The Pretentious Sophistry of Super Eyepatch Wolf and His Bad Take on Shenmue III

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should stop by the cesspit of toxicity and childlike winging that is the Star Wars fandom some time.

Videos of fully grown adult men filming themselves entering kids toy shops to compare the numbers of men vs women action figures while muttering how X amount of Rose Tico figures proves Star Wars is dying.

"Dying", that is, provided you ignore reality and pretend that the award-winning Mandalorian series, Cassian Andor series, Obi-Wan Kenobi series, Leslye Headland's new series, The Bad Batch 3D animation, Kevin Feige's next film, and Taika Waititi's next film all aren't happening.

Fuckin hell

The Internet was a mistake 🥴

Always worth remembering that we are living in the interesting era of negativity, drama and outrage.

I can knock these hyperbolic social media creators all day, but to be fair, a large portion of people, and id even say the majority of people want this content. They want drama, they want to dump on stuff and cause hysteria. They crave the negativity and in turn, content platforms of all types give it to them in spades.

Its quite mind boggling when you think about it

If you want to truly despair, type 'the last of us 2' into youtube, filter by last month, and prepare for just how child like the internet can be. Remember these are grown men and women that make these videos and it just makes my toes curl.

N2Dc.gif

If I were to make a rebuttal video to SEW, this is more or less the video I would have made. Most of his so-called criticisms were trivial (such as how “slow“ it was to pick up apples?), and his idea of an alternate ending is as ridiculous as curing geo-stigma with holy water like at the end of Final Fantasy VII Advent Children (or the beginning when Cloud gets shot point blank in the face, and all it does is knock off his sunglasses).

Shenmue 3 is 85% the game I wanted when I first finished playing Shenmue 2 back in 2001. The remaining 7 1/2% are new additions I welcomed, and the remaining 7 1/2% can be improved. Suzuki was very clear with why he changed the fighting engine and couldn’t implement grappling. I came into the game aware of this and couldn’t complain. I like how the sparring allows you to get familiar and master the new system. I actually like training with the new system.

I understand that the other games like horse stance can be a grind, but do they are good reminders of the 4 wudu to always practice without neglect, and patience. As someone who has 30 years of martial arts experience, practice is about REPETITION! If you’re a white belt or a black belt, you’re drilling the same moves during warm ups! The fact that Shenmue implements this makes me appreciate it even more!

I’ll admit the pay off of saving Shen Hua’s father could’ve been more rewarding. For example, there should’ve been more explanation as to why he was aware of Ryo coming. Ren’s introduction was underwhelming, and could’ve been more dramatic.

As for the final fight against Lan Di, the video perfectly explains it. When I first fought Xiuying in Shenmue 2, I was anticipating if you were to fight Lan Di later in Shenmue 2 (if that happened) or in Shenmue 3, there was no way you were going to land a hit on him, and he would’ve certainly fought back. Then again, I can only speak for myself on this.

Based on my interpretations, most of the criticisms give me the impression that people wanted let's say something that gave something "full" or "completed" Shenmue. Yes, we waited nearly 20 years for Shenmue 3, but we have to remember that Shenmue 3 is a small piece to a big puzzle. I can't disagree that it could've done more.

Also, much of the staff was new to UE4 from what Suzuki has been saying because little material is available in Japanese. As a foundation, Shenmue 3 is still largely true to what Shenmue is all about. It's not about just running a big world, but interacting with its people and learning about its culture. Most open world games these days don't offer that.

Sorry for the bump, but haven't had a chance to play catch up. I'm looking forward to watching this video, but i'm more pleased at the level headed responses here. I don't know when constant negativity was such a thing (although i'm willing to bet around 2016), but i've long since realised that trying to come up with reasoned conversation on many parts of the internet is just a waste of time.

Life is short. It is precious. I want to spend it doing things that make me happy. Whereas before, i'd get wound up because "ReelGamer69*" took issue because I disagree with their pithy comment, nowadays (and sometimes it's hard), I just let them get on with it. Let them stew in their hatred and bile. I'd give them the thrashing of a lifetime, but why bother?

1600106928959.png

*possibly doesn't exist...I sure hope not.

Sorry for the bump, but haven't had a chance to play catch up. I'm looking forward to watching this video, but i'm more pleased at the level headed responses here. I don't know when constant negativity was such a thing (although i'm willing to bet around 2016), but i've long since realised that trying to come up with reasoned conversation on many parts of the internet is just a waste of time.

Life is short. It is precious. I want to spend it doing things that make me happy. Whereas before, i'd get wound up because "ReelGamer69*" took issue because I disagree with their pithy comment, nowadays (and sometimes it's hard), I just let them get on with it. Let them stew in their hatred and bile. I'd give them the thrashing of a lifetime, but why bother?

View attachment 9015

*possibly doesn't exist...I sure hope not.

I can't tell you how many times I tried to have a simple and polite discussion about Shenmue 3, and the person I was talking to suddenly insulted me and what not. I swear it's so tiring to see people wanting their opinion to be the only one.

I can't tell you how many times I tried to have a simple and polite discussion about Shenmue 3, and the person I was talking to suddenly insulted me and what not. I swear it's so tiring to see people wanting their opinion to be the only one.
I remember one day when i saw this comment "People who like Shenmue III are deluded" it's really tiring to see people wanting their opinion to be the only one. 😞

I just watched the video and I was very impressed. Being a day-one fan, I learned so many new things here and for that, I am grateful.

I hope someone has posted this video on the SEPW comments thread, because we need more intelligent videos like this.

