Shenmue 3 Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing Shenmue 3 has going for it that 1 and 2 didn’t is digital sales. They can always run a promotion and sell the game at a lower price point and boost the sales.

Stay mad. I'm just relaying Romain's word about it. YsNet saw no money from that deal. And that cash wasn't used toward the developpement either.

Yeah so? Ys Net still got the money from Deep Silver for all the stuff i mentioned above.
How is this worth nothing just because Deep Silver brought back some of it with the help of Epic?
Do you think Deep Silver and Epic are giving away money for free because of sympathy?
YS Net and Shenmue 3 still benefited from Deep Silver. Where DS got their money from is their deal, not YS Net's.

I think its very funny that there is still this bubble in peoples heads where Shenmue 3
somehow is the same game as it is now but without Deep Silver or Epic and it would be a huge success.
This scenario never existed.

If YS Net would have said no to Deep Silver, then who would have paid for the delays, extra content, CE's etc?
Sony, Shibuya Productions, Sega? Yeah sure, super realistic.
You can choose between the product we have now with Deep Silver on board
or the game released in 2017 with the first look graphics and without ANY of the improvements from Deep Silver.
Those are the two realistic scenarios, thats it.
If you think the second scenario is the better one, please explain how that game would have received better reviews,
sales numbers and Metascore. Not even the Shenmue fans here were impressed by that early material.

So remind me, why is everyone so worried right now based on Japanese physical copies sold? I didn't even expect it to do much in the first place in Japan, and secondly, digital sales are not even accounted for everywhere else on both the PC and PSN. Japan has never been the place for Shenmue as ironic as that sounds, and the game has only been out for over a week. I'm not even thinking about Japan at all. That is handheld territory as it is as console gaming over there has been waning for some time now. Plus we have no idea what the future holds for 4 and what is next with it regardless of how much it sales.

Then again, I'm not worried since I feel like if we don't get 4 as a video game, then whatever since a number of people seem disappointed at where the game direction seems to be heading right now story wise. Getting 3 was a miracle in itself and I'm happy about that personally.

It didn’t sell well in the UK either.

Digital Sales are really the untold number as a whole since no one really posts those figures...we don't know one way or the other. It could be doing decently or it could be a flop.

Then there are the NPD numbers which we won't know until next month. So long as it isn't another Control and at least charts in the NPD then I'll be somewhat happy.

It's hard to say, I never realistically expected it to be a big seller considering it's an 18 year old revived franchise that is still considerably cult-like in its audience and its also had its fair share of dramas (EGS, KS Refunds, Mediocre to Average Reviews etc)

I don't know, I never expected it to be gang busting numbers. It really just depends on its total sales and what Deep Silver were realistically expecting for it. They didn't spend a lot of money advertising it by the looks of it.

I hope it does well enough to warrant further investment in the franchise, but it's all wait and see for now.

Last edited:
The number really doesn’t matter all that matters is if they see shenmue having a viable future it either will or it won’t and that’s all there is to it no point worrying.

The number really doesn’t matter all that matters is if they see shenmue having a viable future it either will or it won’t and that’s all there is to it no point worrying.
How exactly are sales numbers not the biggest influence in proving shenmue has a viable future?

How exactly are sales numbers not the biggest influence in proving shenmue has a viable future?
Because you need to start thinking more long-term. Shenmue was always going to be a slow-burn performer after launch. Steady sales over the weeks and months ahead are what will win the day. Not all this nonsense seeing portents of ruin in a couple of largely irrelevant week 1 charts.

Because you need to start thinking more long-term. Shenmue was always going to be a slow-burn performer after launch. Steady sales over the weeks and months ahead are what will win the day. Not all this nonsense seeing portents of ruin in a couple of largely irrelevant week 1 charts.

I agree. We have to remember the original goal for Kickstarter was 2 million. Deep Silver, YSNet, Sega, nobody saw Shenmue 3 raising 7 million dollars. That changed everything enabling us to have a full Shenmue experience. This is why I'm 100% confident Shenmue 4 will happen.

Develop Shenmue 4 without Kickstarter and use 7 million dollars as the baseline budget. This shouldn't be a problem since the system and assets are already in place. The really big problem would be if Shenmue 4 was a flop.

