Ninja Gaiden Master Collection

Favourite title
Shenmue

I was really excited for the NG Master Collection but it appears that it is just the original Xbox/360/PS3 era NG games ported to the last gen consoles. Still, I'm looking forward to giving Ninja Gaiden another chance as a whole so I'm curious to know from anyone who has extensive experience with the original 3D era NG games, is there any reason to buy Black, 2 and 3 RE at full digital price rather than getting the Master Collection? I've heard some differences regarding less blood in the Master Collection versions, which for me isn't really a deal breaker. I'm curious to know if there's any real reason outside of the blood differences to spend more money buying the older dated titles rather than just buying the Master Collection?? I was hoping there would be equal involvement from Kasumi, Ayane and Momiji as there will be for Hayabusa, but it's my understanding that if these are just ports that it will be similar to the older titles.

Who is going to buy the Master Collection? What are your thoughts?

Is there a good reason to spend more $$ on the older original titles?

Most importantly, any word on if Master Collection is coming to Xbox Game Pass or PS Now on launch day??

I purchased the Master Collection Delxue on PSN already.

I expect nothing just a port of the old games because I have never experienced them. I have no experience with the orginal Ninja Gaiden games on Xbox and the Sigma Games on the PS3. I might give the the xbox games a try if they run on the One S and if they are quite cheap to purchase.

I purchased the Master Collection Delxue on PSN already.

I expect nothing just a port of the old games because I have never experienced them. I have no experience with the orginal Ninja Gaiden games on Xbox and the Sigma Games on the PS3. I might give the the xbox games a try if they run on the One S and if they are quite cheap to purchase.
I decided to go ahead and order the Master Collection Deluxe on XB Series too.

I played a little bit of the older titles and didn't connect with them as much, but after getting into Dead or Alive a lot more in the last month or so I've been more interested in giving the 360/PS3 era NG titles another and more thorough chance. I actually had a trade in today of a few 360 consoles and about 70 original XB, 360 and N64 games today and two of the games included were NG for Xbox original and NG2 for 360, both are backwards compatible on XB1. NG2 and 3 RE are not exactly affordable on the digital side of things at $30 USD, but they can be purchased fairly cheap on disc. NG Black is expensive in the retail market around $50 USD, but digitally its $10 USD which seems fair for an older title. I am going to start with the Master Collection and see if its even worth revisiting the original versions. If its only more blood, I don't think that'll be a compelling reason, but we'll see what else comes up after the MC release.

Although I like the Ninja scenario and the DOA collection I never gave the game a try back then because I was not into super heavy games. Today i did not mind a good challenge but back then I wanted just casual gameplay. I am curious how hard the Ninja Gaiden Games are really are. Hope they are not worse than Sekiro. I like playing Sekiro once in a while but have not finished it yet. That will take some more to finish if I manage it at at all. I am really curious how hard it is going to be.

Tech wise I do not expect much as I have already said so I am no gonna be disapointed.

Although I like the Ninja scenario and the DOA collection I never gave the game a try back then because I was not into super heavy games. Today i did not mind a good challenge but back then I wanted just casual gameplay. I am curious how hard the Ninja Gaiden Games are really are. Hope they are not worse than Sekiro. I like playing Sekiro once in a while but have not finished it yet. That will take some more to finish if I manage it at at all. I am really curious how hard it is going to be.

Tech wise I do not expect much as I have already said so I am no gonna be disapointed.
Yeah, I agree with you on this. I too am concerned about the difficulty as I don't enjoy playing games to be stressed out or challenged. I like thought provoking stories, deep character development and most of all a good moral to a story, but when it comes to gameplay itself as long as the physics and mechanics of a game work I typically prefer to play on Easy or even Very Easy if possible. If I want to feel stressed, angry and frustrated all I have to do is step out of the house into town. I go to nature and art(select music, movies, games)to introspect, relax, laugh, cry and allow myself to feel any emotions that come through, but adding frustration or challenge without warranting it is silly. Sekiro is actually a good example: I found the gameplay to be challenging more than I typically would like, but it wasn't brutal and a deal breaker, I just thought the game itself was trash from a creation, character, story and moral standpoint(I would've rather seen a Tenchu game instead) but if the NG collection plays at a Sekiro difficulty level it won't be ideal, but I can hang with it if the story is compelling I should enjoy it. I really like Kasumi, Ayane and Momiji so that's a big plus and Hayabusa isn't too bad, perhaps I'll end up liking him even more after playing these. Not thinking I'll be liking Rachel if shes anything like she is in DOA. Graphics are whatever in this case due to age, I expect PS3/360 graphics so if they do any small thing to bring it up to date, I'll be cool with that. It's not like it's PS1/N64 era graphics, I can live with most 360/PS3 graphics and even some OG Xbox/PS2. The games should still feel real enough graphically.

The games will be running on 4K resolution and sixty frames per second. They also feature the same mechanical depth as any excellent stylish action title with a deep combat system. It has issues with its camera and I am not a fan of Rachel, but it's a solid series in my opinion.

I am surprised you are going with this collection seeing as how superior ports of the game arrived on the Xbox years ago. I do not know how this collection will compare to the former, but it is certainly up to date.

