Would You Rather... (Combat Question)

Which would you rather have?

• New Responsive/Snappy Combat - No input lag for attacks but skill moves 'require' shortcut button

• Original Combat - Input lag and you can manual 'all' input special skill moves (no changes at all)

• New Hybrid Combat - Slightly less input lag but can still manual input 'some' skill moves

Results are only viewable after voting.

gladias9

The Anime Is Better...
Favourite title
Shenmue II
The "project" is going VERY well but here's another thread asking for opinions.
Let's say I gave you a selection between these combat styles.

Responsive - Removing input lag from combat makes it feel pretty good.
It's very refreshing to press the kick button and have your kick come out instantly. Basic combat is miles more satisfying.
But you're required to use shortcuts for every 2+ button move (because your moves are performing instantaneously).

Hybrid - Reducing input lag by a small amount can enable you to use 2 or 3 button moves (depending on how fast you are) while still keeping some of that responsiveness.
Still, 4 button combos would require shortcuts.

Regardless, sparring is only minorly affected in both cases.
You have time to perform any skill move input during the slowdown QTE in sparring. Just keep inputting the command during the attack animation (like you already probably do).

Last edited:
Really looking forward to seeing all the work you're going through coming together.

Keep it up

Really looking forward to seeing all the work you're going through coming together.

Keep it up
Yeah dude.. The game feels like night and day.
Still. People want the original Shenmue 1 and 2 combat.. Gonna try to figure a way to change the inputs to see if its possible for me.

With the limitations of S3's combat design (no directional button inputs) new and snappy may be the best way to go, I'm definitely curious to try it. Best of luck!

Thank you guys so much for your feedback!!!
I've been making GREAT progress and can't wait to share it you all!

As an update: I've managed to replace MUSIC files as well as SUBTITLE files.
You're going to be seeing a lot of (optional) Story Writing & Music changes!

Snappy combat.

Awesome work. Really looking forward to the mod
Snappy may be the direction I take (albeit it'll be an optional change), on reddit it had a lot of votes as well.
I'll just have to see if changing around a few inputs works to balance the idea.

So, we all know how S3's combat says "Press kick to do a knee strike, press kick again and you'll do a straight kick". I want to remove that unpredictability entirely. For example, kick = straight kick always.

Also, since we can't do multi-button input commands manually with snappy, I want to replace some of the two-button commands with 3 or 4-button commands. For example, original game = two kicks will do sweep. mod game = two kicks will do tiger fury (a 4 button move now available with 2 inputs).

Last edited:
@gladias9 Just saw the update on reddit, I'm impressed at how quickly this is developing. Regarding Lan Di, I feel that the final battle is way too short for the amount of time we've invested as fans. Is it possible to extend the duration of the fight? This may help to alleviate the sudden whiplash of the rushed conclusion. It will also allow more time for Lan Di's lines to be heard.

@gladias9 Just saw the update on reddit, I'm impressed at how quickly this is developing. Regarding Lan Di, I feel that the final battle is way too short for the amount of time we've invested as fans. Is it possible to extend the duration of the fight? This may help to alleviate the sudden whiplash of the rushed conclusion. It will also allow more time for Lan Di's lines to be heard.
I've looked up and down for the duration, haven't found it yet.
I've found files regarding his "Block all" and turned them off, gotta playtest it though.

If anything, I want to character swap a dojo fighter or street fighter with Lan Di.. if it's possible.

@gladias9 It's a shame that the men in black suits aren't present in number 3. I think they would be far more appropriate than some of the more eclectic characters we see in the finale.
That was such a weird decision. Especially since they appear near Shenmue 2's end.
If they were at least in the game, I could've tried to swap more in.

Snappy may be the direction I take (albeit it'll be an optional change), on reddit it had a lot of votes as well.
I'll just have to see if changing around a few inputs works to balance the idea.

So, we all know how S3's combat says "Press kick to do a knee strike, press kick again and you'll do a straight kick". I want to remove that unpredictability entirely. For example, kick = straight kick always.

Also, since we can't do multi-button input commands manually with snappy, I want to replace some of the two-button commands with 3 or 4-button commands. For example, original game = two kicks will do sweep. mod game = two kicks will do tiger fury (a 4 button move now available with 2 inputs).
Looking forward to it. I'm a big fan of fighting games, so any tweaks to the combat is fascinating to me.

I'm also planning my second playthrough for Shenmue 3, But I think i'm going to wait for your mod. It's sounds really good

Back