RESIDENT EVIL DISCUSSION THREAD

Just finished it.

It does feel as though the more this series goes on, the more the bioweapons and their abilities are getting really ridiculous. I bet in Resident Evil 9 we're going to find a parasite that gives people the power to mentally pull planets into a collision course with Earth. It's going to happen eventually.

Castle Dimitrescu was a highlight. I wouldn't have minded had the whole game been about exploring the creepy village and that castle alone.

The Biohazard/Resident Evil puppet show is all kinds of adorable <3

I won't get round to RE8 for a while as I still need to play RE3 Remake, but mega excited for it. No spoilers for RE8 please!!

Ok i will write it in spoilers so you can read the 'awesome parts' you are missing out on.
Warning for everyone else, its hardcore spoilers for the finale 30-40% of the game.

So after you beat all the oldschool castle and mansion stuff, which is more on the slower atmospheric side
but already more action than in the first half of Resi 7,
the game is going to send you to Heisenberg, thats the weird Magneto guy with the hat.
And like all of a sudden, out of nowhere, you are in this modern looking underground factory,
where Heisenberg is building his own army of the dead. Braindead undead soldiers
with metal parts on them, drill arms and like VR goggles and then there are enemies in full mech armor
with red blinking weak points and the whole level design is literally just corridor after corridor after corridor,
no puzzles or anything
and the game throws these 3 type of enemies at you. Again and again and again and again
and this region goes on and on and on and on. Than there is this boss fight where some guy with a spinning fan
is charging at you 100 times, the same one move and you have to bait him
and then shoot his red blinking weak point on the back in his mech suit.

So the gameplay is just the most simple and most boring action shooter gameplay you can imagine.
It has absolutely nothing to do with the demo gameplay or with the trailer footage.
And its not just the gameplay, the story also goes downhill.
After Ethan is able to get to Heisenberg, he throws him back to the ground of the factory
and then suddenly theres Chris Redfield. The same Chris Redfield who shot Ethans wife Mia
at the beginning of the game. Turns out, that wasnt Mia.
It was mother Miranda (the head of this whole Village community) that took her form.
And then Chris gives Ethan a mini tank that is equipped with a chainsaw arm, a machine gun
and a high caliber explosive gun
and you have to fight against a transformed Heisenberg (who now looks like some demonic Metal Gear) with that tank.
So its like a Michael Bay transformers vehicle fight with completely over the top action scenes ...
but just 2 hours ago you walked around a castle with vampires ...

After that, it changes the perspective and you are playing Chris
and you have access to his whole arsenal of weapons. So you are killing like
20 werewolf enemies in 3 minutes and there are fixed points where you get full ammunition for
all of Chris weapons and then you have to survive waves of enemy attacks
and at the same time mark a target with a laser, so that soldiers can bomb the place ...

Then theres this whole wannabe twist where the game tells you
that Ethan actually died in Resi 7 and hes only alive because of this whole mold stuff
and then Ethan sacrifices himself so that his little daughter and Chris can escape
and then its like 18 years later and the game is teasing
a Resident Evil 9 game with Rose who was trained by Chris and they still have a job to do ...

Its just ... ??? ... what happened??? Did they hire Kojima for 2 hours to write the second half?
The Kojima bit got me..

Having finished it last night (well, early this morning!), I honestly loved it.

RE7 felt like a throwback to the earlier games, and RE8 feels like RE4. I love the secrets, the upgrades, and the general gameplay. I haven't done a ton with Mercs yet, but I replayed RE7, RE2R and RE3R a few times to unlock stuff, and will likely do the same here. I feel like there's a fair bit of secrets I haven't uncovered yet, even if we're only talking about valuables to sell, weapon upgrades, and so forth.

Now the story, and a wall of text:

Wow, yeah, I'm still digesting it.

So I won't lie, I'm an Ethan fan/defender. He wasn't a sparkling personality in RE7, but he was exactly what he was supposed to be: a scared, confused man caught up in something big. He wasn't a trained soldier or officer (Chris, Leon, Barry, Jill, Rebecca, Sheva, et cetera), and he wasn't even someone with youthful wrecklessness and bravado (Claire, Steve, Ashley). He's a twenty-something married engineer just trying to find his wife.

In RE8, though, you really feel for the dude: he's a dad trying to piece together his broken life. He tries so hard to help the people around him, and is constantly failing. Meanwhile, he's being beaten, bitten, and brutalized. I'm really feeling bad for this guy.

