General RGG Discussion

Latest screenshots from Sega Japan. I assume they were captured from the PS4 version since the color is very similar to the original Judgment.
E1VtytpVkAUpMa8.jpg
E1VstH-UUAQI_o5.jpg
E1VreMbUYAInPsI.jpg
E1VrgUYVEAM892G.jpg
E1VrjyaUYAAH_Wo.jpg

Also I have a feeling that in Lost Judgment Akaushimaru will be replaced by Yoshinoya
E1VtxdSVcAUTIVb.jpg

Last edited:
Will there ever be a game in the Yakuza universe with a real full drinking / eating animation
for every single product?
I'm a big fan of small details like that and i love all the detailed pictures for the food and drinks in the game
but it always makes me think 'it would be so cool if the character would actually eat / drink this now'.
It always makes me a little bit sad that its just the back of the character
and hes pretending like hes eating / drinking.
It would be so cool if Yagami or whoever would actually eat fries or sushi etc.
It doesnt even need to be a full eating animation where he eats piece by piece,
just make it disappear in 4 bites or so. I would celebrate that.

See, these are the kinds of things I appreciate too. What I’d like to see with the future of these games is more focus on quality over the quantity. Instead of trying to live up to the now-mainstream notoriety and reputation for being a “wacky Japan game” by shoehorning in more half-baked / boring / irrelevant gameplay ideas, I really want to see even further refinement in what they already have. I LOVE the idea of the chase sequences that the games have had since Y3, but they’re really not very good and have barely changed in over 10 years. I’ve mentioned before that the Dragon Engine combat system still has a ton of potential. But I think the presentation of these games needs the most attention. Like 75% of Y7’s story was told in these excruciatingly boring and long-winded barely animated bullshit-ass “cut-scenes”. I know these have been a staple of the series since the beginning, but I feel like these bits needed a hell of a lot more work, and not just another version of the RTS game or the go-kart mini-game. I feel like those resources could’ve been put towards really solidifying a beautiful overall package with minor blemishes, instead of a game that has great core mechanics but stretches itself thin with other bullshit.

Yeah, an eating animation may not be a game-changer, but I’d gladly take that over another dumb personality quiz mini-game or 50 more side-quests that just end in a fight anyway.

I actually would have been fine if they would have decided to make Judgment a whole detective game with no fighting at all.
Or only 'story fights'. Like instead of the Yakuza gameplay, take the detective gameplay parts,
make more of them and make them high quality. Like a high quality detective thriller in Kamurocho.
Where you have to combine things yourself, ask people the right questions manually
and if you dont you have to find other ways, call Kaito or Mafuyu to ask if they know something
about person or place XYZ, find Hamura by finding clues yourself,
missed a clue on a photo in that location? Well thats your problem, maybe you find something else that helps etc
But full on detective mode where you can use different ways to get to the goal.
No Yakuza gameplay, only the same location.

Choose yourself what you want Yagami to say in specific situations.
No random fights for no reason, only story fights with specific people.
I dont need these random free roam fights in every game.
I think it could be pretty cool if there are no random fights at all and Yagami only fights (using fists)
if he has no other choice and then the fights need a really hard and brutal feeling
to give it a unique dangerous touch. You can still have side missions and funny events etc,
just not about fighting. I would be totally okay with it.

Last edited:
I totally would’ve dug that too. Like L.A. Noire except the actual gamey-type gameplay would be fights that have context. What turned me off about L.A. Noire was those actual gameplay bits (the foot/car chases, brawling, shootouts) since they all felt like an afterthought. Hell, it didn’t even need to be an open-world game since it was so dead and empty anyway.

I actually would have been fine if they would have decided to make Judgment a whole detective game with no fighting at all.
Or only 'story fights'. Like instead of the Yakuza gameplay, take the detective gameplay parts,
make more of them and make them high quality. Like a high quality detective thriller in Kamurocho.
Where you have to combine things yourself, ask people the right questions manually
and if you dont you have to find other ways, call Kaito or Mafuyu to ask if they know something
about person or place XYZ, find Hamura by finding clues yourself,
missed a clue on a photo in that location? Well thats your problem, maybe you find something else that helps etc
But full on detective mode where you can use different ways to get to the goal.
No Yakuza gameplay, only the same location.

