Shenhua Affinity System Was Not Cut From Shenmue III

Curious about the Magic Maze as it relates to Bailu. What exactly does it do?

Going off of my play experience, I was able to run on the paths and not needing to use any analog stick, unless it was a fork.

That's my guess for magic maze.

Best way to describe Magic Maze is something along the lines of "parametric foliage" or "scalable foliage" (in very loose terms).

In other words, it places foliage dynamically as per the settings the user is running the game on and the areas in which it is used. For example, in the original games, they used this as a way to store the huge environment you're in towards the end of Shenmue II, by keeping a seed of the expected result, or rather the seed they use to initialize their RNG in the Magic Maze algo, is in essence 'the forest' you're in. This allows them to procedurally create the forest as you traverse it. Obviously these terms aren't really what we think of in todays age, but it most certainly passes for 'procedural' at a base level, as does the scheduled NPCs, which although not AI-driven, are in fact still simulated.

So... speedtree occlusion culling?
Are there any special scripts for it ? because UE already has procedural foliage and grass out of the box.

Last edited:
So... speedtree occlusion culling?
Are there any special scripts for it ? because UE already has procedural foliage and grass out of the box.

No, not really. Occlusion culling refers to culling objects deemed 'not visible'. This is a rendering pipeline feature.

Procedural foliage and occlusion culling aren't really related that much, one is a method whereby foliage, typically including things like branches and leaves, are generated according to a strict ruleset on-the-fly and the other is a method of improving performance in 3D rendering as a whole, by selectively culling objects which you deem not visible within the camera frustum.

Magic Maze is a method whereby an entire forest can be generated, and that which can be seeded with a known value which provides a certain degree of a desired result, by using prefabs of forest geometry and placing them in the appropriate positions.

So, take procedural foliage generation in UE right now, instead of defining set areas where foliage is allowed to be generated, with Magic Maze, a seed is given to the algorithm which will generate the pathing and foliage of a 'forest'.

That's what doesn't make sense, that approach is used for procedural games, where you can have different paths and have predictable environments generated, in Bailu it's always the same.
Why creating a procedural system for a static environment ?

That's what doesn't make sense, that approach is used for procedural games, where you can have different paths and have predictable environments generated, in Bailu it's always the same.
Why creating a procedural system for a static environment ?

I agree completely tbh. In Shenmue II, it was kinda needed, not just due to the scale of the forest they wanted, but also for all of those 'dynamic QTEs' etc and also the Magic Rooms in Kowloon, which is effectively using the same algorithms. They used (offline) AI to simulate locations of foliage in the example for Magic Maze and cookers and sofas etc for the rooms in Magic Rooms, and then stored that simulation data on the disk, instead of computing it at runtime. Nowadays, this stuff is like you said, procedurally generated at runtime and so if Shenmue III featured a similar forest that you see at the end of Shenmue II, it'd make perfect sense to include it. :p

Here, though, I'm fairly certain it's just used to control foliage per the graphics settings, but perhaps there was more content which intended on using this more extensively.

@Dehone Apologies for missing that.

@Godokunodan quite simply stop calling people who don't like Shenmue III haters. That language isn't welcomed. You've been warned previously anymore will result in a 24 hour ban.
Dude I didn't call anybody anything. There is a slang term called "haters" that was not the term I used. I said "Shenmue III haters" as in "people who hate Shenmue III and doggedly criticize it every day". That is not a pejoritive or an insult. It is simply a statement of description based on their behavior. I changed my "tone" and I am not actively or passively violating the terms of service.

I was given false information from this forum that the affinity system was cut. I found evidence from Yu Suzuki himself that the affinity system was in fact not cut. I am merely correcting false information. I am being falsely accused of violating the T.o.s. I have no interest in arguing with anyone here.

Last edited:
Dude I didn't call anybody anything. There is a slang term called "haters" that was not the term I used. I said "Shenmue III haters" as in "people who hate Shenmue III and doggedly criticize it every day". That is not a pejoritive or and insult. It is simply a statement of description based on their behavior. I changed my "tone" and I am not actively or passively violating the terms of service.
It's still asking for an arguement. Please be mindful

I've been saying this for a long time lmao.
Thank you sir! Now can I please be exonerated of this 24 hour ban warning? I've done nothing wrong. This is ShenmueDOJO . A dojo is supposed to be a place of learning. I am merely trying to get accurate information to the dojo. I should get a medal, not an admonishment.

I promise if anyone starts an argument with me, I will not engage, and merely click on their name and click the ignore button. I'm here to celebrate Shenmue III, not fight over it.

My point about S3 being a Kickstarter game is just highlighting the inherent issues that come with a Kickstarter project.

I don't think it's logical or reasonable to expect a sequel of this series, born from a Kickstarter, to be exactly on par with its previous games. Yes, times have changed and arguably a lot of this stuff is easier nowadays.. but it still doesn't excuse the fixed budget mixed with the large scope of the original project vision which Suzuki had. I guess that's why they ultimately had to cut some aspects.

Magic Maze for example was actually implemented, and AFAIK, it is in-use in Bailu. I think if you put yourself in Suzuki's shoes while thinking about this, it becomes a little clearer.

I don't either...hence why my expectations were way lower when it was first announced as a Kickstarter project. Hence why I was surprised they even delivered as much as they did given the budget. But at the same time, the budget doesn't automatically excuse every last thing about it either (i.e story woes, some presentation woes and so on.)

