General Virtua Fighter Talk

I suppose it's way too early to know but I wonder how Ultimate Showdown is doing? It's getting good reviews so hopefully that helps people pick it up. I bought the game and dlc full price gladly. Also like others have stated fuck Lion he's the only character aside from Taka-Arashi I wish was gone from the series.
Here's (kind of) an answer for you.

I just hope VF5: Ultimate Showdown survives. It is genuinely one of the best games I've ever played. I'd never put this much time into a fighting game, not even when I owned a Saturn & a copy of Fighters Megamix. These games just never quite clicked with me. They always seemed daunting & a little too "basic" for me at the same time. I tried VF5 in Judgment, or was it Kiwami 2, and thought it was a fun diversion for a minute and moved on. Hell, I owned a copy of VF4: Evo out of loyalty to Yu Suzuki and just couldn't quite get enough interest to fully immerse myself, and that had an incredible tutorial. I hope they can make another VF w/ features like the features in VF4: Evo. That will be an unstoppable game. Some folks say VF4 is the superior game and now I wish they'd re-release that too!

Now, I had a lot of love for the very first VF. That game blew my damn adolescent mind.

I just hope VF5: Ultimate Showdown survives. It is genuinely one of the best games I've ever played. I'd never put this much time into a fighting game, not even when I owned a Saturn & a copy of Fighters Megamix. These games just never quite clicked with me. They always seemed daunting & a little too "basic" for me at the same time. I tried VF5 in Judgment, or was it Kiwami 2, and thought it was a fun diversion for a minute and moved on. Hell, I owned a copy of VF4: Evo out of loyalty to Yu Suzuki and just couldn't quite get enough interest to fully immerse myself, and that had an incredible tutorial. I hope they can make another VF w/ features like the features in VF4: Evo. That will be an unstoppable game. Some folks say VF4 is the superior game and now I wish they'd re-release that too!

Now, I had a lot of love for the very first VF. That game blew my damn adolescent mind.
Evolution was the first and only VF game I played and owned. I put a lot of time into the quest mode. Fighting games never interested me either, and I bought Evolution out of loyalty to Suzuki too 😂. Playing Showdown, it’s like picking up where I left off (with my man Lei-Fei). I started playing online a few days ago. It’s so satisfying to spam the spammers right back with punch combos 😂.

Evolution was the first and only VF game I played and owned. I put a lot of time into the quest mode. Fighting games never interested me either, and I bought Evolution out of loyalty to Suzuki too 😂. Playing Showdown, it’s like picking up where I left off (with my man Lei-Fei). I started playing online a few days ago. It’s so satisfying to spam the spammers right back with punch combos 😂.
I love knocking down people who spam a few moves down a peg or two. The spammers can be fun, but I really like the ones who just abuse cheap moves but have no strategy beyond their cheap move... To me, that’s the best practice

vfesports_AB.png

Now that is a cab i would love to own, cool design, won't weigh a ton due to no CRT either.

Embarrassingly, a move spammer killed me in three rounds today. Taka doing some kind of fast move with his belly. Is the only way around it an evade? I could get in a sweep kick and then he’d get me in the frame.

VF is great to collect for, as there isn't much out there ! There is some nice Esports stuff coming down the pipe though.

Here's my little collection

h18BwRl.jpg
I should have got that Akira figure when i had the chance. I've got the games added to my list, so i'll pick them up slowly. I want to try and get some soundtracks and the anime dvds as well if possible.

Unfortunately everyone, after playing 300+ games, i can say for sure that the netcode is bad. I dont know if local players in my region dropped off, but the majority of the matches as of late have been laggy or moves are not coming out as intended, etc

I hope there is something sega can do. The game is great, but if the online continues to lag and be more of an annoyance than a playable fighter, then i may have to drop the game for now and dabble in it casually here and there.

It's a shame because i really want to stick with it. Hopefully sega can make some adjustments such as a filter option for different regions or fix the connection bar to show how good the connection really is. Or show if the user is on wifi etc.

Last edited:
I am trying to move all characters from 5th Kyu to 1st Dan.

Need to work more on my blocking. My side stepping game is pants.

Spacing - Good
Combos - Great
Moves - Great
Blocking - OK
Side Stepping - Complete and utter shite

Gonna work on the last two over the next few weeks

No promises, but im looking to set up that dojo lobby this weekend, that's if everything goes well in general this week. I'll post it in the lobby thread once i know for certain.

Probably looking at satuday evening or sunday evening.

