Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Tekken 7 (always Tekken 7)
PSN
danmann861
Steam
danielmann861
We're just shy of a month from entering the next generation. I was gonna wait until the end of the year to ask this but what the hell?

Your favorite games of the generation? What be they?

Top 10:
- Death Stranding

A very daring and unique project, I can see why it might not be everyone's cup of tea but it was certainly one of the stand out games for me this gen.

- Gravity Rush Remaster
I've tried not to include Remasters but I really couldn't resist this, such charming and fun adventure - Shame the sequel was so derailed.

- The Last Guardian
Another mixed reception but I was fully invested, the realisation of Trico was remarkable and it was a fantastic adventure.

- Life is Strange
My favourite game of this gen, I'm a sucker for interactive narratives as I feel it really is something that could make the gaming medium can excel in. I played this for one Episode and then the next day I was hooked, played it until 2-3am in the morning and it was bliss.

- Resident Evil VII
Another controversial choice but as polished as RE2R was I feel this game really brought back the momentum. I don;t generally like FPS and was skeptical at 1st but it was a very engaging experience. I think they nailed the right amount of input from Ethan, not being a Silent/Mute Protagonist and actually interacting with what is happening but still being very subtle as a character. Hyped for RE8!

- Shenmue III
Well, I liked it a lot! Sure it didn't deliver the narrative we wanted but the in-game Shenmue experience was intact. Like Shenmue 1 I had a schedule of going to the dojo to train, then reaching the village to proceed with the day - I'm glad this exists but hope for more story goodness in part 4.

- State of Mind
A big surprise this generation, I didn't hear much about this prior to playing but it's very similar to a Quantic Dream style game - I enjoyed in more than Detroit this gen. Once I got over the Tekken 2 Polygon models I was very invested.

- Until Dawn
Brilliant concept well realised. An interactive narrative mixed horror title. Sadly there next game Man of Medan was a lot less polished, don't think I'll be getting their next one in the series either.

- World of Final Fantasy
The aesthetic put me off for years but as soon as i jumped in I loved it! A very fun game with a compelling turn-based combat/pokemon system.

- Yakuza 0
What a comeback, I think I put this entry in for the entire series re-introduced to the PS4. For a series which relly began to struggle on the PS3 it's been a delight t osee Yakuza resurface and become such a big IP. I wasn't so keen on Judgement but Yakuza 7 looks to have the variety to bring something new so I'm very excited to get that, despite having to wait till March now.

Games that nearly made the cut:
- Final Fantasy VII R-1
- The Order 1886
- Ailen Isolation
- Wolfenstein: The New Order
- Kingdom Hearts III
- NieR Automata

Special Shout out to HD Remasters/Remakes that has made an Impact for a series:
Resident Evil - 0, 1R, 2R, 3R, 4HD, 5HD, 6HD, 7-Gold Edition, Revelations 1 & 2
Yakuza - 0, 1K, 2K, 3HD, 4HD, 5HD, 6, 7 & Judgment
Kingdom Hearts - 1FM,CoM-R, 2FM, BBS-FM, DDD, III & the lesser important games with Movie summaries - Birth By Sleep becoming on of my favourite gaming experience with the PS4 version.

These 3 franchises have has serious work to make them accessible again and I REALLY value that.

Now that I have time to write. Let's go.

Last_Guardian_Large-1024x587.jpeg

The Last Guardian -- Along with Shadow of the Colossus and ICO, this game cements that Fumito Ueda truly is the Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata of gaming rolled into one. I know that some had issues with it, but I adored every minute spent with it. They really did a good job making Trico feel like a living breathing creature. From his vast array of animations to his somewhat free will nature. He feels real and it's kind of amazing. That game does a wonderful job of having you build a bond and come to the end, I didn't want to say goodbye to Trico. A wonderful game through and through and was totally worth the wait for me. I look forward to whatever Ueda is doing next-gen.

gSQovV8KHhzbh5ZRSeB7Zm.jpg

Shenmue III -- I love it. Warts and all. Yeah, the fighting is far from the strongest of the series. The budget is hamstrung and it shows. But the feeling of Shenmue is still there. Playing it gave me pretty much everything I wanted from Shenmue and that's all I could ask for. I've even come around on the story woes. Yeah, it sucks that we didn't get the answers we were looking for, but much like The Last Guardian, I felt the game did a good job furthering that bond between Shenhua and Ryo through their nightly conversations. This game served as the "Getting to know you" chapter and further set up the conflict that is to come.

