Cel Shading can be a good choice for Shenmue IV?

After watching the art concept of Shenmue III, I think cel shading is more suitable for Shenmue.
Shenmue character art concept and its design is similar to the anime design style. I think that Shenmue III character sometimes looks weird because the model looks like anime character but the rendering is based on PBR.
微信图片_20210513231330.jpg

Attachments

• 微信图片_20210513231241.jpg
    微信图片_20210513231241.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 13
  • iOPnHNMgvvU4fDEVvihw.jpg
    iOPnHNMgvvU4fDEVvihw.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 11
I'd be down. Probably in minority though. Love a good cel shade.

House of the Dead 3 should've stayed cell shaded, for example

I would not mind a cell shading look but I am also fan of the look 3 had. Shenmue 3 looked like classic game with modern paint. A great thing in my humble opion. The look of playstation/Saturn and Dreamcast/ps2 era will Always be to best to me. Around that time the character design was supreme. unlikely today were everything has to be realistic with real actors and such stuff. (n)(n)

That design Philosophy just look wrong. Because the tech is not ready yet to use real people in games. At least it was not ready during the last gen. Current Gen might be different matter.

But we cannot say that for sure until a few years in the feature. Most characters with a realistic design just looked weird during the last era. Unscanny Valley at it best. We will see what current gen will have to offer. I hope we will see some more cell shadding games.

I would not mind a cell shading look but I am also fan of the look 3 had. Shenmue 3 looked like classic game with modern paint. A great thing in my humble opion. The look of playstation/Saturn and Dreamcast/ps2 era will Always be to best to me. Around that time the character design was supreme. unlikely today were everything has to be realistic with real actors and such stuff. (n)(n)

That design Philosophy just look wrong. Because the tech is not ready yet to use real people in games. At least it was not ready during the last gen. Current Gen might be different matter.

But we cannot say that for sure until a few years in the feature. Most characters with a realistic design just looked weird during the last era. Unscanny Valley at it best. We will see what current gen will have to offer. I hope we will see some more cell shadding games.
Kind've ironic you say that since Shenmue I & II had probably the most realistic character models of the time. The equivalent of Shenmue's 1 & 2 level of character design and realism back then, today would probably be something like this.

And that looks horrible to. me. This pseudo realism. Realism back then was different. They did not try to copy real people like today, they just wanted to make people look more realistic without the use of real people. That tech made unique character designs possible, unlike today were everything looks to me.

I really didn't like any of the promo shots of Shenmue III, so I'd be up for a switch to cel shading. Feels like the art style made enough of a change last time for it not to matter anymore.

And that looks horrible to. me. This pseudo realism. Realism back then was different. They did not try to copy real people like today, they just wanted to make people look more realistic without the use of real people. That tech made unique character designs possible, unlike today were everything looks to me.
You do realise the video i posted is a character creator? It literally allows you to create realistic unique characters.

I am aware of that. But most modern day gaming characters look generic. Unique character design is not common place anymore. I know if is possible but most devs do not resort to that. They just tend to scan actors these days.

I want them to finish the series off if they can make IV, and new art styles and premises could be considered for a reboot series.

I think for me despite how the budget and circumstances have wildly varied between the original games and Shenmue 3 and likely onwards, is trying to retain some type of visual consistency.

I thought for large part Shenmue 3 looked relatively faithful to the originals and if there were to be a Shenmue 4 I would want them to refine that pipeline rather than go for whole sale visual change. While UE4 does support and we’ve seen celshaded games on the engine, I personally don’t think it captures the simulation the original game in particular leaned into.

At this point I'll take whatever I can get. But if I had a preference it would be original Dreamcast graphics upscaled for HD quality
i feel the same way. they should of just embraced the fact shenmue is a "retro" game series and kept the dreamcast graphics, which imo still look quite cool. + i would of thought they could complete the games much quicker if they were not bog down in trying to make the game look like a AAA title.

i feel the same way. they should of just embraced the fact shenmue is a "retro" game series and kept the dreamcast graphics, which imo still look quite cool. + i would of thought they could complete the games much quicker if they were not bog down in trying to make the game look like a AAA title.
I am sure @LemonHaze or someone with better technical knowledge can explain this but using the old engine isn’t as easy as it appears. I know you didn’t necessarily mean engine but that’s the only way you got faithfully recapture the Dreamcast graphics look in my opinion.

There was so many custom things designed for the game, some of which was created on middleware. Some of those companies I recall reading had gone defunct or something so getting the licenses for that would be an additional headache and expenditure.

I am sure @LemonHaze or someone with better technical knowledge can explain this but using the old engine isn’t as easy as it appears. I know you didn’t necessarily mean engine but that’s the only way you got faithfully recapture the Dreamcast graphics look in my opinion.

There was so many custom things designed for the game, some of which was created on middleware. Some of those companies I recall reading had gone defunct or something so getting the licenses for that would be an additional headache and expenditure.
In addition, Cedric has said they considered the Dreamcast engine route (likely very similar to what Dragon Collection attempting as we speak) but was still actually easier and less costly to simply hire existing UE4 programmers and start from scratch rather teaching both and porting over ala LemonHaze team.

As much as I agree (and pipe dream wish for a Shenmue 3 reverse port "Dragon mode" after Phoenix Collection finishes), I also love how they were able to capture Shenmue's feel in Unreal 4 and enjoy both engines. More Shenmueness the merrier!

/\ yeah i did hear a while back that working on a old game engine is harder and more costly but could they not create a game in UE4 to look like a basic dreamcast style game? i thought shenmue 3 looked quite nice but i kinda felt they put too much effort into the graphics of that game.

no going back now but i always thought if they kept in the same graphical style as the first 2 games, it would have an element of continuity and it would speed up the development of future games?

The one thing that they nailed with Shenmue III was graphics.

I expect and I wish a Shenmue IV continues the Shenmue III look.

Back