The games will be running on 4K resolution and sixty frames per second. They also feature the same mechanical depth as any excellent stylish action title with a deep combat system. It has issues with its camera and I am not a fan of Rachel, but it's a solid series in my opinion.

I am surprised you are going with this collection seeing as how superior ports of the game arrived on the Xbox years ago. I do not know how this collection will compare to the former, but it is certainly up to date.

Your response is timely for me and is appreciated as always. I'm actually a lot more excited for this trilogy than I was before, admittedly some of the inspiration to revisit NG came out of our previous discussion when DOA was mentioned. As a result of jumping back into DOA at a deeper level I'm now interested in seeing how NG plays out, it admittedly looks good. I've only played a limited amount of NG previously and wasn't receptive or open to it at that time, so I'm going in this time with no real expectations other than hoping for a reasonably solid story.

I must ask, why are the Black, 2 and original 3 versions better than Sigma 1, Sigma 2 and 3RE? From my limited ability to find deep input while researching I've basically heard the gore lover community say the Master Collection games don't have enough blood, other than that there doesn't seem to be any commentary on why they're better and I've heard everything else is identical and that regular 3 is actually really broken and that sigma 1 and sigma 2 are more well rounded than black and original 2. I'd love some other details and facts as to any differences you may be willing to share that I cant find info on elsewhere. The two main reasons I preordered MC over buying the original titles is price and gore doesn't make a difference to me with that being the only real difference I've heard about. I'd probably prefer gore, but not at a higher price for an older unrefined version. The original xbox version of Black and the 360 versions of original 2 and 3RE are a total of $70 in the digital store and Master remake is $40 though I went $45 for the deluxe.

If I recall correctly, you preordered this version as well? Have you beaten these games? If so, without any spoilers please which is your favorite? Do you know of they need to be played sequentially 1, 2, 3 or is there a prequel or other aspects to consider in which order to beat them?

Last edited:
Your response is timely for me and is appreciated as always. I'm a lot more excited for this trilogy than I was before, admittedly some of the inspiration to revisit NG came out of our previous discussion when DOA was mentioned. As a result of jumping back into DOA at a deeper level, I'm now interested in seeing how NG plays out, it admittedly looks good. I've only played a limited amount of NG previously and wasn't receptive or open to it at that time, so I'm going in this time with no real expectations other than hoping for a reasonably solid story.

I must ask, why are the Black, 2, and original 3 versions better than Sigma 1, Sigma 2, and 3RE? From my limited ability to find deep input while researching I've heard the gore lover community say the Master Collection games don't have enough blood, other than that there doesn't seem to be any commentary on why they're better and I've heard everything else is identical and that regular 3 is broken and that sigma 1 and sigma 2 are more well rounded than black and original 2. I'd love some other details and facts as to any differences you may be willing to share that I can't find info on elsewhere. The two main reasons I preordered MC over buying the original titles are price and gore doesn't make a difference to me with that being the only real difference I've heard about. I'd probably prefer gore, but not at a higher price for an older unrefined version. The original Xbox version of Black and the 360 versions of original 2 and 3RE are a total of $70 in the digital store and the Master remake is $40 though I went $45 for the deluxe.

If I recall correctly, you preordered this version as well? Have you beaten these games? If so, without any spoilers please which is your favorite? Do you know if they need to be played sequentially 1, 2, 3, or is there a prequel or other aspects to consider in which order to beat them?
Well, I will start by saying that if you are looking to Ninja Gaiden for the story you are going to be disappointed. The narrative is not any better than a B-level wuxia film though they did try with the third game which did not turn out so well. It was one of the main criticisms of Ninja Gaiden 3 with the main one being the watering down of the difficulty (which was fixed in Razors Edge).

I can not comment on Black being better than Ninja Gaiden Sigma: One due to them being the same game. Ninja Gaiden 2 versus Sigma 2 is the real contender here. Outside of the gore, there is the addition of Rachel which I do not like but the addition of the first stage of Skyline Tokyo I did enjoy.

Also, there is a lower amount of enemies to not tax the system in the PlayStation 3 version. Since the frame rate can suffer in several stages so to compensate enemies have more health than in the Xbox version. Perhaps these issues have been fixed in the Master Collection since the advertising states it runs at sixty frames per second, but I won't know till the game is released.
Mechanics-wise, the combat depth is the same as Black, and the stages are more streamlined in comparison to the first Ninja Gaiden.

The third title is the apology title Ninja Gaiden 3: Razors Edge which restores the difficulty and added Kasumi, Ayane, and Momiji. As for combat depth, I can not comment on it since it's the title I have played the least and have mostly stuck to Ninja Gaiden Black or the first Sigma which is honestly the only reason I am buying this collection.

No, you can jump into any of the titles without needing any prior knowledge. As stated above, the narrative is a throwaway, and the main focus is the combat. Also, it is probably obvious from this post, I enjoy the first title the most. It is in my opinion, the most polished title with the deepest combat.

I apologize for making an assumption here so correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you might enjoy Razor's Edge the most since you are a big fan of Kasumi, Ayane, and to a lesser extent Momiji. Finally, as I stated in our private chat, yes, I preordered the game as soon as it was announced.

