Gaming Backlog

SliverOfSand

I see...
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles
Not sure if there is a thread on this already, but I thought I’d give this a go. Lately it seems my backlog has been growing more and more, and for the first time in a while I feel almost overwhelmed with all the games I have yet to play/finish. It could be because I now have all the major consoles (PS4, Xbox, Switch) so I have a much wider selection of games to choose from. Does anyone else find it hard to keep up with their backlog, and if so, how do you prioritize?

I think I’ll compile a list of the games in my backlog (that I can remember) to keep track of what I have yet to complete. :) Feel free to do the same, I’d be interested to see what’s in other people’s backlogs.

Games I am currently playing:

Ace Attorney Trilogy:
Never really got into the series until this year, and I am really liking it so far. Finishing Trials and Tribulations and then I have one more game to finish the trilogy before the Great Ace Attorney Chronicles releases.

Shenmue:
Starting another play through since I didn’t do one in 2020. Going to go through all three games again because why not? ;)

Professor Layton and the Curious Village:
Started getting into Professor Layton through the music, since it has some amazing soundtracks. Bought Katrielle and the Millionaires’ Conspiracy on switch but realized right after that the first Layton game is on iOS. Liking it a lot so far!

Animal Crossing New Horizons:
This is just one of those games that I play for in-between moments when I want a minute to unwind.

Games I have yet to finish:

Balan Wonderworld:
Got halfway through and then got busy and forgot about it for a bit. Planning to finish it in the next little while though.

Ori and the Will of the Wisps:
Just bought this on switch when it was on sale. I got through the first 2-3 hours and am really enjoying it. The graphics are gorgeous and the gameplay is very fun!

Outer Wilds:
Got this one a few months ago and played it twice and then forgot about it (this happens to me a lot). I really liked it from what I played, I did find moving around a bit frustrating, but that could be because I’m not used to first-person perspective. Again, I mostly got into this game because of the phenomenal music.

Psychonauts:
I had wanted to play this since a while and it was on sale for $5 or something so I bought it and got through the first level and then dropped it again (I can’t remember why). Really liked it, it seems like an amazing platformer with a lot of charm.

Sonic Mania:
Got quite far into mania, but I just recently realized that I never actually finished it. 2D sonic has never been a strong suite of mine, although I still enjoy it. I just can’t seem to finish them!

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1+2:
This was my first experience playing a Tony Hawk game, so I am definitely not skilled enough to complete this game yet. I’ve had the craving to go back and play it again recently, so we’ll see how it goes!

Wonder Boy: The Dragon’s Trap:
Bought this when it first released and got (maybe) half way through. I love the hand-drawn art style of this remake, it has so much character.

Spyro Reignited Trilogy:
I got through the first of the three games in this remake and then got tired of it. I enjoyed it, but I was sort of tired of the ‘collectathon“ type of game so I decided to take a break but then never went back to it.

Super Mario 3D All-Stars:
Got this in a set with the switch I bought. I played the first level of Mario 64 and then left it at that. This is probably something that I’m gonna leave for when I don’t feel like playing anything else.

Games I haven’t started/that will be releasing soon:

Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires' Conspiracy:
I got through the first three puzzles of this game but found I was somewhat bored by the characters. I decided to wait on this one until I complete the first Layton game, and then come back to it and see how it goes.

Game Builder Garage:
Just tried the demo yesterday, and it really piqued my interest. It seems a lot more approachable than Dreams, but I’d like to see how creative you can actually get with it before spending my money on it.

Rocket League:
Have been wanting to try this game for years but never did, mostly because I didn’t have people to play it with. I might try it out anyways and see how I like it.

The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles:
This one hasn’t released yet, but this is one of my most anticipated games for this year. Luckily, since I’m mew to the series in general I don’t know anything about this game so I can go into it completely fresh!

Sable:
I’ve been following this game ever since I saw the reveal trailer, and I’m very excited to see that it’s releasing this year. I love the art style so much, I’m a big fan of Moebius‘ artwork, so this game is something I’m eagerly waiting for!

Sonic Colours Ultimate:
I’ve already played through colours on the Wii, but I’m definitely going to play it again, it’s one of my favourite modern Sonic games.

