Was Shenmue 3 comical compared to 1&2?

Yes, way too much. If you're going to have bad guys be goofy buffoons, have them be from the jump. And even then, keep it limited. Defeating the the first gang in Bailu only to have them go "yikes, let's get outta here" and bump into each other before disappearing really kills ther suspense and the severity of the threat Ryo faces

Yes, way too much. If you're going to have bad guys be goofy buffoons, have them be from the jump. And even then, keep it limited. Defeating the the first gang in Bailu only to have them go "yikes, let's get outta here" and bump into each other before disappearing really kills ther suspense and the severity of the threat Ryo faces
Like Tony and Smith in the tattoo parlor in Dobuita? Then again at the harbor? :unsure:

The shenmue comedy has always been there. Even though it has a serious story, there is a lot of goofy humour in all 3 games. It's quite similar to an anime. Love it

Face off was brilliant. It was funny and nice to see ryo let loose for once. It also was a great moment to build the bond further between ryo and shenhua.

Like Tony and Smith in the tattoo parlor in Dobuita? Then again at the harbor? :unsure:
Oh my god, they are hysterical in the Japanese version! I laugh every time Tony delivers his line to Ryo in the parking lot, without fail (even just thinking about it), even though they're both such terrible stereotypes.

Tony and Smith "Its him, I'm outta here" and left. No theatrics, they just ran out the door. Past Tony's whiny voice, which you eventually get used to and hes not really providing any type of comic relief. When you meet them at the harbor, they just say they don't know anything about the Long Zha then later on beg Ryo not to break their arm or tell the Mad Angels they squealed.

Shenmue 3, after beating the first buff boss in Bailu literally has the bad guys yell "yikes" then flail their hands in the air like they're in Team America World Police then clumsily bump into each other as they try to run away from Ryo.

S1 seemed to be a product of its time with the bad voice acting.

Then the Castle storm where the fat guy is playing belly bumps while shrine girl thumps each unsuspecting goon over the head before getting tossed overboard into the water. Then there's Ren with the one shot KO on a Lan Di bodyguard who spent 10 seconds making Bruce Lee sounds before taking his loss.

Tony and Smith "Its him, I'm outta here" and left. No theatrics, they just ran out the door. Past Tony's whiny voice, which you eventually get used to and hes not really providing any type of comic relief. When you meet them at the harbor, they just say they don't know anything about the Long Zha then later on beg Ryo not to break their arm or tell the Mad Angels they squealed.

Shenmue 3, after beating the first buff boss in Bailu literally has the bad guys yell "yikes" then flail their hands in the air like they're in Team America World Police then clumsily bump into each other as they try to run away from Ryo.

S1 seemed to be a product of its time with the bad voice acting.

Then the Castle storm where the fat guy is playing belly bumps while shrine girl thumps each unsuspecting goon over the head before getting tossed overboard into the water. Then there's Ren with the one shot KO on a Lan Di bodyguard who spent 10 seconds making Bruce Lee sounds before taking his loss.
Have you actually watched that scene recently? It's every bit as comical as those moments in Shenmue 3 (even more so in Japanese, I feel). Tony and Smith are meant to be total buffoons. They may as well be Elmer Fudd.

While i do understand a lot of the criticisms people have with shenmue 3, i do think alot of it is blown out of proportion.

I also think there will be a portion of the community who will not be happy with shenmue 4 or 5 no matter what ysnet do with it, and they will continue to only recognise Shenmue 1 and 2. It's a shame and i think everyone should get away from that mentality, as you're setting your self up for disappointment and misery.

I think something similar will happen once the anime comes out and it changes certain segments of the story. On that note, you should expect a fair amount of comedy moments in the anime aswell

This isn't an issue for the vast majority of the community, but it is and will be for some.

For many long term fans the nostalgia is strong. So they are why more lenient towards the flaws of 1 and 2 compared to the flaws with 3. That is just human nobody can blame them for that. But it is still blown out of proportion.

The comedy has always been there. Shenmue has always been like an 80s Anime like Dragon Ball, City Hunter or something like that.

The overall premise is dead serious but still many funny things happen to each episode. Some characters act strange and do funny things that did not fit into the serious tone at all but it is still working out quite well.

Last edited:
Have you actually watched that scene recently? It's every bit as comical as those moments in Shenmue 3 (even more so in Japanese, I feel). Tony and Smith are meant to be total buffoons. They may as well be Elmer Fudd.
Not to mention the introduction of Goro, who is initially portrayed as a bad guy but quickly turns into the hilarious, chummy coward we know and love. It's already been mentioned but Dou Niu: about as "Saturday morning cartoon villain" as you can get. YOOUU RATTTS! I think the series has always had its lighter, comedic moments. S3 turns that up a bit, but I wouldn't say it's "out of character" at all.

And Fuku San is also a sterotype. He is the loyal but not the most smartest friend in the party. Fuku san's fear about the fact that mirror might have been cursed after Ryo found it in the basement was also quite comical.

I am not criticising that scene just wanted to add it to the list of the mor comical elements of the old games.

And Fuku San is also a sterotype. He is the loyal but not the most smartest friend in the party. Fuku san's fear about the fact that mirror might have been cursed after Ryo found it in the basement was also quite comical.

I am not criticising that scene just wanted to add it to the list of the mor comical elements of the old games.
Fuku san maybe right, The phoenix mirror probably isn't possessed, but possession doesn't look too out of place, in a series.. when Master Chen (through Zhu) told Ryo that the mirrors can resurrect a monster, of course there's later a flying sword and Shenhua goes on about how she can talk with animals. I think something in the cliff temple, or the treasures may have affected Sumning, and it tragically ended with Iwao killing him.

Yeah, and it still doesnt come off as over the top as S3.

I cant comment on the Japanese version as I've only played it in English. In my opinion, yelling yikes a and clumsily running onto each other falls right out of a Hanna-Barbara cartoon complete with some conga pattern to match their footsteps. It was too much immediately after a fight.

Yeah, and it still doesnt come off as over the top as S3.

I cant comment on the Japanese version as I've only played it in English. In my opinion, yelling yikes a and clumsily running onto each other falls right out of a Hanna-Barbara cartoon complete with some conga pattern to match their footsteps. It was too much immediately after a fight.
I honestly don’t feel there’s much of a difference here. I don’t even feel the intent was particularly different, either, personally.

Fair enough, though. Agree to disagree, I suppose.

Yes agree to disgree is the best way to close this discusion. I also do not see a difference between the bad guys in 1 and 2. They were also not very intimidating. The sailors were a joke. Goro was a joke. Terry was also not very threatening. The only bad guy in Shenmue 1 and 2 that did not make my laugh was Lan Di. The rest of the bad Boys were Comic type bad Boys. Same goes for 2 as well. Dou Niu could be ripped straigh of an Episode off Scoobie Do. Yuan is also not the most scary individual in that game.

Chai in 1 is a mixed back. Duo to his Fighting skills he might present a challenge but characterwise also not the scariest foe in the game.

His Theme is awesome though.

But as I said lets agree to disagree.

I don't think it was necessarily more comical, just less dramatic (which is basically the same thing as being more comical). Shenmue has always dealt in broad, over the top archetypes bordering on caricature but it also dealt in somber, epic melodrama. There was plenty of the former but almost none of the latter until the final moments of S3.

A mod quitting all the comical moments with the fat master and the shrine maiden in the castle would be great.

Back