Last edited:
Well, I will start by saying that if you are looking to Ninja Gaiden for the story you are going to be disappointed. The narrative is not any better than a B-level wuxia film though they did try with the third game which did not turn out so well. It was one of the main criticisms of Ninja Gaiden 3 with the main one being the watering down of the difficulty (which was fixed in Razors Edge).

I can not comment on Black being better than Ninja Gaiden Sigma: One due to them being the same game. Ninja Gaiden 2 versus Sigma 2 is the real contender here. Outside of the gore, there is the addition of Rachel which I do not like but the addition of the first stage of Skyline Tokyo I did enjoy.

Also, there is a lower amount of enemies to not tax the system in the PlayStation 3 version. Since the frame rate can suffer in several stages so to compensate enemies have more health than in the Xbox version. Perhaps these issues have been fixed in the Master Collection since the advertising states it runs at sixty frames per second, but I won't know till the game is released.
Mechanics-wise, the combat depth is the same as Black, and the stages are more streamlined in comparison to the first Ninja Gaiden.

The third title is the apology title Ninja Gaiden 3: Razors Edge which restores the difficulty and added Kasumi, Ayane, and Momiji. As for combat depth, I can not comment on it since it's the title I have played the least and have mostly stuck to Ninja Gaiden Black or the first Sigma which is honestly the only reason I am buying this collection.

No, you can jump into any of the titles without needing any prior knowledge. As stated above, the narrative is a throwaway, and the main focus is the combat. Also, it is probably obvious from this post, I enjoy the first title the most. It is in my opinion, the most polished title with the deepest combat.

I apologize for making an assumption here so correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you might enjoy Razor's Edge the most since you are a big fan of Kasumi, Ayane, and to a lesser extent Momiji. Finally, as I stated in our private chat, yes, I preordered the game as soon as it was announced.
That's a bummer on the story line, but much like Dead or Alive being wasted potential on the plot overall, it doesn't surprise that NG would be the same. It seems like NG would have even more potential for a great story. Is it at least deeper and better than DOA's story? Lol, I'd at least hope for that as that's not much to compete with. I'd actually be happy if the difficulty was watered down to the easiest since I'm more story driven, but I suppose that would also depend on the gameplay style. I love Ghost of Tsushimas gameplay style so I've played it on every difficulty from easiest to nightmare and enjoy it all and change it up depending on my mood. If NG is more streamlined and not as engaging on a combat level I'll probably opt for the easiest difficulty possible, but if it holds my interest I don't mind cranking it up a notch.

I could do without Rachel being in the game at all too, but from what I've seen shes only a small portion of the missions? (I believe I read 3 missions) Is the Skyline Tokyo level the one in DOA5 with the Buddha-like statue that tries to hit you with its hands? If so, that's visually one of my favorite levels in DOA5, probably next to the Sakura yard from DOA5 story mode where Akira and Kokoro interact and the autumn forest level.

I've heard that said about NG3 elsewhere about Razors Edge being the only version of NG3 that should have existed, the original NG3 must be really broken for the majority of fans to feel that way.

Thank You for the input on the order of the titles. Even with story not being too in depth or impacting I'll probably go sequentially from the first since it makes the most sense in the age of evolution of the games and technology they originally ran on.

No worries on making any assumptions as you tend to assume correct about me often: You're absolutely correct in suggesting Razors Edge. Based on my research from what I've read I mainly did want to check these games out for Kasumi and Ayane and wouldn't you know it: to a lesser extent Momiji! :) I admittedly am also looking forward to playing as Hayabusa after spending a bit more time with the DOA story mode this last month. Rachel my feelings remain unchanged but as long as I don't have to play with her majority of the game(s), I'll be ok. From what I've seen on youtube, what I've read and playing about 10 minutes of the beginning of all 3 titles recently(I don't remember my experience years back with them) I feel like the order it catches my attention in is 3, 2, 1 but I'm fairly certain I'll play them 1, 2, 3 after trying a non-story mode mission or two on each.

On the topic of the NG/DOA characters: I also signed up for PS Now for 1 month to try Warriors Orochi 3 and Warriors All Stars. Admittedly, they both look fairly boring like a bad version of Dynasty Warriors(which is already not very good), but I'm curious to try them none the less after going through NG. Have you played Orochi or Allstars?

I played the first Ninja Gaiden Sigma just a bit already and have finished the first level already. It is so oldschool in the good way. A typical hack and slay of the past with a night art style and quite bloody. The camera and the controls are quite clunky which can be annoying especially in the jumping passages.

That's a bummer on the storyline, but much like Dead or Alive being wasted potential on the plot overall, it doesn't surprise that NG would be the same. It seems like NG would have even more potential for a great story. Is it at least deeper and better than DOA's story? Lol, I'd at least hope for that as that's not much to compete with. I'd be happy if the difficulty was watered down to the easiest since I'm more story-driven, but I suppose that would also depend on the gameplay style. I love Ghost of Tsushima's gameplay style so I've played it on every difficulty from easiest to nightmare and enjoy it all and change it up depending on my mood. If NG is more streamlined and not as engaging on a combat level I'll probably opt for the easiest difficulty possible, but if it holds my interest I don't mind cranking it up a notch.

