General Virtua Fighter Talk

Wow, the Virtua Fighter Esports Arcade allows you to play people online from the cabinet. That's a great move to keep people playing when no one is around during certain times of the day.

upload_2021-6-10_12-9-34-png.4072

They should do this with all online capable games in the arcade. It could bring a new life to this golden forgotten scene.

to be fair, they’ve been doing this for a while in Japan. Tekken 7 arcade cabinets are all online in Japan. Played a lot of T7 the last time I was there against a range of people from all different arcades. Single player is non exsistent. It’s all about online 1vs1 or local 1vs1. It’s great fun.

one thing that slightly bums me out about that cabinet is that it’s not a three button setup. I guess it doesn’t mean much, but it would be cool to have seen three buttons only as opposed to a standard 8 button set up. But I suppose they are just standard cabinets and not cater made.

I've made it to 4th Dan, which is an accomplishment for me at the moment. lol.

I have no ability to judge when people are going to throw, or how to know when to time a throw reversal. I spent like an hour on the tutorial and training and then it all fell apart in a match. The "predictive" part of the game is what really eludes me. I just don't think fast enough... I guess it's more about being prepared to react at a split second rather than "predicting." I also frequently get caught in the cheapest combos; for instance, how do I escape 3-4 jabs in a row when I'm guarding? It seems like whenever I let go of guard my opponent immediately has a window to hit me. Should I be evading more?

My defensive game is a mess. That's what I know.

In my opinion, this is one of the best video games of all time. I have put in 25 hours and I am absolutely miserable at it. I have no desire to stop playing.
Try going through arcade mode on Hard, that will help you understand how some of the fighters attack you which is certainly better than finding out online when there's potential lag / pressure

If i play against someone that keeps throwing and I don't have the reaction time to throw break, concentrate at keeping them at a distance. When you get a hard knockdown, i just backdash out of range to reset rather than predict the wrong wake up attack and i'm under pressure again.

Don't be afraid to throw straight/low jabs. They often have the highest frame advantage. Kage has the fastest low punch in the game. If an opponent sees you blocking a lot that's an invite for them to throw you. If you're fighting someone who keeps spamming low punch due to this practice sidestepping and kick them over

Don't be predictable. Don't start each round with the same attack, you'd be amazed how many people you can just dash up and throw as they don't expect it. I fought a high level Akira who started every round with the >> elbow and i just put in the counter command everytime to wipe his health and confidence out

Who do you play as?

I use Kage-Maru. I definitely need to use the low punch more, then. I was watching a vid where I learned throws are the fastest moves, but I guess they don't work when your opponent's doing a combo? Anyway, I guess that's why I got stuck on trying to learn more about throwing.

I have not spent enough time practicing single player and I'm positive that's why I've sort of hit a wall. I always freak out when I get caught in a spam attack. I really need to work on dodging.

Last edited:
I use Kage-Maru. I definitely need to use the low punch more, then. I was watching a vid where I learned throws are one of the fastest moves, but I guess they don't work when your opponent's doing a combo? Anyway, I guess that's why I got stuck on trying to learn more about throwing.

I have not spent enough time practicing single player and I'm positive that's why I've sort of hit a wall. I always freak out when I get caught in a spam attack. I really need to work on dodging.
attacks beat throws in general. Try setting the cpu in lobby between matches to one of the pre set higher difficulties and just force yourself to guard and look at the AI throwing out moves in general. You can kind of start to learn stuff by doing that. Look up your most effective punishers. Look for simple jabs and pokes to break up their offence and to see where you can poke holes.

Just look for holes in their offence and what not. Low punch really is effective though in taking turns away from them and poking holes in their offence. Side step is also hugely important in this game. Mids are a huge factor in this game. Mids definitely are the most effective tools here.

I struggle with throws too. I struggle with relying on guard too much and then getting thrown before I can tech it.

the thing I struggle with is actually hitting a throw on a successful guard of a string. It feels like either the timing window is so tight on that shit or I‘m doing it wrong and am too slow with the reaction.

I struggle with punishes in general with this game between the low punch and all. It’s kind of hard to know when it’s your turn and all. You think it’s your turn but all it takes is one effective low punch or side step and they can be right back on you with the pressure.

Last edited:
God, I just freaking love this game! On a side note, I have been mostly quiet with my online presence. I have spent most of my time practicing at least two hours per day trying to get movements down. Surprisingly, I am starting to lean more towards Goh ironically enough.

Last edited:
Dunno if this will help you guys (@mjqjazzbar , @Tsukuyomimagi99 and @Kyo_JP), but i wrote a big comprehensive thread on how I went from a complete VF noob to Raider rank.

It's on the Virtua Fighter forums at the following link

https://virtuafighter.com/threads/vf-noob-makes-it-to-raider-rank-heres-how-i-did-it.21619/

Those are the exact steps I took.

The VF community is awesome. Very friendly and welcoming. They're a small passionate fanbase like ours, trying to put out as much VF content as possible and grow their community.

