General RGG Discussion

I didnt finish Y7 yet because i played the Judgment Remaster and i really need a little break
before Lost Judgment,
but couldnt they easily fix this Y7 enemies / battles everywhere problem
with the solution games like WoW or other MMORPGs / RPGs are using,
where enemies that are like 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 levels below your char level
simply wont attack you? So for example if the homeless people
are like 8, 9, 10 lvls below your level and the exp doesnt do anything for you because its so little,
these enemies shouldnt be able to start a fight with you.

This is a bit of an unpopular opinion, but I am starting to be burned out with the Ryu Ga Gotoku series. As someone who has played turn-based role-playing games their entire life, the battle, and Class system in the seventh installment did not impress me much. I am not a fan of the story nor Ichiban. I understand he was written to be an everyman character, but I just could not relate to him. I think it would interesting in the next installment if you could customize your character to reflect your personal preferences similar to many Western role-playing games.

In terms of content, maybe it is just me, but it just feels more of the same with some extras on top. However, I have just lost the motivation to do some of these side stories anymore. I am probably going to take a break from this franchise for a while. All I want right now is a remake and/or remaster of the Kenzan or Ishin games or a title that takes place in the Sengoku Era starring Kiryu as Hattori Hanzo.

This is a bit of an unpopular opinion, but I am starting to be burned out with the Ryu Ga Gotoku series. As someone who has played turn-based role-playing games their entire life, the battle, and Class system in the seventh installment did not impress me much. I am not a fan of the story nor Ichiban. I understand he was written to be an everyman character, but I just could not relate to him. I think it would interesting in the next installment if you could customize your character to reflect your personal preferences similar to many Western role-playing games.

In terms of content, maybe it is just me, but it just feels more of the same with some extras on top. However, I have just lost the motivation to do some of these side stories anymore. I am probably going to take a break from this franchise for a while. All I want right now is a remake and/or remaster of the Kenzan or Ishin games or a title that takes place in the Sengoku Era starring Kiryu as Hattori Hanzo.
I do wonder if Sega/RGG will start doing self-contained installement going forward like Final fantasy. Where every sequel is it's own thing and not direct or uses any cast/plot from prevs entry. That will help alleviate burn-outs and extends longetivity.

I didnt finish Y7 yet because i played the Judgment Remaster and i really need a little break
before Lost Judgment,
but couldnt they easily fix this Y7 enemies / battles everywhere problem
with the solution games like WoW or other MMORPGs / RPGs are using,
where enemies that are like 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 levels below your char level
simply wont attack you? So for example if the homeless people
are like 8, 9, 10 lvls below your level and the exp doesnt do anything for you because its so little,
these enemies shouldnt be able to start a fight with you.
See something like that would do me fine. If you're a higher level than they are then they cower away and don't bother engaging with you sort of thing. Or you can choose to engage with them if you feel like by making the first attack as they cower away at your leveled up character.

I think the problem with Y7 is there are so many street level fights and they do take a bit too long. I guess it's not too bad once you're leveled up and can start hitting "all enemy" attacks, you can get rid of them pretty quickly with those, but still, I like that idea of lower level enemies not engaging you and you maybe having to engage them if you want.

Would make running around certain areas of town easier and leave the higher levels for different territories like they kind of did with Y7 and how China Town was mostly higher levels.

I feel ya, I was feeling a bit burned out around Judge Eyes as was. The series has been around for a LONG time and there is only so much they can keep doing with it before its just the same old, same old.

I don't know if I'd want customizable characters, but I do wonder how far they can keep going with Ichiban and crew...I don't know, I'm interested to see what they do with Y8 going forward though.

I'm always a bit sceptical about games with a character editor.
It has a lot of potential for things going wrong.
For example, the character creation has to be really really high quality,
like the one in Nioh 2. If the character creation is just bad or lazy,
then i wont enjoy playing that character and would prefer a fixed pre designed one by the developers.
I dont enjoy creating my own character if the editor is too simple.
Most of the time i dont like character editors at all,
Monster Hunter World, all FromSoft games, most of the MMORPG creation tools,
they are all pretty bad if you ask me.

And then the second thing, a lot of times, main characters that were designed by the player in a creation editor
dont talk because the developers are afraid of the players immersion.
... i really really dont want a silent main character in a RGG game that just nods and waves
and only the other characters are talking. I dont like that.

High quality character creation + i dont know ... two male (two female?) voices
you can choose from = okay.
Standard or bad quality character creation + no voices = no thanks.

'Localization developer Scott Strichart has warned fans that Lost Judgment has some heavy themes and the game "isn't pulling any punches."

Lost Judgment is a game that lets you walk cute dogs and pull off sick skateboard tricks across Yokohama, but Strichart wants fans to know that the game's main story is anything but wacky. In a tweet posted on Thursday, Strichart warns potential buyers that Lost Judgment "deals with various traumas" and to read up on the game before buying.

According to Strichart, Lost Judgment "isn't pulling any punches" with its themes and wants fans to look after themselves and make sure they're in the right headspace before they dive into Yagami's next case.'

'Localization developer Scott Strichart has warned fans that Lost Judgment has some heavy themes and the game "isn't pulling any punches."

Lost Judgment is a game that lets you walk cute dogs and pull off sick skateboard tricks across Yokohama, but Strichart wants fans to know that the game's main story is anything but wacky. In a tweet posted on Thursday, Strichart warns potential buyers that Lost Judgment "deals with various traumas" and to read up on the game before buying.

According to Strichart, Lost Judgment "isn't pulling any punches" with its themes and wants fans to look after themselves and make sure they're in the right headspace before they dive into Yagami's next case.'
Getting strong rape trauma vibes from this for w/e reason. I don't know what else could realistically be in the game that would have him acting so cautiously towards the western audience.

