[RELEASE][Shenmue III] Dreamcast Ryo mod

Awesome. Looks great! Turn down all the graphics settings and you've got a near-DC experience haha. Now if only his mouth moved...

Mouth movements would be cool, but probably an unrealistic ask. Might be possible to use high-poly Ryo with the better hands? Just curious, don't mean to criticize your brand new hard work haha

Your new Shen3 mods are fantastic!

I feel like Shenmue 3 would have been KILLER if it had just been made in the same graphical style as the first two. There was no way they were going to be cutting edge like they were back in the day, being just the small studio they have now. I would love for Shenmue 3 to eventually have a 'Dreamcast Style' mod suite that made the game closer to the first two, just for cohesion.

I feel like Shenmue 3 would have been KILLER if it had just been made in the same graphical style as the first two. There was no way they were going to be cutting edge like they were back in the day, being just the small studio they have now. I would love for Shenmue 3 to eventually have a 'Dreamcast Style' mod suite that made the game closer to the first two, just for cohesion.

Yup, starting with the logo,
It's probably just me but I have borderline irrational hatred towards the new UI, it just looks gaudy/cheap to me with all the gold and crystal/jelly buttons, I much prefer what d3t did.

Just some coherency please

Last edited:
Right! I feel like I kind of feel what they were going for with some of the UI elements because Shenmue went from being in a rainy, cold Yokosuka setting to where we are now- Ancient Chinese mythology in some of the story, more mystical story elements and so on. But yeah, I think you're right- I do prefer the UI of the older games. In style mostly. The new UI is very functional.

So honestly, do you guys think we will ever see fully rigged and animated facial expressions and moving mouths? I can't remember how it was done with other games, but I think I seen mods for some games where faces were fully synced to character speech. This being UE4 engine it is way more modable than other game engines.

I think the first two games look better sometimes because they colored the actual pixels to look like there was lighting instead of relying on shading the polygons with lighting. I think you get more detail that way and it probably uses less GPU resources.

Back