I know it's divisive among the fans, but I love the game. I loved just hanging out in Bailu. Be it picking herbs, or fishing for hours on end, or gambling, or practicing my horse stance every day and living out the WUDE. I love the fact that it finally exists. I love the fact that it gave the franchise a fresh new hope.

I love what this game stands for. Don't give up on your dreams! Because even the most impossible-seeming dream may happen. If Shenmue III could happen after a 20-year absence, then anything is possible!

yakuza-6-the-song-of-life-screen-07.jpg

Yakuza 6: The Song of Life -- I know the consensus will be in favor of Yakuza 0 as it was the game that gave the franchise new life in the West and was genuinely a great entry in the franchise. But for this long time Yakuza fan, Yakuza 6 was an amazing experience through and through. The final chapter of Kiryu was quite moving. That and the production value was top-notch throughout. Yeah, it sacrificed a lot of mainstay elements and such in the move to the Dragon Engine, but what content was there was fun. And the trade-off for full voice-acted substories was more than worth it for me. If this is Kiryu's last chapter then why not go all hands in with it? I loved it. It was a satisfying send-off for Kiryu (for me at least; maybe not for everyone else; looking at you Salty Yen). Also. Beat Takeshi man! Beat Takeshi!

Side note: Yakuza 0 is a great entry in the franchise, but Y6 was the Yakuza game of the generation for me personally.

maxresdefault.jpg

Resident Evil VII -- I'm right there with you, Vivi-Gamer. It would be very easy to put RE2: Remake here over it, but RE7 really did refresh the series in an interesting way. I expected to hate it because of the first-person perspective. I thought it was going to lose everything I liked about Resident Evil. But color me shocked! It really was a Resident Evil game in first-person. And not only that, but it did a really good job bringing the franchise back to genuine horror. After RE6 essentially went full-on Michael Bay, REVII brought it back to its roots and for the better. It clearly informed the direction of the RE2 Remake to some degree making the RE2 Remake more focused on horror over action. Yeah, REVII impressed me a whole bunch. It's a really good game through and through. It was a good way to bring the franchise back to its roots while simultaneously refreshing it and giving it somewhere new to go.

p5_cast.0.jpg

Persona 5 -- You all knew this one was gonna be mentioned! At least by me. Persona 5 is a full-on assault of style the likes of which I haven't really seen since Jet Set Radio. Every inch of this game is so incredibly well designed. The striking black and red color theme of the game, the incredibly stylish UI, the wonderfully designed in-battle hud, the acid-jazz soundtrack accompanying it all. It's just incredibly stylish in a way that most games aren't. It's like the most stylish manga/anime in-game form you've ever seen and it's truly wonderful. The story is also really good too and feels like a critique/commentary of Japan in the Abe-era. Also, it's essentially the closest we're gonna get to a really good Death Note game as there is a big part of it that feels heavily inspired by Death Note. Yeah, I loved this game. I loved the 130 hours I spent with its first run. Easily one of my favorite games of the generation.

until-dawn-listing-thumb-01-us-12aug14.png

Until Dawn -- This game did for me what David Cage games try to do and mostly fail at. And the reason it works is that it knows what it is and is proud of it. Unlike David Cage, who so desperately wants to be making Oscar bait, this game is straight-up slasher B-movie material and proud of it. And for one of these types-of-games, it's actually really fun. The choices made were kind of interesting as they did have some cause and effect. My only fault with it was that I wish it went further with the options, but hey, maybe that's just a limitation of these types-of-games? But for one of these choose your own adventure cinematic type games? I think this is the best example so far. It's really well done and nails that slasher B-movie vibe really well.

cuphead-switch-hero.jpg

Cuphead -- Based on the hand-drawn 1930's art style of the game, I would say it's one of the most beautiful games of the generation to simply look at in motion. But the game is so blisteringly hard...and all the better for it as far as I'm concerned. One of the most challenging and addicting games I played this generation. I loved the "kick-you-in-the-balls-NES-hard it provided. I LOVED the 1930's rubber hose art style. I LOVED the soundtrack. It really does deserve the praise it gets. Hell of a game!

red-dead-redemption-2-review-1024x576.jpg

Red Dead Redemption 2 -- I say this as someone who wasn't even that big a fan of the first Redemption, but RDR2 really won me over. I genuinely liked Arthur Morgan. I liked the more chilled laid back pace the game has. I liked getting lost in that world. I liked the fact that I could say greet every NPC as I passed them on my horse. I liked the random and strange things you could find in the world if you were in the right place at the right time. I liked spending days just hunting or playing poker at the tavern. In some ways, I feel it's the closest Rockstar has come to almost emulating some of the things Shenmue did long before. It made me smile and further realize just how ahead of the game Yu Suzuki really was. But yeah, that aside, I just loved everything about RDR 2. It got me.

