Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Yeah, definitely not worth doing "instead of" IV, but if there were some easier quality of life improvements they could make, back-port improved combat from IV into III, maybe fix up some translation errors, that'd be sweet, but extremely unlikely.

Aris playing through Shenmue 1 again. Big streamer who likes Shenmue. He's a little NSFW so if you have kids around maybe find something else lol.

twitch.tv/avoidingthepuddle

Aris playing through Shenmue 1 again. Big streamer who likes Shenmue. He's a little NSFW so if you have kids around maybe find something else lol.

twitch.tv/avoidingthepuddle
Abd you can find these streams and any Shenmue streams using our live streams side-bar.

They pop up automatically if anyone is playing Shenmue live on Twitch :)

So I was storing some things today and saw Shenmue 3 art book and decided to leaf through it.

I was re-reading Niao Sun profile and it states “The most ruthless and merciless of the Chi You Men leaders. Emotional and unpredictable, she twists the story in unforeseen directions”.

First I wanted to clarify with @Switch or any other Japanese speakers if the translation is accurate?

Second I was thinking about the story implications of this line. A leader more ruthless than Lan Di or any others? In the initial Shenmue 3 game plan document it sounded like Ryo would have boss encounter with her and other leaders. The way things transpired in the actual game it’s setting up clearly a civil war within the Chi You Men, what would happen if Niao Sun turned into primary antagonist for next game?

Last edited:
I was re-reading Niao Sun profile and it states “The most ruthless and merciless of the Chi You Men leaders. Emotional and unpredictable, she twists the story in unforeseen directions”.

First I wanted to clarify with @Switch or any other Japanese speakers if the translation is accurate?
Yes, the meaning does match (the Japanese has "four Chi You Men heavenly leaders"). It generally seems to fit with the description from the brown art book that was sold back at the very first Shenmue premiere, which had: "She takes pleasure in cruelty and eliminates people like bugs".

So I was storing some things today and saw Shenmue 3 art book and decided to leaf through it.

Second I was thinking about the story implications of this line. A leader more ruthless than Lan Di or any others? In the initial Shenmue 3 game plan document it sounded like Ryo would have boss encounter with her and other leaders. The way things transpired in the actual game it’s setting up clearly a civil war within the Chi You Men, what would happen if Niao Sun turned into primary antagonist for next game?
I think it depends on if IV is the final game or not. If it is, then I guess Sun will be the main villain in the first act, then she's destroyed by the calamity of the treasure, and Ryo learns the very same force corrupted Sumning.

what would happen if Niao Sun turned into primary antagonist for next game?
I wouldn’t mind if she spends a bit of time in the hot seat, but if the series ends with four and Niao Sun ends up being the final big bad I’d be bitterly disappointed. I do wonder whether Yu kind of forget that the character still hasn’t been officially introduced in the games, what with her existence having been known by the fan base for almost two decades at the time of S3’s release. The big reveal was literally “This woman you barely know is actually this woman you have never seen and know nothing whatsoever about,” which suggests to me that we were supposed to be like “Oh sh*t, it’s Niao Sun.”

Back on topic, Niao Sun being the primary antagonist would likely mean scrapping Tentei, which in turn means compromising Yu’s vision. Budget and the like may force his hand in that respect, but if that is to be the case, it would make a lot more sense for Lan Di to fill the void.

I wouldn’t mind if she spends a bit of time in the hot seat, but if the series ends with four and Niao Sun ends up being the final big bad I’d be bitterly disappointed. I do wonder whether Yu kind of forget that the character still hasn’t been officially introduced in the games, what with her existence having been known by the fan base for almost two decades at the time of S3’s release. The big reveal was literally “This woman you barely know is actually this woman you have never seen and know nothing whatsoever about,” which suggests to me that we were supposed to be like “Oh sh*t, it’s Niao Sun.”

Back on topic, Niao Sun being the primary antagonist would likely mean scrapping Tentei, which in turn means compromising Yu’s vision. Budget and the like may force his hand in that respect, but if that is to be the case, it would make a lot more sense for Lan Di to fill the void.
In my view, the villain should either be Lan Di, or Tentei/Yuanda Zhu with a double-nature like Palpatine/Sidious. Someone more personal who has been involved since the start.

Does anyone else think that Hsu, Bei, and Shiling's inclusion at Niaowu Castle was a last-minute decision?

Pay attention to that entire sequence: neither of those characters utters a single word the whole time during the Castle assault. Instead, only their grunts and sighs are used.

I wonder if the Castle mission was originally meant for Ren and Ryo, and then they beefed up the squad much later hence the lack of voice recording.

Does anyone else think that Hsu, Bei, and Shiling's inclusion at Niaowu Castle was a last-minute decision?

Pay attention to that entire sequence: neither of those characters utters a single word the whole time during the Castle assault. Instead, only their grunts and sighs are used.

I wonder if the Castle mission was originally meant for Ren and Ryo, and then they beefed up the squad much later hence the lack of voice recording.
The shrine maiden was an early character revealed, I think they wanted an epic sequence like the assault on the yellow head building, but they ran out of money. In my opinion, it would have been great if they intergrated her side quest into the main story so she's more important, and if they combined Hsu and Zixiong into the same character (He was on a trip in Bailu Village whatever..)

I'll have to find the page on the Japanese website but they give a bit of back story on her and a couple of others. I sense more was supposed to happen with her.

Hopefully what they weren't able to use in terms of character building sidequests are recycled at the Cliff Temple from Hsu and Shiling.

In my view, the villain should either be Lan Di, or Tentei/Yuanda Zhu with a double-nature like Palpatine/Sidious. Someone more personal who has been involved since the start.
Yeah it’s hard to erase that quote from Shenmue Masters interview with Yu Suzuki about nature of Yuanda Zhu. In a sense his letter to Iwao along with Lan Di’s visit to the Dojo were really the precipitating factors to the Saga (outside creation of the mirrors).

Correct me if I am wrong but outside reference in Japanese guide book has there ever been any official confirmation of Tentei? My memory is a little fuzzy.

Yeah it’s hard to erase that quote from Shenmue Masters interview with Yu Suzuki about nature of Yuanda Zhu. In a sense his letter to Iwao along with Lan Di’s visit to the Dojo were really the precipitating factors to the Saga (outside creation of the mirrors).

Correct me if I am wrong but outside reference in Japanese guide book has there ever been any official confirmation of Tentei? My memory is a little fuzzy.
I guess if Zhu is the true leader of the CYM, even telling Chen about a legendary monster summoned by the Mirrors, maybe a little obvious to the audience, but Ryo has a single minded goal, to achieve his revenge, that he doesn't see how he's being led into the fray.

I believe that is it. I'd have to find the topic, but I think only one guide book makes mention of the character, back when Kiyuu was the resident translator!

I'm wondering if Ziming - while already confirmed to not be one of the Four Leaders - might actually be Tentei.

1627422709509.png

I like how he walks into the centre of the Chi You Men emblem, possibly representing that he's the central leader of the group.

Also, "You don't need to know" is not really something a mere subordinate would say to their superior.

Back