I could do without Rachel being in the game at all too, but from what I've seen she's only a small portion of the missions? (I believe I read 3 missions) Is the Skyline Tokyo level the one in DOA5 with the Buddha-like statue that tries to hit you with its hands? If so, that's visually one of my favorite levels in DOA5, probably next to the Sakura yard from DOA5 story mode where Akira and Kokoro interact and the autumn forest level.

I've heard that said about NG3 elsewhere about Razors Edge being the only version of NG3 that should have existed, the original NG3 must be broken for the majority of fans to feel that way.

Thank You for the input on the order of the titles. Even with the story not being too in-depth or impacting I'll probably go sequentially from the first since it makes the most sense in the age of evolution of the games and technology they originally ran on.

No worries about making any assumptions as you tend to assume correctly about me often: You're correct in suggesting Razors Edge. Based on my research from what I've read I mainly did want to check these games out for Kasumi and Ayane and wouldn't you know it: to a lesser extent Momiji! :) I admittedly am also looking forward to playing as Hayabusa after spending a bit more time with the DOA story mode this last month. Rachel my feelings remain unchanged but as long as I don't have to play with her majority of the game(s), I'll be ok. From what I've seen on youtube, what I've read, and playing about 10 minutes of the beginning of all 3 titles recently(I don't remember my experience years back with them) I feel like the order it catches my attention in is 3, 2, 1 but I'm fairly certain I'll play them 1, 2, 3 after trying a non-story mode mission or two on each.

On the topic of the NG/DOA characters: I also signed up for PS Now for 1 month to try Warriors Orochi 3 and Warriors All-Stars. Admittedly, they both look fairly boring as a bad version of Dynasty Warriors(which is already not very good), but I'm curious to try them nonetheless after going through NG. Have you played Orochi or Allstars?
I suggest you take a look at the Ninja Gaiden cutscenes on YouTube if you want an answer to your inquiry. That is something I can not answer for you. All I will say is that as someone who cares more about gameplay than narrative in video games, for the most part, I am fine with the narrative presented in Ninja Gaiden.

Yes, the Skyline Tokyo stage in Dead or Alive V: Last Round is from the first stage in Ninja Gaiden II. In Ninja Gaiden II, the Sakura stage is where you play as Momiji for one stage. The reason I do not like Rachel is that she does not fit in with the aesthetic of the series when you are playing as a shinobi. If she was a Special Forces Officer, then I could buy it since modern Special Forces soldiers are essentially shinobi with contemporary artillery. I wish I could have had Rachel's stages be Momiji's instead since she makes more sense.

On top of that, I just do not like her slow and clunky (in my opinion), playstyle. It is extremely jarring when you go from fast and fluid to slow and cumbersome. Then again, your mileage may vary.

When it came to Ninja Gaiden III, originally Yosuke Hayashi the producer thought Westerners wanted a more cinematic emotional experience. Therefore, Team Ninja reduced the gore by removing decapitations, curtailed the difficulty, and expanded the story. Ironically, what I just elaborated on is why the game was heavily criticized. Thus, Ninja Gaiden III: Razor's Edge ameliorated most of these changes.

I am aware that the Musou genre has improved over the years but I do not have any interest in it. The combat for the longest time was incredibly shallow, the narrative did not advance much, and they came out with a new title every year. There is a reason why players make the joke that the Musou genre is the Japanese equivalent of the Madden NFL series in the United States.

I played the first Ninja Gaiden Sigma just a bit already and have finished the first level already. It is so oldschool in the good way. A typical hack and slay of the past with a night art style and quite bloody. The camera and the controls are quite clunky which can be annoying especially in the jumping passages.
My first in depth impressions with Sigma 1 are similar. I'm enjoying it so far keeping in mind what it is and when it was originally made and thats helping with getting into the groove. The cameras are the worst aspect of it, but lets be honest, what game from the original Xbox/PS2 era had good cameras? I'd almost be 'offended' if it wasn't a bit janky :ROFLMAO:

I suggest you take a look at the Ninja Gaiden cutscenes on YouTube if you want an answer to your inquiry. That is something I can not answer for you. All I will say is that as someone who cares more about gameplay than narrative in video games, for the most part, I am fine with the narrative presented in Ninja Gaiden.

Yes, the Skyline Tokyo stage in Dead or Alive V: Last Round is from the first stage in Ninja Gaiden II. In Ninja Gaiden II, the Sakura stage is where you play as Momiji for one stage. The reason I do not like Rachel is that she does not fit in with the aesthetic of the series when you are playing as a shinobi. If she was a Special Forces Officer, then I could buy it since modern Special Forces soldiers are essentially shinobi with contemporary artillery. I wish I could have had Rachel's stages be Momiji's instead since she makes more sense.

On top of that, I just do not like her slow and clunky (in my opinion), playstyle. It is extremely jarring when you go from fast and fluid to slow and cumbersome. Then again, your mileage may vary.