Wall (163).jpg

Tekken 7 -- Well, considering I spent close to 1000 hours with it in total across PS4 and PC, I guess I have to say Tekken 7. I actually really got into Tekken 7 more than I ever expected to. And most of that time was mainly spent learning Ling Xiaoyu. Xiaoyu is a total badass in this game. Granted, I am a somewhat mediocre Xiaoyu player, but watching guys like Sodam rip it up with her is awe-inspiring. It's not even that it's the greatest net code of the gen or anything. The net code is, at times, super laggy and awful. But I just really enjoyed playing this game online for whatever reason. I really enjoyed learning Xiaoyu in this game. She has easily gone on to become my main. It might as well be the Ling Xiaoyu game for me at this point with how much I like her in this game. That and the game itself is pretty damn awesome. Sure, it's more Tekken. But it's really good and addicting Tekken.

PT.jpg

P.T. -- This one is kind of strange. Can we call it a game? I mean it is technically just a teaser for a game that will never exist (maybe? -- pending on rumors). But it kind of is a self-contained thing in its own right so can it be called a game? None-the-less, playing this friggin demo in the dark with headphones was fucking intense! I don't get scared easy in games, but there were many points in this teaser where I had to take the headphones off, get up, and walk around the room. It was that intense. The atmosphere in that teaser was just heavy and it didn't let up. Also, it did some really interesting things. Having you have to use a microphone to unlock the final reveal was kind of an interesting puzzle to decipher. It showed promise for something great. Shame it never happened. But at least we have the memories of PT to remind us. For that reason, I give it a nod. It really was something special in its own right and if you classify it as a complete experience, then it really holds up and is one of the most memorable things of the generation.

Also, the end promise of Hideo Kojima, Guillermo Del Toro, Norman Reedus, and Jun Ji-Ito working on Silent Hill was something that could have been fucking awesome. Damn you, Konami!

H2x1_NSwitchDS_HellbladeSenuasSacrifice_image1600w.jpg

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice -- Speaking of heavy. Play Hellblade with headphones and be prepared for one of the most claustrophobic experiences of the gen as you are subjected to voices in your head. It does an amazing job of portraying a struggle with psychosis. Much like P.T, it was wholly unique and something that should be played with headphones on to be fully immersed in. Hell of an experience! One of the gens best and sometimes overlooked.

ghost-of-tsushima-review.jpg

Ghost of Tsushima -- Man, what a game! What a game! Just riding your horse through those long blades of grass while the opening title plays out was truly a moment to behold. And the game didn't let up. Again, I loved getting lost in this world. I loved the design of the guiding winds and what it stands for. I really enjoyed the swordplay as well. Sure, it wasn't the most challenging thing in the world. But it was fun and still could kick my ass more often than not. I loved the little touches like chasing down foxes or composing haikus as you look out across the scenery. It's a really great game that just oozes mood and setting. Loved it. Was one of my favorite games of not only this year but the generation as a whole.

--------------------

So what about the rest?

Cyberpunk 2077? I struggle to know what gen this game actually is? Is it this gen or is it considered next-gen? It's almost like generations aren't even a thing anymore. That game could be amazing. It could also be completely overhyped. Time will tell. We'll find out next month.

The Last of Us Part II? I maintain that this is everything that is wrong with gaming right now and should be held up as a shining example of how not to. But I won't get into that again. So no love from me. One of the most miserable, dour, filled-with-both-self-hate-and-hate-for-its-own-audience games I've ever played. So miserable that when I was done with it, I found myself booting up Crazy Taxi just to experience the word "fun" again. I needed to be reminded that "fun" is not a dirty word in gaming. Because TLOU 2 really wants to punish you for having fun. I mean I'm all for games that want to challenge their audience. Shadow of the Colossus is one of my favorite games of all time for that very reason. It challenges your perception of right and wrong without preaching at you.

TLOU2 aims for that but feels so fucking cheap and dirty with the tricks it plays that it almost feels didactic. It constantly chastises you for your actions while entirely removing any agency from the player. Not only that, but it has a complete misunderstanding of what people liked about the original game and instead tries to chastise those people for liking Joel in the first place. I'll just say it bluntly. Fuck that game! It's a game that desperately wants you to believe it has something to say, but in actual fact, it's about as deep as a puddle.

