Let's Discuss Sega's Flagship Shining Series?

高野和泉

"SAKURA FESTIVAL!"
For starters,

Between Classic's TRPG:

1621537649899.png

Dark Age's Arcade y-esque ARPG's:

Force exa.png

And finally, Modern's Quirky RPG's(Where you bake bread...:unsure:):

1621538244810.png

Where does your chip falls? Other entries you've played? Will you even give it a shot? Where/what direction do you think Sega needs/should take the franchise to reclaim it's former glory as a flagship title? Any other branch off discussion point/opinions about the series is fine too.

I've only played Shining Force 1, 2, and CD, but I thought all of them were great. The others in the series that I'm interested in playing are Shining Force 3, and the dungeon crawlers Shining in the Darkness and Shining the Holy Ark.

I honestly have no interest in the waifu type things I heard about Shining Resonance, nor do I think that ARPG would be the way to take the series as well. It seems Shining Force is the highest regarded sub-series, so sticking with a strategy RPG would probably be the best bet, IMO. I honestly didn't even know the series was "Shining" and not "Shining Force" until a few years ago.

I'd say this would be my combination wishlist and ideas to make it successful:
  • The game should be "Shining Force IV", and should continue on to be an accessible strategy RPG like its predecessors.
  • It should be released for PC, Switch, PS4/PS5, Xbox One/Series X.
  • Graphically, everything should be 2D and hand drawn. Backgrounds during combat cutaways can be paintings like in Studio Ghibli films.
  • There could be a bit more variety in weapons and spells. Perhaps add another equipment slot of some sort, such as armor. Perhaps more choices for promoted classes can help with replay value. However, it shouldn't be too overwhelming since it should still be accessible.
  • Experiment with multiplayer to see if it's viable. Either something symmetrical where it's 2 players putting their teams against each other, or asymmetrical where, for example, 1 player controls enemy units in a castle, while the other player is trying to break into a castle with their team. Or both!
    • I'm not familiar with many SRPG's, but I'm guessing multiplayer would be somewhat unique. And if multiplayer does well, it can give the game legs for a long time, and maybe even build up it's popularity over the years.​

A full English version of all the Shining Force 3 games on PS4, PC, Switch and Xbox would be amazing. Similar to the S1 & 2 remasters on modern systems. After that, take it to Shining Force 4.

I've only played Shining Force 1, 2, and CD, but I thought all of them were great. The others in the series that I'm interested in playing are Shining Force 3, and the dungeon crawlers Shining in the Darkness and Shining the Holy Ark.

I honestly have no interest in the waifu type things I heard about Shining Resonance, nor do I think that ARPG would be the way to take the series as well. It seems Shining Force is the highest regarded sub-series, so sticking with a strategy RPG would probably be the best bet, IMO. I honestly didn't even know the series was "Shining" and not "Shining Force" until a few years ago.

I'd say this would be my combination wishlist and ideas to make it successful:
  • The game should be "Shining Force IV", and should continue on to be an accessible strategy RPG like its predecessors.
  • It should be released for PC, Switch, PS4/PS5, Xbox One/Series X.
  • Graphically, everything should be 2D and hand drawn. Backgrounds during combat cutaways can be paintings like in Studio Ghibli films.
  • There could be a bit more variety in weapons and spells. Perhaps add another equipment slot of some sort, such as armor. Perhaps more choices for promoted classes can help with replay value. However, it shouldn't be too overwhelming since it should still be accessible.
  • Experiment with multiplayer to see if it's viable. Either something symmetrical where it's 2 players putting their teams against each other, or asymmetrical where, for example, 1 player controls enemy units in a castle, while the other player is trying to break into a castle with their team. Or both!
    • I'm not familiar with many SRPG's, but I'm guessing multiplayer would be somewhat unique. And if multiplayer does well, it can give the game legs for a long time, and maybe even build up it's popularity over the years.​
You know what, I agree with this. ANd I think Sega could adapt/polish some of the 2D+3D mechanics from the experimental game "time and Eternity" for an IP with real weight like the Shining Series.

Played Shining Force 1 & 2 (both excellent), Shining in the Darkness (a little monotonous but still good) and Shining the Holy Ark (excellent). Would be very interested to play more from the series as long as it‘s not Waifu games.

I've played all of the classic Shining games made by Camelot, and I will never touch the newer titles made by various developers. They're just catering to the weebs who want their waifu fix for quick cash.

Played Shining Force 1 & 2 (both excellent), Shining in the Darkness (a little monotonous but still good) and Shining the Holy Ark (excellent). Would be very interested to play more from the series as long as it‘s not Waifu games.
Shining Force Neo is the closest(story,art direction) to classic Shining before the major shift to the "Waifu" age.

Shining force neo.png

Give it a shot and let me know if you dig it? :unsure:

A new Shining Force game was announced for mobile. Would you believe that the IP was licensed out to a third party? :openmouth: I worry a bit that it's free to play with "premium" in-app purchases, so hopefully they're not too predatory. Also hoping this gets ported to PC at some point without the microtransactions.

Hive, the Japanese subsidiary of Korean company Vespa, has licensed the rights to develop and distribute a game that utilizes the Shining Force intellectual propety from Sega, and announced strategy RPG Shining Force: Hikari to Yami no Eiyuu (title tentative) (Shining Force: Heroes of Light and Darkness) for mobile.

The game will launch in the first half of 2022 worldwide as a free-to-play title with item-based in-app purchases. Specific territories were not announced, but the licensing includes the right to distribute in Japan, South Korea, and other Asian countries, as well as North America and Europe. A beta test is also planned.

Shining Force: Hikari to Yami no Eiyuu is in development with the goal of bringing the strategy and fun of tactical RPGs to mobile devices, based on the unique setting and story of the Shining Force series and the fun of developing unique and charming characters.

The animation does actually look pretty great. If I'm nitpicking I'd say I'm not a fan of how their portraits "bobble".

Back