Sonic Origins Collection:
Like I said, not too good at 2D Sonic games, but I wouldn’t pass up a chance to play them. I especially like Sonic 2, so I’m looking forward to seeing what they do with this collection.

Forza Horizon 5: I just saw the trailer as I was starting to write this thread, but I’ve played the Forza Horizon series since 3 and I love them so much. I’m excited about the location, it looks like there is a lot of variety.

These are all I can think of for now, sorry for the long post! 😅

Great post! My backlog is also jam packed at the moment. I'm not rushing though! The games aren't going anywhere so I plan to just sit back and play through them at my own pace.

Red Dead Redemption 2:
Always been curious about this one since it came out, but only just picked it up recently in the Epic Sale. Never played a Red Dead game, but I'm a big fan of single player Rockstar games. Just through the first chapter and I'm having a lot of fun with it. Seems like the kind of thing that'll really sink its teeth into me for a while.

Beat Saber: The best VR game! Really having a lot of fun with this one and using it to try and keep fit and healthy, especially during lockdown. Having it on PC lets you load custom songs with gives it infinite replay value.

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Been chipping away at this one in chunks for over two years now. It's the kind of game I can play for weeks at a time and still not get bored of. I feel like I've done so much in this game, but at the same time, I still don't even feel close to finishing it. The amount of content they've packed into it is insane!

The Medium:
Very cool game with really creative mechanics. I get the impression that I'm very close to the end now, but I'm taking a bit of a break from it just now as the atmosphere and story is really dingy and dark.

Assassin's Creed: Valhalla: I'm not an Assassin's Creed fan at all, but the promise of Vikings made it impossible for me to pass up on this one. I've played a little bit of it so far, but for the time being it's on the back burner as I don't have the time just now for what looks to be such a massive scale game.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider: I played through the first two Tomb Raider reboot games back to back at the start of the year and really enjoyed them. But starting this one, I realised that I was all Tomb Raider'd out. I'm sure it's not a bad game or anything like that, but I'll return to it once some more time has passed.

The Witcher 3: I played through a lot of this on PS4 back when it came out but never got round to finishing it. Waiting for the upcoming RTX version for PC to give it another crack.

Yakuza Kiwami: I was a big fan of Yakuza 0, but I struggled to get into Kiwami. I definitely want to give it another chance though as the Yakuza series is one I could see myself becoming a fan of.

No Man's Sky: I played this one way back at the beginning before it started getting all of its massive content updates. I enjoyed it back then, so I'm really excited to see how it's evolved since.

Final Fantasy XV: Got a few hours into this one when it launched but that's about it. Definitely need to start a new playthrough as I did find the experience to be enjoyable.

Judgement:
I own it on PS4, but never got round to playing it. Really holding out for a PC release soon.

Yakuza Collection: As I said before, I'm definitely interested in giving more Yakuza games a spin. This'll be the natural next step once I finish Kiwami and Kiwami 2.

Watch Dogs Legion: Bought it because it was pretty cheap. Looks like a lot of fun just for the recreation of London alone. Don't think I'm going to be a massive fan of the gameplay however.

The Last of Us Part II: I was really excited for this one, but I couldn't really afford to buy it when it came out and then it just fell off my radar. I loved the first game massively, so I feel it's inevitable that I play this one soon.

Kena: Bridge of Spirits: HYPE HYPE HYPE! Oh my god I cannot wait for this game! I seriously feel this could make it into my favourite games of all time list. Everything about this game just looks incredible.

https://backloggery.com/Truck_1_0_1_ for my actual backlog.

Following this thread however...

Nothing :(. I will be following @Dietsoap though, in starting up...

Burning Rangers (SAT): as I got to the 3rd level over 10 years ago and haven't gone back to it since. But I will, soon.

As for other titles, you can see in my backloggery what I haven't completed, but in terms of what is pressing:

Puyo Puyo (GEN): I've kept trying and trying and trying, but I'm just not good enough at the higher levels. Frustrating but fun, I don't know if I'll ever finish it completely :(

Vectorman 2 (GEN): Grr, I really should've beaten this first-time out, but wasn't able to. I'll take another shot soon, as this doesn't take a super-long time to play through.

