Music change for Shenmue 3 (in progress) (Alpha 0.8 released)

Man, this is an excellent mod @Old Snake . It really does bring Bailu alive even more.

I have three requests if possible.

1) Is it possible to put ideal seasons in replacement of the main bailu willy wonka theme

2) Is it possible to replace the main bailu willy wonka theme with the Shenmue 3 lucky hit theme

3) Is it possible to replace the main bailu willy wonka theme with the awesome wood cutting music.

i would love to see how the game feels when you're running around the open country area with these tracks playing

Keep up the awesome work.

Considering your username, I can't help but say

LIQUIIIIDDDD!!!!!

I'm glad a mod for this is getting off the ground. Shenmue 3's music selections are mostly good but there are some odd choices that I think could be improved on.

Specifically, the song that was used as the Kickstarter theme (Seeking Healing) is incredible, but tucked away in a tiny medicine clinic in Niaowu that many players will never even walk into. That track just screams Bailu at night to me and I feel should be more prominently featured in the game.

I might take a crack at this if I get some free time.

Man, this is an excellent mod @Old Snake . It really does bring Bailu alive even more.

I have three requests if possible.

1) Is it possible to put ideal seasons in replacement of the main bailu willy wonka theme

2) Is it possible to replace the main bailu willy wonka theme with the Shenmue 3 lucky hit theme

3) Is it possible to replace the main bailu willy wonka theme with the awesome wood cutting music.

i would love to see how the game feels when you're running around the open country area with these tracks playing

Keep up the awesome work.

Considering your username, I can't help but say

LIQUIIIIDDDD!!!!!
Thanks man, and sure, that's doable. Actually I already thought about using the Lucky Hit theme to the main Bailu area. Idle seasons I won't put it because it's closed for the square, and wood cutting well, I'll have it as an extra. I'll try the Lucky Hit tomorrow and show you how it feels.

@breakYODAy I can take a look at that. My plan right now is to, mainly, change the most terrible choices in my opinion that are the Shenmue 2 constant themes (Wan Chai or Aberdeen) that constantly remind me of Hong Kong instead of Bailu/Niaowu. And then keep changing themes. For example, Bailu at night is its own S3 theme, but maybe that theme can fit somewhere else. I'll keep gathering ideas from you guys and also when I keep advancing and remembering what can be improved.

By the way, I'm really close to finding Chai, so I'll be able to try his theme and see if it works alright. If it does, my next update will include it.

EDIT: First encounter with Chai and the results are perfect, the cutscenes receive the music from the same source, so essentially any cutscene can have a different theme attached. When I reach the second encounter with him and see that everything is perfect, I'll release it.

I have my doubts because the track is only 38 seconds long while the second cutscene where you fight him is longer. I think it uses the same system as ingame (a loop maintaining the current track even overlaping), hence I prepared two versions, a complete Chai theme and a cut one, where I reduced the times to make it last around 41 seconds.

Last edited:
Two new updates.

When I took off the Lucky Hit theme I knew it had to be used somewhere because it's beautiful. And @ShenSun requested one of my ideas, so here it is the first test to changing the main Bailu Theme for the Lucky Hit theme. It's not finished because it doesn't loop (for less than a second, but I'll manage to make that happen) but I edited it to fit into the duration of the original (from 5 minutes to lees than three and cuting parts of the song) but I'm very proud of how it ended up being. I can't even notice the cuts.

And the second update is to show how it sounds the Chai theme. Again, it's highly edited to fit into the 39 seconds that the original lasts but I think it's fine. Let me know what you think. Once I reach the second encounter and see if it works right there (and edit the looping of the main theme) I'll post the last alpha, because then it'll be time to touch Niaowu and I'll get to the beta status once the mod is done at its core. The complete release will be when I finish modifying everything.

Thank you for reading and please, if anyone uses the mod already, let me know your feedback.

Two new updates.

When I took off the Lucky Hit theme I knew it had to be used somewhere because it's beautiful. And @ShenSun requested one of my ideas, so here it is the first test to changing the main Bailu Theme for the Lucky Hit theme. It's not finished because it doesn't loop (for less than a second, but I'll manage to make that happen) but I edited it to fit into the duration of the original (from 5 minutes to lees than three and cuting parts of the song) but I'm very proud of how it ended up being. I can't even notice the cuts.

And the second update is to show how it sounds the Chai theme. Again, it's highly edited to fit into the 39 seconds that the original lasts but I think it's fine. Let me know what you think. Once I reach the second encounter and see if it works right there (and edit the looping of the main theme) I'll post the last alpha, because then it'll be time to touch Niaowu and I'll get to the beta status once the mod is done at its core. The complete release will be when I finish modifying everything.

Thank you for reading and please, if anyone uses the mod already, let me know your feedback.
Looking really really good. Can't wait for more of this when it is ready.

I always though they would use the Chai music in Shenmue 3.
Don't know why they didn't !? It is such an iconic track from Shenmue 1.
I remember hearing it for the first playthrough and it gave me the creeps.

But great work with the mod and thank you for keeping us updated.

It's amazing how such simple changes can change the feeling of the game so much. All the changes feel perfect so far!!

Keep going!

(It's baffling how such a long and detailed track could be wasted on the Lucky Hit minigame.)

Thank you all for the nice words, I'm still going through Baillu and very soon (when I fight Chai probably, two days, three at max) and can confirm his theme works perfectly, I'll release the version with his theme and the "lucky hit" one as main theme for Baillu. I wasn't thinking of changing that theme at first, but once I did I just can't go back to the old theme again. The "lucky hit" theme is so beautiful and fits so perfectly... and it doesn't get repetitive as the other one does.

