Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

The Shenmue series is in a better place now than it was before 2015. We got Shenmue III, SEGA released new and official Shenmue products like T-shirts, and we will get a anime. The 18 years of wait will not happen again in my opinion.

if Yu Suzuki can't make more Shenmue games i really think he will let the fans know about that at some point this time, and if this happen maybe he will finish Shenmue with the anime, but i really hope that he will have the chance to make the reamining games and finish the story.

I really have a feeling that YSNET is working in Shenmue IV and that we will get a announcement this year.

Sony's big event is supposed to be just before Gamescom(I think that's the rumor now).

Lots of focus on sequels these days. We shall see if we get Shenmue IV at Gamescom. I personally feel it's a bit early to be seeing it, but you never know.

Even just a title and confirmation that it exists and is definitively coming would be enough for us.

In one interview Yu Suzuki said Shenmue III got us to 40% of the story, only 40%, we didn't even reached the half of the story yet, the only reason i can see Yu deciding to end in IV will be if he feels that he will never have more opportunities to make more Shenmue games.

If Shenmue end in IV it will not be a 100% good ending for me, because Shenmue to me is a slow journey, i think Yu Suzuki will have a hard quest in his hands. Yu Suzuki will probably need to make a lot of compromises, Ryo will have to travel fast between the places and much more.

I remember about what Sergeynest said in other thread, Sergeynest said this..

I think that a really interesting way to do this would be to pick up on the idea of having Ryo, Ren and Shenhua travel by train to all the important locations that are still left to visit in the story and have some deep conversations between them, like about the story their relationship and planning what to do next or where to go during their Journey between these locations and at the same time having the Chiyoumen trying to stop them.

This could make the story move forward but at the same time still retain that slow paced feeling of the previous titles.
I think that the big drawback would be how Ryo's martial arts progression would feel, at least to the point that he could manage to beat Lan Di if that was ever in the original story.
This would have to be really well done otherwise it will feel underwelming

Project Berkley.png

I agree with Sergeynest. Ryo, Shenhua and Ren travelling by train to all the important locations that are still left to visit is one way to do it and it could work, i even remember now about the train chapter that Yu Suzuki talked about, we can even see a scene about this in Project Berkley.

Yu Suzuki will probably even have to make a timeskip if he decides to end in IV, all of this will have to be really well done.

It is a hard quest in my opinion, a hard quest to take a story that is only at 40% and make that story come to an end in just one more game in a satisfying and good way, answering all the questions about the story and much more. It is not impossible to do it but i think in V we will have a much satisfying and good ending.

Shenmue IV: 40% - 70% of the story
Shenmue V: 70% - 100% ending of the story. I imagine this way.

For example i think Meng Cun will be a important location for the story, if Shenmue ends in IV we will probably see Meng Cun in a fast way, i don't think it will be nice to rush the story this way, because as i said Shenmue to me is a slow journey where we see Ryo developing little by little as a martial artist and as a character, it is one of the reasons why i love Shenmue.

But the big question is... what Yu Suzuki really want to do now about Shenmue? only time will tell, i just hope that he can end Shenmue in a way that will be good and satisfying for him, is his story and in my opinion he deserves to end in a way he really wants, in a way that he feels it is the right time to end.

Maybe will be in IV, maybe will be V or in another way, i don't know but this is how i feel about this, all i know is that i will support Yu Suzuki in this journey to complete Shenmue. 😊

Last edited:
That's how I see it. And it makes me that much more confident the end isn't here yet.

Last edited:
There would be a lot to cover if Shenmue 4 ended the story.

-The cliff temple/the mountains where people disappear
-Meng Cun
-Luoyang
-Shenhua's 'powers'
-Xiuying's brother
-The power struggle between Niao Sun and Lan Di
-Ryo and Lan Di's feud
-Ryo's bigger goal after defeating Lan Di (stopping Tentei/the Resurrection of the chiyou?)

I think all of this would take at least another 2 games to get through.

As I've said before, Shenmue has a serious following and the Dojo is not indicative of it's total appeal.

We know that they've said Shenmue is a "core niche product", which tells me they don't intend on leaving the series out to dry.

The series is still fresh in people's minds(from both the HD versions and III), so I don't hold to the idea that they'll hold very long on confirming the series' continuance.

