All Battle Rally Rewards, Chobu Locations & Tiers

Favourite title
Shenmue III

Since the DLC released early on PC I was able to download and play through the entire 'Battle Rally' DLC today. This is a little guide for those that have yet to play it or want to see the rewards, and how they should start. I'm also planning to explore the campaign to look for any possible stealth changes. Report them if you find them!

The game opens with a cute introduction that helps educate players how this DLC will work. You might want to start by finding all of the 120 Bailu Chobu. Some of these Chobu are RIDICULOUS to find, but I managed to do it with no help! If you use my stream as a reference you must scroll through the hours it took me until a better stand alone video for that is produced! Do THIS portion first as you will GAIN stat power for Battle Rally and obtain rewards from collecting the Chobu!

The Chobu prizes are pretty cool! You get the following: Shoes, White, Red, Blue Bailu Chan T - Shirts, Bailu Chan Satin Jacket & Bailu Chan Jeans for doing them all!

Now for the Battle Rally itself. Let's talk about Tiers now that there are THREE fighters in the game.

SS - Wuying Ren - Not only does Ren have crazy damage output, but he can control crowds with his move list. If you are struggling with this mode I implore you to give Ren a go.

S - Zhen Wei - Her damage isn't as good as the other two, but her graceful flurry of kicks promotes SOLID crowd control and she can knock opponents to the ground as she needs to.

A - Ryo Hazuki - He might be a legend, but in Battle Rally he is the steepest to perform with unless you spam XXA or Square Square X. The Tornado Kick doesn't carry over the coverage into this mode as I had hoped it would, and since his moves require timing; it's not your best bet when you are racing against the clock. I love Ryo, but he's a challenge to use here.

His automatic skill books are not the moves I would have selected for Battle Rally. Elbow Assault is too slow and it's range really is deceptively not great. Not to mention they actually strip him of some of his coolest moves: Burrowing Full Moon, Searing Flame....

I have some time saving strategies I'm working on for high scores and will include some future advanced guides! I wish their were more courses!

Last edited:
Thanks for setting this up man. If you wanted to set up a leaderboard within your op go for it. I can help update it as and when as I was thinking of doing a leaderboard topic anyway.

Maybe have fastest times and high scores per course?

Yes that sounds fair. And if you want to setup a High Score thread instead I can focus on this just being the guide and I can edit it out.

When does DLC go live on PSN? It’s past midnight but I can’t seem to access it? Downloaded latest patch and purchased DLC but I can’t seem to access it yet.

Many thanks for guide. Only really played first course. Realistically how long do you think it will take to clear 100% with your guide? Could I realistically do it in one sitting??

Finding the fat birds blind took me some time. There are 120 of them after all, and some of them are in some really messed up spots. I was running on little sleep, but I had some adrenaline to keep me going... and coffee. The early PC release took me by surprise.

Battle Rally is a lot of fun. It presents some difficulty, especially towards the end, but as I say in my review, it's 5-10 hour experience; maybe a little less if you really good. For the second to last course I realized that it might be best to run past a few common enemies so I could get Riley from the warehouse instead for more points. So I had to build some strategies to win some of these.

The game didn't allow me to button mash strong attacks as the enemy would foresee it. I just thought that maybe you can Shinbone Smash with Ryo, but as I was playing I didn't want to play as Ryo because I thoroughly enjoyed the new characters.There is replay value in seeking a high score and exploring the new character's move sheets.

I love smashing faces in with Ren's headbutt smash. :D It's bittersweet because I'm having fun with it and I would have loved some more courses. Hopefully they will add a few via updates if other players like it too.

Last edited:
If you buy the 'Complete DLC' then the Battle Rally DLC (which is another separate entry on PS Store) goes from charged to free and is then accessible to download.

Pro tip: Battle Rally in UK is £6.49 if I recall correctly. If you get the 'Complete DLC' it's £10.99 in UK but will unlock all future DLC upon release. So actually better value for money long term if you can get the 'Complete DLC'

If you buy the 'Complete DLC' then the Battle Rally DLC (which is another separate entry on PS Store) goes from charged to free and is then accessible to download.

Pro tip: Battle Rally in UK is £6.49 if I recall correctly. If you get the 'Complete DLC' it's £10.99 in UK but will unlock all future DLC upon release. So actually better value for money long term if you can get the 'Complete DLC'

Still not available here in Canada for PSN users. Frankly it is kind of infuriating.

If you look at your Battle Rally courses you will see tiny little stars above the number of the course you are selecting. The game wants you to get a high score with each character on each course. Maybe there is something extra to unlock if you high score them all with the three. I've been a Ren loyalist and I just notice this.

Another reason I think Ryo is pretty low tier in this mode:

I've discovered they don't bring his entire move set. Crowd control killers like: Burrowing Full Moon and Searing Flame seem to be out of the picture. I think this choice makes sense as these moves would dominate this mode.

Those looking to Shinbone Smash through this mode are in for a RUDE awakening.You will not get far doing it, but sometimes a quick low can get a quick KO for one that has fallen on the ground and takes FOREVER to get up.

Another reason I think Ryo is pretty low tier in this mode:

I've discovered they don't bring his entire move set. Crowd control killers like: Burrowing Full Moon and Searing Flame seem to be out of the picture. I think this choice makes sense as these moves would dominate this mode.

Those looking to Shinbone Smash through this mode are in for a RUDE awakening.You will not get far doing it, but sometimes a quick low can get a quick KO for one that has fallen on the ground and takes FOREVER to get up.

I noticed they took Ryos moves and gave some of them to the other characters like his jumping spin kicks are given to Wei for example. However, I honestly think Ryo is the best character to use for these modes just because of his square square x move(cant remember the name of that kick) alone is so strong and quick to follow up with another move. I am able to get top scores with ryo on all the levels by a mile away compared to the other characters. I got 81,600 as Ryo in the last stage. Some enemies you wont be able to KO them one hit but ill start with that move followed by other moves that keep stealing their turn away until they go down. I used his square,square,X followed by either elbow assault, breakout, or any other moves depending really on who im fighting (low health guys go down with 1 hit with square square x, mid health guys go down with 1 square square x followed by breakout or elbow assault, etc)

Back