The Witcher III? You know what? I've tried time and time again to get into this game, and I just can't get into it. It just doesn't click for me. I'm sure it's a great game but something about it just never clicked for me.

Batman: Arkham Knight? I stand by what I've always said. I really enjoyed Arkham Asylum, but for some reason, I could never really get into Arkham City or Arkham Knight. Just something about those games that lacked a certain something that Arkham Asylum had going for it. I think it was the contained nature of Arkham Asylum that did it for me. It was the Die Hard of Batman tales. One crazy night in a contained environment. Whereas the sequels were too open and too big and kind of lost that charm for me a little. Weird, right?

Uncharted 4? I enjoyed it but the pacing was kind of too sluggish for me. It felt like they tried to incorporate a little too much from The Last of Us into Uncharted and something about it just felt off to me. It didn't have the quick fire pace that I liked about the first three games. That to me is what Uncharted is. A fun pulpy action-adventure game. Whereas they tried to make Nathan Drake too serious in U4 and it just lost that certain charm that I loved about the franchise. I see what they were going for and it's not TLOU2 levels of terrible, but I don't know, the sluggish pacing just didn't do it for me and it felt like one too many TLOU touches in a game that isn't TLOU.

God of War? I've been pretty harsh on GOW in the past. But I maintain that the game lost too much of its personality in favor of trying to become The Last of Us Lite and it just didn't do anything for me. Call me crazy, but I like my Kratos to be the fury of anger and rage. Not Dad of War which is what it became. It tried so hard to appeal to those who didn't like the previous games and in doing so, it lost me. That and I still feel that previous God of War games did show different sides of Kratos. The PSP games in particular were really good at humanizing him a little. Also, I just didn't like the Dark Souls style combat in this game. I guess I just prefer the hack and slash combat of the old games. But I thought the Dark Souls combat was tedious.

Also, the enemy design was weak in this game. I remember the boss fights of God of War 3. Fighting Hercules was incredible in that game. The boss fight against Poseidon is a masterstroke of visual design. The water effects are stunning in that fight and really stand out. They were epic on another level. Whereas I can't remember one single boss fight from this new God of War game. Everything about this game was bland as bland could be and just felt like the neutering of Kratos.

Metal Gear Solid 5 -- I feel so damn conflicted with this game. On the one hand, I had a great time playing it. But the thing I come to Metal Gear games for -- be it the story -- was so underwhelming. Granted, it's the unfortunate victim of being incomplete and that's what really hurts it the most. But yeah, I feel really conflicted with it. On the one hand, I enjoyed playing it, but I can't overlook the fact that the story is somewhere between weak and ultimately unfinished and that really hurts it. I feel so conflicted with that game. I don't hate it, but I don't love it enough to praise it as one of the gens best.

Shadow of the Colossus Remake -- I loved it bar a few issues I have with its design choices, I do think Bluepoint did an outstanding job remaking it. But it is a remake and at the end of the day, like most remakes, I still have more fondness for the PS2 and PS3 versions. There is just something about the look of the PS2 version that the PS4 version lost. I know, I know, the PS2 version was hamstrung by the tech it was on and most of its visual touches that I like are limitations or camouflage. But there was something about the world that felt decayed on the PS2 version. And I felt that was kind of missing in the PS4 version as they went a bit too lush at times. Still a great remake, but like most remakes, for me, it just never quite reached that same level. Something just felt slightly off to me. Also, between a remake of SOTC and a new game by Ueda? (TLG) The new game wins hands down.

RE2 Remake -- Fantastic remake, but as I said above. I give the nod to RE7 over RE2 Remake just because it did something new with the franchise and actually paid off. But RE2 Remake is a fantastic game none the less and a really damn good remake.

Death Stranding -- Believe it or not but I still haven't played this game. So I still have no opinion on it. All I know is it was very divisive. Some loved it, some hated it. I honestly don't know because I still haven't played it.

Horizon Zero Dawn -- I really liked the world and I like the idea of robotic dinosaurs even though it still makes zero sense. But at the same time, I never actually finished the game. So I can't tell if it actually made sense at the end. I liked what I played but Persona 5 took my attention at the time and I just never got back to it to finish it.

