Shenmue I & II Issues & Bugs Thread: Shenmue Dojo Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had not saved in 4 hours so replaying is not an option for me.

My controller did not turn off.

But I'm turned off now starting Shenmue 2 for a while, because
1) no cleared game file
2) they fucked up 1 so bad, how could 2 be any better?

I had not saved in 4 hours so replaying is not an option for me.

My controller did not turn off.

But I'm turned off now starting Shenmue 2 for a while, because
1) no cleared game file
2) they fucked up 1 so bad, how could 2 be any better?
Luckily I did save right before the end.
I read there will be an update for the PC version tomorrow 3PM BST, and hopefully this bug would be among the fixes.

Title: Ryo can’t run.

Platform: PS4

Title Version: 1.0.1

Reproduction rate: Out of the multiple times I tried, it never worked properly.

Category: Functionality, settings, gameplay, control

Priority: Medium/High

Reproduction Steps: When running is set to R2, Ryo moves at a speed slightly faster than walking, but frustratingly slow. Locking onto objects works with L2. When I swapped the controls for Ryo to run with L2, it worked, but I couldn’t lock onto anything with R2. I tried to buy something in the Tomato store (with R2) and couldn’t lock on to anything.

Observed Result: Have to keep swapping the settings every time I want to lock onto something or run.

Expected Result: Should be able to run/lock on to things without having to adjust settings every time.

Last edited:
Title: Sword in wall trigger event not firing.
Reproduction rate: 10/10
Category: Mechanics
Priority: Severe / Game Breaking

Reproduction Steps:
First day, retrived sword in Dojo.
After meeting Master Chen, and getting the sword hand guard from antiques shop.
Placed hand guard in wall, grabbed sword in order to place in the wall, won't trigger event.
Tried reloading save, exiting Dojo, different angles, etc.

Observed Result: View of hand guard on wall, button press registered. No even trigger.
Expected Result: Trigger event, where Ryo places sword in the wall and opens the secret entrance.

This one is especially bad, as I can't progress past this point. So I have to stop playing and wait ?

Last edited:
Title: Video glitch helping old lady found house

Category: Video

Priority: low

Reproduction Steps: Walk to the area that triggers the event to helping the old lady find the Yamamoto house.

Observed Result: Video glitch. The camera zooms out instead of focusing on Ryo. Instead the camera zooms out, and you can’t see this. I tried again, and the video delayed the zooming into Ryo.

Expected Result: The video is supposed to zoom into Ryo, who lifts his arm up in the ‘heroic’ pose, saying he’ll help her.

Title: Pressing X on people names on the front of their house does nothing / Can't read Iwao's letter
Category: Gameplay
Priority: High
Reproduction Rate: 5/5
Observed Result: Every time i try to read a name on a house door when i push X it does nothing. Also when i push X on Iwao's letter on his desk Ryo does not read the letter
Expected Result: Ryo should read the name on the front door and the letter of his father
Reproduction Steps: Just try it :p

Looks a little like the bug I'm experiencing. Have you tried swapping the L2/R2 controls? For me, Ryo can't run when it's set to R2, but I can lock onto objects just fine with L2. When swapped, I can't lock onto anything with R2, but can run with L2.

Don't get scared guys, I'm posting a whole string of reports now. I want to bring forth everything that can potentially be adressed.
I want the rereleases to be as good as they possibly can, taking this matter pretty serious now.
Also the reason I'm putting each one into its own post is so that they can be linked and shared more easily.

Title: Move explanation not accessible
Platform: Xbox One X / PC
Title Version: 1.3.0.0 / 1.0
Priority: Medium
Reproduction Rate: Always
Observed Result: When pressing X on a move it should display a bit of text explaining what the move does, what is history is etc. Instead it just brings up the general information screen you normally get from pausing the game. That even mentions the move explanation being accessible by pressing X.

Expected Result: Move description should pop up in a window like on the Dreamcast
Reproduction Steps: Press X on any move from the list

Title: Move list unnecessary sound effect
Category: Sound
Priority: Low
Observed Result: When pressing left on either control input on the move list it makes a sound as if it's scrolling through the list. This does not apply when pressing right.

Expected Result: There should be no sound when pressing left since nothing is happening
Reproduction Steps: Press left on any move from the list

Title: German - Wrong name for Mud Spider
Category: Text
Observed Result: In German the move "Mud Spider" is called "Tsuchigomo" wich sticks out a lot because every other move has a been translated into a very direct German counterpart of the English move name.

Expected Result: Move should have a German name like "Matschspinne" or "Schlammspinne" or "Erdspinne" for concistency
Reproduction Steps: Look at or buy the move from Bunkado Antiques and then look at it, or the move list

Title: Learned move sound effect
Priority: Low, but it is a very iconic element of Shenmue
Observed Result: After learning a move from practice, a lesson or handbook it only plays one "thud" as a sound effect.

Expected Result: There should be three "thuds" like "dun dun dunnn" just like it used to be
Reproduction Steps: Learn any move anyhow

Title: Training method sound effect
Observed Result: When selecting what to focus training on in Ryo's room it only plays a "thud" sound effect after selection "Train all moves equally". When selecting hand, leg or throw moves there is also the question if you want to focus on one specific move with beeps after chosing Yes or No but it doesn't play a "thud" afterwards.

