Recent content by Life_247

1. Life_247

To what extent does SEGA have the rights to Shenmue's name?

How would you argue that game (however much we love it - however great and revolutionairy it was) that cost so much money that to recoup it everyone who owned that platform would of had to buy it twice made buisness sense to do a sequel to? They made 1 & 2 together and split them into two games...
  2. Life_247

Shenmue III on Xbox...

Having moved to the Series X I would love to see this come out (especially as the console scales games from the last gen so well). I assume its down to licensing and Sony putting a certain amount of money in. With it being on the unreal engine you'd have to imagine there wouldn't be a huge...
  3. Life_247

Sega to spend $1bn... Maybe it's on shenmue 4?

I mean maybe 1 Billion Yen but not $. The bad news is if it was true it would be a LONG way off - it would be one hell of a game but it would take some time to burn through that development cash.
  4. Life_247

Unreal Engine 5

This isn't quite true - the main features of Unreal 5 are targetted at reducing work with lighting and LOD (Level Of Detail) as well as targeting features of next gen consoles (SSD drives and their specific hardware). These features for small and medium teams take away a lot of the optimization...
  5. Life_247

What Fixes Would You Make?

For sure the Stamina system is an awful piece of game design as it penalises exploration (especially early on) and also makes you need to prep before every story trigger. I kinda of understand what they were going for but its far too drastic and relies on Ryo eating 4 garlics before each...
  6. Life_247

[VGC] Google Stadia backed out of deals for Yu Suzuki (and other devs like Hideo Kojima) to create exclusive games for Stadia

I mean I would buy and play Shenmue 4 if it was exclusivly on Samsung fridge freezers so if Google or Apple want to drop Dollar, Pound, Yen or Euro to fund it I'm all for it. Reading the other things around the Google Stadia development teams they were being pushed to develop things that would...
  7. Life_247

The state of YsNET?

So a lot of the heavy work to make the game was done by contractors: NPC characters Voice Acting SFX/Music Possibly even large amount of textures etc. There will more than likely be a core team that worked on the game design, code base, level design etc. They are more than likely working on...
  8. Life_247

Luck based Mini-games, should S4 remove them ?

Nope - keep the luck based games but remove the rediculous story beats where you have to grind to silly amounts of money (that are almost impossible to hit by working). Large sums should be for powerful moves and the like. I do hope for Darts back again - that'd be the best. Also some better...
  9. Life_247

Will Suzuki change his mind and just finish the story in the anime?

I don't think S4 would need a bigger budget than S3 to be better. They have their engine, game mechanics, artwork from S3 - its on the Unreal engine so it will scale up to next-gen without complete overhauls. But if I was looking at this - surely you'd release your anime (hope its at least kind...
  10. Life_247

Do guns exist in Shenmue franchise ?

Also Shenmue is based off old Kung-Fu movies quite a bit so its "realistic" to a point but a strange idealised/stylised look at the world. Imagine its more like an old Ryo telling the story back 30 years later - its what happened but with a bit of embleishment. Furthermore to my knowledge like...
  11. Life_247

The reveal of Unreal Engine 5 and the PS5 makes me hope Shenmue IV will be a thing

There isn't any cost normally for moving between Unreal engine versions (although they probably have a commercial license rather than a revenue license - which is available to anyone, you can just go download it). It really depends where they are on the development because the engine won't be...
  12. Life_247

Unreal Engine 5

@iknifaugood - Yes it does depend on two things - 1. How much of a "new" game are they trying to make - they could do a Shenmue 2 esque same engine, new places and not much in the way of new mechanics just fixing some flaws from the first game. If thats the case then UE4 away, depending on...
  13. Life_247

Unreal Engine 5

Yup so as Kenzo stated this isn't the same as the move from UE3 to 4. It is a upgrade - also development could be scaled to target the UE5 engine. But the auto optimisation is a huge deal - if thats legit (and epic claim its real, running on a PSV dev kit and they simply captured the HDMI...
  14. Life_247

Better than Shenmue 1&2: Your thoughts?

It depends if he means the areas will be more naturally broken up rather than with "invisible walls" - that includes the combat, there are no impossible battles in Shenmue 1&2 (the only one I can think of is where you get captured with Ren). I actually beat some of those bosses before you were...
  15. Life_247

Better than Shenmue 1&2: Your thoughts?

I always assumed the Turtle racing was a joke. This is slightly part of the problem of the 3rd game for me - the self knowing in-jokes etc. This often happens to series (see Star Wars or any later series of a sitcom), they start relying on nostalgia, nods and in-jokes as method of world...
Back