Spider-man -- I enjoyed it while playing it, but quickly forgot about it a year later. So like most things Marvel lately. Good fun while playing through; zipping around New York was a lot of fun, but yeah, once it was done I kind of just moved on and kind of forgot about it. That's not necessarily the games fault, it's just how I feel about most things Marvel these days in general.

Phew...I think that is enough of my ramblings.

Last edited:
Great thread, was thinking of doing something similar, an entire generation review with your favourite games, worst games and best experiences. For me this is going to be very tough. In no particular order my favourite games of this generation were:

Favourites

The Witcher 3
God of War
Persona 5
The Last of Us Part 2
Ghost of Tsushima
Mortal Kombat 11
Overcooked
What Remains of Edith Finch

Honorable Mentions

Spiderman
Horizon Zero Dawn
Red Dead Redemption 2
Life is Strange
Zelda - Breath of the Wild

Special in a different way

Metal Gear Solid V - Massive disappointment but technically the best game I've ever played.

Shenmue III - Almost felt like the first time. Could not believe we got this and it simply made made me smile.

Far Cry 4/5 - Great game for dumb fun completing this with my brother.

PES 2020 - Through Share Play completed numerous seasons with my brother. Again a great experience and drama bringing back the old days of couch Co-op.

Death Stranding - Typical Kojima overthinking and over producing the story but I enjoyed the game. More importantly, I've never played a game like it so it was refreshing.

Ratchet & Clank - Just good to see a game with some colour. Fun game.

Streets of Rage - Nostalgia.

Rocket League - Another unique game and one I have fun playing.

More thoughts. Because for some reason I'm in a writing mood.

-- Streets of Rage 4 was pretty dope. That's actually one of my favorite games of this year too. My one complaint is that I wish the soundtrack had been a little more memorable. I've been listening to the Streets of Rage 2 vinyl lately and that soundtrack truly is remarkable as to how much they pulled out of the Mega Drive sound chip. Shame Streets of Rage 4's soundtrack wasn't as memorable. But the game itself was a lot of fun!

-- Sonic Mania was an awesome return to classic 2D Sonic. They got it 100% right!

-- Ratchet and Clank was a fun remake. It was really a generation of remakes, wasn't it? You can never go wrong with Ratchet and Clank though.

-- Crash Bandicoot 4 -- I'm genuinely surprised how much I'm enjoying it. It will make my end of the year list. It's a really good game and one I might consider as one of the better games of the gen.

-- Zelda Breath of the Wild was pretty good too. I enjoyed working my way through that on daily commute to work.

-- Forza Horizon 3 -- Maybe it's the local home pride and the fact it was set in Australia, but I actually really enjoyed Forza Horizon 3. It was a really fun arcadey driving game and I had a good time exploring its open world. It was a real relaxing change of pace.

-- Driveclub -- It's a shame this got so roundly shat on by most. It was actually pretty decent. It looked great. It was one of the first games of this gen that truly wowed me with its notable weather effects. Shame what happened to it. Evolution Studios deserved better.

-- Super Mario Odyssey -- I honestly think I like classic 2D Mario better than 3D Mario most of the time. I like a little challenge in my platformers. Odyssey was charming in its own right, but I felt it lacked a challenge.

-- Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze -- I missed out on this on the Wii U but picked it up on Switch. Note what I mentioned above about Mario lacking challenge? This game made up for it in spades. Challenging and fun! I always have loved Donkey Kong Country and this is a good DKC game.

Let's keep going shall we.

Super Mario 3D Land -- Do we count 3DS games as this gen? Because if so then this was THE Mario game of the generation for me. I absolutely loved this game. Best use of 3D on the system as well. Incredible game from top to bottom.

Persona 4 Golden -- I hesitate putting this in since it's a PS2 game, but then I think it's technically a complete version for PSVita so it counts. Anyways, for me, while Persona 5 has style and a really good story, Persona 4 Golden has the charming sleepy town of Inaba and THOSE characters. While I may prefer Persona 5's overall story, I still tend to prefer Persona 4's characters over P5's cast of characters. THE game to own if you ever buy a Vita. Not that you need to anymore consider Persona 4 Golden is on steam but yeah, it will always be a Vita game to me. So good, I Platinumed it twice!

