What Movie Are You Watching?

Went to see the Shang-Chi: Legend of the Ten Rings movie today. I enjoyed it more than Black Widow (as I like Michelle Yeoh as an actress), but the movie lacked focus as if it were trying to tell three different stories at once. One was about Shang-Chi's past, another was a family drama, and the third was a heroic fantasy story with an Asian motif. For me, it would have been better if Disney and/or Marvel Studios divided it into separate movies as the different stories on their own were good, they just did not mix well is all.

Last edited:
Took in a couple of old favourites, this weekend and another more-recent favourite (of my wife's lol)..

Not Another Teen Movie (2001):

A complete mashup parody of teen films, from 2000 and prior (with a marked emphasis on, "She's All That," and "Pretty in Pink)," the callbacks and homages to each and every film is just fantastic and SO well-done. I hadn't watched any of the films parodied, before watching this film, but giving the originals a watch, gave me such a greater appreciation for them and this film as well. As a result, I can't really give a plot summary, as there are spoilers of half a dozen other films and the plot's a bit all-over the place (when you need to pay homage and have 7-8 storylines in one film, it gets that way).

As mentioned previously in this thread, it has probably been 8-10 years since I last saw this film and I still have every line memorized and still enjoy it as much as I did back then. It's great fun and truly a tasteful parody film, without any crass/low-brow jokes (there is one, actually) unless it pays homage to the original film (then there are even more lol, but it still fits in context with everything) and without any truly bad acting (again, unless that was the point in the original film). Nothing here is Oscar-worthy, of course, but it's more-than sufficient for the type of film it is. Evans and Leigh are great together, hell, the whole cast works so well-together, it's like they've been friends since childhood.

Want to say that this was the first ANYTHING that I saw Lacey Chabert in and she was just as stunningly-beautiful and captivating as she has been in her later-adult life (she'll be 40 next year, IIRC), definitely my favourite actress ever. A lot to see in this film and a lot of fun to be had.

8/10

Girls Trip (2017):

Another film that piggybacks off of the, "Bridesmaids," trend, Ryan Pierce is a successful Black Woman (think a {much} younger Oprah), who has been announced as the keynote speaker for the annual Essence Festival in New Orleans and we are introduced to her group of university friends, the, "Flossy Posse," (such a cringe name, ugh) and their various hijinks, leading up to the events in the film. Since she's allowed a group to travel down with her, the 4 of them reunite after not seeing each other for years and the films begins, with even more hijinks, over-the-top craziness and a bit of seriousness, in terms of the human condition.

Off the top, I never expected to like this chick flick (especially a, "Black Film;" I have nothing against the genre, but it very much is a genre of films made for specifically, African-Americans), but it truly isn't a bad film. It's not great either lol, but outside of 4 scenes, there's nothing super-raunchy or low-brow (those 3 scenes are quite ridiculous though, one of them being borderline disgusting and INCREDIBLY unrealistic) and there is an Aesop to be had. Definitely a film for women lol and while Tiffany Haddish is SUPER over-the-top, it actually works well in the context of the film and a few scenes, she's truly a riot.

7/10 (rounded)

Demolition Man (1993):

I saw this for the first time, last year! Can't believe I didn't write about it. Anyways...

1996, John Spartan (Stallone) is flying in a helicopter, going after super-villain, Simon Phoenix (Snipes), in a (supposedly) abandoned building and he is to both apprehend Phoenix, as well as rescue 30 or so hostages, that were trapped on a city bus. LA has become a cesspool, with crime rampant and weapons/evil everywhere. Phoenix is apprehended by Spartan and carried out, just as the building collapses in a huge explosion. Phoenix yells to the cops that Spartan caused all of this and he is also apprehended, with both being cryogenically-frozen for their sentences. Fast-forward to 2032 and the world is now a futuristic place, with LA being amalgamated with San Diego, now known as San Angeles. Crime has been all but eradicated, people cannot have sex or even kiss/touch one another and every restaurant in the world, is Taco Bell (:LOL:). Phoenix is able to escape his prison and wreaks havoc; who better to stop him, than a cop from his time as well? Spartan is unfrozen and the rest is history.

Honestly, while not a huge fan of Stallone, I'm amazed this film was so poorly-received when it came out; again, I viewed it for the first time recently, but I found it to be SO enjoyable, SO much fun and there's just so much fantastic and effective comedy, it really is a superb action film. The, "fining," that happens constantly is just hilarious and I'm glad they kept the consistency; I think there is only one instance in the film where a character wasn't fined, otherwise it happens every time. Bullock is also great in her first major role and the supporting cast does a fantastic job. Snipes really is the star of the show, however, putting his martial arts skills and charisma on display and he and Stallone feed off each other well. A great film, with fantastic satire.

9/10

Took in a couple of old favourites, this weekend and another more-recent favourite (of my wife's lol)..