Carrier (DC): Mentuioned this a while back; I finished a good third of the game, but never went back to it. I even have the strategy guide, so there's no excuse for not beating it. Maybe in October?

Illbleed (DC): Aside from the strategy guide, this is 100% ditto as Carrier.

Rayman 2 (DC): Also mentioned this a while back, have completed 27.4% of the game, as of May, 2007 and haven't touched it since. Criminal of me.

Judge Eyes 2/Lost Judgement:
The only current-gen game on here, just waiting for its release :)

Napple Tale: Arsia in Daydream (DC): This is a big one I need to begin, as I've had it since 2016.

Wachenroder, Wizardry: Llygamyn Saga, Lunar: Eternal Blue (all SAT): The Japanese RPGs with either a Translation guide (or a guide in general), I got all these with the intention of playing them the last 6-7 months when I lived in Calgary (2017), but work became a major hassle and forced me to move back to Ontario, so I never got around to playing them :(.

Puzzle & Action Games (Multi): I got the GG version, Genesis version and the sequel on the Saturn, last year, with the intention of sitting back and giving them a whirl... but I never have. I will need to start these up as well.

As I wrote in the cooking thread, having so little time nowadays to do much, it's really hard to get some good gaming sessions in. I should really get cracking on finishing up the middle games though, as I know I can complete Rayman, Vectorman and especially BR, sooner, rather than later.

Ninja Gaiden Master Collection PS5 ( I am just busy with Sigma 1 and i really like it to so far)

My Third run of the FF7 Remake this time on Ps5 (still love the game, which is quite ironic because I absolutely disliked the original FF 7 and was Always more the FF 8 man. But the Remake did the world of FF7 justice without the bad german Translation and funny Looking characters that made it impossible for to take the game seriously.

Red Ninja PS2

(despite the bad camera and clunkly controls a very good ninja game)

Dead Space PC

I am very late to Party and i really enjoy the game so far. It has a great atmosphere and a interesting Story. You Need read the dead space Comic and the watch the movie Dead Space downfall to get most out of the Story. It is a pity that I did not play it earlier. My dislike for Re 4 made me ignore it because I though it was just a bad Re 4 clone.

I was so wrong with that. EA of all People was better.than Shinji Mikami to make a third Person game with shooter Elements that is still very scare. 11 years before Capcom found out how to do it with the RE 2 Remake.

and lots of arcarde stuff, Virtua Fighter 2, 3, 4,5 Ridge Racer Type 4 Daytona USA Saturn Version, Virtua Cop 1 and 2, House of the Dead

lots of Dreamcast stuff

Carrier

I actually liked the game a lot but stopped playing it because i got lost at some Point in the game. I want to finish at at some point in the future though.

D2

Also a very great game but very hard to play in Japanese . I can only play short Segments of it before it is getting to bothersome.

Ilbleed

Got a reproduction at it quite some time ago but I have not started it yet

Games I haven’t started/that will be releasing soon

Upcoming games I am looking Forward to are Kenna and the next Judgement Game.

Last of US Part 2 is with me for quite some time I have not started it yet though.

Last edited:
I have way too many I can think of to count them all, but I have a few I need to get back to as well as some I’ve been rotating.

Earth Defense Force: World Brothers - was initially skeptical but for the most part I love it so far

Yakuza 7 - the real daunting thing for me is just trying to grind as much and do as much as possible before I get to the end, and feeling burnt out. I don’t have to do it all but I’m a completionist for stuff I love.

Nier Replicant remake - technically already finished it all but trying to get the platinum.

Atelier Ryza 1 and 2 - kind of dumb of me but playing both simultaneously for no reason.

SnowRunner - really fun game but also very in depth and challenging to get a whole lot done per session.

Biomutant - pretty fun so far but was not a fan of the first boss I faced and the pacing is a bit wonky.

