General Virtua Fighter Talk

It appears that the PS Plus appereance of VF 5 has been confirmed.

I am ps plus user but I am still gonna buy VF5 in order to support the game.
That’s great news, honestly I know this may sounds sacrilegious but outside Soul Calibur I’ve barely touched any fighting games in last few generations.

On that note I’m still a little salty they couldn’t organize putting Shenmue 1/2 collection on PS+ a month or two before Shenmue 3’a release.

"The game will not only be available on PlayStation Plus for about two months – June and July – but it’ll also be releasing on PlayStation Now in June! PlayStation Plus members can enter Virtua Fighter 5’s arenas starting Tuesday, June 1."

Straight from PS Blog. Free on PS Now service after the PS Plus subscription. This isn't good news for the faith(or lack there of)Sega has in the franchise, but it'll be nice for our wallets.

"The game will not only be available on PlayStation Plus for about two months – June and July – but it’ll also be releasing on PlayStation Now in June! PlayStation Plus members can enter Virtua Fighter 5’s arenas starting Tuesday, June 1."

Straight from PS Blog. Free on PS Now service after the PS Plus subscription. This isn't good news for the faith(or lack there of)Sega has in the franchise, but it'll be nice for our wallets.
Disagree completely. VF has been in limbo for about 9 years, if they want to make a come back 2 months in Plus and later on Now makes total sense, a lot of games are release on Xbox Game Pass on launch, or Epic Store for free etc and companies still make money out of them. Also, exposing the game 2 months for free to millions of potential users is a good move, it is reviving the franchise with a remake while they can set the road for a proper next installment.

Disagree completely. VF has been in limbo for about 9 years, if they want to make a come back 2 months in Plus and later on Now makes total sense, a lot of games are release on Xbox Game Pass on launch, or Epic Store for free etc and companies still make money out of them. Also, exposing the game 2 months for free to millions of potential users is a good move, it is reviving the franchise with a remake while they can set the road for a proper next installment.
@Kyo_JP You have a very valid point I did not consider. This actually may end up being the right move, especially if it makes its way to Game Pass after the exclusive period. Give away something that is already really good, but just a refresh of something from 15 years ago and then release something new and fresh for the full price and charge for DLC galore. This strategy looks better than I originally was able to perceive.

The graphics and game play look really nice in Japanese live stream. The character models are solid and the stages look beautiful, there's a bit of Shenmue 3 graphical influence with the characters and backdrops.

I just hope these japanese streams will get updated eventually.
I dont know why but japanese live stream always have some problems
like they are streaming in 720p or with scanlines at 24 / 30 fps, bad bitrate,
or the footage has some serious frame drops while streaming with 60 fps
even tho the game itself actually has no frame drops.
And this even happens at big events like Tokyo Game Show and stuff like that.
Its kind of irritating.

Even the trailer they provided for IGN has a really bad bitrate.

Man, i'm astonished at the work rate of RGG, in between Yakuza and Judgment sequels they somehow found the time to remake an entire fighting game, impressive !

My PS3 was pretty much a Final Showdown box so it can be pretty much retired now.

Just hope theres some Shenmue nods in the avatars and customisation options.

Either way above and beyond what i expected and this is a good thing for Shenmue fans too. People will more likely try the series knowing that it was originally an offshoot of VF.

It was a little sad that Yu-san didn't show up in the stream....I thought he may have considering he was in the Astro City Mini stream but alas, maybe he was too busy tonight too attend or had other commitments? Hopefully his name shows up in the Arcade credits as an Executive Producer or something. I don't think he would have had much to do with this, but I would like to think he at least consulted or something. But then again, correct me if I'm wrong but VF5 wasn't actually Directed by Yu was it?

I seem to remember that he was credited for VF4 as a co-director but I don't think he actually directed VF5 from memory.

Still, would have been nice to see Yu-san show up to celebrate his baby, but what can you do?

Some interesting stuff.

-- Bit bummed there is no single player campaign. Looks like they're really going in hard on the Online/E-Sports stuff, but would have been nice to have the single player campaign of VF4 and VF5 return.

-- Character customization is back in! Although, I think it's gonna be all DLC. I think that's the catch. It will be free on Plus but I bet you any money the customization stuff will cost you.

-- Retro VF mode from VF4 Evolution returns!....as DLC...notice a pattern here? ;) Still, cool to see that make a return. I wish they had shown that in action on stream outside of the mere seconds they showed in the ad.

-- Games looks rather nice in action. Couple of frame drops thanks to the stream, but it actually does look really nice with the Dragon Engine powering it visually. It's amazing how well those animations hold up. SEGA really needs to make the Dragon Engine to SEGA what the RE Engine is to Capcom.

-- They made an actual arcade cabinet presumably for Japanese arcades...makes complete sense to do. Tekken 7 online was a popular cabinet everytime I went to Japan in the past 8 years...so if they want to relaunch in Arcades, going with an online enabled arcade cabinet makes sense. I don't think original VF5 cabinets were online outside of stat keeping.

-- Merchandise goodies! That Akira shirt is all sorts of awesome! I think I will put money down for that CD Soundtrack though. And maybe the mug as well.

I mean yeah, I wish they had shown the game off some more but that stream was entirely aimed at the Japanese audience and its not like we have long to wait until we get our hands on it for ourselves. Can't wait till next way!

It will take Tekken 7's place for me come next week :D

I just hope the online is solid enough to keep people around. Again, a bit of a bummer it's probably not gonna be roll back but so long as the netcode holds up...I mean people still play Tekken 7 with its delay based shit. I know Harada claims they've put Rollback in but no one buys that.

Last edited:
I am a PlayStation Plus member so I can easily get this game for free. However, I am going to buy every single bit of downloadable content possible. I want to show SEGA that there IS a market for Virtua Fighter. This is a golden opportunity for Virtua Fighter to make a comeback and I hope not to see it squandered.

After all, there's a reason why the franchise went dormant for almost ten years.

I am a PlayStation Plus member so I can easily get this game for free. However, I am going to buy every single bit of downloadable content possible. I want to show SEGA that there IS a market for Virtua Fighter. This is a golden opportunity for Virtua Fighter to make a comeback and I hope not to see it squandered.

After all, there's a reason why the franchise went dormant for almost ten years.

I probably will too. I don't really have a problem with them doing it considering we're getting the base game for free, but you just know someone will likely bitch about it ;)

Just like they'll bitch about the lack of rollback....just like they'll bitch about the fact that SEGA is tone deaf and didn't give us what we want...and so on...and so on....

Back