Again, I don't really care one way or the other but based on those pre release interviews and previews it did seem like there were larger ambitions for it that maybe could not be met entirely. Understandable of course given the fluctuating and uncertain budget...this is the nature of video game development in general (see the smart AI of The Last of Us compared to the dumbed down AI it shipped with)...but still, does make you wonder what else could have been and what else he had in mind if only he did have the numbers to go full scope.

I don't either...hence why my expectations were way lower when it was first announced as a Kickstarter project. Hence why I was surprised they even delivered as much as they did given the budget. But at the same time, the budget doesn't automatically excuse every last thing about it either (i.e story woes, some presentation woes and so on.)

I agree with this completely, part of me is leaning towards the 'new staff, new workflow' opinion, but meh.

Has anyone else encountered Shenhua in Niaowu and played "Face-Off" with her? I made sure to play Face Off with her as much as she wanted in Bailu, to please her because I had the affinity system in mind. Is there a direct correlation? Has anyone ever encountered Shenhua sitting in the cafe under the New Paradise Prize exchange? Adam Koralik knows Yu Suzuki. Im going to ask him to ask Suzuki if Niaowu face off is part of the affinity system.

I didn't really follow the development of S3, I just watched the trailers because I wanted to go in with as few expectations as possible so I was never 100% sure of what "the affinity system" was supposed to be. I figured it was just how affectionate Shenhua/the villagers would be toward Ryo. Shenmue isn't Mass Effect, it's not like Ryo is going to have options to be a dick to people (besides blue balling every girl he meets). It also wasn't a hugely hyped aspect of the game so I don't see its implementation as a big deal one way or the other.

Why not look at the way Persona does Social Links and try to do something similar? Just in Shenmue fashion (meaning no on screen meters and just gradual progression the more you interact with them much like building the friendship with Fang Mei in SII)
I agree so hard, especially about Shenmue not having meters. I can't believe how many people are cool with a "kung fu meter" in S3. 2006 dojo would find this unrecognizable.

I read about the Magic Maze in the KS and as I was playing S3 it occurred to me that I had no idea what it was or where it would be implemented.

But at the same time, the budget doesn't automatically excuse every last thing about it either (i.e story woes, some presentation woes and so on.)
Preach.

I agree so hard, especially about Shenmue not having meters. I can't believe how many people are cool with a "kung fu meter" in S3. 2006 dojo would find this unrecognizable.

lpshen_09_04.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

And yet Shenmue Dojo 2006 had zero problems with these?

To be clear...I don't see why anyone is annoyed at the Kung Fu meter in SIII when the game was always slyly showing you level progress in your moves as you trained them up ;) Hell, when you finished your practice sessions in Shenmue 1, it literally brought the move scroll up automatically and showed you the progress you made. There was clearly a reason they did that after you finished your practice sessions in the parking lot.

Pssst: the level system has always been there from day 1...this is still a video game after all. The only difference is III changed it.

In terms of sans meter, I mean moreso making social interactions less about leveling up aka Persona and moreso trying to make them natural aka Fang Mei where you could completely forego that relationship without ever noticing unless you constantly made small talk with her.

Last edited:
View attachment 7556

View attachment 7557

And yet Shenmue Dojo 2006 had zero problems with these?

To be clear...I don't see why anyone is annoyed at the Kung Fu meter when the game was always slyly showing you level progress in your moves as you trained them up ;) Hell when you finished your practice sessions in Shenmue 1, it literally brought the move scroll up automatically and showed you the progress you made.
This isn't the same thing as Ryo leveling up, opponents having level stats that you have to grind to beat, and an actual "kung fu" ranking being referred to in-game. Ryo's moves "evolve" the more he uses them in S1 and 2, it's not tied to his ability to win fights. I remember very strong opinions against Ryo having a level (or RPG elements in general) in the old dojo.

To be clear I don't really have a problem with it (my problem is just the grind), I actually think Ryo having a soft level cap in each game would be cool if it were implemented throughout the series.

Here, though, I'm fairly certain it's just used to control foliage per the graphics settings, but perhaps there was more content which intended on using this more extensively.
The thing is that UE already handles that automatically, grass/foliage density, fade distance, lod bias, material quality (and also uses seeds for fast iteration).
I always thought Magic Maze was supposed to be a procedural maze forest, that Ryo should escape.
About the thread, yeah, it was "always there", but the only thing I noticed is the wake up and goodbye interludes.
It's sad because I think it's one of the older concepts YS had in mind for S3, he always said that he had in mind some sort of psychological test (I think he gave the example of choosing between animals), and show the "difference between men and women" (whatever that means). I think that adding good/bad responses and a couple extra cutscenes could have gone a long way (or the telltale -she'll remember that-). Simple stuff, like her saying "I found out a place that sells Y food you liked" would have made a big difference (noticeable at least).
The rapport system does appear when the first day no one talks to you except the little girl and only talk to you when you come back with Shenhua, after that you need to introduce yourself to new people, then it's the same. I guess most of us thought that it was going to be something like a notoriety meter, or a faction system, but it's very barebones (though people not wanting to talk to you in a game that is mostly asking about directions could be somewhat exasperating).

Has anyone else encountered Shenhua in Niaowu and played "Face-Off" with her? I made sure to play Face Off with her as much as she wanted in Bailu, to please her because I had the affinity system in mind. Is there a direct correlation? Has anyone ever encountered Shenhua sitting in the cafe under the New Paradise Prize exchange?
I was able to Face-off with her at the table in the back of the Save Shenmue building. I don't recall ever seeing Shenhua at the prize cafe. Are you saying that's where you played Face-off?
I did encounter Li Feng just sitting at the cafe in front of the Bong-Bong arcade, though.

Back