Random Gaming Thoughts

Primarily for the PlayStation gamers here, what finger do you use for the bumpers and triggers? I use my index finger for both the trigger and bumper but my brother uses his middle finger for the trigger and index finger for the bumper. Who's the weird one?
When using the Xbox controller I default to index fingers for both triggers and bumpers. I think it's because our generation began with a single one on each side, whereas younger whippersnappers had two on each side to start off with.

I've been making an active effort over the last year n half to use my middle fingers for the triggers, but it feels unnatural to me and I keep returning to index for both, which can be a(n only very) slight disadvantage in multiplayer.

I bought an Elite Series 2 recently though, so maybe the additional paddles can help with that. Or perhaps they'll just confuse my fingers even more and lead to them having a complete mental breakdown.

Amazon are fucking stupid. I preordered the Switch version of the XIII remake, which was supposed to be released tomorrow, but has been delayed until Q1 2021. The other console versions are still out tomorrow.

Anyways, I just got a dispatch email and I checked my orders and they're sending me the fucking XBox One version. What the fuck did they do that for? I checked my order and it says XIII (Nintendo Switch Version), but it has a picture of the XB1 version and when you click on it, it takes you to the XB1 page.

Thanks Amazon... I could have done with the PS4 version, at least I own that console!

Edit: Managed to get it cancelled and they're returning it for a refund. The annoying thing is the delivery was combined with something else I had ordered (and actually wanted) and the only way to cancel it was to cancel both.
That's a vendor (seller) issue and happens occasionally. Nowadays - depending on the vendor - you should be able to pick the platform of your choice in the same way you do shoe sizes (meaning that there will likely be a default option), but it really is down to the vendor and whether or not that system's been implemented on your country's version of the site.

Last edited:
That's a vendor (seller) issue and happens occasionally. Nowadays - depending on the vendor - you should be able to pick the platform of your choice in the same way you do shoe sizes (meaning that there will likely be a default option), but it really is down to the vendor and whether or not that system's been implemented on your country's version of the site.
I think I follow, but the seller was Amazon, not a marketplace seller if that's what you mean. Must have just been some kind of glitch. Not a big deal, but just slightly annoying I'm now waiting for a refund and had to cancel another order I actually wanted, as it got bundled in the same delivery.

The annoying thing is I had actually decided to get the PS4 version in the end, but they seem to have had some supply issue with that version, and changed delivery date at the last minute, changing it to date pending. So I cancelled.

Picked it up from another site in the end that claimed they had it in stock and ready to dispatch for next day delivery via Royal Mail if I ordered within however many hours and paid for the service. Although it's now gone 5:30 and I can't help noticing they did not dispatch it, so I wonder if they had the same supply issues despite advertising it in stock and ready to ship. Edit: Never mind, just got the dispatch email. Clearly I'm too impatient. Edit again: Or not. The order in my account says it hasn't dispatched. Fuck knows what's going on with this shit. It would have been quicker and easier to just buy an XBox 😂

Last edited:
There's two types of vendor: Marketplace (vendor sorts everything out), and FBA (Fulfilment by Amazon) Amazon can be the latter, but they only sell Amazon products. An FBA vendor is still responsible, but there's an Amazon department that does liaise with them to try and ensure this shit doesn't happen.

I have no idea how Xbox Game Pass can be profitable for Microsoft. I wanted to see if my laptop could run Age of Empires 2 Definitive Edition (it can't) so signed up and cancelled straight away. It cost me a £1 and I have access to the entire library for a month.

Normally £8 a month, my plan is to simply sign up for a month and complete the odd Xbox game I want to play (just Fable at the moment). Just can't see how giving all your first party games and more for the cost of 1.5 games a year makes financial sense.

It's an investment for the future. On the developer side they have a big bag of cash dumped in their lap, and others are apparently paid more later for playtime.

MS are playing the long game with this one. Gone is the 12-month XBL Gold subscription, and it will eventually become completely merged with Game Pass. That means they can charge more on a rolling month-to-month basis, and most who run a business will tell you that a constant flow of income is better than huge infrequent amounts.

The fact you will need this to play games online, the sheer popularity of online play, and the number of online games being "free to download" means that eventually they'll start to see a decent return. The catalogue of games they offer, considering how strong it is, should also be enough to win people over in the long run.

Sure, they'll likely never catch up with PlayStation and Nintendo for first-party titles, but as has been said for a decade now, Xbox offers the best service. The video game industry (the AAA side in particular) is moving pretty rapidly towards the service model. Xbox is the best home for that.

They've been carving out their identity since the launch of the 360, and now seems to be the time when it's all coming to fruition.

65m active XBL users in 2019. If just under a quarter of them stay on when the transition to the XBL Gold + Game Pass monthly fee is fully complete, and assuming it's a tenner a month, that's >£1.5B/year. If they all do it, >£7.5B/year. Compare that to the £50 people pay as standard for XBL Gold (nobody pays the full amount), and that's more than doubling your annual income from online play.

Personally I doubt they'll make a massively significant profit increase compared to the Game Pass-less model when you factor in the money they pay developers for timed exclusivity and whatnot, but the increased audience will make it worth it for them.

Funny how much they're playing the game as the good guys right now (on all fronts Xbox-wise) considering what happened at the announcement of the Xbox One. MS are a massive company. They'll be fine.

Sent my Joy-Con controllers for repair for the second time last week. First time they kept drifting and this time the bumper buttons on both controllers stopped working. Weirdly, they sent a message back saying they've diagnosed a thumbstick problem as well and that's covered in the warranty but for some reason the bumper buttons aren't....

Never use the thing so contemplating whether I just sell it.

