At least we'll know the rest of the story

Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Xenoblade
Suzuki has said that if he couldn't make a new game again,he would end the story in some other ways.There is a high probability that it will be in the form of comics, or even animation.I think that's good too, and in some ways comics and animation can do even better than games.Just look on the positive side.

Am I the only one that, in that scenario, would prefer a novel as the way to know the rest of the story? Or, even better, a novel intertwined with some illustrations and music.

A comic has too little amount of text to develop some of the charms of the series (like the deep relationship with Shenhua).

I don't like the idea of a novelization or an anime in place of a game. I don't read comics and I haven't watched anime since I was 13. I would take these options as an absolute last resort, but I continue to insist that Shenmue is a video game, not just a story (obviously). As a story alone, Shenmue is not particularly memorable or successful and I don't see how it'd come across well without gameplay. Not everyone who plays video games wants to read or watch Shenmue, so I don't think it's the logical conclusion for the series.

I saw an report about six months ago. Unfortunately, I just looked for it again and found that I could not remember where the article was.
I vaguely remember him mentioning that his story could only be expressed well through the medium of videogames. I think that there’s still some chance for S4, but if Yu didn’t give up hope on S3 after 18 years with no comic/book form, then it may be another 15 years before he might consider this alternative.

I don't like the idea of a novelization or an anime in place of a game. I don't read comics and I haven't watched anime since I was 13. I would take these options as an absolute last resort, but I continue to insist that Shenmue is a video game, not just a story (obviously). As a story alone, Shenmue is not particularly memorable or successful and I don't see how it'd come across well without gameplay. Not everyone who plays video games wants to read or watch Shenmue, so I don't think it's the logical conclusion for the series.

I agree Shenmue's story is not that special taken as a story alone. But that scenario of it being completed through a manga/novel is more like a last resort measure for the fanbase to know the rest of the story, supposing it's absolutely impossible to make new games (imagine, for example, Yu Suzuki retiring or something). Of course I think we all agree it wouldn't have been a good plan to begin with.

Maybe that would be an interesting poll, if we would prefer knowing how it ends through a comic or would prefer not to know at all.

If a novel or series of novels does come out, I think it'll be the best case.
As I'm very disappointed with S3, a dream of mine is to create a remake of the game in the same graphical style of the originals. If we get the other chapters it will be possible to remake all of them with the same graphics and controls as the original 2. That is my true dream and if it happens (the novels) I'll be more than glad to make this dream come true.

I'm with @mjqjazzbar -- I'd prefer almost any type of game over a switch of medium. If IV has to be a linear, 10 hour Telltale-style game then so be it.

If I had to pick between a manga, short anime series or novel, I'd pick novel, easy.

If not games, I'd rather see a release of the original chapter books than an actual alternate adaptation like a manga.
Do we know if these were novel-esque or more like screenplays? They'd be extremely interesting to read from a historical perspective. I think I'd prefer a new novel based on what's actually happened in the games, though, if it could be written by a competent novelist.

Personally, If S4 cannot be released properly I'd like to see any form of game over another medium. Even if we get a short game that is mostly MK11 style cutscenes, that is fine. Otherwise, the next best thing would be a stream interview with Yu Suzuki explaining the rest of the story to us while showing us storyboard pictures or whatever else he has created for the blueprint. I like to read books, but having shenmue finish in a book, comic or worst of all manga format wouldn't be something I'd want to see. Just tell us in detail what would have happened, rather than acting like it still actually happened in a written format.

Personally, If S4 cannot be released properly I'd like to see any form of game over another medium. Even if we get a short game that is mostly MK11 style cutscenes, that is fine. Otherwise, the next best thing would be a stream interview with Yu Suzuki explaining the rest of the story to us while showing us storyboard pictures or whatever else he has created for the blueprint. I like to read books, but having shenmue finish in a book, comic or worst of all manga format wouldn't be something I'd want to see. Just tell us in detail what would have happened, rather than acting like it still actually happened in a written format.

The good (or bad, depending on your view) is that it’s highly doubtful a novel would be released as a way to finish up the story. I’m banking on a game (stripped down or not), or nothing at all. Except maybe Yu giving us an overview of how it wraps up.

I've said before but I feel that if it came down to a novel/graphic novel or equivalent or nothing at all I'd take the former. I do want closure on the ending of the story after all these years in one way or another. Of course finishing it in game format is ideal, but I'm worried that to do that Suzuki will have to edit and truncate the story anyway to make it fit in fewer installments or with a reduced budget.

I'm curious to know what the fan interest is in having the original scripts released. Regardless of how it ends I would like to see what the original story was meant to be. Perhaps once all said and done we could get a petition going to have those released to the fans.

If a visual novel means having Kenji Miyawaki sprites/CGs, I sign directly.

Thing is, people advocating for different medias needs to understand something: It wouldn't be Shenmue anymore.

And moreover... You dont switch medias like this and call it a day. It's fine to write a book. But if the writing is as clumsy as Shenmue III, what's the point ? It's fine to make an anime or graphic novel, but if the scene directing is like Shenmue III, what's the point ?

There's also things that games can transmit that other medias cant. The CD4 of 2 or the different set pieces ? You cant reproduce that in a game.

I think Shenmue should remain a game. Bit I also think that if budget is a constraint, they should trim the fat. And if the team think the fat is the mood, setpieces and narration, then I think they lost something in the process. I think that making a life simulator isn't worth it anymore if you dont populate it the right way. It's nice to have drawers to open, arcade to play, shops and such. But if your world is populated by random generic characters, you just got the wrong goal.

My order of preference would be a full game, short limited game (telltale style), anime, graphic novel (similar to ones in Shenmue 2), novel, screenplay, hand written on a napkin.

If a visual novel means having Kenji Miyawaki sprites/CGs, I sign directly.

Thing is, people advocating for different medias needs to understand something: It wouldn't be Shenmue anymore.

And moreover... You dont switch medias like this and call it a day. It's fine to write a book. But if the writing is as clumsy as Shenmue III, what's the point ? It's fine to make an anime or graphic novel, but if the scene directing is like Shenmue III, what's the point ?

There's also things that games can transmit that other medias cant. The CD4 of 2 or the different set pieces ? You cant reproduce that in a game.

I think Shenmue should remain a game. Bit I also think that if budget is a constraint, they should trim the fat. And if the team think the fat is the mood, setpieces and narration, then I think they lost something in the process. I think that making a life simulator isn't worth it anymore if you dont populate it the right way. It's nice to have drawers to open, arcade to play, shops and such. But if your world is populated by random generic characters, you just got the wrong goal.

This. A visual novel with good writing and Kenji Miawaki illustrations and a great soundtrack by Mitsuyoshi, Iuchi, Koshiro and company? I'd choose that over stupid writing, plot holes, one-button booty bump qte fights, Face-Off and weird music recycling any day!

Back