Got Akira to 24 berserker so trying some other characters. Really enjoyed Lau in Shenmue green (3rd costume) edited the hair to black so he looks like Lan Di. Well maybe Sunming Zhao anyway due to age😉

Tried Sarah who is a beast with fast combos and great range but after running through commands settled on Brad. I really like the slipping style and he is great at mid range. Using 2nd costume with traditional Muay Thai headgear and he looks proper smart. Took him into ranked and won 7/8. Yeah, I'm gonna stick with him a while 😁

Last edited:
So far:
Jacky 5th Dan
Akira 5th Dan
Sarah 3rd Dan
Pai 1st Dan
Lau 1st Dan
Wolf 1st Dan
Jeffry 3rd Kyu

So this technically isn't VF related, but I figured this was amusing to post none the less. I went back to Tekken 7 tonight and was doing pretty well. Managed to secure a 21 win streak online. No easy feat.

Then I came across a guy with a 33 win streak. So I figured one of two things was about to happen. I was either about to lose my decent win streak to someone who is really good or lose it to a bot of some form. But I figured all good things must come to an end and this streak of mine was about to be ended....

20210616232534_1.jpg

....then this happened....I actually won the set....well, I landed the final blow on the final round when all of a sudden....

20210616232901_1.jpg

.....OH WHAT'S THAT!? A SUDDEN COMMUNICATION ERROR ON THE FINAL BLOW? NAH COULDN'T BE NETWORK DROP OUT...LOOK AT THOSE FIVE SOLID BLUE BARS...THE MATCH WAS PERFECT UP UNTIL THEN....

...someone hit the Alt+F4 buttons ;)

Not VF related but this amused me none the less. My win streak continues on (for now...I'm sure someone will take it from me very soon.) But yeah, this just made my night :D

The moral of the story kids? Do not mess with Xiaoyu!

As for VF, I will get back to it sometime soon...I kind of want to switch up from Sarah to Pai and start really learning how to use Pai to full effect. I guess based on my love of Xiaoyu in Tekken, part of me feels like I should learn Pai proper some day since they share similar tools. But Sarah does have a fair few good tools and she's always been my main ever since VF2.

Shun Di and El Blaze are two others I want to learn at some point as well.

Last edited:
So this technically isn't VF related, but I figured this was amusing to post none the less. I went back to Tekken 7 tonight and was doing pretty well. Managed to secure a 21 win streak online. No easy feat.

Then I came across a guy with a 33 win streak. So I figured one of two things was about to happen. I was either about to lose my decent win streak to someone who is really good or lose it to a bot of some form. But I figured all good things must come to an end and this streak of mine was about to be ended....

View attachment 11804

....then this happened....I actually won the set....well, I landed the final blow on the final round when all of a sudden....

View attachment 11805

.....OH WHAT'S THAT!? A SUDDEN COMMUNICATION ERROR ON THE FINAL BLOW? NAH COULDN'T BE NETWORK DROP OUT...LOOK AT THOSE FIVE SOLID BLUE BARS...THE MATCH WAS PERFECT UP UNTIL THEN....

...someone hit the Alt+F4 buttons ;)

Not VF related but this amused me none the less. My win streak continues on (for now...I'm sure someone will take it from me very soon.) But yeah, this just made my night :D

The moral of the story kids? Do not mess with Xiaoyu!

As for VF, I will get back to it sometime soon...I kind of want to switch up from Sarah to Pai and start really learning how to use Pai to full effect. I guess based on my love of Xiaoyu in Tekken, part of me feels like I should learn Pai proper some day since they share similar tools. But Sarah does have a fair few good tools and she's always been my main ever since VF2.

Shun Di and El Blaze are two others I want to learn at some point as well.
This happens alot on dragon ball fighterz

This happens alot on dragon ball fighterz

Yeah I know, it happens in VF5US...happens in MK11...happens in SFV...happens in every fighting game I've ever played online. Always someone out there who can't take the heat ;)

...if only they would come to realize that losing in fighting games is half the battle ;)

Speaking of which...has anyone tried Guilty Gear: Strive? I'm kind of tempted to pick it up...but not sure. I don't really go much for 2D fighters. I think I'm more of a 3D guy in general as I just find 3D fighters to be technically more interesting.

Last edited:
Yeah I know, it happens in VF5US...happens in MK11...happens in SFV...happens in every fighting game I've ever played online. Always someone out there who can't take the heat ;)

...if only they would come to realize that losing in fighting games is half the battle ;)

Speaking of which...has anyone tried Guilty Gear: Strive? I'm kind of tempted to pick it up...but not sure. I don't really go much for 2D fighters. I think I'm more of a 3D guy in general as I just find 3D fighters to be technically more interesting.
Im planning on picking it up soon. Ive seen it for £19. The issue is i dont want to split my attention away from virtua fighter. I really want to go hard on VF and learn it properly. The only thing that's becoming a hindrance is the netcode which i hope sega can address

Well, started finding the Japanese players....we went from spammers to Japanese players....and holy shit! They reminded me just how not good at VF I am....dang! Especially that one Japanese Akira I faced tonight....I had no idea how to even react to that shit.

I like VF, but I will NEVER be good at VF is what I came to realize.

Back