When it came to Ninja Gaiden III, originally Yosuke Hayashi the producer thought Westerners wanted a more cinematic emotional experience. Therefore, Team Ninja reduced the gore by removing decapitations, curtailed the difficulty, and expanded the story. Ironically, what I just elaborated on is why the game was heavily criticized. Thus, Ninja Gaiden III: Razor's Edge ameliorated most of these changes.

I am aware that the Musou genre has improved over the years but I do not have any interest in it. The combat for the longest time was incredibly shallow, the narrative did not advance much, and they came out with a new title every year. There is a reason why players make the joke that the Musou genre is the Japanese equivalent of the Madden NFL series in the United States.
So far I'm finding NG1 to be a throwback to the games I enjoyed when I was a kid/young teenager. They weren't super duper deep but they weren't shallow trash either, in other words I'm enjoying it so far quite a bit within the context of understanding the limitations of my expectations from it, same thing I do with DOA. If I try to have an MK 9/X/11 story mode experience with DOA or a Ghost of Tsushima level story experience with NG I'll be disappointed. But *so far* I'm enjoying it and going forward with the experience. Upon first impression there's enough story to make it interesting, although I always wish they would go deeper with games like this but back in 2004 they really couldn't pull that off. If it came out in the late 2010's or this decade I'd be disappointed, but given its era of original release it's not on the level of Shenmue (what really is?) but it's adequate and enjoyable and that's all I was hoping for out of this trilogy. My expectations were actually fairly low and it's better than I expected.

In the Master Collection preview on the characters last month they showed Momiji fighting in what appeared to be the DOA5 Sakura area, but I wasn't sure. I love that location and look forward to playing her there. Regarding Rachel: I was aware she was from the NG franchise but I didn't really know what her deal was but I assumed from her arrogance and attitude in DOA that she must certainly be a villain, I'm surprised to find out shes a friend of Ryu. From the perspective of having played DOA thoroughly before getting into NG I didn't care for Rachel because she felt like a low budget knock off of Sarah Bryant and Nina Williams visually and even the way she carries herself with her narrative. Sarah and Nina have been around since 93 and 94 respectively and are the original sassy 'blonde bombshells' of the first two 3D fighting game franchises, so to see Rachel pop up in DOA5 I thought she was just another carbon copy character and I didn't understand why we needed another one in DOA cause we already had Helena(who is decent from a story standpoint, she fits in ok) and Tina(who I could do without honestly). Once I learned Rachel was from the NG franchise I was a bit shocked for the very reason you just said, she doesn't look visually like she belongs at all. She looks like she would be in Bayonetta or something closer to that type of game. I would most likely detest her more if she were special forces since I'm not a fan of military characters being portrayed as heroes, but it would be a good character that would fit the narrative better so I agree with you on that. She just looks out of place in NG and feels like an afterthought in DOA. I gave her a try on the NG2 ninja tag team mode briefly and I'm not a fan of her moves in NG. She's actually got better moves in DOA5 but still not that interesting. So even though I haven't gotten that far into the story, I can already agree with you that her place being taken by Momiji(or even Ayane or Kasumi)would have worked better. Her energy doesn't fit in.

I actually tried original NG3 on PS Now last night and I can see already some of the changes. They literally cut the entire opening cutscene out of Razor's Edge from the beginning of vanilla NG3. I was a bit disappointed to see that but I have to admit I liked the reduction of quick time events in RE. I don't like QTE in most cases outside of Shenmue and that's probably only because it was fresh and new back then. When they added that into MKX it took me way out of the story and I found it distracting. For the players who like to play on hard, I can see why they would be disappointed but I don't know why people wouldn't welcome more plot and more cinematic aspects, as long as it doesn't lose it's core gameplay. It sounds like it did though especially by reducing the gore and difficulty level. There isn't much reason a developer can't write a solid story with skippable cutscenes for those who don't want to watch and give us a difficulty option from easy to brutal as well as turning the gore off, light or extreme. Simple stuff that has been done in gaming for the last few decades. I like full packages with options, but it is what it is. Since this trilogy isn't that deep on the story telling and the gameplay itself isn't to die for, though it's fun, I'm sure it won't make a difference which version I complete. As of now, I'm intending to play the Master versions of the titles and possibly will visit Black, 2 and vanilla 3 after if I'm still hungry for more.

:ROFLMAO: I love your comparison of Musou titles to Madden. It's so true sadly. I enjoyed Dynasty Warriors 2 on PS2 back when it came out cause as far as I knew at that time, it was the only game with that style of gameplay that had ever been made as of that time, but when 3 came out it felt totally uninspiring so I didn't get involved in any more of those titles. A few months back I tried a demo of Hyrule Warriors which was even worse for me having Zelda themes to it and a demo trial of Dynasty Warriors 9 to see if anything had changed in the last 20 years. Long story short I spent about 5 minutes with DW9 before moving on. Same exact game on current gen consoles. My expectations of the Orochi games with DOA/NG guest characters is incredibly low, but there was about 10 games on PS Now that I had some mild curiousity in trying so I figured for $10 for one month I'd throw them on the list. I can't say I blame you for not trying them, they all do tend to look the same.

