Sigh the utter disrespect towards Yu Suzuki is appalling

Next thing you'll be telling me they don't know who Rocky Balboa or Apollo Creed are, in which case you have my permission to knock them out.

This is why I don't like fanboy-ism. PlayerEssence is a good YouTuber thats a fan of Miyamoto and Saukrai. I'm almost positive he doesnt have much knowledge on Yu Suzuki but when you pick a side you have to defend it no matter what. Thats why I embrace all platforms and creators equally. Why limit yourself when you coukd have the best of all worlds. Growing up as a young gamer I understood why there was alot of fanboying. I personally grew up from humble beginnings so having all consoles and games was not a option. I got to choose one console and would get anywhere from 3-5 games per year. I didnt start getting extensive knowledge about the gaming industry till I became a adult and could buy my own systems.

I personally had never heard of Yu Suzuki till after beating Shenmue 1. I did grow up unknowingly playing his arcade games(Virtual Fighter, Out-Run, Hang-On). I hope one day we can embrace all creators and platforms and realize that they all continually raised the bar.

This is why I don't like fanboy-ism. PlayerEssence is a good YouTuber thats a fan of Miyamoto and Saukrai. I'm almost positive he doesnt have much knowledge on Yu Suzuki but when you pick a side you have to defend it no matter what. Thats why I embrace all platforms and creators equally. Why limit yourself when you coukd have the best of all worlds. Growing up as a young gamer I understood why there was alot of fanboying. I personally grew up from humble beginnings so having all consoles and games was not a option. I got to choose one console and would get anywhere from 3-5 games per year. I didnt start getting extensive knowledge about the gaming industry till I became a adult and could buy my own systems.

I personally had never heard of Yu Suzuki till after beating Shenmue 1. I did grow up unknowingly playing his arcade games(Virtual Fighter, Out-Run, Hang-On). I hope one day we can embrace all creators and platforms and realize that they all continually raised the bar.

He's not really a fanboy though, and he's 46 years old.

That's true though that many people probally don't realize how many games he made. Seriously if you ever step in a arcade in the 80s-early 90s, most of the games people still remember, were probally made by Yu Suzuki. Outrun, afterburner, Daytona USA(this wasn't one the long lasting accolades yu has, but this was a downright phenomenon)Virual fighter, hang on, ect.

However like I said, he knows Yu Suzuki, I'm pretty sure he was just trying to clown me(but lol ended up clowning himself instead) to avoid having to admit, yea Sakurai Is't on that lv, but for what he does, he does great.

I knew who Yu Suzuki was before Shenmue. But I was a huge SEGA/Virtua Fighter nut and his name would show up in magazines all the time. Magazines would call him "SEGA's answer to Miyamoto" and that's how I knew of him. It's how I knew of both Yuji Naka and Yu Suzuki. They were always promoted in magazines as being SEGA's answer to Miyamoto.

Just ask him whether Miyamoto or Sakurai has one of their games in the Smithsonian or not? Oh wait, they don't...funny that, guess who does have one of his games in the Smithsonian for all time though ;)

It is kind of sad to me, but what can you do? The same way most will rag on Sonic in revisionist history, so too will they rag on SEGA as their legacy kind of fades. Nintendo is the populist choice. It's the one that holds the most nostalgia for a lot of these people. So of course they'll put Miyamoto and the likes on the pedestal above all else.

And that's not to say Miyamoto doesn't deserve recognition (he does), but yeah, it is sad to see the legacy of other pioneers fade in mainstream view thanks to blatant fanboyism.

Damn fanboyism. It sucks all around. I mean, I was unabashedly a SEGA kid, but even I can recognise the brilliance of other creators without having to diminish another's legacy.

I see this with Tekken fans all the time who love to bash Virtua Fighter whenever its mentioned. Yet they conveniently forget that Harada of Namco is actually quite open in praising Virtua Fighter for all it did. Not to mention Tekken wouldn't even exist without Virtua Fighter and at one point was considered an inferior clone (at least until Tekken 3 kind of whipped the series into its own).

Damn fanboyism. Why not enjoy all good things?