Choose yourself what you want Yagami to say in specific situations.
No random fights for no reason, only story fights with specific people.
I dont need these random free roam fights in every game.
I think it could be pretty cool if there are no random fights at all and Yagami only fights (using fists)
if he has no other choice and then the fights need a really hard and brutal feeling
to give it a unique dangerous touch. You can still have side missions and funny events etc,
just not about fighting. I would be totally okay with it.
I see. Do you know a place where yakuza hang out?

I see. Do you know a place where yakuza hang out?
A mix of Shenmue and LA Noire taking place in the Yakuza universe, why not.
I mean its not necessary to speak to every single random NPC in Kamurocho or Yokohama.
A detective doesnt ask hundred random people in the streets the same question.

You can keep the same Judgment gameplay style,
just focus on the detective part instead of mixing it 50-50 with Yakuza gameplay.
Keep the question dialogue system and extend it so
you have a dialogue system like in Mass Effect or Fallout for example.

Let Yagami examine objects in 3D so you can find the clues manually.
Let the player search for people, adresses etc with the chatter smartphone app manually.
Let the player find clues like 'it seems like this guy is only here at night',
so you manually have to find this information and skip the time.
Give Yagami the option to ask about evidence he found.

Just overall less scripted gameplay events in terms of hand-holding.
Give the player something to think about and replace all the random fights with that.
The story doesnt need any changes.

One thing that Judgment does better than the Yakuza games with Kiryu or Ichiban
is the character design in my opinion.
Not that Kiryu or Ichiban looks bad in terms of design or clothing,
i'm just talking about the overall skin texture quality and how real it looks.

Whenever i played a game with Kiryu or Ichiban, there was always kind of a discrepancy
between the look of the main character and the look of the scanned real life actors.
Kiryu looks better and better with every game
but if theres a cutscene with Ichiban or Kiryu + scanned real life actors,
the real actor models always look a tiny bit better than the main character.
Something about them makes them not look as real. Maybe they look too perfect (clean)
or the skin details are lacking, i dont know. Something about them feels more 'gamey'.
The quality of the real actor models was always a tiny bit higher.

But i feel like Yagami is the first main character that doesnt have this problem.
He never looks out of place in any scene. He always looks as real
as all the other high quality models. There is no discrepancy at all.

One thing that Judgment does better than the Yakuza games with Kiryu or Ichiban
is the character design in my opinion.
Not that Kiryu or Ichiban looks bad in terms of design or clothing,
i'm just talking about the overall skin texture quality and how real it looks.

Whenever i played a game with Kiryu or Ichiban, there was always kind of a discrepancy
between the look of the main character and the look of the scanned real life actors.
Kiryu looks better and better with every game
but if theres a cutscene with Ichiban or Kiryu + scanned real life actors,
the real actor models always look a tiny bit better than the main character.
Something about them makes them not look as real. Maybe they look too perfect (clean)
or the skin details are lacking, i dont know. Something about them feels more 'gamey'.
The quality of the real actor models was always a tiny bit higher.

But i feel like Yagami is the first main character that doesnt have this problem.
He never looks out of place in any scene. He always looks as real
as all the other high quality models. There is no discrepancy at all.
Because Yagami is one of the scanned real-life actors...

Because Yagami is one of the scanned real-life actors...
Yeah but its still just a tiny little difference between looks like a real person or it doesnt.

I think the 'problem' with Kiryu and Ichiban is, that half of their face
is simply mirrored on the other side and thats not really how real human faces look.
Kiryu has two identical eyes, two identical eyebrows etc
and on top of that, they have that perfectly smooth skin with zero flaws.

But Yagami clearly has not a mirrored eye and he looks always a bit different
based on the lighting etc, exactly how it is with photos in real life.
I personally like this aproach a bit more because cutscenes
with Yagami and Hirose (Kitano) for example would always look more natural
than with Kiryu or Ichiban.