My first in depth impressions with Sigma 1 are similar. I'm enjoying it so far keeping in mind what it is and when it was originally made and thats helping with getting into the groove. The cameras are the worst aspect of it, but lets be honest, what game from the original Xbox/PS2 era had good cameras? I'd almost be 'offended' if it wasn't a bit janky :ROFLMAO:
That is true. The camera is a part of the identy of the ps2/Xbox/Gamecube era of gaming. It does not make the game umplayable by any means but I am bit worried about the more difficult jumping passages already. Due to the camera even the most simple jumping parts can be a bit tricky. Do not want to know how hard it is going to be later. I will find out eventually I guess.

That is true. The camera is a part of the identy of the ps2/Xbox/Gamecube era of gaming. It does not make the game umplayable by any means but I am bit worried about the more difficult jumping passages already. Due to the camera even the most simple jumping parts can be a bit tricky. Do not want to know how hard it is going to be later. I will find out eventually I guess.
Lol nothing like having to redo the same scene over and over due to camera issues, it's a nostalgia that I do not miss on modern games, but it does make me smile when thinking about it. I agree with you though, it's not a deal breaker on most games because NG feels like a game that was put together well *for its time*, it's just weve come so far since then that it feels weird going back to it, at least for me personally since I haven't played any old adventure type games in a long time.

How would you guys rank the games relative to each other, out of curiosity? Replaying S2 in the collection after recompleting S1, and I keep going back and forth on which I prefer.

Ninja Gaiden Master Collection Review:

I've finished playing through the Master Collection and here's some thoughts on the three titles. I played 99% of it on the Xbox One versions on Xbox Series and also played a little bit of the PS3 versions on PS5 via PS Now to see if there was any real differences outside of graphics, which I didn't really find any. It took Tecmo over a week to get the bonus app working properly, but they finally did and it's a nice little addition if you're a fan of the series for the extra $5 USD. To start off I'll say that I had high hopes for this trilogy yet I realistically had low actual expectations given the way Tecmo handles the Dead or Alive franchise. I enjoy DOA, mostly 5 and 6, but it's full of wasted potential, and that is the theme with Ninja Gaiden as a whole as well. I will be fair in reviewing them to the simple fact that these titles are all from console gens that weren't capable of delivering amazing games like the ones can in the current era, so no points will be deducted for anything revolving around issues connected to the jankyness of older consoles such as controls, graphics, poor cinematic delivery, etc. They will be rated as if I was playing them during the year of their original release. I will break them down between story mode, bonus modes and overall delivery.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 1/Black: Overall Rating 5/10 Average

Boring. Boring. Boring. I honestly don't see how this particular game gets the high praise of the trilogy, it's by far my least favorite. The first two chapters are very nice and rather enjoyable when in Hayabusa Village, but starting with the blimp in chapter 3 the game goes completely downhill. The underground levels and European city levels are bland and uninspired looking, very boring. I felt like I was playing Kill.Switch from the PS2 at times when it came to level design(I actually liked Kill.Switch better than NG1). Rachel is awful in this game and completely unplayable and is out of place within the story. Hayabusa has no charisma in the first title and lacks personality, even for a game of it's time. The bosses aren't interesting. The puzzles are by far the worst part of this game along with the level design. I hated fighting the guys on the horses and motorcycles which was almost as painful as the puzzle solving. The bonus Ninja Trials are also boring. This is the only NG title I didn't finish story mode for because it was painful to go any further, I played about 80% of the title and then youtubed the story highlights and checked to see if there were any other interesting levels coming up but it was more of the same from the previous chapters. The story itself was nothing special and didn't offer anything interesting overall. I enjoyed the graphics on this version for a game of its age and Hayabusa Village was beautiful in some ways. The controls in this game were fairly decent for their time too, even though it's mostly just a button masher with no real skill involved in most battles, it still felt responsive but boring at the same time. If I had played this through in 2004 there's no way I would have checked out a sequel. I feel the game was well intended but still failed to excite in comparison to other level driven brawlers/fighting action games of the Xbox/PS2 era such as Tenchu, BloodRayne or even lesser games like Death by Degrees. While it would have helped to add the girls from the other games, it wouldn't be enough to save this entry from being the weak point of the franchise. It's not a bad game, but its not fun either. Story mode 5/10. Bonus modes 4/10.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2: Overall Rating 7.5/10 Really Good