Last edited:
I knew who Yu Suzuki was before Shenmue. But I was a huge SEGA/Virtua Fighter nut and his name would show up in magazines all the time. Magazines would call him "SEGA's answer to Miyamoto" and that's how I knew of him. It's how I knew of both Yuji Naka and Yu Suzuki. They were always promoted in magazines as being SEGA's answer to Miyamoto.

Just ask him whether Miyamoto or Sakurai has one of their games in the Smithsonian or not? Oh wait, they don't...funny that, guess who does have one of his games in the Smithsonian for all time though ;)

It is kind of sad to me, but what can you do? The same way most will rag on Sonic in revisionist history, so too will they rag on SEGA as their legacy kind of fades. Nintendo is the populist choice. It's the one that holds the most nostalgia for a lot of these people. So of course they'll put Miyamoto and the likes on the pedestal above all else.

And that's not to say Miyamoto doesn't deserve recognition (he does), but yeah, it is sad to see the legacy of other pioneers fade in mainstream view thanks to blatant fanboyism.

Damn fanboyism. It sucks all around. I mean, I was unabashedly a SEGA kid, but even I can recognise the brilliance of other creators without having to diminish another's legacy.

I see this with Tekken fans all the time who love to bash Virtua Fighter whenever its mentioned. Yet they conveniently forget that Harada of Namco is actually quite open in praising Virtua Fighter for all it did. Not to mention Tekken wouldn't even exist without Virtua Fighter and at one point was considered an inferior clone (at least until Tekken 3 kind of whipped the series into its own).

Damn fanboyism. Why not enjoy all good things?
Yea I bet.

Well actually, Miyamoto does(infact a few of his games are if I recall), Sakurai doesn't though, so yea lol

Um I was actually a big tekken fan, and would say tekken 2 was way better then VF 1, 2 at very least(as a fighting game, the whole floaty controls, and sluggish animations kind of ruin it for me, but I understand why they are praised so much), but still I see the importance of them as in tech demos, blue-prints to 3D fighting games.

Yea so true.

I can only disagree. The parry animations alone in VF2 trounced anything Tekken 2 was doing at that time. VF2 was fast and had a ton of depth. Just trying to learn Akira and the full range of his counters was more intense than anything Tekken 2 was doing at the time (to me)

Tekken didn’t really become a thing for me until Tekken 3. That was the first Tekken game I got into. The first one where I felt they kind of started finding their own groove where as the first two games always felt a bit hit and miss to me at the time.

Don’t get me wrong. I don’t hate Tekken. I have like 800 hours on the Steam version of Tekken 7 as is.

Just yeah, at that time, I thought VF2 trounced anything Tekken was doing with ease.

VF always felt a step ahead of Tekken (to me at least)

Last edited:
There is lots to appreciate and love about other visionaries, but Suzuki edges them out because he is always a forward thinking dev. This is why he's discovered & taken the mantle of so many "Firsts" in gaming history over his peers.

On another note~ Virtua fighter turned Am2 all into Martial artists. Suzuki's boots on the ground research and applications approach to game design helped made his games stand out as ahead of it's time. Sega JP wouldn't need to hire any bodyguards since Am2 were basically free inhouse bouncers as well.

Last edited:
I first learned Yu's name through the (PAL) manual of S1. I read in there that this was not only the director of Shenmue but also the guy who made some of my favorite games like VF, Hang-On and Space Harrier.

There is lots to appreciate and love about other visionaries, but Suzuki edges them out because he is always a forward thinking dev. This is why he's discovered & taken the mantle of so many "Firsts" in gaming history over his peers.

On another note~ Virtua fighter turned Am2 all into Martial artists. Suzuki's boots on the ground research and applications approach to game design helped made his games stand out as ahead of it's time. Sega JP wouldn't need to hire any bodyguards since Am2 were basically free inhouse bouncers as well.
Yea, this puts Yu way above everyone else. In all of Japan in general, I only know of one other entity that functions like this, Studio Pierrot in the anime industry, and they have hundreds, if not thousands of people to send off on expeditions, invent new tech, ect.

Where as Yu Sazuki basically had to do it all himself(he had access to unlimited funds, but not manpower outside of when the games were actually being made)

Back