Do you think Shenmue IV will show up at E3

Will Shenmue IV be announced at E3

• Yes

Votes: 9 13.0%
  • No

Votes: 61 88.4%

• Total voters
To be honest, if the game IS in development but far away I would not blame them for keeping quiet until they have something exciting to show. Can you imagine all the shitpost articles and cringe youtubers going 'OH GOD HERE COMES SHENMOO EYE VEE FROM SCAMMASTER SCAMZUKI' I could do without a year or so of spicy hot take cringe ruining the name of the game before development really kick off.
Yeah, I definitely agree with this. Although I'm sure if Shenmue 4 looked amazing at this point the Shenmue-ayyy brigade would still act like a bunch of crazy Karens.

I wonder if we'll hear anything by Gamescom 2021 (August) or Magic 2022 (February).

A Shenmue IV announcement will never have the same impact as Shenmue III and i'm OK with that. In a way, I guess there's less pressure to announce it at E3. A Shenmue IV announcement at a smaller show might actually work in its favour; a big fish in a small pond.

Still, i'd like to hear *something*. Maybe it's being selfish, but i've gotten used to lots of news over the last few years, so not sure I have it in me to go back to hibernation.

That said, the Shenmue documentary is ticking along nicely (had 2 updates in the last 24 hours), the anime is coming, the Limited Run boxset and S3 soundtrack is on its way and we're getting little merch trinkets, so I guess it's not all bad.

No shenmue 4 news until 2022, maybe even 2023.

You ideally want to announce the game and have it come out 7 months later.

When you look at everything we've gathered, i think its pretty obvious what is going on
For those of us that it's not obvious, what are you meaning for what's going on? That it's in pre-dev? That they haven't started yet as they're still finding someone to replace Deep Silver?

And do you mean NO news at all until 2022 or 2023 for the game? No announcements or anything? The ideal doesn't always happen and we waited 3 and a half years for Shenmue 3 to be developed after it was announced it had reached its goal. I could see the 4th being 2 years out from announcement.

My opinion is that we can wait patiently until the Shenmue Anime comes out; and by then I think they should announce that Shenmue 4 is in development.
I think it is our best option in terms of marketing the game and create some hype among the fans and the general public that has some interest in the series and possibly even those that watch anime and like anime related games.
It is not in a so long distant future neither is just arounf the corner; it is a reasonable time to wait.
We've also suffered long enough waiting for Shenmue 3 to happen and I think neither of us is willing to wait even less than half the time we waited for that.
Also if they take too much time people will lose interest in the series and also those not so die hard fans that didn't enjoy Shenmue 3 as much; not to mention that the anime might lose its effect of possibly gathering the peoples interest in the series.

I constantly get the feeling Shensun knows some shit. 👀
We should all interrogate Shensun as a matter of urgency.

Anyway, I’m watching the Koch Media stream because I like torturing myself.

Nah, sorry, all speculation on my part.

I do need to seriously update the shenmue 4 thread as there are loads of tidbits of info that wasnt included which paint a much clearer picture of this entire situation.

I'll do so hopefully in the coming week. But personally, i dont expect any shenmue 4 news until at least 2022 or beyond. Id be more than happy if im wrong.

Last edited:
I have some sympathy for the Koch people if they've been asked to do this by higher ups with very specific instructions about how it must be done, but yeah - not a fun stream to watch.

Seeing some of the stuff they're putting under their Prime label though, I don't see why a theoretical Shenmue IV couldn't hang with this. Just depends if Deep Silver and YsNet want another go together or not.

This Koch stream is truly awful. No wonder Shenmue 3 didn't ship big numbers with this level of marketing prowess.
I rarely make negative remarks when it comes to presentations like this, as I can be understanding due to how hard it can be to produce/how many hours goes into it etc. However, I'm pretty surprised to see that Koch seem to be so out of touch with what the audience expect during E3 week. People tune into this kind of thing to see back to back trailers of new games that will be coming, not 15 seconds of a looped in-game clip followed by a 30 minute developer interview lol. Sure that thing can be great, but this is not the time nor place. In the whole 45 minute stream up to this point, they have showed maybe 2-3 minutes of game footage (trailer OR gameplay). I get that they are wanting to push the focus on the Prime Matter & the dev teams that they have onboard, but that would be done much better by just having a solid show of games.

It pretty sad to see to be honest. Embracer group have apparently offered sponsored streams to almost all of Twitch. These streamers are being paid to watch it, and even they are having a hard time :( It's such a shame really, as it's just an issue with the format in general that has made this such a slog.

Sure, there's a lot of cool looking games in here, but give me the trailer, ~1-2 minute talk about the game, and more on the the next. That's the E3 format for a reason. Every game will not be liked by every person, as we all have our own personal tastes. For example, In the normal ~1-2 minute format, if COD comes on (something that I'm not interested in), I just check my emails or something and wait for the next trailer. In this format, you have to wait around for ~20 minutes... It's just a bad idea all around.
Take the interviews and put them together in a post show like the other publishers do. The people who are interested to learn more will wait around. Instead, they are almost forcing viewers to lose focus and tune out.