The greatest thing about this is that it's made me want to play the game again :)

Aside from Sun being a clear reference to Shun Di, one thing that escaped me completely when I played Shenmue 3 was all the Virtua Fighter parallels. Ryo is actually learning moves (e.g. body check, reverse body check, thunder palm) which are like the ones Akira Yuki uses in those games. I also had no idea Wei Zhen herself was based off the Virtua Fighter series!

I remember one day when i saw this comment "People who like Shenmue III are deluded" it's really tiring to see people wanting their opinion to be the only one. 😞

I remember the last time I tried to have a simple discussion about Shenmue 3, it was over on reddit. When guy said that "Shenmue 3 was pure garbage and one of the worst gaming experience I [he] ever had" to which I answered "I think you're exaggerating about this. Shenmue 3 is disappointing and not as good as Shenmue 1&2 [I personally rate it 6/10], but it is not pure garbage. Out there, there are REAL pure garbage games, that are barley playable and where absolutely nothing works, while Shenmue 3 still has some genuine qualities and is still enjoyable for many parts. And I can show you a few YouTubers who took time to play actual garbage games, and you may be able to see why Shenmue 3 isn't one of them" to which he answered "I don't care what you'll say. You can argue until you're face get blue and you scream [like, dude, I'm being polite and calm, you're the one getting all angry], I won't listen to someone like you who don't understand gaming", so I just said "OK" and let it go. I can't comprehend how and why those people don't even want to have a genuine discussion. I'm not saying that they should suddenly like Shenmue 3, they have every right not to, but at least, stop thinking that you're opinion is the only real one.

On another note, one French journalist from Canard PC once said something really interesting, that I think is true and can explain why people shit on Shenmue so much. He said (and it was unrelated to Shenmue in this context) that we were living in a "golden age" of video games and that so many games were released every year and such great games that today it is almost impossible to play a really bad game by mistake and that people also became very picky because they were too used to play good games.

I think it's the case with Shenmue 3. Shenmue 3 isn't a great game (by my opinion), but it is far from being a bad game and from being a garbage game. The thing is, people who shit on it probably played only good to excellent games in the recent years, and so having to play a game that is a bit below those games are "garbage" to them, while it objectively isn't.

Like I said, I look often over a YouTuber who like to play the worst games you can find on Steam. Games that actually deserves to be called garbage and be rated 1-2-3/10, games that are so so bad that they are barely playable at all. The problem is that most people don't even hear about those games, so they can't judge what is a really bad game.

I remember the last time I tried to have a simple discussion about Shenmue 3, it was over on reddit. When guy said that "Shenmue 3 was pure garbage and one of the worst gaming experience I [he] ever had" to which I answered "I think you're exaggerating about this. Shenmue 3 is disappointing and not as good as Shenmue 1&2 [I personally rate it 6/10], but it is not pure garbage. Out there, there are REAL pure garbage games, that are barley playable and where absolutely nothing works, while Shenmue 3 still has some genuine qualities and is still enjoyable for many parts. And I can show you a few YouTubers who took time to play actual garbage games, and you may be able to see why Shenmue 3 isn't one of them" to which he answered "I don't care what you'll say. You can argue until you're face get blue and you scream [like, dude, I'm being polite and calm, you're the one getting all angry], I won't listen to someone like you who don't understand gaming", so I just said "OK" and let it go. I can't comprehend how and why those people don't even want to have a genuine discussion. I'm not saying that they should suddenly like Shenmue 3, they have every right not to, but at least, stop thinking that you're opinion is the only real one.

On another note, one French journalist from Canard PC once said something really interesting, that I think is true and can explain why people shit on Shenmue so much. He said (and it was unrelated to Shenmue in this context) that we were living in a "golden age" of video games and that so many games were released every year and such great games that today it is almost impossible to play a really bad game by mistake and that people also became very picky because they were too used to play good games.

I think it's the case with Shenmue 3. Shenmue 3 isn't a great game (by my opinion), but it is far from being a bad game and from being a garbage game. The thing is, people who shit on it probably played only good to excellent games in the recent years, and so having to play a game that is a bit below those games are "garbage" to them, while it objectively isn't.

Like I said, I look often over a YouTuber who like to play the worst games you can find on Steam. Games that actually deserves to be called garbage and be rated 1-2-3/10, games that are so so bad that they are barely playable at all. The problem is that most people don't even hear about those games, so they can't judge what is a really bad game.

I think that it's more like because truly garbage games, or shovelware, are out of the equation. If you count them in, then it'd mean anything not broken would be an automatic 5/10. Just because it's running and not broken. But I also feel like because parts of the gaming industry review games on a different scale. For some, a 5/10 is a shitty, nearly broken game. For others... it just means an average game. Because part of the industry has broken the review scale, by handing 10s to any new and shiny title, where the average is a 7.

I personnally gave Shenmue 3 a 5/10. It doesn't make it a shitty game, just an average one in my standard. Neither good, neither bad. I gave worse scores to games more polished than Shenmue 3, with better visuals and gameplay but that failed elsewhere and I gave far better scores to games far less polished than Shenmue 3, with worse visuals but just better elsewhere. All of that is about a personnal feel about a product. But because part of the industry decided to review titles as if they were generic, impersonal titles, that you can switch off like you'd do with candies or canned food, we end up in that situation.

There's also the fact that, today, we're indeed in a golden age of video games. Not only because great games releases everyday, but because accessing older titles is even easier than before. I don't even think anymore of "how much does this games cost" but "how much time do I have to sink in that game". My reasoning nowadays is about the time I invest compared to the payoff I'll get from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back