Let me know if you find the thread useful

@danielmann861 and @Down by Law , let me know if i missed anything crucial in the thread that could help the guys out.

That is an incredible post. I am going to spend some time practicing with your guide in mind. Watching the vids first. I've never spent 25 hours on a game that I am completely terrible at. That's how I know there's hope yet for me. I actually want to be good.

Last edited:
That is an incredible post. I am going to spend some time practicing with your guide in mind. Watching the vids first. I've never spent 25 hours on a game that I am completely terrible at. That's how I know there's hope yet for me. I actually want to be good.
Thanks MJQ. Hope it helps.

Well I'm still stuck at LVL 21.

On the one hand, I'm glad the game doesn't demote you back to Dan. (something I had an issue with in Tekken 7...if you go on a losing tilt, you're going down in rank no matter what)

At least this gives the safe guard of saying "Okay, you made it out of Dan, we'll keep you here but the rest of leveling up is on you from here on out. But at least we won't send you back to Dan."

The problem for me is I get the bar up based on beating Higher ranked Dan's only to get a couple of Higher Ranked players then demolish me sending the meter back down. People who really know what they're doing own me with ease. But I feel like I can handle my own against others.

The calibre of player still ranges from people who are really good at VF, to the FG crowd who are good at fighting games but clearly still trying to learn VF and are maybe applying Tekken skills (I'm guilty of doing that too at times), to the spam crowd who are clearly just there for trophies, to the people who probably downloaded because it was free and have no idea what they're doing in general so they mash until their heart is content.

Will keep playing, I've been looking up the VF.com site more and more. Still trying to get my head wrapped around throwing and when its applicable to do so. Or which strings leave who open for throw attempts. I know throws are the fastest moves in the game, but I'm still unsure when its actually safe to throw one out on positive guard.

I'm still having a ball with it though. Even if I'm stuck at that one rank, I'm still just having fun playing VF against actual people for a change. It's easily going to be in my top 10 for the year.

One thing I kind of appreciate about VF in general is how poke heavy it is. And how reliant on pokes it is. It makes for faster paced matches I feel. I kind of appreciate that coming from Tekken where everything can be a lot of "keep distance, set up then juggle to death." As much as I love Tekken, the juggles can get boring in that game at times.

I still really like that VF is dependent on close quarters and literally poking holes in your opponents offence. And puts way more of an emphasis on sidestep in general.

Last edited:
At least in the earlier stages, I've found guarding and dodging really throws a wrench in the majority of players' games. I've had games where I hold G and my opponent spends a minute flailing at me to no effect, not realizing they just need a sweep to even me out. Now that I've started focusing more on defense, I've started to find an angle into getting better at the game. Also understanding middle attacks against certain characters, such as Shun Di whose users tend to spam low attacks, has helped. I've also started religiously practicing the evade commands during training in between ranked matches.

I find most people tend to rely on certain classes of attacks and cannot adapt once you screw that up. I have one move that I constantly spam that I need to get out of my system. It's slow as hell and only works on folks who never guard...

Last night I got absolutely destroyed by Brad. The guy using him was doing these really fast, flashy moves. I need to figure out what was going on there.

Last edited:
I had my defender rank match last night

"Please don't be lion or lei fei"

LV 29 Lion has entered the room

"Forgot to train, ehhhhhhhhhh?"

😑😑🥴🤣
Oh god, Lion. I forgot about him. Super annoying. Its like he can poke you continuously for the entire match. His jumping attack when you're ln the floor is annoying aswell.

Taka is annoying because your combos don't work on him which is silly

Lei fei is safe on everything he does

Goh can convert off anything and does like 80% damage each time.

Might spend the week learning these matchups.

I love the game though. I might start collecting virtua fighter merch. Gonna start watching the anime soon

2972394C-4D24-48C8-B879-F885543042C7.jpeg

After a dry spell, I finally got a rank up

kind of getting my head wrapped around guard buffering. As in hold punch after guard to buffer throw escape.

EDIT: and as soon as I post this, wouldn’t you know? I get demoted thanks to fucking Lion. My hatred for Lion continues. I have hated Lion ever since VF2. I continue to hate him in VF5 on account that I have no idea how to fight his low-mid jabbing mixups.

Fuck Lion! I wish Lion to be removed! I have wished Lion to be removed ever since VF2.

Last edited:
I suppose it's way too early to know but I wonder how Ultimate Showdown is doing? It's getting good reviews so hopefully that helps people pick it up. I bought the game and dlc full price gladly. Also like others have stated fuck Lion he's the only character aside from Taka-Arashi I wish was gone from the series.

I don't know about Lion at a more advanced level, but I totally wrecked a cheesin' Lion last night. Knocked out a few folks including me, about 8 in total, before I got in another round and knocked him out 4-0. Noticed that he wasn't really much for guarding low attacks or jump attacks. I felt good. He left the room right after I did that. Sore loser. :)

I've made it to 15th Dan. Quite an accomplishment for me. I'm scared about the competition ahead. :(

Back