Sent my Joy-Con controllers for repair for the second time last week. First time they kept drifting and this time the bumper buttons on both controllers stopped working. Weirdly, they sent a message back saying they've diagnosed a thumbstick problem as well and that's covered in the warranty but for some reason the bumper buttons aren't....

Never use the thing so contemplating whether I just sell it.
In other words, they're blaming you for the shoulder buttons? It's crazy how such a profitable company can be so cheap. You'd think they'd just send you a new pair at this point.

lots of reports of amazon delivery drivers allegedly marking ps5 packages as "delivered" then drive off without handing them over.

there is a clip here of someone confronting a amazon driver.

lots of reports of amazon delivery drivers allegedly marking ps5 packages as "delivered" then drive off without handing them over.

there is a clip here of someone confronting a amazon driver.
This must be on a very large scale because I don't see how stupid you can be to risk your job stealing something you can probably sell for £800 or so. I hope Amazon are actually investigating these people.

Sega Lord X doesn't like Suzuki? How can you be a Sega fan and not enjoy Yu Suzuki...?

Sega Lord X doesn't like Suzuki? How can you be a Sega fan and not enjoy Yu Suzuki...?

What DBL said; with all of the videos SLX has written about super scalers, OutRun, Sega Arcade games in general, etc., etc., he has never mentioned or given a bit of talking time, to Yu.

Just an FYI, almost all of us on here know more about Sega and have played more, than he has; his channel is essentially, "my life with Sega and the things I like," rather than an objective, "all about Sega," channel, like I originally thought (his SMS content is minimal and he has almost NOTHING about the Dreamcast, aside from some compilation videos. And the SG-1000, 32X, Pico or handhelds? Good luck. I think he has 1 GG video, maybe 2).

(Rant time, sorry :()

The first video I saw of his, was the super scaler one and it is far and away his best video; super informative, lots of great content and his pretentiousness doesn't show up from the word go. As time goes on though, his videos have become much more stale; reusing the same video and content from previous videos (I'm talking the same stuff in 4 different videos), constantly shitting on good games, simply because he doesn't like them (more on this in a bit) and simply talking about the same concepts and games, in every video. Then he did the Alex Kidd episode...

(I will admit, I called the video a fraud; not the nicest way to introduce myself, I know.

I pointed out some flaws in his playing of the games: For example, in Alex Kidd the Lost Stars, there is a section with Lightning Walls that requires a bit of strategy to get through, involving jumping and patience; you can figure it out with trial and error, after a few attempts. He just pressed forward the whole time, to, "show how unforgiving the game is." I beat LS my VERY first time playing it on the SMS. Full-stop; it is NOT a hard game at all, but it does require some trial and error.

We all know AK in the Enchanted Castle (the only Genesis title) is not the best game of the AK games, but it is a solid 8/10 game, as it is more-than playable, not too difficult, has built-in systems that work and require a learning curve and is an enjoyable experience; any game that can be 1 CC'd and it isn't due to being super-easy, is a well-built game.

He shit on the game throughout the entire time and his footage didn't go past certain levels, so obviously he didn't play it enough. Not to mention, there were flaws in how he was describing the game (IE; there is an item you can obtain, to have an advantage during Rock Paper Scissors; he either didn't know or neglected to mention it). Basically, he didn't give the game a fair shake (and as a result, it made me question if he's given other games fair shakes) and I commented on that video, stating why I felt that the game is better than he gave it credit for (this included 3 points and a decent-length of a comment; you guys know how much I write lol).

EDIT*** I remember now!!! It wasn't that he neglected to mention it, HE ACTUALLY GOT ONE IN-GAME AND USED IT, only to not properly play Rock, Paper, Scissors and lose a life. I mean, when you purposely **** up in game to, "show how bad it is," come on. Fraudulent.

I then went on a tiny rant how his vids are so subjective, without mentioning that fact (and the many mouth-breathers in the comments parrot that falseness back) and that there is a fair-amount of misinformation in his videos; opinions are all fine and dandy, but don't position your opinion as the truth or, "just how things are."

He responded with, "I do opinion pieces, it's not hard to grasp."

Thanks tips. I responded back that, "that's fine, but don't say a game is shit when it isn't and you just don't like it. When you start off the video gushing over how awesome and incredible and amazing and stupendous SMB is, you're setting up the rest of the video to be a comparison to that series and the undeserved bashing on the AK games. That's not fair to the audience, etc.etc."

The VERY FIRST words in his reply were, (paraphrasing) "I don't agree with you and I want to continue this pissing match, so (not paraphrasing) HUMOR ME; what makes your opinion trump mine?"

I then reiterated what I wrote in the first comment and answered with, "if you wish to be humoured, go watch Whose Line is it Anyways? It'll do a better job than I could."

The first words of his next response? "I don't like your condescension." lol Dude, just because you can't handle constructive criticism, doesn't make me condescending.

Thus, what I thought (and hoped) to be a person of a bit of integrity and class, turned out to be a typical YouTuber, with an attitude due to their, "YouTube clout!"

I'm still subscribed to his channel and I have never NOT wanted to watch another video since then, but I just haven't watched another of his videos; no burning desire anymore, especially with so much misinformation and bootlicking.

Rant done, sorry again!

EDIT 2** Went to back to see my comment string and I think I deleted it :( lol

Last edited:
I saw that headline on... Twitter, I think.

Good to know that his kids have better taste than the masses ;)

Has anyone here played Assault Spy and have any thoughts on it? I just got the new Xbox controller and I'm absolutely awestruck by how nice it is, but I don't have any 3D games I really want to play right now until Yakuza 3 comes out on PC...

Back