Then they kill him off. Wait, what? Even when he returns, it's revealed/retconned that he's been dead since the beginning of RE7. That sort of hurt. He's been walking mold ever since, and oh, he's dead AGAIN.

By this point, I'm shedding a few manly tears. I've been with Ethan for two games and more than four years at this point, just watching the nicest guy in the series getting kicked around in a disaster of a life he can't help. Dude just loves his wife and kid, and everything he does is for them. RE8 makes him more likable than he's ever been, then informs you he's been dead for four years (casting a weird, retroactive shadow on RE7), and then kills him off for good, while yet again Chris survives and the relative newcomer dies.

(And while I don't want Chris to die, he's a favorite, it sucks to lose both Piers and Ethan!)

Meanwhile, the BSAA, good guys since RE5 and a replacement for the corrupt FBC, are apparently the bad guys now, standing in direct opposition to Chris and utilizing bioweapons as soldiers to boot.

So is Chris still with Blue Umbrella, or is he working by himself/for a different group? What the heck is going on with the BSAA? The Connections are still around, but 8 tells us almost nothing about them besides they're behind the events of both 7 and 8.

Meanwhile, the Mold apparently predates the T-Virus, and Miranda/the Mold are essentially the foundation for the entire series, with Miranda mentoring Spencer, teaching him about the Mold, and inspiring him to create his own bio evolutions. I'm glad that they're connecting RE7/8 to the series, but making 8 the basis for everything that's happened over the entire course of the series might be a bit much, that sort of bias we have where whatever is current is considered to be more important than what happened in the past.

I spent half a day ruminating on that last 20% of the game before finding out things still might not be as they seem. Curiously, photo mode tricks allegedly show that that lone figure walking toward the car in the post-credits sequence is... Ethan. Again, wait, what? Did Capcom just want a shadowy figure and chose a poor model that they never expected anyone to see, or is Ethan actually alive? Is it somehow Miranda, taking his form?

So, I mean, I don't know. I'm genuinely excited for RE9, I just hope they follow through with the story to a proper conclusion/answers, unlike Umbrella disappearing between CV and RE4, Natalia being forgotten after Rev 2, and basically everything from RE6 just hanging as loose threads. I need to know about Ethan, about the BSAA and Blue Umbrella, what happens with Rose, and at least something revelatory about the Connections, since we've heard about them for two games at this point and know nothing beyond "a big secret group that does bioweapons research".

I love the series, and I'm loving 8, although I'll certainly need time to digest it as a whole.

I finished Resident evil 8 last week. It was a great game. I absolutely loved it.

I was going in with low expectations as im not a big fan of resident evil 4, but resi 8 was fantastic. Loved the villians, the setting, and the story.

Ethan fan for life after what that poor dude has gone through.

I finished Resident evil 8 last week. It was a great game. I absolutely loved it.

I was going in with low expectations as im not a big fan of resident evil 4, but resi 8 was fantastic. Loved the villians, the setting, and the story.

is resident evil 8 still about bio-weapons and secret laboratories or is it more about monsters now?

is resident evil 8 still about bio-weapons and secret laboratories or is it more about monsters now?
If you mean 'monsters' in terms of Are there now real living creatures from another world or whatever
in the RE universe that werent created by humans / experiments / a virus,
then no. Its still Resident Evil, so there is a reason why the Village enemy types are in that game
and its not about 'we found supernatural beings'.
These creatures arent the same creatures that you know from typical horror movies. They just look like it.

Reactions: red

Yes! Now admittedly, I was pretty stoked for RE8 if a little wary, but it was even better than I expected. Everything I didn't like about 7 (or that just needed expanded upon) they fixed.

Including Ethan. I went from feeling like "yeah, he's all right, decent guy if a bland" with Ethan in 7 to being a huge fan as 8 progressed.

I've actually replayed RE8 five times already and am in the middle of a "Knives Out" run. It's going to be the first RE game that I ever completed 100%, and I've been playing since RE1 on the Saturn (although I suppose it's harder to define what "100%" means back with the older ones!).

Speaking solely as an observer (never played any RE firsthand aside from a few brief moments here and there), it seems to me 8 definitely wasn’t bad but tbh I think I preferred 7 for several reasons. I guess mostly just liking the Baker family more than any of the new bad guys. The only other thing is the devs have gone on record saying 8 took a lot from 4, there’s certainly some there but mostly aesthetic. The gameplay just does not seem anywhere near as in depth.

Forgot Lisa Trevor. MOTH...ERRR!!!

E-DBob8VQAIXhM9.jpg

Back