I agree. We have to remember the original goal for Kickstarter was 2 million. Deep Silver, YSNet, Sega, nobody saw Shenmue 3 raising 7 million dollars. That changed everything enabling us to have a full Shenmue experience. This is why I'm 100% confident Shenmue 4 will happen.

Develop Shenmue 4 without Kickstarter and use 7 million dollars as the baseline budget. This shouldn't be a problem since the system and assets are already in place. The really big problem would be if Shenmue 4 was a flop.

nah, cedric biscay told me they were expecting more than 2 million with the kickstarter, I can assure you

Didnt suzuki imply that shenmue 3 would of been a phone game had it not made more on the kickstarter

nah, cedric biscay told me they were expecting more than 2 million with the kickstarter, I can assure you
I think he literally means the original Kickstarter base goal, not their expectations. Obviously their expectations were higher considering they made that the cutoff amount for whether or not the project gets funded into existence at all. As far as expectations beyond that, though, I remember Cedric saying that he thought they could've raised at least another $1 million had those stories saying Sony was funding the game not come out so early in the campaign. That expectation was realistically set after they saw the E3 reaction and early donations. I don't know if he could've realistically foreseen the $7 million before they even launched the KS at all.

Didnt suzuki imply that shenmue 3 would of been a phone game had it not made more on the kickstarter
Yep, if it just barely made the $2 million cut-off iirc. Which is kind of misleading as the project was always slated for PS4 and PC going off the KS, so I assume he meant it would've been comparable to a mobile game in terms of scale and production values.

Interestingly, Media Create’s top ten has Shenmue 3 at number six rather than number four. This is partly down to Pokemon taking up two entries, but they also place Shenmue behind Death Stranding.

I really wish they published their actual sales figures rather than just positions.

Interestingly, Media Create’s top ten has Shenmue 3 at number six rather than number four. This is partly down to Pokemon taking up two entries, but they also place Shenmue behind Death Stranding.

I really wish they published their actual sales figures rather than just positions.
They used to, but stopped very recently I think a few months ago.

Yeah so? Ys Net still got the money from Deep Silver for all the stuff i mentioned above.
How is this worth nothing just because Deep Silver brought back some of it with the help of Epic?
Do you think Deep Silver and Epic are giving away money for free because of sympathy?
YS Net and Shenmue 3 still benefited from Deep Silver. Where DS got their money from is their deal, not YS Net's.

I think its very funny that there is still this bubble in peoples heads where Shenmue 3
somehow is the same game as it is now but without Deep Silver or Epic and it would be a huge success.
This scenario never existed.

If YS Net would have said no to Deep Silver, then who would have paid for the delays, extra content, CE's etc?
Sony, Shibuya Productions, Sega? Yeah sure, super realistic.
You can choose between the product we have now with Deep Silver on board
or the game released in 2017 with the first look graphics and without ANY of the improvements from Deep Silver.
Those are the two realistic scenarios, thats it.
If you think the second scenario is the better one, please explain how that game would have received better reviews,
sales numbers and Metascore. Not even the Shenmue fans here were impressed by that early material.

You're completly crazy. How is it worth noting ? Did you even read the post I was quoting ?
That post was saying "those sales headline must be a bigger problem for Deep Silver".
To which I replied "Deep Silver made a chunk of their money back already".
Where did I say Deep Silver shouldnt have been the publisher ? I'm saying "Deep Silver already got a part of their money back" to someone saying "Deep Silver must feel in bad mood seeing those sales".

Yet you decided to go completly crazy and not even read the post or the context and go completly "omg deep silver/epic blablabla". It's not the first time, you have a dozen of loose screws. I'm blocking you.

guys, again please don't be so negative :) you've to keep in mind a couple of things:
1) Shenmue III basically started with a base of 70,000+ copies sold (the Kickstarter). Most of the backers would not buy a second copy. Add 70,000 to any chart and you'd see the game would have an amazing debut everywhere.
2) Many stores and shops in Europe have few copies of the game, or it even sold-out. I think YS Net never even thought about relying on physical sales.
3) Collector's editions sold out as well. I had to buy one from Limited Run Games because in Italy, on Amazon.it, it sold out in less than 1 day and I couldn't get a copy.
4) We have Shenmue III! This is already amazing :) let's enjoy the game for now, then we'll have the DLCs... and then eventually we'll think about Shenmue IV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back