Not Another Teen Movie (2001):

A complete mashup parody of teen films, from 2000 and prior (with a marked emphasis on, "She's All That," and "Pretty in Pink)," the callbacks and homages to each and every film is just fantastic and SO well-done. I hadn't watched any of the films parodied, before watching this film, but giving the originals a watch, gave me such a greater appreciation for them and this film as well. As a result, I can't really give a plot summary, as there are spoilers of half a dozen other films and the plot's a bit all-over the place (when you need to pay homage and have 7-8 storylines in one film, it gets that way).

As mentioned previously in this thread, it has probably been 8-10 years since I last saw this film and I still have every line memorized and still enjoy it as much as I did back then. It's great fun and truly a tasteful parody film, without any crass/low-brow jokes (there is one, actually) unless it pays homage to the original film (then there are even more lol, but it still fits in context with everything) and without any truly bad acting (again, unless that was the point in the original film). Nothing here is Oscar-worthy, of course, but it's more-than sufficient for the type of film it is. Evans and Leigh are great together, hell, the whole cast works so well-together, it's like they've been friends since childhood.

Want to say that this was the first ANYTHING that I saw Lacey Chabert in and she was just as stunningly-beautiful and captivating as she has been in her later-adult life (she'll be 40 next year, IIRC), definitely my favourite actress ever. A lot to see in this film and a lot of fun to be had.

8/10

Demolition Man (1993):

I saw this for the first time, last year! Can't believe I didn't write about it. Anyways...

1996, John Spartan (Stallone) is flying in a helicopter, going after super-villain, Simon Phoenix (Snipes), in a (supposedly) abandoned building and he is to both apprehend Phoenix, as well as rescue 30 or so hostages, that were trapped on a city bus. LA has become a cesspool, with crime rampant and weapons/evil everywhere. Phoenix is apprehended by Spartan and carried out, just as the building collapses in a huge explosion. Phoenix yells to the cops that Spartan caused all of this and he is also apprehended, with both being cryogenically-frozen for their sentences. Fast-forward to 2032 and the world is now a futuristic place, with LA being amalgamated with San Diego, now known as San Angeles. Crime has been all but eradicated, people cannot have sex or even kiss/touch one another and every restaurant in the world, is Taco Bell (:LOL:). Phoenix is able to escape his prison and wreaks havoc; who better to stop him, than a cop from his time as well? Spartan is unfrozen and the rest is history.

Honestly, while not a huge fan of Stallone, I'm amazed this film was so poorly-received when it came out; again, I viewed it for the first time recently, but I found it to be SO enjoyable, SO much fun and there's just so much fantastic and effective comedy, it really is a superb action film. The, "fining," that happens constantly is just hilarious and I'm glad they kept the consistency; I think there is only one instance in the film where a character wasn't fined, otherwise it happens every time. Bullock is also great in her first major role and the supporting cast does a fantastic job. Snipes really is the star of the show, however, putting his martial arts skills and charisma on display and he and Stallone feed off each other well. A great film, with fantastic satire.

9/10
I've always said NATM is incredibly underrated and probably the last of the good parodies before the genre went to full blown shit.

Demolition Man only gets better with age ;) The farcical satirical nature of it is more than relevant in this increasingly big brother world of ours. That movie only gets better with age as far as I'm concerned. Oh and those Dennis Leary rants....:D
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Batman Hush -- I'd read the graphic novel a while back and only just got around to checking out the animation. A pretty good adaptation all things considered // 4 out of 5

Josie and the Pussycats -- I had never seen this before. One of those ones I had on a list for a long time but never got around to. Better than I expected. Some of the satire is a little too heavy handed. I mean I get it, it's making fun of product placement and the insidious nature of advertising in general, but some of the satire is a little too heavy handed. But it is mostly a fun movie. The chemistry between Rosario Dawson, Rachael Leigh Cook and Tara Reid is pretty good.

And the songs aren't bad either in that catchy bubblegum pop punk early 00s fashion. In fact, that's what I would say about it...it's like a fucking time capsule of Early 00's fashion and trends. But being a kid/teen of that era...I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it. // 3.5 out of 5

Evil Dead Trap -- I had never seen this before but the Blu Ray finally arrived this week and I sat down and watched it. Very derivative, but brutal and relentlessly gory. Just the way I like my horror! (at times...when I'm in the mood). Japanese horror done with a slight hint of Italian flair. Enjoyed it well enough! // 3.5 out of 5

Last edited:

The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad -- You really can't go wrong with Leslie Nielsen. The man was a bloody comic genius with how silly and straight he could play it. // 4 out of 5

The Suicide Squad -- Well, it was certainly better than the first attempt! A bit of James Gunn's Troma background was on show here. Which is fine by me! As much as I loved Guardians of the Galaxy, I still much prefer Troma (or even Super) James Gunn and this invoked more of that side of him for me which was A-Okay! // 4 out of 5

Catwoman -- Been on a bit of a Catwoman/Batman binge lately. But strangely enough, I had actually never sat through this before. The bad reviews really put me off on release. But I decided to check it out and...it's so bad, it's almost good. I say almost because there are times where it approaches being "so bad, it's good" territory only to swiftly remind you "no, this is just bad!" in other spots. To quote Roger Ebert though: "there are two good things about this movie. Halle Berry. And Halle Berry's costume!" The man couldn't have said it any better!