Last edited:
I'll do write ups later, but my top 10 looks something like this:

Top 10:

Sonic Mania
Yakuza Zero
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Resident Evil 2
Astro Bot: Rescue Mission
Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown
Shenmue III
The Last of Us Part 2
Streets of Rage 4
Titanfall 2

Ooh,Ya Nearly Made it: Runners Up:

Uncharted: Lost Legacy
Mafia Trilogy
Alien Isolation
Batman: Arkham Knight
Street Fighter V
Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number
Control

Leave My House And Never Return For You Disappointed Me So:

Resident Evil Threemake
Doom Eternal
Yakuza Kiwami 1
Wolfenstein The New Colossus
Soul Calibur VI

I'll do write ups later, but my top 10 looks something like this:

Titanfall 2

Good call with Titanfall 2. I really enjoyed both the single player campaign and multiplayer in that game. I fell off the multiplayer though, but for the six months I dabbled in it, I really enjoyed it. It’s a shame that game got overlooked and as a result Titanfall 3 never happened. Titanfall deserved better.

I didn't play many games this gen, so I'll just put them in order of my least-favourite, to most-favourite; I didn't dislike any game I played this gen, for the most part.

10. Ryu ga Gotoku Kiwami 2

Buy Yakuza Kiwami 2 - Microsoft Store en-CA

Fantastic game, can't stand the horribly-written plot and shoehorned love interest.

9. Hokuto ga Gotoku

Hokuto ga Gotoku Japanese box art released and it looks amazing » SEGAbits  - #1 Source for SEGA News

Tons of fun, decent plot and good replay, despite it being short chapter-wise. I appreciated the nods to FOTNS and the Sega things, like having Magical Sound Shower as a song to play while driving in the Wasteland.

8. Ryu ga Gotoku 0

Yakuza 0 (2020) Xbox One box cover art - MobyGames

Another great entry in the series, supremely-overrated and not nearly as grand as the game is made out to be, but still a fantastic time to be had by all and the gameplay variations are superb; enjoyed this whether it was on PS3 or PS4.

7. Ryu ga Gotoku Kiwami

Ryu Ga Gotoku KIWAMI on PS4 | Official PlayStation™Store Singapore

My third favourite title in the series (the original), this would be similarly-high as the original, if not for the extra fighting styles (which weren't needed) and the stupid Majima Anywhere stuff; I was always cool with Majima, but this game started, "Majima-Fatigue," with me and it got VERY tired, VERY quickly. Also didn't need another Pocket Circuit thing, despite how well they did it.

Still love the core game though and additions such as Mushi King were beyond-welcomed! This is Kiryu's story and the plot is the closest to a, "Kiryu-defining plot," compared to any of the other games... until a certain other title, of course.

Played it on the PS3.

6. Shenmue/Shenmue II HD

Shenmue 1 and 2 HD Remaster is Coming to PS4, Xbox One, and PC in 2018 |  USgamer

Was great to play with faster loading times and in-bed with my Sony Xperia, so that was a plus! But I still prefer it on the Dreamcast, where I have muscle-memory ;).

II is still the best game ever made :D

5. Judge Eyes

Judge Eyes - Game Length and Fun Facts - BunnyGaming.com

A wonderful spinoff that was a joy to play from beginning to end, with a superb plot and the rest of the series' goodness, that almost every game has. Loved every second of it and while there really isn't much there to make a sequel (surely one can be done, but everything got wrapped-up pretty well), I know for a fact that I and other would welcome it. KimuTaku is a boss.

4. Ryu ga Gotoku: Ishin!

Ryu ga Gotoku Ishin! Kouryaku Shinan no Sho - Sega Retro

A phenomenal title that is truly one of the best games in the series, it is a wonderful celebration of the series up to that point in so many ways, with all of the major players returning as characters in one way or another (except for Tanimura, thank God!), subtle (and not-so-subtle) nods to previous games/plots/substories and just the whole Meiji setting; awesomesauce.

Played this on PS3.

3. Shenmue III

Shenmue's story continues with Shenmue III - GamyouCom

The game we all were waiting for... and got!

I will love any Shenmue title and this is no exception; I loved how a ton of things were setup plot-wise, to continue on in IV and that new life has been breathed into the series.

2. Ryu ga Gotoku 7

Ryu ga gotoku 7 karaoke new song collection(Ryu ga gotoku 7 hikari to yami  no yukue) by SEGA on Amazon Music - Amazon.com

The best game in the series, what an incredible piece of software from top to bottom; they changed the main characters, they changed the gameplay, the changed the setting and style of plot (I had been hoping of a mix of Triads, Jingweon and Yakuza since 2012 and finally got it! :D) and it was all done without compromising a single bit of what made the series fantastic and among the best game titles out today.

Make sure you get it when it comes out, because not only will you love it, you will be satisfied with it and thensome.