Kingdom Come had it's sequel confirmed relatively quickly.

Is it too early? Probably so, at least in terms of seeing anything(especially due to Covid). But a confirmation of it happening I could see as a possibility.

Sony could've procured another marketing and exclusivity deal. Maybe their big event will have FF7R Episode II and Shenmue IV for a repeat.

There would be a lot to cover if Shenmue 4 ended the story.

-The cliff temple/the mountains where people disappear
-Meng Cun
-Luoyang
-Shenhua's 'powers'
-Xiuying's brother
-The power struggle between Niao Sun and Lan Di
-Ryo and Lan Di's feud
-Ryo's bigger goal after defeating Lan Di (stopping Tentei/the Resurrection of the chiyou?)

I think all of this would take at least another 2 games to get through.
Ziming could be a very useful character for Yu Suzuki because he's an unknown, and he could be used as a triple agent to guide Ryo to where he needs to be in the story, (similiar to Ren's role in Kowloon as a guide) Tentei I imagine could be combined with Yuanda Zhu, as a Palpatine type, Zhu is his mask in public, and there's something really chilling that the CYM leader sent the letter late on purpose to draw Ryo out, right from the beginning.

In my opinion Ziming will be really important in Shenmue IV, i think we will see a lot of scenes with him. We saw him in Shenmue II and in the manga Side Stories, the side stories was really short but interesting.

For me Ziming is a interesting character and we can relate him with Ryo, Ziming wanted revenge just like Ryo wants, maybe one of the reasons Ziming is in the story is for Ryo to see what can happen to him if he continue in the revenge path.

"I will not forgive them! I'm going to find those who killed Dad and Mom! The Chiyoumen know. I'll take my revenge even if I have to sell my soul."―Ziming

Probably he is in the dark side now, and the character that will defeat him will probably be Xiuying, why i say that? because in the side story Ziming said... "Make yourself strong, Xiuying! stronger than me."

I really have a feeling that Xiuying will return in the story and that this part will be one of the most emotional and good parts of the Shenmue Story

I know is not VFRPG anymore, i know some things changed but i really think Xiuying will return like we can see in this chapter card, in this card we can clearly see Xiuying near Shenhua. if Xiuying return it will be epic and beautiful, like i said before Shenmue IV have the potential to be a intense game, The Chi You Men Arc 😊

Chapter11.jpg

Last edited:
In my opinion Ziming will be really important in Shenmue IV, i think we will see a lot of scenes with him. We saw him in Shenmue II and in the manga Side Stories, the side stories was really short but interesting.

For me Ziming is a interesting character and we can relate him with Ryo, Ziming wanted revenge just like Ryo wants, maybe one of the reasons Ziming is in the story is for Ryo to see what can happen to him if he continue in the revenge path.

"I will not forgive them! I'm going to find those who killed Dad and Mom! The Chiyoumen know. I'll take my revenge even if I have to sell my soul."―Ziming

Probably he is in the dark side now, and the character that will defeat him will probably be Xiuying, why i say that? because in the side story Ziming said... "Make yourself strong, Xiuying! stronger than me."

I really have a feeling that Xiuying will return in the story and that this part will be one of the most emotional and good parts of the Shenmue Story

I know is not VFRPG anymore, i know some things changed but i really think Xiuying will return like we can see in this chapter card, in this card we can clearly see Xiuying near Shenhua. if Xiuying return it will be epic and beautiful, like i said before Shenmue IV have the potential to be a intense game, The Chi You Men Arc 😊

View attachment 12337
It is definitely almost certain that Ziming will appear in Shenmue 4.
Shenmue Dojo member CrazyBob589 found him in a close up of Concept Art Chapter of the Cliff Temple.
Ziming in Shenmue IV? Almost the same hairstyle and scar on the face.
shendoc-2c.jpg

XiuyingBrotherc.png

zimings4.png

zimings2.png

I would definitely love to see Xiuying return to the series; I can imagine a fight between Ryo and Ziming with Ryo losing that fight and him realizing that his Adversary is Xiuying's lost brother Ziming because he sees the Yin or Yang stone in his necklace and while lying on the floor all beaten up Ryo shows him the small stone with the Yin or Yang symbol that Xiuying gave him.
Realizing this Ziming spares Ryo's life and then later on he reencounters with his sister Xiuying; realizing the grand scheme of things Ziming decides to help Ryo; providing him with useful information about the Chiyoumen.
In secret both Xiuying and Ziming train Ryo; taking is martial arts skills to a whole new level; but will it be enough to finally defeat Lan Di !?
Don't miss out these amazing events in the upcoming Shenmue 4.;)

I believe it was said around 2016 (when Baisha was still going to be used) that Shenmue 3 would culminate in a confrontation with all four Chi You Men bosses.

