Zelda Breath Of The Wild

Zelda Breath of The Wild is the best video-game ever made.
Right up there neck and neck with the first Shenmue!

Change my mind!
First Zelda game I really played and did enjoy it thoroughly. Wouldn't put it up there with Shenmue though.

My main problem with it, and something I feel Nintendo unfairly get away with all the time, is the lack of voice acting. Seriously, some may put it down to some kid of Nintendo charm but I'm sure they're taking advantage of that simply to reduce production cost.

I can see where you're coming from bro.
And even tho I never felt the game was less good because of that, I can see room for improvment for sure.
The thing is, the gameplay and exploration so fucking great here, that those "limitations" if we chose to callthem that, don't matter much. If anything at all, at least for me.

Just tell me a game that makes you feel as inteligentas this one (xD) when completing some of those crazy and creative shrines!
The way this game makes you use your inteligence and resources is just unmatched in my opinion.

It's all about the gameplay for me. And Zelda BOTW its just perfect in that department.

I'm surprised about how much I enjoyed it. I was going back and forth about whether to get it or not but took the plunge to justify the purchase of my Switch. I would play it for hours and appreciated the fact that you could just roll up on the boss at any time. Also marvelled at the physics. I can't remember the details but I got stuck on one of the dungeon puzzles and managed to craft fire and do something to complete the puzzle in a way it wasn't supposed to be completed. Then started watching videos on YouTube showing how people used the physics in the game for various reasons.

Correction, my main point of contention was weapon durability. Made me scared to use certain weapons and don't think there was every a point in the game where I appreciated that system.

When I did finish the game, I sold it without doing any of the DLC. Didn't regret it either. Most likely will get the second game.

Loved it and can say it's probably the first game I've spent 60-some hours playing to completion in 15 years. (And nowhere near 100% completion, but I saw the credits roll.)

Things I would have done differently: knock the shrine count down from 120 to 60 and make the 4 guardian levels more in line with a traditional Zelda dungeon. The formula got a tad old toward the end and the endgame at Hyrule Castle was pretty lackluster.

Recently played through the Links Awakening remake and loved that too! Also picked up a 3DS and Link Between Worlds which I've never played, but might opt to play LttP again first as I've only played that once almost two decades ago.

oh man do't even get me stated on the game's physics.
All those systems they made for the "Runes" are so well though out...
Those dudes at nintendo realy know damn well how to make good games.

Not to mention the freaking amazing OST. The game has some of the most peculiar musics I have ever heard.
Ended up loving it a LOT!
Even today, if you listen to some of those tunes like Zora's domain (day) or the Great Fairy music, they take you right back to to the game world.
Incredible suff!

I'm currently playing it; and so far I'm enjoying it a lot. Wouldn't put it up there with Shenmue as my favourite game; at least not yet.
The original Zelda still remains in my top 10 games of all times.
I would really enjoy if they made a modern remake of the original.
I can just imagine that waterfall we see in the start menu with modern graphics and the original music starting to play and everybody going completely crazy.

while I enjoyed it a lot, I do still prefer some of the older games more. Wind Waker will always be one of my favorite games in general, Majora’s Mask not far behind, but BotW may be tied with Skyward Sword in third in the series for different reasons.

The sort of obvious main thing is the open world and non-linearity. SS to me had enough amazing level design for me not to mind it being too linear for once, but BotW offered a pretty nice balance of areas where not everything needed to be a puzzle or challenge and yet still had plenty of stuff to find. SS didn’t have the best sidequests but some decent stuff. BotW is a bit hit or miss in that regard but it’s hard to fault them as much with so many NPCs and at least they make good use of areas a lot of the time.

Problems they both have are a lack of enemy variety unfortunately, and I feel that it’s been on a steady decline since WW’s kind of gargantuan amount. Thing is, BotW really has no excuse to need to just recolor enemies and call it a day. I guess maybe they had trouble finding ways to implement some enemies in a far more open setting. SS I feel had more engaging one on one battles, especially the bosses and mini bosses, though the one that I really do like in BotW were the Lynels.

The one big tell for me was that I just wasn’t excited to play it when it came out. Ever since I first tried Ocarina of Time, I’ve at least been fairly excited for every new release. With this one, for some reason I just wasn’t feeling it at the start. It did eventually grow on me but it was a slow burn. Was probably more focused on Nier Automata at the time. BotW 2 I’m certainly looking forward to now but it’s hard to say how much.

Things I’d like to see changed or different, hmm. Less of those stables and more expanded villages presuming people are rebuilding easier. I don’t agree with people who hate weapon durability but I do think it should be far slower and have repair functionality. More variety in weapon uses and not just in combat but also for puzzles. Same with more unique enemies. More focus on story, better voice direction and dialogue. Dungeons that last way longer, good bosses. Maybe upgrades similar to those in SS? Missed having those a lot.

while I enjoyed it a lot, I do still prefer some of the older games more. Wind Waker will always be one of my favorite games in general, Majora’s Mask not far behind, but BotW may be tied with Skyward Sword in third in the series for different reasons.

The sort of obvious main thing is the open world and non-linearity. SS to me had enough amazing level design for me not to mind it being too linear for once, but BotW offered a pretty nice balance of areas where not everything needed to be a puzzle or challenge and yet still had plenty of stuff to find. SS didn’t have the best sidequests but some decent stuff. BotW is a bit hit or miss in that regard but it’s hard to fault them as much with so many NPCs and at least they make good use of areas a lot of the time.

Problems they both have are a lack of enemy variety unfortunately, and I feel that it’s been on a steady decline since WW’s kind of gargantuan amount. Thing is, BotW really has no excuse to need to just recolor enemies and call it a day. I guess maybe they had trouble finding ways to implement some enemies in a far more open setting. SS I feel had more engaging one on one battles, especially the bosses and mini bosses, though the one that I really do like in BotW were the Lynels.

The one big tell for me was that I just wasn’t excited to play it when it came out. Ever since I first tried Ocarina of Time, I’ve at least been fairly excited for every new release. With this one, for some reason I just wasn’t feeling it at the start. It did eventually grow on me but it was a slow burn. Was probably more focused on Nier Automata at the time. BotW 2 I’m certainly looking forward to now but it’s hard to say how much.

Things I’d like to see changed or different, hmm. Less of those stables and more expanded villages presuming people are rebuilding easier. I don’t agree with people who hate weapon durability but I do think it should be far slower and have repair functionality. More variety in weapon uses and not just in combat but also for puzzles. Same with more unique enemies. More focus on story, better voice direction and dialogue. Dungeons that last way longer, good bosses. Maybe upgrades similar to those in SS? Missed having those a lot.
Well bro I understand. I guess some (not all) of the older Zelda fans prefer the older games, just as some of us here on the forum prefer the first Shenmue over the others, even tho 2 was up there as well.
But to me, this was my first one. And it was of the best gamming expiriences I have ever had.
The level of genius those devs at nintendo put into the game is levels above most of the games I played in my life.
The game treats you as a smart person. Not as a dumb gamer like most games, explaining everything to you like you're retarded. LOL
Those shrines with the mechanics of the runes are just fantastic in my opinion.
No game ever felt like that to me.

Back