I think that’s most of what I want to keep in mind for now. I’ve been focusing way more on improving my art lately in what little free time I’ve had so gaming in general has been put on the back burner…but tbh it’s just too damn hot right now to do anything when I get home lately and it’s all I can do to just sit in front of as many fans as I can. Can’t wait til fall.

Of course, Skyward Sword is coming out next month, then No More Heroes 3 the month after(of which I want to draw most of my favorite bosses in the series as a project), and now a surprise reveal of Metroid Dread. I gotta kind of pick abs choose my priorities but NMH3 will definitely take over my life.

Games I'm Currently Playing:
-------------------------------------------

I've been playing a lot of Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart on the PS5. Always been a big fan of Ratchet and Clank and had to buy this day one as its a true PS5 exclusive and we haven't had many of them. Honestly? I love it but I do have thoughts. I was a bit let down by the world jumping stuff. I thought it was literally gonna be jumping from world to world seamlessly on the fly whenever you wanted. As in no moving between dimensions or planets on the ship. Just jumping from dimension to dimension and showing off the seamless nature of that SSD.

But its not quite that. I understand they couldn't do this on PS4 without many load times, but its not quite as cool as I thought it would be. I thought it would be many massive worlds that are just constantly streaming and loading in as you move from dimension to dimension at any time through the portals. But structurally, it's still very much the same R&C we've seen before. You still get in a ship and travel between worlds and such.

I don't know, I guess I wanted a more radical reworking of design to really show off that SSD. Although I will say load times are fantastic in general across the board. You are never left waiting. You are always back in the thick of the action pretty quickly. And it is a gorgeous game none the less.

As for story? It's been captivating and I like Rivet a whole bunch, but I couldn't help but feel they could have done more with the parallel dimension stuff in terms of maybe more fan service. Would have been fun to see more of Captain Qwarks alternative versions and such. But still, the game itself is a blast to play. It's a ton of fun just shooting everything in sight and dodging non stop. Especially on the harder difficulties. I won't say it's been taxing, but it did provide a little bit more of a challenge on the hardest difficulty with the new dodge mechanics. Yeah, I really am liking it. Just wish it maybe did a little more reinvention as it does sometimes feel a bit too formula.

Other than that? Tekken 7 and Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown continue to take up most of my time. I just really enjoy playing those two games online and learning more playing against people.

---------------------------------------------

Yakuza 7 --
Now granted, I have beaten the Japanese version. I put 120 hours into said Japanese version at launch and platinumed it. But I have yet to finish the English version of Yakuza 7. I'm just struggling with the grind is all. I know that's a game I will platinum and the platinum for that game is a massive grind. And I just didn't have the energy to do it twice. I think I left it at 58 or 59 hours on chapter 10 or 11...was a bit bummed there was no cross save between PS4 and PS5 version. I would love to play the PS5 upgrade at 60fps but I just can't justify another 50 hour+ grind to get back to where I left the PS4 version. Damn you RGG Studios for not including cross save on that.

Persona 5 Royal -- I loved Persona 5 Vanilla, but I never did get around to finishing P5 Royal. I left it at Futaba's palace and never got back to it. I think it was the same time that Ghost of Tsushima came out and that took my attention. And I just never got back to finishing P5 Royal. Should rectify that some day. I was curious to see how the story of the new girl played out...Again, that's a LONG grind of a game that really needs time invested into it.

Cyberpunk 2077 -- I put about 15 hours into it and never came back to it...it just really underwhelmed me and I don't think it's a game I have any desire to go back to.

Persona 5 Royale -- I was playing it on the Switch Lite and made it about 15 hours in...I like the story elements, but the muso combat wanes one me so badly. I will force myself to finish it one of these days...just because I like those characters and that world, but muso games really do bore me.

Games I haven't started yet/released soon:
--------------------------------------------------------

Resident Evil 8 Village -- I just can't bring myself to buy it at full price. That's a game I'm actually actively waiting for a sale on. I like Resident Evil but if I'm being honest, first person Resident Evil didn't do much for me the first time around and I just didn't have that same excitement going into RE8 at launch that I did for RE2 Remake and such. So fuck it, that's gonna be a "wait for the inevitable sale" game for me. I'll pick it up when it goes on sale on either Steam or PSN.

Back