Saying all that, they just showed King's Bounty and it looked cool lol. Redeem everything with KCD2 at the end ;)

The Koch Media stream was really boring, or lets say the interviews were way too long.
It felt really forced, like they just had these couple of 30-60 seconds work in progress trailers
and thought that this doesnt work as a full show, so they stretched every single game presentation
to 10, 15, 20 minutes but without any gameplay. And thats not really a great idea
one day after the Summer Game Fest opening stream and one day before the big E3 streams are starting.
Also Koch Medias own gaming department, Deep Silver, wasnt even there.
So even Deep Silvers 2020 E3 announced game Chorus wasnt in the Koch Media stream,
and as they announced before, all of the big IPs like Metro, Dead Island, Timesplitters, Saints Row etc were missing.
It was pretty much just a 'Prime Matter' ad. Almost if they were only streaming to get the attention
of other developers and not to show the audience new games.

The only two Deep Silver games in that show, were Kingdcom Come and Outward
but only because the KCD Switch port and the Outward PS5 / Xbox Series X port
are part of Prime Matter now. So there werent any real Deep Silver games updates or announcements at all.
For example Chorus wasnt mentioned because its not part of Prime Matter, just Deep Silver.
So they only would have mentioned Shenmue if it would be a part of Prime Matter now,
but if its still a Deep Silver only thing then it makes sense that it wasnt in the show.
It wasnt a Deep Silver show.

Last edited:
Well, the Koch Media stream was perhaps the most appropriate time to announce a Shenmue 4 and it didn't happen.

I can't see it being announced on the Xbox or PC Gaming shows, it's most likely we're not getting a Shenmue 4 at E3 2021. Looks like we'll have to wait a bit longer. 😫

Prevailing consensus seems to be that the Koch Media's conference was one of the worst of all time.

As far as Shenmue IV goes, I'll still watch things throughout E3 and Sony's conference in a few weeks, but I'm still of the mindset that it won't show until much later in the year if it does. I'm hedging my bet for 2022.

2022 seems to really be the year that things will start to take off. Lots of announced games are coming in 2022 or delayed until 2022 and a big reason for that is Covid-19. It isn't quite over and continues to cause innumerable ripples to the world's economy and production time.

Development time is no exception either, especially when it comes to a small team like YsNet, wherein it probably affected them moreso in terms of being pushed back.

I know that Covid-19 had an enormous impact in terms of economy, health care and many other areas that are a part of the worlds daily life; but it has also served has an excuse for many other things as well; and I'm sure that game development was also one of them as well.
Altough I don't work in that area; I'm sure that nowdays with the available technology it is much easier to developt a game even from home than it was a couple of years ago.
In fact; one thing that was proven was that most people that worked from home during covid-19 were much more productive than they were in their working place; in most cases companies even increased their profit margins because they had less expenses with their work spaces.

I sure that developing a game with every different area needed working in the same place is definitely much more productive; specially when it come to solve problems that may involve some of those areas; but there is also a lot of work that can be done withouth having to have everyone working in the same place.

I believe that a small but well organized team can be much more productive working apart than a larger team and Covid-19 shouldn't be an excuse for everything even game development.

Last edited:
Nah, sorry, all speculation on my part.

I do need to seriously update the shenmue 4 thread as there are loads of tidbits of info that wasnt included which paint a much clearer picture of this entire situation.

I'll do so hopefully in the coming week. But personally, i dont expect any shenmue 4 news until at least 2022 or beyond. Id be more than happy if im wrong.
Take your time ShenSun I'm looking forward to seeing what the updated IV news post entails. I have to agree I never have expected any movement on IV til the absolute earliest being next year even then it's a stretch. It seems like such a easy choice though to pen the announcement of IV with the anime's release. Whether that happens or not is a different story 😂.

Well, with some perspective (of other modern AA games) i think its still too early to panic.
Deep Silvers Kingdom Come Deliverance was released in february 2018
and so far they still havent announced a sequel. So almost 3 and a half years with no news at all,
even tho the studio still exists and is working on something.

THQ Nordics game Elex was released in october 2017
and they announced the sequel today. Thats 3 years and 8 months with no news at all.

Koei Tecmos Dynasty Warriors 9 was released in february 2018
and they announced Dynasty Warriors 9 Empires in september 2020.
Thats 2 years and 7 months with no news.

Shenmue 3 was released in november 2019, so that was only 19 months ago.
Not even close to the 3 year time frame.

Last edited:
I'll be disappointed if Shenmue 4 isn't at least announced to be in development at E3. Shenmue needs momentum 15 year wait was long enough. Even though Shenmue received alot of negativity during its development it also received some positivity. We still have 2 games left with at least a 3 year development cycle for each game(imo it will be longer).

Apart of me feels like maybe they are holding out to see how well the anime does and then try to ride the momentum off of that. Cedric Biscay said that if you are going to do a sequel you have to start asap while you have your team and assets in place. Either way deep down I will remain positive, we did get stuck in a cave for 15 years so I guess 1.5 year ain't to bad.

Back