1. Ryu ga Gotoku 6

RGG6 X Joysound Karaoke [Tie in] - Yakuza Fan

As mentioned above in the Kiwami entry, 6 is the other game that defines Kiryu; a perfect bookend to his time as a playable character in the series. He is one of Sega's greatest creations and this game, while not perfect, celebrates the character we have all come to know and love. Major props to Kitano for being (IMO) the best supporting, non-playable character in the series' history and for a major setpiece, being one of the things I love most in the world. Plus, a baseball mini-game? Oh hell yes! :D

I still cannot think of that final scene without shedding a tear or two (or more); whether it is Yokoyama or anyone else, this team knows how to write stories.

We should do this when cyberpunk it's out
I thought about waiting for the end of the year to do this, but honestly? Is it considered this gen or next-gen considering it comes out after the next-gen consoles release?

I thought about waiting for the end of the year to do this, but honestly? Is it considered this gen or next-gen considering it comes out after the next-gen consoles release?
I'd say it's this gen, because it was planned to this gen. The fact the release date it's the same than the next gen it's just a coincidence.

just games i enjoyed this gen - either 9/10 or just fun.

god of war
cod war zone
bf4 (online)
doom eternal
wolfenstien games (all of them)
witcher 3 + all the dlc
last of us 2 (yes)
gta 5
spiderman
horizon zero dawn
uncharted 4
resident evil 2
sunset overdrive
shenmue 1/2 ( re-releasing the games on current gen was awesome - i had not played them since 2007/08)
shenmue 3 (not perfect but very cool and continues the story)
ratchet and clank
fallout 4
far cry 4
cod advanced warfare & cod modern warfare
dying light

as a halo fan i feel halo 5 was pretty forgettable, which is sad ( I literally can't remember the story) but my biggest gaming disappointment of this gen has to be mgs v ... i complete it (70-80 hours)..it's just a terrible mgs game and like death stranding, the story is a complete mess.. its also probably one of the worst open world games i've ever played. :crying:

i also missed out on few good looking xbox one & ps4 games, i will try them next gen.. like: hellblade, gears of war 5/6, sekiro, cupheads, bfV?... i would also like to play Super Mario Odyssey one day

Last edited:
Persona 5
The best Jrpg of all time imho, and I'm a big fan of the genre.

The Last Guardian
One of the defining games of the generation. The defenseless little kid and the fierce, huge tricophant mutually depending on one another and helping each other overcoming their respective fears was just magical.

Yakuza 0 and 6
Just incredible games all around and Y6 even got me into baseball a little bit. 0 is just the slightly better game but both were absolute GOTY material.

Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy
The graphics, the set pieces, the riddles, the exploring, the characters, the driving, the climbing, everything was good about those games, everything was fun. Never seen so much quality in a "Tomb Raider" (as a genre). game before.

The Silver Case and The 25th Ward
Technically these are not games of the current generation but since this was the first time they came out in English I decided to include them. Great story, incredible soundtrack on both games. Suda 51 may be a fucking weirdo, but damn it, he's one of the most interesting game designers on the planet.

Life is Strange
Great story, refreshingly different characters and a fitting soundtrack. Shows that you don't need a huge budget, a great combat system and a huge world. If you have a good story and tell it well, you can make an adventure game work.

S1 & 2 Ports
Finally giving us the opportunity to play these classics on current gen machines and on PC. Also my first time ever to play S2 in English which was a great new experience.

Yes, I think that pretty much covers it. Honorable mentions go to games like Worldend Syndrome, the Trails of Cold Steel Series (looking forward to part 4 which is coming later this month), Lost Ember (my favorite Kickstarter-funded game) and The Thalos Principle.

Most of my mainstream/semi-popular games already gets enough love, so I'll toss a short-list of my fav niche games I've played this gen/year into the mix. (Shenmue is a given ofc)

1.) Mask of Deception and Truth:

1602666219045.png

Love, Courage, friendship, Political theater, world building, and a serving of apocalyptic drama. What it lacks via simplistic tactical game-play presentations, it made up in a great narrative. Edge of your seat stuff man. Visual short-comings and budget animations doesn't take away from the great writing at all.

2.) Warriors All stars:

FriendlyApprehensiveJackrabbit-size_restricted.gif

Man this game is fun as heck. More so than any expectation I had going into it. I went in expecting fan-service and cash grabs, but due to the lax nature of it being a cross-over game and not taking itself srsly, the game-play department is packed with more seasonings than I thought I'd ever find.