I'd like to find that theme a place into Bailly but I can't fit it anywhere. So for now, the next alpha will be likes this (all the OP changes + Chai and main theme changed) and the last one will be with Niaowu port changed as long as I get there. I haven't decided a theme for Niaowu port yet, any ideas are welcome as you guys helped me a lot with your ideas.

Well, finally arrived to Chai and tested that it works fine, so I release the Alpha 0.8 in the OP.

Changelog:

- Added Chai original theme
- Changed "main theme" of Baillu (the one that you hear in the Dojo, Verdant Bridge...) to the S3's Lucky Hit theme

The video for Chai:

Now I'm in Niaowu but I still don't know what theme should I use for the port. I've been searching through the unused music from S2 but none of them I can fit there, and the ones that fit the most from S2 are Aberdeen themes that we listen so often in S2. Right now I'm inclined towards using the Queen's Street night, it's a track that we don't hear too often in S2 and fits quite well, although more at night. The problem of Niaowu port is that it doesn't change the track at night, so I need to find a balance in its sound.

Any ideas guys?

BTW, I'd like to ask permission to @ReiKaz to use his Niaowu file with the original forklift music as the base for my other changes, the one you can find in this thread:

Is that okay with you? Thanks!

Well, finally arrived to Chai and tested that it works fine, so I release the Alpha 0.8 in the OP.

Changelog:

- Changed "main theme" of Baillu (the one that you hear in the Dojo, Verdant Bridge...) to the S3's Lucky Hit theme

The video for Chai:

Now I'm in Niaowu but I still don't know what theme should I use for the port. I've been searching through the unused music from S2 but none of them I can fit there, and the ones that fit the most from S2 are Aberdeen themes that we listen so often in S2. Right now I'm inclined towards using the Queen's Street night, it's a track that we don't hear too often in S2 and fits quite well, although more at night. The problem of Niaowu port is that it doesn't change the track at night, so I need to find a balance in its sound.

Any ideas guys?

BTW, I'd like to ask permission to @ReiKaz to use his Niaowu file with the original forklift music as the base for my other changes, the one you can find in this thread:

this is so good but im gonna be "that guy" who asks if theres any chance of just a chai replacement version. I like the rest of the audio as it is. Sorry but Please :)

this is so good but im gonna be "that guy" who asks if theres any chance of just a chai replacement version. I like the rest of the audio as it is. Sorry but Please :)
Yes, now I'm focused on Niaowu, but tomorrow I'll put an extra version with only the Chai theme changed.

Changelog:

The video for Chai:

Any ideas guys?

Nice; good work; but you should lower the sfx's volume to enhance the music a bit more.

@Shenmue_IV I updated the OP and added the Chai only version, hope you enjoy it and sorry for the little delay.

As far as the mod itself, I've now tested the Queen's Street Night to Niaowu Port and I'm happier than I thought I'd be. I think it's a nice theme, it fits quite well in my opinion and it's not a track you usually listen in Shenmue 2 unlike the original Niaowu Port music. Let me know what you think about it.

The credits music is something that I've been trying to achieve but I can't find a way. AFAIK every bit of music is grabbed from the BGM files, wether in-game, cutscene, menu or even the backers credits. But for some reason it looks like the developers credits don't follow that logic. There is a Chawan track in the "Bailu" BGM but even if I change it, the credits still use the Chawan music. @LemonHaze or someone who knows more than me, any idea where is the track that the credits use?

Lastly, I have to find the place where Fangmei's theme is (can anyone let me know? I think it's a pharmacy) to replace it, that will be easy because there are a lot of unused tracks that fit well inside shops. Once I do that and solve the credits thing (wether I can change it or not) I'll release the Beta, which will be the mod essentialy done, and then when I finish the game and see if I want to change something else or improve what has been done, it will be the final release.

@Shenmue_IV I updated the OP and added the Chai only version, hope you enjoy it and sorry for the little delay.

As far as the mod itself, I've now tested the Queen's Street Night to Niaowu Port and I'm happier than I thought I'd be. I think it's a nice theme, it fits quite well in my opinion and it's not a track you usually listen in Shenmue 2 unlike the original Niaowu Port music. Let me know what you think about it.

The credits music is something that I've been trying to achieve but I can't find a way. AFAIK every bit of music is grabbed from the BGM files, wether in-game, cutscene, menu or even the backers credits. But for some reason it looks like the developers credits don't follow that logic. There is a Chawan track in the "Bailu" BGM but even if I change it, the credits still use the Chawan music. @LemonHaze or someone who knows more than me, any idea where is the track that the credits use?

Lastly, I have to find the place where Fangmei's theme is (can anyone let me know? I think it's a pharmacy) to replace it, that will be easy because there are a lot of unused tracks that fit well inside shops. Once I do that and solve the credits thing (wether I can change it or not) I'll release the Beta, which will be the mod essentialy done, and then when I finish the game and see if I want to change something else or improve what has been done, it will be the final release.

Thanks for the Chai only mod.

I found this track a long time ago when Shenmue 3 was first announced and couldnt wait to hear it in game, unfortunately it was not in the game and the youtube video with this song has since been deleted. Thankfully i downloaded it before it was taken down.

Maybe you can find a place for it in Bailu village?

Attachments

• Ryuji Iuchi - Village And Waterside In The Forest Erhu Feat Hiroko Suzuki [zippyaudio.co].zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 21
I found this track a long time ago when Shenmue 3 was first announced and couldnt wait to hear it in game, unfortunately it was not in the game and the youtube video with this song has since been deleted. Thankfully i downloaded it before it was taken down.

This a really nice track; I think it is more suitable to play during the night time maybe in the are where Grandmaster Feng lives where there is that other Shenmue Tree.

This is a really nice track. Thanks

What a beautiful track. It’s clear they have some amazing pieces still in the vault which makes certain reused music choices even more surprising.

Back