The Shenmue 3 Review Thread

Okay I kinda love the last paragraph from the LADBible review. Seriously, spread this paragraph around!!

I don't agree with parts of his review, mainly that concerning voice acting as I find it pretty good as I always play with Japanese on. Only negative is Ryo being a bit repetitious in his dialogue. I don't want the "bad" voice acting some Shenmue-fans want. But I do understand and get the charm with it.

I swear to god the 'bad voice acting' label getting slapped on this game is really starting to piss me off. For God's sake its not THAT bad ... Other than a few odd npcs here and there id rate the ENGLISH dub a 8/10. I genuinely think Im the only person who likes the English dub 🤷🏼‍♂️

I swear to god the 'bad voice acting' label getting slapped on this game is really starting to piss me off. For God's sake its not THAT bad ... Other than a few odd npcs here and there id rate the ENGLISH dub a 8/10. I genuinely think Im the only person who likes the English dub 🤷🏼‍♂️

I'm not an English dub guy but I don't get why so many reviews are knocking the game so hard on it when a Japanese dub exists.

I think it's mostly Corey's performance the reviewers dislike. I also put the "bad" in quotations because I found the dub to be quite pleasant myself when I tried it out. They are being too hard on it for sure.

7.5 from GamerNL (they're on Metacritic)

NICE! Any score above 70 is really good and important because my biggest nightmare would be to see it stuck at 69, no matter how sexy that number is.

I'll be putting GamerNL in Unranked on the list until it appears on MC.

I hope this guy isn’t publishing a review. He’s the same guy who’d publish articles to Kotaku about how pathetic the rendering of the box art on the Kickstarter was.

I hope this guy isn’t publishing a review. He’s the same guy who’d publish articles to Kotaku about how pathetic the rendering of the box art on the Kickstarter was.

He clearly thinks hes some big deal whereas in reality hes just a grade A bellend.

Hes been muted.

My dog has more followers than this guy. I’m not even joking...

Dingus like Owen give Kotaku a bad rep. Pretty sure Heather is handling the review and she is great and an honest Sega/Dreamcast fan. She should appreciate the game, but be fair in criticism.

In better news, the Gamer.nl score is now on Metacritic

Funnily enough I've just checked the PC Metacritic and after 6 reviews it's at 72. Not bad

Funnily enough I've just checked the PC Metacritic and after 6 reviews it's at 72. Not bad

Hm that is really nice. It might stay that way since like... Nobody reviews the PC version. If someone reviewed the PC version with a 100, it might end up with a green score.

Also, thanks for the heads-up! Gamestar's 80 for PC was not on my list.

Okay I kinda love the last paragraph from the LADBible review. Seriously, spread this paragraph around!!

Credit where it's due, then, to those who refused to forget. Those who hoped and wrote and campaigned for another game. Those who now have it, after Suzuki and his Ys Net studio answered, and will love it, I'm sure. They won't care about the score beneath these words or those published elsewhere. To them, and anyone else who loved Shenmue and Shenmue II, this third game is a blessing. Give it maximum marks, and get excited about Yu Suzuki saying he's every intention of making a fourth one.
And to everyone else: let the fans have their game, and direct your miss-the-point criticism elsewhere.

God damn, of all places, who would have thought that the fucking Lad Bible would have come up with just about the best summary and explanation of what this game means to us. That's genuinely wholesome, and the author 100% understands our point of view. That put a massive smile on my face!

Tell me about it. I actually can't believe there are people here who think it's worse than Shenmue 1 and even the abysmal Shenmue 2. Shenmue 3's dub is miles better. Part of it has to be nostalgia...

Okay, somehow I totally missed that the big Swedish gaming site FZ.se reviewed Shenmue III back in November 22nd.

They really get Shenmue and gave it a 4/5 praising how relaxing and charming the game is.

Added to my list, with pleasure.

Okay, somehow I totally missed that the big Swedish gaming site FZ.se reviewed Shenmue III back in November 22nd.

They really get Shenmue and gave it a 4/5 praising how relaxing and charming the game is.

Added to my list, with pleasure.
Amazing, especially since you did not actually miss it. Kämpa! ;)

Tell me about it. I actually can't believe there are people here who think it's worse than Shenmue 1 and even the abysmal Shenmue 2. Shenmue 3's dub is miles better. Part of it has to be nostalgia...

Yeah the Shenmue 2 dub was pretty bad ... Especially the voices for Joy and Ren ... Strangely enough i liked Eric Kelso as guizhang and Fukusan though. I haven't left Bailu yet so i cant judge on the whole game obviously (and no spoilers please) but I can imagine lan di's and Rens voice being pretty good. Some of my favourite voices so far are those of Shenhua, big muscle mason guy with triceps the size of my quads xD, the old blind lady and obviously Ryo's.

Back