Expected Result: There should be a "thud" after chosing any of the options, just like after chosing to train all equally
Reproduction Steps: Select hand, leg or throw moves as the focus for training in Ryo's room after 8 pm

Title: Analog controls in Hang-On / Space Harrier
Title Version: 1.3.0.0 / 1.0 & 1.01
Priority: Low for Shenmue, High for the arcade games themselves
Observed Result: Analog controls in Space Harrier and Hang-On only work on the right stick. Left stick acts like the d-pad.

Expected Result: Games should be playable with smooth analog controls on the left stick aswell.
Reproduction Steps: Play arcade games and move with the left stick

Last edited:
Title: Wrong music in Guilin
Priority: Medium
Observed Result: The second cutscene in Guilin, when Ryo gets off the boat plays the wrong music. It is a duplicate of the erhu music that plays during Shenhua's flashback when she is on the swing later in the story. This is and issue carried over from the OG Xbox port.

Expected Result: It should play the correct music from the Dreamcast version LINK
Reproduction Steps: Start the Guilin chapter and see the second cutscene

Edit:
So - I fixed my sound gripes.
The issue was having the PS4 Pro running in "Boost Mode". After I turned it off, like 90% if the audio issues I had before went away! That seems to alleviate most problems associated with the pitch being to high. My assumption is that it’s focaingnthe games tick to run higher creating a raised pitch.

Hi, I would like to add my findings on PS4 Pro ver. 1.0.1
I originally posted this on Reddit, moving it here.

The main problems with the music and sounds (PS4 Verified) for d3t

Title: Music and Audio
Reproduction rate: 10/10
Priority: Severe

Reproduction Steps:

I have 4 different issues with repro steps:

Not sure if you guys from the d3t dev team check this at all, but, I was comparing the DC version side by side with the PS4 Pro and wanted to highlight some of the audio inconsistencies I found in hopes of helping you track them down. As it is, it's difficult for me to enjoy the game due to the sound.

Observed Result: Generally, all of the music is somewhere between 1 semi-tone pitched up from the original DC version. Which causes some new strange sounds and a loss the good harmonic content found in the original.Sounds are low quality with distortion and loud clipping volumes.
Expected Result: Music and audio should play at the proper pitch and with proper mix volumes and surround sound mixes.

SOLUTION: It could easily be getting pitched up somehow because of the games clock or some compression issue...
  1. Observed Result: I noticed that the biggest issues with the music and maybe even the sound in general, is that it's pitched up. It almost sounds like what happens when you don't properly convert something from 44.1k to 48k or there's some bitrate error.

2. Observed Result: The voices: There's an audible pop before and after each line of dialogue. There isn't a proper fade set? OR the code's timing for dialogue needs to be reworked. The voice overs in certain moments appear to be clipping somewhere in the channel mixer - None of these things are present in the original on DC (verified)

3. Observed Result: When turning down SFX channel via UI, it adjust the footsteps of Ryo walking on asphalt but does not change the volume of walking on grass, etc. There seem to be some improperly assigned channels in the mixer somewhere. This can be observed in other areas where sounds are extremely loud in comparison to other sounds around it. May be the same thing. None of these things are present in the original on DC (verified)

4. Observed Result: The game when played on surround sound, seems to do some strange mono/stereo set up. Where it plays the gamein mono from my center channel with far stereo sounds going to my other speakers. To get around this I have to set my system to "Stereo" mode. Is there a surround mixdown of this game?

Last edited:
On Xbox One I had bad experience for several times, when I let the console switch into "screensave" mode. You know, when the dashboard pops all kind of infos in front of the actual screen. After continuing with the game the cutscene bug appeared almost every time. The same thing happens, when you start the game directly after a standby of the console. It's better to save end quit the whole Shenmue game to have the optimal result possible.

Anyone else notice the way the sky moves when you move Ryo? Like unnaturally so, just try it.

Title: Fangmei's final goodbye scene when coming back from Kowloon and having done her birthday quest is not triggered
Reproduction rate: 1 out of 1 tries
Category: Cinematic
Priority: Moderate

Reproduction Steps:
1- Do the Fangmei's birthday quest (buy her the brooch and give it to her on march 3rd)
2- Play the game until you beat Dou Nui in Kowloon
3- Watch the cinematic

Observed Result: You don't see this scene : Expected Result: This scene is triggered right before the scene where you see Li Shao perform some katas under the Moon in the Man Mo Temple courtyard

Title: The "Nomad" Trophy doesn't pop if you have done the Fangmei's birthday quest and say goodbye to her at Li Shao's apartment before going to the Man Mo temple and leave for Kowloon
Reproduction rate: 10 out of 10 tries
Category: Trophies
Priority: Moderate

Reproduction Steps:
1- Do the Fangmei's birthday quest (buy her the brooch and give it to her on march 3rd)
2- On the last day in Wan Chai, go say goodbye to her at Li Shao's appartment
3- Go to the Man Mo Temple to trigger the scene where you leave for Kowloon

Observed Result: You don't get the "Nomad" trophy because you don't trigger the scene where Fangmei says goodbye to you in front of the Man Mo Temple, which is normal because you've already said goodbye to her in the apartment

Expected Result: You should get the trophy during the next scene where Ryo is in the bus for Kowloon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back