General RGG Discussion

Heres a first look at the upcoming DLC which lets you change the model of your detective dog friend into something else

Lost-Judgment_20210520_02.jpg

037.jpg

(ITS A JOKE)
lacS.png

Last edited:
Lost Judgment will be at Gamescom,
well at least its listed in the official german stream schedule for August 26.
Which is already an upgrade because the old Yakuza games
where never there because of english only.

They were. I played the Y6 demo at Gamescom once.
Yeah, they were there for the international audience and maybe there were english interviews.
Even Fist of the North Star had a booth there but thats not what i'm talking about.
I'm talking about game presentations in the official german streams
where they invite devs and or showcase new games.
Its a german event, so theres always one official german stream
and also german press is there to report about the event.
Yakuza games were never part of the streams.
For example, if you take a look at the biggest german videogame website 'Gamestar'
they didnt even mention any of the old RGG stuff once in their Gamescom reports.
The first time they mentioned Yakuza 6 at all, was when Sega leaked the full version on PS4.
Lost Judgment will be a part of the official german Gamestar Gamescom stream.

Last edited:
Theres a new Lost Judgment Gamescom trailer, almost 7 minutes long.
Its all story cutscenes, no gameplay. So i think theres no need to watch it
if you already pre ordered or if you already made up your mind and want to buy it 100%.
The trailer is just spoilers then.
But it looks really really really good. The clothing and skin texture quality for the
characters that are based on real people looks really sharp and clean.
So i'm pretty sure this will look a little bit better than Judgment and Yakuza 7,
at least the quality of the important story characters. (in the next gen versions)

BUT you can easily see that the lip sync for the english dub is not on the same level
as in Yakuza Like A Dragon. Which makes sense because they already said
that they couldnt do the same quality because there wasnt enough time
with the worldwide same day release time frame.
So if you want to play the game with the english dub, prepare for a lip sync downgrade.

Maybe there will be a Lost Judgment demo version?
A user found a new hidden item in the japanese PSN called Unjudged Memory Trial Version.

The advance of China in gaming was coming long ago, but damn, start with the pozzed western games, not with muh japanese gamus.

Man, specially a franchise of games that is ripe for censorship -_-

Last edited:
The advance of China in gaming was coming long ago, but damn, start with the pozzed western games, not with muh japanese gamus.

Man, specially a franchise of games that is ripe for censorship -_-
I do quite like the Chinese games I've played (as well as many of the upcoming projects I've seen like Project DT). But at the same time, all the strange CCP regulations over the contents of the games leaves me with a lot of mixed feelings. The Chinese people have great taste, but their current government leaves a lot to be desired imo.

I do quite like the Chinese games I've played (as well as many of the upcoming projects I've seen like Project DT). But at the same time, all the strange CCP regulations over the contents of the games leave me with a lot of mixed feelings. The Chinese people have great taste, but their current government leaves a lot to be desired IMO.
Agreed. I like a lot of the titles they are producing such as Lost Soul Aside and Black Myth Wu Kong, however, I despise their dictatorial Communist Party and how they trounce individual liberties. If China starts buying up Japanese publishers and developers, it could be a huge blow to free expression in video games.

I think one thing to remember is that NetEase is not gonna 'import' Nagoshi into China.
They are looking for devs and studios outside of China so they can
create their own portfolio. Nagoshi would still work in Japan. So maybe they would allow him to create
something very very different with a very good budget.

But the same time of course we are losing something,
i mean Nagoshi was one of the directors and story writers for Judgment. Who knows
if this series would even exist without him? I guess with his position at Sega,
he probably can say yay or nay to things?
So maybe we are going to lose some RGG projects that he had in mind.

And also its possible that he will just create like mobile or online multiplayer only games for the chinese market,
which brings a lot of money but ... thats not comparable with a RGG story type of game.

I believe that Nagoshi is a huge part of the overall vision of the RGG games so am sad to see him go (if these rumours are true). It seems like such a strange time to part ways, especially at a time when their games are really starting to receive the attention they deserve in the West. Saying that, it could also make perfect sense as his games have now broken through to the West, thus he feels as if it's time to move on to the next chapter in his career (completing one goal, moving on to a new one etc).

RGG's games usually follow a similar formula that they have been perfecting for years now, so I feel like they are more than capable of continuing on creating their amazing games. The main thing that worries me is that it seems strange for just Nagoshi to go? Is he just going to switch over to NetEase and lead a development team over there? He can't take the Dragon Engine as that, I assume, belongs to RGG. I feel like if I were to go over to a new company, that I would take some of my team with me, especially when they've been working together for so many years?

Very interesting story, and I'm intrigued to see how it plays out. We have Lost Judgement coming in ~24 days now, so I wonder if they wanted to get this out of the way before the press ramp up on the game.

In a parallel universe, Sega hire Yu Suzuki to lead RGG to make Shenmue 4 ;).

Echoing the pipedream sentiment of Suzuki being hired back then AM2 becomes the lead studio again. Never will happen but oh so sweet to imagaine

Sega has a history of cutting loose their legendary directors; Naka, Suzuki being precedents. Mizoguchi left way too early, as well.

I think RGG will survive without him. It's been around long enough.

Controversial thing to say, but at this point, I wouldn't mind if it died and then maybe they could move onto something brand new.

...of course, I don't think that will happen...especially now the series is catching on in the West. I really don't see it happening anytime soon...but I do sometimes wonder, what else does that team have to offer besides Yakuza? They are a talented bunch and I'd almost like to see them do something new and not be tied to the shackles of Yakuza. (or Yakuza reskinned in terms of Judgment)

But realistically, if Nagoshi leaves then I think RGG Studios will be fine and will keep trotting on making more Yakuza games while ever they sell. Which doesn't bother because I still like these games...but I do sometimes wonder what else does that team have to offer?

I don't see it either. Any new IP will start from square one and we know how much luck Sega has had with new IPs. There's a reason they seem to support so few franchises these days. It's unfortunate.

Yeah i dont think thats going to happen in the near future.
I mean they pushed the Yakuza franchise really hard in the past 5 years,
re released all of the games even with revised english translation,
then they went ahead and inserted english voices and even translated Like A Dragon
and Judgment into more text languages than ever before
and now as a final step they reached a Lost Judgment worldwide day one release date.

So just in terms of risk, buildup and fanbase and what makes sense,
i dont think they are going to start something completely new now.
I think this is more like a Call of Duty, Assassins Creed situation now where it just keeps on going
because the formula works.
I know it sounds like a bad example but i dont mean it in a bad way, its just my expectation
based on what happened until today.
I dont think Sega is going to stop this Yakuza universe series now of all times.
Its one of their few reliable IPs.

If they can figure out how to make the Yakuza formula/Dragon Engine help them streamline other similar franchises (Shenmue ;), but really anything else), certainly that's an angle worth exploring. Now that they've got a turn-based engine & a real time combat engine going, there's certainly some possibility there.

Back