3.) >hack/ GU re-code

1602670337889.png

Thanks Cyberconnect2 for going back and tying this cult "playing a mmo about a guy who is also playing a mmo" series up with a nice bow and ribbon. The ending in the original trilogy was quite unsatisfying for me, so seeing them revisit this series and remastering it with a new "Conclusive" episode was a small wish-come true. And this sound-track still hits me hard revisiting it decades later.

Attachments

• 1602667918779.png
    1602667918779.png
    78.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 1602670119682.png
    1602670119682.png
    511.3 KB · Views: 0
Considering this was the worst console gen since the mid-1980s when it comes to great games and overall innovation there isn't much I enjoyed, but here are the few exceptions I really loved this gen. All games played on XB1 except for PS4 exclusives)

1. Shenmue 3 - FINALLY!!

2. Shenmue 1 & 2 - (both still better than 3 overall, but 3 was fresh and new this time around)

3. Mortal Kombat 11 - Best fighter game ever made from any gen. Period.

4. Mortal Kombat XL - Second best fighter game ever made.

5. Ghost of Tsushima - easily the best new game franchise I've played in 20 years. Something completely fresh. Making it a unique standout in a generation full of wannabe 2005 era PS3/XB360-with-better-graphics games from this current gen.

6. Rise of the Tomb Raider - Lara Croft actually doesn't suck and has depth and personality for once during the reboot trilogy! Biggest shocker and most unexpected franchise I enjoyed of this gen for sure.

7. Tomb Raider 2013

8. Shadow of the Tomb Raider

9. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (late Xbox Series edition in August 2021)

That is all the titles I loved and felt connected to this generation. A few others that I thought were entertaining though lacking personal connection or depth beyond basic popcorn entertainment but were worthy of a playthrough once would be GTA 5, Sleeping Dogs and The Last of Us 1.

Last edited:
Few words, y'all know me

AC Odyssey
Pretty world

Devil May Cry 5
Fuck yeah

Dragon Age Inquisition
Lot of quests of "get 10 of this"... I like that.

Horizon zero dawn
Naisu

Nier Automata
Weirdo but want more

Rise of the Tomb Raider
Satisfactory

Shenmue I & II
Hey there

Valkyria Chronicles 4
They should do 10 more games of this

The witcher 3
Best of the best

The wolf among us
Release the second part you bunch of motherfuckers

Yakuza 0
The best of the first 3 by far.

Indies:
Coffee talk
Emily is away
Firewatch
Love Choice
Ori and the blind forest
Stardew Valley
VA-11 Hall-A
The wolf among us

Original games:
Bloodborne
Sekiro
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
The Last Guardian
Shenmue 3
Yakuza 6
Yakuza Ishin
Disaster Report 4
D4: Dark Dreams Don’t Die
The Missing: JJ Macfield and the Island of Memories
Deadly Premonition 2
Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes
Maneater
Red Dead Redemption 2
Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Hyrule Warriors
Super Smash Bros Ultimate
The Outer Worlds
Senran Kagura Estival Versus
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Undertale
Nier Automata
CrossCode
Dragon Quest 11 S
Devil’s Third
Devil May Cry 5
Bayonetta 2
Sunset Overdrive

Remasters/remakes from older gens:
Deadly Premonition Origins
Bayonetta
Okami
Whatever Castlevania has Symphony of the Night
Metal Wolf Chaos XD
Zelda: Link’s Awakening
Shadow of the Colossus
Shenmue 1 & 2
pretty much any Yakuza
The Silver Case
The 25th Ward
Killer7
Halo 2 Anniversary
Super Mario 3D All-stars

Anticipated:
Nier Replicant remaster thing
Yakuza 7
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
No More Heroes 3
Metroid Prime 4???
Bayonetta 3???

I can’t say I’ve enjoyed everything about as equally but many are ones I’ve had at least a generally good time with. A few I’m kinda waiting to play more of but others may not get the chance. I think 3D All-stars is lazy and scummy but I had to list it just because Sunshine and Galaxy are on it. Smash Ultimate’s single player is disappointing and overall is a bit meh but I’m glad characters like Ridley and K. Rool finally got in when they should have been added in Brawl. But this steve nonsense is kind of disappointing to see.

There are some games I’d like to list but might never actually want to play myself. Let it Die, I played a little of but never got far. Outer Wilds, Subnautica, both Resident Evil 7 and the RE2 remake all seem like great games. Probably many other “honorary mentions” I’m forgetting.

Last edited:
Back