Seeing concept art like that ^ plus those old statements, I think Shenmue 4 is going to be one giant battle. Then if they answer the Ziming Hong and Cliff Temple/Mirror mysteries while they're at it...that's going to make for one intense installment.

It is definitely almost certain that Ziming will appear in Shenmue 4.
Shenmue Dojo member CrazyBob589 found him in a close up of Concept Art Chapter of the Cliff Temple.
Ziming in Shenmue IV? Almost the same hairstyle and scar on the face.
shendoc-2c.jpg

XiuyingBrotherc.png

zimings4.png

zimings2.png

I would definitely love to see Xiuying return to the series; I can imagine a fight between Ryo and Ziming with Ryo losing that fight and him realizing that his Adversary is Xiuying's lost brother Ziming because he sees the Yin or Yang stone in his necklace and while lying on the floor all beaten up Ryo shows him the small stone with the Yin or Yang symbol that Xiuying gave him.
Realizing this Ziming spares Ryo's life and then later on he reencounters with his sister Xiuying; realizing the grand scheme of things Ziming decides to help Ryo; providing him with useful information about the Chiyoumen.
In secret both Xiuying and Ziming train Ryo; taking is martial arts skills to a whole new level; but will it be enough to finally defeat Lan Di !?
Don't miss out these amazing events in the upcoming Shenmue 4.;)

It can go this way aswell. The thing is that Ziming is probably in the dark side now, he will die in the end? it is too late for him and Xiuying will defeat him or he never lost his good heart and will help Ryo?

It will be really interesting to see Ryo losing to Ziming, it can happen in the way you wrote or maybe Ziming can say... "You fool, you really think with this power you can defeat Lan Di? you are weak, come to the dark side, only here you will have true power to achieve your revenge, just like i did."

And maybe with this Ryo will be tempting to do this, i think it will be interesting to see at least once Ryo questioning himself about this and doing something different, and after this Shenhua will help him and remember him that he have a good heart and that this is not the way to do this.

He does not know of the strength hidden within him.
The strength that would destroy him.
The strength that would fulfill his wishes. ―Shenhua

Remember what Xiuying said to Ryo in Shenmue II

"You still don't understand. Martial arts are used to protect people's lives. If you use your fists otherwise, you will walk on the path of evil, too!" I don't know how but probably one day Ryo will understand Xiuying's words and Iwao's last words, i think it will be awesome when this happen, it will be a character development for sure.

But i like the way you wrote aswell, if this happen will be really nice. We don't know much about Ziming so only time will tell the answers to our question, Ziming and Xiuying story need to have closure in my opinion, it is one of the important things in the story, i hope we can see this in Shenmue IV.

IwaoSunmingZhao.png

I really think that maybe Ryo will win a fight against Lan Di but he will decide not to kill Lan Di, he will forget about revenge and be in peace with this, and like Sergeynest said one day... "Maybe Ryo will take off the Band Aid when his thoughts of revenge towards Lan Di will fade away revealing that his wound is fully healed."

One of the reasons i say this is because Iwao and Sunming Zhao were friends, so i think at some point Ryo and Lan Di will find out the true about what happened and that they will understand each other, it is possible.

Everytime i see the photo of Iwao with Sunming Zhao i think that this will happen. Because to me Shenmue is about friendship, love, Ryo learning and trying to find a path in his life and much more, the main thing will not be Ryo killing Lan Di, the main thing for me will be Ryo destroying the Chi You Men, maybe Lan Di will help or maybe not, it will depend on what will happen in Shenmue IV.

i just feel that this will happen, maybe i'm wrong about this, i don't know, only time will tell.

