer (PC)
  • 80 - PC Invasion (PC)
  • 80 - Gamereactor
  • 70 - Gamersky (PC)
  • 70 - Screenrant (PC)
  • 70 - Gamingbolt
  • 60 - Game Reactor Norway
  • 59 - IGN America (PC)
  • 40 - Denofgeek
  • 40 - Comicbook
NOTE: The Unranked section will be color coded like the rest of the list in a future update.
NOTE: List is updated as we go along and re-posted when needed (when enough time has passed or after many reviews at once, etc)

Last edited:
Updated list version 4 with all the recent scores

Reviews thus far for PLAYSTATION 4 (because I'm bored) >WIP<

• DIGITALLY DOWNLOADED

9+
  • 90 - IGN Japan
8+
  • 85 - DualShockers
  • 85 - Gaming Trend
  • 83 - 4players.de
  • 80 - DarkStation
  • 80 - Gamesradar
  • 80 - Game Revolution
  • 80 - LaPS4
  • 80 - Hobby Consolas
  • 80 - VGC
  • 80 - PlayStation Universe
  • 80 - Wfftech
7+
  • 76 - GamePro Germany
  • 75 - EveryEye.it
  • 75 - Multiplayer.it
  • 75 - The Games Machine
  • 73 - Spazio Games
  • 72 - Vandal
  • 70 - Destructoid
  • 70 - Eurogamer Italy
  • 70 - IGN Spain
  • 70 - IGN Italia
  • 70 - Gameblog.fr
6+
  • 65 - Gamecrate
  • 65 - 3DJuegos
  • 65 - PlayStation Lifestyle
  • 60 - CG Magazine
  • 60 - Gamespew
  • 60 - CheatCodeCentral
  • 60 - Metro GameCentral
  • 60 - Worth Playing
  • 60 - VG247
5+
  • 50 - JeuxVideo (JokeVideo)
  • 50 - USGamer (UShaters)
4+
  • 45 - Gamers Heroes aka shitface
  • 40 - Trusted Reviews (Trusted by satan)
UNRANKED (Not on Metacritic for PS4)
  • 99 - Paste Magazine
  • 95 - NicheGamer
  • 85 - Pure PlayStation
  • 82 - M! Gaming
  • 80 - PC Invasion (PC)
  • 80 - Gamereactor
  • 70 - Gamersky (PC)
  • 70 - Screenrant (PC)
  • 70 - Gamingbolt
  • 60 - Game Reactor Norway
  • 60 - Game Informer (MC-bound)
  • 59 - IGN America (PC)
NOTE: The Unranked section will be color coded like the rest of the list in a future update.
NOTE: List is updated as we go along and re-posted when needed (when enough time has passed or after many reviews at once, etc)
You can also add this 100 to your unranked.

Same. I legitimately thought this game was going to get a ton of 4's and 5's after the first couple trailers. If 6 years ago someone told us we'd get a Shenmue 3 that was true to the spirit of the prior games but was critically a mixed bag, most if not all of us would have signed up for that.

I'd say a lot of us expected that though, there was a strong number of people on here saying to put our faith in Yu and he delivered. If anything, I'm just glad that the game is getting positive reviews. Because for me personally while Shenmue III is definitely not my favorite one in the series, I think in time it will be proven to be the most important for obvious reasons. I'm really looking forward to Shenmue IV as I think it will give me what I'm looking for currently in the series, which is more Lan Di character development.

Nice. It'll be a nice boost for the barren PC section of metacritic

You can also add this 100 to your unranked.

Oh man if only that was ranked...!

Both added to the list!

I'd say a lot of us expected that though, there was a strong number of people on here saying to put our faith in Yu and he delivered. If anything, I'm just glad that the game is getting positive reviews. Because for me personally while Shenmue III is definitely not my favorite one in the series, I think in time it will be proven to be the most important for obvious reasons. I'm really looking forward to Shenmue IV as I think it will give me what I'm looking for currently in the series, which is more Lan Di character development.

Oh yeah there were a good number who had faith in Yu. I didn't communicate it much because I thought it would be a debbie downer move, but while I had relative faith in Yu that he'd try his best, I did not have faith in the forces beyond his control.

You also make a very good point how Shenmue 3 could end up being very important, and that all depends how Shenmue IV shakes out. I mean look at what Shenmue II story did for part 1? A good number of people have now let go of the problems they had with that game because Shenmue II paid off certain things so well.

Back