Getting strong rape trauma vibes from this for w/e reason. I don't know what else could realistically be in the game that would have him acting so cautiously towards the western audience.
With the highschool setting ... its probably about mobbing, suicide and sexual harassment ... maybe?
Isnt this what Persona 5 is about too?
I mean i dont think there will be any rape scenes or explicit stuff,
its still a RGG game with Yagami and not some indie underground thing.
So its probably more about the themes in general,
that it could affect players who had problems in school.
Thats how i read it.
But this setting is something new for the whole RGG universe series, right?
So they could do a lot of different things with it.

One thing i noticed is how they showed the rotting corpse from different camera angles
and they said the game will be more explicit in this regard.
Judgment 1 didnt really have these kind of scenes, right?
Whenever there was a scene with eyes, they never showed it
and the corpse stuff was only on photos or framed in a not very explicit way.
So i thought this was simply because of Japans age restriction system
because they cant even release Resident Evil games uncut there.
But now they can show a rotting corpse?

Last edited:
With the highschool setting ... its probably about mobbing, suicide and sexual harassment ... maybe?
Isnt this what Persona 5 is about too?

To a degree...there was definitely a segment of P5 that dealt with a high school gym teacher abusing and sexually harassing his students driving one of them to a suicide attempt. If there is anything that comes close to that in in the next Judgment game then maybe that's what they're warning about.

Will see.

I mean, there are these scenes with this one girl in all of the trailers who always looks scared and sad
and then literally everytime after that, a group of thugs can be seen in different settings
when Yagami approaches her.
Then this teacher or mother segment where she says something about
how she is responsible too because she didnt stop it.

Maybe the dead guy was her father or something and then they are bullying his daughter in school
because in the TV news they said that he was a pervert because of the train incident ... i'm just guessing.

So mobbing or some kind of harassment is definitely one of the themes.
Which wouldnt be too surprising. I'm not an expert but i heard a lot of times
that mobbing can be pretty bad at japanese schools.

Last edited:
Is the High School stuff main plot? I actually haven't kept up with much of Lost Judgment and what the plot actually is. Been wanting to go into it mostly blind when it comes to plot...but I am curious how much takes place in the school and whether it is main plot related or strictly side stuff?

Is the High School stuff main plot? I actually haven't kept up with much of Lost Judgment and what the plot actually is. Been wanting to go into it mostly blind when it comes to plot...but I am curious how much takes place in the school and whether it is main plot related or strictly side stuff?
There was kind of a official description for the start / setup of the game when they released the first trailer
on a german gaming website,

i translated it if you want to read it. Its mainly just stuff that we already saw
in all of the trailers but the description gives you some context.

If you dont want to know anything, dont read it. But its really just the description
of how the story starts.

Akihiro Eharo (in the trailer the guy with the glasses in court)
is a cop and hes being accused of groping a woman in a train.
There are also smartphone videos of the incident, clearly showing him.

So its clear that Akihiro Eharo is guilty. But in court, while he is about to get sentenced,
Ehara asks the judge if he knows about the corpse in Ijincho Yokohama.
He also explains who this corpse is and that he deserved death
because he was responsible for Akihiro Eharo sons suicide.

The police investigates and it turns out Akihiro Eharo said the truth,
which leads to this new case where Akihiro Eharo is the main suspect too.
But this cant be true because it seems like the time of death
was at the exact same time when Akihiro Eharo was caught in the train.

Thats where they contact Yagami. Yagami is in Ijincho where he is investigating a allegation of mobbing
and harassment at a high school.
Yagami tries to make sense of whats going on there
but a bunch of cliques are in his way and even the procecution department is not a fan of his work there.
Yagami is trapped between three parties who all want to stop him.
Yagami doesnt want to stop but the deeper he digs, the more victims appear.
And it seems like the whole Akihiro Eharo incident is somehow connected to the high school case ...

Love that synopsis.

Still haven't pre-ordered, but I have some time ;).

@Sput Vas Normandy lol, I told you to just wait ;). When he returns, I went absolutely apeshit, but it's not HIS story, so I'm glad that there is indeed continuity with 6 and they didn't cop out by bringing it back.

I like Ichiban, a lot.... but he will never be Kiryu. I think we all need to accept that fact and do our best to embrace it going forward, because there's no point in the series having 2 Kiryu-types; might as well just keep Kiryu around and active, instead of handling it the way they did (which would be uproarious in negativity from the public, surely).

7 wasn't the strongest in the series in every element (save for maybe graphics, where it is the best one), but it is NEAR the top in every section, which made its whole the best in the series, IMO.

I'm sure the "heavy themes" deal with bullying, but in a very Japanese way. For example, the son of the murderer talked about how the guy was bullying his son and will probably deal withbullying in the workplace, and how Japan is shit at dealing with it.

Well, I think I'm not gonna bother with the 2nd Platinum for Yakuza 7...I was reminded about the true Millennium Tower battle and the fact that you have to grind to lvl 90 or so...I'm at level 73 now...nope, can't be assed. Don't want to do it again. I'll stick with my Japanese platinum and not bother with the 2nd Platinum.

I think I'm done with Yakuza 7 English version in general...I just can't be assed to do that grind again.

Cool, just made my PS4 preorder last week!

The first Judgment did not ever have a steelbook, correct?

Yakuza 7 is bloody amazing WOW.

Might be my favorite Yakuza yet. The gameplay changes and new systems are really good.

Honestly, it feels like they copied everything to do with Persona 4 and 5 and put a yakuza spin on it, but i'm cool with that. Really enjoying it and Ichiban and his group are great characters.

Will update when i play more of it

Back