Last edited:
It can go this way aswell. The thing is that Ziming is probably in the dark side now, he will die in the end? it is too late for him and Xiuying will defeat him or he never lost his good heart and will help Ryo?

It will be really interesting to see Ryo losing to Ziming, it can happen in the way you wrote or maybe Ziming can say... "You fool, you really think with this power you can defeat Lan Di? you are weak, come to the dark side, only here you will have true power to achieve your revenge, just like i did."

And maybe with this Ryo will be tempting to do this, i think it will be interesting to see at least once Ryo questioning himself about this and doing something different, and after this Shenhua will help him and remember him that he have a good heart and that this is not the way to do this.

He does not know of the strength hidden within him.
The strength that would destroy him.
The strength that would fulfill his wishes. ―Shenhua

Remember what Xiuying said to Ryo in Shenmue II

"You still don't understand. Martial arts are used to protect people's lives. If you use your fists otherwise, you will walk on the path of evil, too!" I don't know how but probably one day Ryo will understand Xiuying's words and Iwao's last words, i think it will be awesome when this happen, it will be a character development for sure.

But i like the way you wrote aswell, if this happen will be really nice. We don't know much about Ziming so only time will tell the answers to our question, Ziming and Xiuying story need to have closure in my opinion, it is one of the important things in the story, i hope we can see this in Shenmue IV.

I really think that maybe Ryo will win a fight against Lan Di but he will decide not to kill Lan Di, he will forget about revenge and be in peace with this, and like Sergeynest said one day... "Maybe Ryo will take off the Band Aid when his thoughts of revenge towards Lan Di will fade away revealing that his wound is fully healed."

One of the reasons i say this is because Iwao and Sunming Zhao were friends, so i think at some point Ryo and Lan Di will find out the true about what happened and that they will understand each other, it is possible.

Everytime i see the photo of Iwao with Sunming Zhao i think that this will happen. Because to me Shenmue is about friendship, love, Ryo learning and trying to find a path in his life and much more, the main thing will not be Ryo killing Lan Di, the main thing for me will be Ryo destroying the Chi You Men, maybe Lan Di will help or maybe not, it will depend on what will happen in Shenmue IV.

i just feel that this will happen, maybe i'm wrong about this, i don't know, only time will tell.
I think Ryo will remember Iwao's words 'center of balance' that referred to the elbow assault, but could have a different meaning. I guess Ryo will beat Lan Di when he no longer cares about revenge and Lan Di loses his cool, in some misguided quest to honour his father.

how's unreal going spags?
Bounced off it for the moment unfortunately. I'll get back on the horse at some point in the future when I find the free time to sit through some courses more attentively.

Here's some of the stuff I was working on though:
Building hand and finger widgets on the control rig

Basic attempt at an idle animation created inside UE4 using the control rig

Simple locomotion just to get myself familiar with animation blueprints, and a little test environment I planned to use for showing the IK implementation I never did

My botched implementation of an attack combo (not totally clear on the principle of handling animations and smooth transitions, which is why it looks so janky)

Was also testing out the new Full Body IK solver in UE5 with control rig and made this absolute nightmare
desktopscreenshot20217ckqu.png

Bounced off it for the moment unfortunately. I'll get back on the horse at some point in the future when I find the free time to sit through some courses more attentively.

Here's some of the stuff I was working on though:
Building hand and finger widgets on the control rig

Basic attempt at an idle animation created inside UE4 using the control rig

Simple locomotion just to get myself familiar with animation blueprints, and a little test environment I planned to use for showing the IK implementation I never did

My botched implementation of an attack combo (not totally clear on the principle of handling animations and smooth transitions, which is why it looks so janky)

Was also testing out the new Full Body IK solver in UE5 with control rig and made this absolute nightmare
desktopscreenshot20217ckqu.png

Those attack animations look super smooth. I think they look more fluid than S3. You can feel the force behind them and the slight movements in the leg as its extended. Great work man

Those attack animations look super smooth. I think they look more fluid than S3. You can feel the force behind them and the slight movements in the leg as its extended. Great work man
Ah - the attack animations aren't mine I should add. They're free ones I got online and did skeleton retargeting to Ryo's model with, haha.

Back