Overall Sigma 2 is the strongest entry in the series with its only point weaker than 1 or 3 is the lack of over the top blood. Gore isn't a deal breaker for me, but it would have been nice to have the same gore level from the other two entries. The level design during story mode was mostly very nice, specifically Hayabusa Village and Sky City Tokyo. I enjoyed all of the levels to some degree or another including the ones I didn't expect to like. The levels in Europe felt detailed and like an actual experience of Europe unlike the bland ones of the first title. The levels inside Mt Fuji weren't really my cup of tea personally, but they were still very creative and enjoyable and I have no complaints overall about this game. I enjoyed battling the Buddha-like statue boss, the Statue of Liberty in NYC and other interesting boss characters along the way. While I still did not enjoy Rachel being in the game, she was more tolerable during her chapter than in Sigma 1 and was less centralized to the plot, which was a plus as the less Rachel we have, the better. The addition of Momiji and Ayane was the highlight for me as they both have more charisma and personality than Hayabusa who still in this title remains mostly uninteresting as a lead character, but he does show a little bit more personality in this game than the previous title. I wish we could play a story revolving around Momiji, Ayane(and Kasumi)with the Ninja Gaiden formula and give Hayabusa a break or a lesser role as his story is completed at this point. This games story mode was a lot of fun and was well rounded, they did away with bad level design and the bad combat scenarios like the motorcycles and horseback enemies. The story itself unfolded fairly well for a game from the Xbox 360 generation, I could ask for more cinematics technically, but given it's original release year and the limitations of the console it released on I'm happy with what I got considering. The plot itself wasn't over the top amazing, but it was sufficient and made me actually care about Hayabusa, Momiji and Ayane(sorry Rachel)in a way I didn't care about anyone in Sigma 1. The bonus modes are cool with the two highlights being the ability to play Ayane and Momiji and Tag Team mode which is by far the coolest thing in the entire trilogy. Two of the levels from Sigma 2 that were brought to DOA 5 are beautiful and by far my favorite in that franchise. Story Mode & Bonus Modes: 7.5/10.

Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge: Overall Rating 6.5 Above Average

NG3 is the hardest one in the franchise for me to rate because there's a few things that are very nice and the best in the franchise while there are equally as many that suck more than the first title. Getting the negatives out of the way first: I was going to give this a slightly lower review but after playing the bonus modes it redeemed itself a bit. Story mode was not fun, it was actual difficult to enjoy and get through. It wasn't hard from a challenge standpoint as I didn't even die one time, but it was just not fun to play. The levels were still more detailed than Sigma 1, but they were not fun at all, with an exception to Hayabusa Village yet again, I did not truly enjoy or feel immersed into any of the levels outside of that. There were a few that were just ok like London, Abysmo Island, Maritime Facility and Tokyo but none really stood out within the story. The absolute worst part of NG3 hands down is the gameplay itself...its BRUTALLY BROKEN! And by that I'm not saying its hard, I'm saying its absurd. Hitting a basic foot soldier or ninja enemy with the sword 25 times to kill him does not make for an enjoyable experience. Sigma 2 was perfect as you could hit a guy less than 10 times and kill them. I'd prefer if they gave me 3X the enemies in a wave at once with less hits per enemy to kill them. There's nothing psychologically satisfying about hitting an average enemy in a brawler type game that many times, its a huge turn off. The bosses were also requiring way too many hits to defeat. Another thing is the fucking QTE trash, that killed a lot of momentum in combat and in cutscenes for me, this game could have done without QTE completely. I'm not a QTE fan in general outside of Shenmue, but NG should not have incorporated this 'feature' at all. The first two games worked fine without it, if it isn't broke don't mess with it. Combining the mostly below average level design with the awful health meters of the enemies in combat ruined story mode and the only reason I pushed my way through it is what leads to the positive part of my feelings towards NG3: unlocking Kasumi, Ayane and Momiji as well as completing the story itself. NG3 has gotten bad reviews for its story but I feel it's fairly decent and the cinematics are good for their time given the lack of depth the franchise has to begin with. Sure, NG could be rebooted as this amazing over the top cinematic masterpiece, but the first two were nothing like that so I didn't expect the third game to have any real cinematics or story worth getting invested in, yet I found myself feeling pulled in during the scenes involving Hayabusa, Mizuki and the little girl. It's a shame they went the way they did towards the end because they had a chance to give Hayabusa life some meaning regarding his relationship to the woman and child so I didn't like that they chose the lone wolf path, but given the developers reputation for wasted potential in its story telling, they decided to play it safe and not push for anything more than just telling another lone wolf anti-hero story. I didn't hate it either way, I rather enjoyed it but it could have turned out better. Before arriving at the conclusion of the story I did enjoy how Hayabusa came to life, took his mask off at times and actually showed that he has a personality and some charisma, that he actually cares about something. It's the first time I really enjoyed playing as him, regardless of the gameplay itself being broken. The story was nice and had a nice conclusion, although I doubt it's something I'll remember every detail of a week from now. The story, cinematics and cutscenes are much better than the critics attempt to make it sound and the game is mostly broken on a gameplay level, but whats to be expected from a button masher that has no real precision in the moves and combat? The highlight of this game is the Ninja Trails and most of all, Kasumi. Kasumi is fast, powerful and her movements are more fluid than Hayabusa or any other character in the games. She's hands down the most fun and best to use out of any of the characters in the entire trilogy, and this is not because I'm biased towards the character, she just feels tight, fluid and on point. Momiji, Ayane and Hayabusa also feel really good in this games trials as well. The trials add many of the great levels from Sigma 2 and even some of the levels from Sigma 1 which adds variety to the mixture. The most important part? The base line average enemies don't take 25 hits to die in the trials mode, they take an adequate amount of damage more in line with the first two games. This is what redeemed this game and caused me to bump it up a few points. A decent cinematic story and being able to play as Kasumi, Ayane and Momiji wasn't enough for me to give this game a good rating with all its negatives in story mode gameplay and the levels, but adding the great levels from Sigma 2 and making the gameplay feel the complete opposite from story mode and more on point in the ninja trials combined with the older levels and the addition of the best character in the game Kasumi along with the other two female ninjas give it a boost. I wish this one had Tag Team mode as well, but while its missed, its not really needed. Another positive: NO RACHEL!! I love that they removed Rachel from this, she's way out of place in the franchise and is better off sticking to DOA. Story Mode 6/10. Bonus Modes 7/10.

