What's your favorite locations? Oh and Kowloon and the Harbor sucks, come at me

tumblr_ppkjc34Teb1qeiy6vo4_500.gifv

1. Bailu
  2. Dobuita
  3. Hongkong /Niaowu
  4. Kowloon
  5. Harbor

Last edited:
Can't beat Hong Kong or Dobuita. They are iconic video game locations.

Niaowu is by far my least favorite location. The lack of pedestrians and points of interest kill it for me. It feels like I'm walking through corridors rather than a city.

Wan Chai is my favorite, even more at night. I could even remember of the little park with tai chi practitioners.

Ghost Hall Bldg is the most fascinating.

Xiuying's apartments, Sakuragaoka & South Carmain for suggesting the anonymous lives behind the doors with a nostalgic vibe.

and I would put the Harbor in my top as well. I think this is the location where the art of scaling in Shenmue emerges the most, when a house is really the size of house not a box, when a building is really the size of a building, (and so are the characters).

The Old Castle of Niaowu could have been a favorite if they didn't crop it. Encountering that giant Bhudda in the place of evil with that music is something I might never forget.

1- Guilin
2- Dobuita + Sakuragaoka
3- Wan Chai
4- Kowloon
5- The Harbor
6- Bailu
7- Niaowu

While at first I kinda enjoyed Bailu... On second thought it really felt off. It has some charms but it feels like it's not what it's supposed to be as a village.

1- Langhuishan / path to Bailu (Guilin in Shenmue II)
2- Wan Chai
3- Dobuita
4- Kowloon
6- Sakuragaoka/Yamanose
7- Bailu
8- Niaowu
9- Aberdeen
10- Yokosuka's Harbor

I guess I'm not a water person 🙃

As an actual representation of China, Niaowu is pretty inaccurate.

Aside from the weird Arcade bulldogs. It isn’t dirty enough, not enough people are spitting and most of the temples would have probably been destroyed in place for unfinished concrete apartment blocks.

Last edited:
1. Wan Chai
2. Kowloon
3. Bailu / Guilin
4. Dobuita
5. Niaowu
6. The Harbor

Niaowu would’ve been higher if it hadn’t been such a ghost town.

People saying Niaowu was a ghost town must've been playing the PS4 version. It's packed in the PC version.

Niaowu would be one of my favorites if...literally anything at all happened there.

Is the PC version really that different?

On PS4 I'll be running, and then I'll stop moving but still doing the running animation, then a person will appear right in front of me.

I mostly overlooked the pop-in but when you're being blocked by invisible people you can't ignore that.

It’a definitely that bad on my PS4 Pro. I honestly can’t think of another game where that’s happened to me. Not since the 32/64 bit era at least.

My favorite location in Shenmue is the Hazuki Dojo in Yamanose itself. Due to the residence once being a former temple, the entire place has such a strong spiritual presence about it. There’s the koi pond, the Sakura tree, the deer chaser, all the interesting items located in the dojo, the Buddhist shrine, etc. On top of all that, there’s just something so intimate and comforting about this place.

My second favorite location would be Bailu Village because of its tranquil vibe. I love hearing the sounds of nature while training and just having someone warmly welcome me home everyday was wonderful. In other words, this place was warm, tranquil, serene, and dripping with atmosphere. It’s such a shame that my stay there was so short because there was so much more I wanted to learn.

My third favorite place would be Man Mo Temple. There was just something so charming about this place. However I think it comes down to two of my favorite moments in Shenmue II. The first catching leaves in order to regain your calm and the second with Xiuying so elegantly practicing under the moonlight.

Back