Recent content by Funny Bear Burger

1. Funny Bear Burger

SPOILERS Shenmue The Animation Episode 8 "Aspiration" Thread

Oh wow, I'm so glad to have been wrong that the lack of Tomato meant we wouldn't get Izumi (or Eileen). Really fun cameos!
  2. Funny Bear Burger

SPOILERS SHENMUE THE ANIMATION EPISODE 7 "Future" THREAD

I actually did! I thought I'd get kicked out and get a game over if I didn't. After I learned that that does not happen, I have declined to pay him on subsequent playthroughs.
  3. Funny Bear Burger

SPOILERS SHENMUE THE ANIMATION EPISODE 7 "Future" THREAD

I can't believe that it's canon that Ryo stiffs the Come Over Guest House until he crashes at Xiuying's apartment.
  4. Funny Bear Burger

SPOILERS Shenmue The Animation Episode 6 "Dignified" Thread

This was the first episode where I really felt like the series was struggling under its constraints. It covered a lot of ground but didn't do the legwork to actually make the progression make sense. And the way they shuffled events around, while interesting in theory, really just made it feel...
  5. Funny Bear Burger

Shenmue The Animation Episode 5: Equal SPOILERS thread

The lack of Tomato is really disappointing since it effectively means we won't get Izumi in the Hong Kong arc. And that we missed out on a potential cameo of (former) senior managing director Hidekazu Yukawa:
  6. Funny Bear Burger

Shenmue The Animation Episode 5: Equal SPOILERS thread

Five episodes and they never once showed Funny Bear Burger :crying:
  7. Funny Bear Burger

Games Similar to Shenmue??

I echo others here who have said there is no game quite like Shenmue; it truly is one of a kind. However, depending on exactly what it is that you enjoy about the series, you can find games that scratch specific itches. For instance: If you like how "real" the townsfolk feel, then the obvious...
  8. Funny Bear Burger

Is Yu Suzuki out of touch with gaming standards?

I couldn't believe they used Impact, of all typefaces, for the menu. It's an ugly font, ill-suited to menus, and— worst of all, in my eyes— inextricably associated with Internet Memes. I'm not really sure why they didn't use either of the ones used in marketing material— this one or this one—...
  9. Funny Bear Burger

General Impressions

He has a rough idea of the story, but he's always made changes to that plan when actually making the games for various reasons, including production difficulties and audience reception.
  10. Funny Bear Burger

Story Centric Shenmue

Yes, I fully expect this to happen. Not only because the story was a common complaint in the third game, but because I imagine there's got to be some pressure or desire to get the entire story done with sooner than later— compressing it rather than expanding it. Essentially, I predict Shenmue IV...
  11. Funny Bear Burger

Vehicles for Shenmue 4?

Oh, I like this. Depending on the town, it could be done as hailing a taxi, a horse-drawn carriage or even a rickshaw driver.
  12. Funny Bear Burger

This is very important to remember, too. Shenmue may be Yu Suzuki's baby, but it was a team effort; if YSNet has trouble reaching the highs of I and II, it's because any team would have troubles matching Sega at their creative peak!
  13. Funny Bear Burger

Is there enough enthusiasm for a Shenmue 4?

Oh yeah, the comments from the great unwashed masses are horrible, but unfortunately that's just how these things go these days— Kickstarter brings out the worst, most entitled attitudes from gamers, and social media trades in outrage and amplifies the loudest voices. Some jackasses on Twitter...
  14. Funny Bear Burger

I think framing it as being "out of touch" is odd and even the wrong way to look at it, frankly, because Shenmue isn't a series that had previously reflected contemporary trends. You could say that the whole "F.R.E.E." system was part of a drive to make something "open world"… but Shenmue I's...
  15. Funny Bear Burger

Is there enough enthusiasm for a Shenmue 4?

What's this about the press trying to defame Yu Suzuki? I know there's some journalists who have an utter loathing for the series, but I've never seen anything from respectable, mainstream outlets denigrating the man himself…
Back