I guess the Alex Kidd remake is out

it's getting pretty mediocre reviews, but I think that's b/c folks don't have any nostalgia for the original game. looks pretty faithful. I fortunately bought myself a master system when I was a young 20 and sort of learned to like some of these old games that I did not grow up with. I was an NES/SNES kid like most Americans.

Well, I tried the demo, and I have to say it feels pretty good and the swap to original grafx/audio is p quick. For some reason when in modern grafx mode it ran at 50fps for me tho??? Like I know my computer is a bit shit, but I don't think it's THAT shit. Also just in general, it's hard for me to get too excited for remakes like this when none of the original staff or even Sega of Japan themselves is involved in the development. I felt this way with the Panzer Dragoon remake and SoR4 as well, but I choked it down and bought anyways because I have a pretty intense love for both series. SoR4 was very good, I admit, but I am seriously not buying SoR5 if it has that same artstyle again. I really can't stand it.

I have a physical version ordered but it's not due till Friday. Like many the Master System was my first 'proper' console with AK built in so I have a lot of fond memories of the game. Never did beat it though. Got to the final room where you have to jump on blocks in a particular order but the grim reaper always got me. I'll be looking to put that right in this remake :D
Also just in general, it's hard for me to get too excited for remakes like this when none of the original staff or even Sega of Japan themselves is involved in the development. I felt this way with the Panzer Dragoon remake and SoR4 as well, but I choked it down and bought anyways because I have a pretty intense love for both series. SoR4 was very good, I admit, but I am seriously not buying SoR5 if it has that same artstyle again. I really can't stand it.
I used to feel very much the same, but if the alternative is nothing and seeing as Sega haven't shown interest in some of these franchises for getting on 3 decades, i'll definitely take the outsourced stuff. I've not played Panzer, but I thought Streets of Rage 4 was superb, really warmed to the artstyle too, I think it looks a lot better in motion with the way the lighting plays off the characters as they move through the stages, gave it a real rich look. Alex Kidd looks terrific and Sonic Mania was outstanding. Naturally Shenmue III exceeded my expectations too being a kickstarter game.

That said, it looks like RGG is on a mission lately reviving Virtua Fighter and Monkey Ball so who knows what they will tackle next :D

Yep, you buy these games in the hopes that Sega sees there's still interest in the IP. I don't think this one's going to build much enthusiasm for an Alex Kidd revival, but at least it's renewed the character. At least Sega is interested in giving their more obscure IPs a chance, even if it's through licensing. Better than some of their former competitors (Nintendo).

Sonic Mania is the holy grail, though. I can't believe they didn't sign that team up for six more games. Masterpiece, IMO. I never enjoyed a Sonic game as much as I enjoyed Sonic Mania, not even when I was a kid. I was obsessed with that game for at least a month.

zOBU4ES.jpg

I still have a backlog of games to play, but I'll purchase the remake eventually.

I remember playing the original on my Master System. I never managed to complete it properly, haha.

lol I didn't see the tag for some reason... but yeah, it's out, have no interest lol.

I've seen plenty of vids, pics, streams (well, not too many streams lol) and it looks great, a well-made spiritual successor.

65 on Metacritic and 9/10 consensus on Steam, so the reception is good. I'm glad people are enjoying it and that it is being well-received; the series deserves it.

But yeah, as I've ..never beaten MW... (but I'm trying!) I'm not interested in this game and probably won't be; it may be the super-stubborn, curmudgeonly-gamer in me, but outside of 'mue and RGG, I only want to play Sega games on Sega consoles. I suck, I know lol. (or, a series like Valkyria Chronicles, which are *only* on post-Sega consoles).

it may be the super-stubborn, curmudgeonly-gamer in me, but outside of 'mue and RGG, I only want to play Sega games on Sega consoles. I suck, I know lol. (or, a series like Valkyria Chronicles, which are *only* on post-Sega consoles).
So it's not just me, huh? Particularly with Dreamcast stuff. I had a DC back in the day and it was the first console I ever loved (rather than just loving some 3rd party games on the console like with the SNES, N64, and GB I had prior), but it wasn't until 2010 or so that I became an insufferable fanboy. It's been about a decade of slow, painful recovery ever since. I keep thinking about replaying Shinobi PS2 after exhausting my time with the Ninja Gaiden collection, but even now I still get butthurt thinking about the fact it wasn't on Dreamcast. That was our game!!
Gun Valkyrie, too.

I think it's a combination of (self-chosen) loyalty, backlog size and just time/life circumstances. I mean, if RGG studios came out with another game ala Binary Domain, I'd be all over that, but I just can't devote as much time as I used to... it's a touch sad :(

I'm inclined to buy it to show Sega I support this kind of thing. I have yet to touch the Panzer Dragoon remake, but bought it instantly. This game's really cheap, too. Most of my back catalog is filled with impulse purchases and very few planned purchases. I also barely play games because my life is too difficult. Why'd they start making every game 500 hours long?

I always hated the stupid JANKEN bosses.

Back