Ninja Gaiden Trilogy Master Collection Overall Rating: 7/10 Good

If you've never played this trilogy it's a good value for $40, or $45 with the bonus content if that's important to you. If you've already played the original versions it doesn't seem like theres any reason to play these games again as they're worth one play through only. I have no regrets making this purchase although I'll never play any of the games story modes through again. I do think I will have a few more rounds of enjoyment in the Sigma 2 and NG3 Razors Edge Ninja Trials modes before removing this franchise from my Xbox and moving on to something else. I look forward to the potential of a Ninja Gaiden 4 in the future, especially if they focus on Kasumi, Ayane and Momiji like the director said he wants to for the next game, but even if they bring back Hayabusa thats ok too. Going forward the franchise needs major work to make it feel exciting and fresh andI feel we can get that out of Tecmo if they really want to take some risks and tap into the potential of the Xbox Series/PS5 console power. If they play it safe though I wouldn't expect much more than what this trilogy has provided. A reboot over a sequel is preferred and one can hope they will tap into the power of story telling with good action on these new consoles.

It's as I told you if you were expecting some masterpiece of a narrative then you were going to be disappointed. While I think your opinions are fair, I strongly disagree with you about Ninja Gaiden Black/Sigma being a "button masher." On the contrary, the combat system in the game has plenty of depth to it. While it is true that you could button-mash your way through the game, you will miss out on the deeper combat mechanisms. This is equivalent to me saying that because you can button-mash your way through the first two Shenmue games the combat system is a shallow button-masher.

Like I stated in a previous post, I enjoy the game because of its stylish combo-heavy combat and I enjoy playing as a shinobi. Then again, I am more of a gameplay person myself, and narrative is secondary in my mind. A well-told narrative can be found in any media but what distinguishes video games is their interactivity. This is why games like Virtua Fighter or Devil May Cry's shallow narrative does not bother me as it made up for its most crucial element the gameplay. If all I cared about was narrative, I would read a book.

I apologize if my post comes off as antagonistic as that is not my intention. As stated above, I think your opinions are fair, but it looks like we will just have to agree to disagree since you are more of a narrative-driven person.

It's as I told you if you were expecting some masterpiece of a narrative then you were going to be disappointed. While I think your opinions are fair, I strongly disagree with you about Ninja Gaiden Black/Sigma being a "button masher." On the contrary, the combat system in the game has plenty of depth to it. While it is true that you could button-mash your way through the game, you will miss out on the deeper combat mechanisms. This is equivalent to me saying that because you can button-mash your way through the first two Shenmue games the combat system is a shallow button-masher.

Like I stated in a previous post, I enjoy the game because of its stylish combo-heavy combat and I enjoy playing as a shinobi. Then again, I am more of a gameplay person myself, and narrative is secondary in my mind. A well-told narrative can be found in any media but what distinguishes video games is their interactivity. This is why games like Virtua Fighter or Devil May Cry's shallow narrative does not bother me as it made up for its most crucial element the gameplay. If all I cared about was narrative, I would read a book.

I apologize if my post comes off as antagonistic as that is not my intention. As stated above, I think your opinions are fair, but it looks like we will just have to agree to disagree since you are more of a narrative-driven person.
No worries on the difference of opinion, I appreciate that you're always as direct and bold with your opinions as I am with mine and at the same time respectful in your response while willing to agree to disagree and also that you don't attempt to condemn me for my feelings on a game or police my opinions, even when disagreeing with them. I wish more people were direct like you and I appreciate that you don't have to open your statements with "in my opinion" as if to worry about offending anyone who may be looking to be offended. I can see your point of view on liking Sigma 1 as I didn't hate it, I just thought it was bland especially compared to the sequels, but I must ask with you enjoying the gameplay mechanics first and foremost as well as playing as the character, is there a reason you prefer Sigma 1 over 2 or 3? I ask because they don't seem to vary at all in gameplay between 1 and 2, and as for 3 its ninja trial missions play nicely. Is there something about the aesthetic of the first game or another reason you prefer it over the sequels?

The lack of narrative in Sigma 1 is ok with me given it's age. While the story mode gameplay was better than NG3, I didn't like the bland level design and puzzle aspects. Virtua Fighter has great fighting mechanics and isn't bland feeling overall even if its lacking in the story telling department so I feel it gives that franchise solid legs to stand on, but I didn't feel that with Sigma 1. The story in Sigma 2 and even more so in NG3 made up for any lack of story in the first game, and while the gameplay of Sigma 1 was at times enjoyable, the levels and enemies really weren't. That's why I found Sigma 2 to be the best, it had the same gameplay mechanics from the first game but with more unique levels and enemies. If Razors Edge would have toned down the amount of hits it took to kill an enemy I'd have given it a higher rating too.

Back