And i think sometimes the Yakuza universe series has a bit of a design problem
in games like Yakuza 6 or 7, when they have a set of high quality real life models,
high quality models that are not based on real people
and then random NPCs with a decent quality model.
It sometimes creates kind of weird scenes with one or two really really good looking
models based on real people, then there is the main character who looks really really good but not as real
and then there is a bartender or three random hostess girls who all look like
improved videogame models from the PS3 engine times.

The difference between these three categories will get bigger and bigger
if they keep improving the models based on real people
because the quality of the other two categories will never catch up.

Also it seems like
Sega is aiming for 2-3 million copies sold (instead of 1 mil) for the Yakuza franchise now
because of multi platform release and localization.

I dont know, seems pretty ambitious ...
and what happens if it doesnt reach that goal? Will it have consequences?
🙄

Also it seems like
Sega is aiming for 2-3 million copies sold (instead of 1 mil) for the Yakuza franchise now

🙄
Yeah I think the consequence is if the sales goal is not reached we will have to wait 18 years for another Yakuza.

Last edited:
Also it seems like

🙄
There will most likely be consequences if it fails to reach that goal by a large margin but I think it is reasonable to expect more sales with a multiplatform release and even though it's ambitious it could be feasible if Sega channel their marketing efforts.

Also I think it is a clever strategy to put more emphasis on localisation and worldwide simultaneous releases.

Also Sega openly acknowledging their recent Sonic games sucked and pledging to focus on quality sounds great.

Also it seems like

🙄
2-3m sounds easy for a flagship popular title during classic Sega. Still abit bewilder that this is consider a risky high-bar now for modern sega...:oops:

I'm about to play Yakuza 6 for the 1st time! Did they ever patch dummy-like characters during diaolgue sequences? I remember upon release it was very noticable how static the characters looked when speaking.

2-3m sounds easy for a flagship popular title during classic Sega. Still abit bewilder that this is consider a risky high-bar now for modern sega...:oops:
I wouldnt say its easy. One of the most hyped up releases for a modern english release
was Yakuza 6 on PS4 and i think Sega announced that it sold like one million copies
(Asia + West) and titled as huge success. This was the new dragon engine,
Sega did a western release event stream with guests and everything.
So most of the other games were probably somewhere around 500.000 - 700.000

Sure, it can and does reach more people now because of multi platform releases
and more languages. But still, this doesnt magically increase the interested audience by 1.5 - 3 times.
Who knows who is interested in spin offs like Lost Judgment or how many people are leaving the series
because of the turn based combat.

3 million copies is a lot for this type of IP. A game like Resident Evil 7 sold 3.5 millions in 4 months
(worldwide release on PC, Xbox, PS)
Kingdom Come Deliverance sold 2 mil copies 2 years after its release (PC, PS4, Xbox One)
And these games not only have all of the subtitle languages but also all of the dub languages.

Last edited:
I'm about to play Yakuza 6 for the 1st time! Did they ever patch dummy-like characters during diaolgue sequences? I remember upon release it was very noticable how static the characters looked when speaking.
No, thats just how they made that game.
I dont think they even considered patching that.

I think back then, in the english Yakuza 6 Sega streams, the english localization team
even commented on that and they said
it only looks weird because these parts never had voice acting
in the older games, only the most important story parts had voice acting.
So players were used to the reading parts = not the same quality as main story scenes.
And for Y6 they basically just told the cast to read
all dialogues to create a update feeling but the animation style they used was still the same.
And this makes it kind of weird because now with the voice acting
it sounds super professional and important but the animation quality doesnt match.
Its probably one of the problems that appeared because they kind of rushed that game.
So its just how it is.

What’s interesting is what the studio did with in-game cutscenes in Y6 and Judgement. The side missions are still barely animated, and in Judgement’s case, not even voice-acted, just like the older games. But the in-game cutscenes are done VERY well. They still can’t touch the actual fully animated scenes, but they’re animated and directed in a way that shows care. That’s why it’s much easier for me to digest the amount of exposition that goes on in these scenes, as opposed to how they’re done in Y7 (which will forever irritate me).

Back