It's a shame! There is a good Catwoman movie waiting to be made somewhere out there. Read Catwoman: When In Rome...there's a good story they could take from for an independent Catwoman movie! But alas, we get this shit instead. // (a very generous) 2 out of 5...mostly just for Halle Berry and her Costume.

Another trailer that just brings me absolutely nostalgic joy, and, hopefully it won't squander its potential like MK 2021:

As for recent views, I've re-watched Michael Mann's Heat, and it's still one of my all time favorites. Highly recommend it if anyone haven't seen it.

I wrote about the Matrix in the, "Random Thoughts," thread, but this is a no-brainer to watch; I am well-versed in the backstory, characters, lore and everything else, so I'll be there around Christmastime to watch it in theatres.

Funnily-enough, I've never seen the Animatrix (and that's where 90% of the lore and backstory come from lol), but have read so much trivia/TvTropes/other source material about it, I feel as if I've seen it all; it's probably the only piece of media that I know so well, without having consumed it.

EDIT* About Heat, it too is a great film, a bit underrated, IMO. Kilmer steals the show, I feel and while I'm not a fan of either (especially DeNiro; Pacino is tolerable), having Pacino and DeNiro share the screen will ALWAYS result in high-quality cinema.

@Truck_1_0_1_ Don't remember much about Animatrix as it has been almost 20 years since I saw it, but I recall the high quality animation work put into it. One story that stood out for me was of Neo helping that kid from the last movie awaken from the Matrix.

About the trailer, it's a bit puzzling to me that Keanu is keeping his John Wick look and even the gravel-voiced tone. It really feels like John Wick meets the Matrix in my head.

EDIT: Actually not that much of a fan of either actor too lol, but I really can't deny their respective amazing performances in movies like Scarface, Raging Bull and Taxi Driver.

So the three foreign films (that I bought 3+ weeks ago) didn't come in, so I ended up watching 8 other films lol. Was a great film-viewing weekend!

Office Space (1999):

Peter works at a generic software company (that supports a Credit Union) and is completely apathetic towards/tired of, his job. His g/f takes him to an occupational hypnotist and the hypnotist gets him to, "not care," until he counts to three and snaps his fingers... of course, the doc dies before this count, so Peter's in a constant state of, "uncaring," which causes him to be brutally honest in his review, get promoted, get a new g/f (Jennifer Aniston) and stick it to his boss, whom everyone hates. All is well, until his two good friends at the company, are about to get laid off (including Michael Bolton :LOL:). They come up with a scheme, that completely backfires and that leads you to the rest of the film.

It's light on plot, but the writing is witty and excellent, a typical Mike Judge production (King of the Hill and Beavis & Butthead were never heavy-plot). The acting is superb for a comedy film and we root for the protagonists, despise Bill Lumbergh (:LOL:) and heed the advice of Diedrich Bader's character, who is the, "wise one," in this film. Of course, being based on Judge's, "Milton," comic strip, the character plays a prominent role in the plot, even if he isn't on-screen nearly as much as the other characters. It's nothing brilliant, but a fun and funny film indeed.

9/10 (rounded; 8.5)

Inglorious Basterds (2010):

A re-telling of the last days of WWII, fictionalized, of course, Tarantino-style. There are spoilers and plot-heavy details from the word go, so I won't summarise, for those who haven't seen it.

Phenomenal acting (after the opening scene, I flat-out said to my friends in the theatre, that Waltz was winning an Oscar... and he did!), phenomenal script-writing (IMO, the greatest two opening scenes, dialogue-wise, in cinema history, are this film and The Social Network) and just a well-crafted film from beginning to end, I enjoy this film immensely, whenever I see it. Love it, Love it, Love it. It is my favourite Tarantino film and I deem it his best (Dan and I talked about it earlier this year), though I am still yet to see Pulp Fiction, which is usually deemed his best film.

The, "Italian," scene is just priceless. Watch this if you haven't; you shan't be disappointed.

10/10

The Princess Bride (1987):

A young boy (Fred Savage) is sick and playing video games, when his grandfather (Peter Falk) comes over to read a story to him, that has been read from grandfather to grandson, for the previous 3 generations. The story is about a teenage girl (Robin Wright; stunning), who has a teenage boy servant (Cary Elwes; awesome) that she orders around, while eventually falling in love with him. He sets off one day, but never returns home and after 2 years (or was it 4? Can't remember), she is taken as a bride for the Prince of their kingdom, but she does not love him at all and while she gets away, she is kidnapped by 3 outcasts, in Vizzini (Wallace Shawn, horribly miscast as a, "Sicilian," lol, even though he has a super-memorable and funny role), Inigo Montoya (Mandy Patinkin) and Fezzik (Andre <3), who are then pursued by a man in black (CLEARLY Elwes lol, even though he's supposed to be a mysterious man). The man bests each of the kidnappers in their proficiency, which earns all of their respect (save for Vizzini, but there's a reason why lol) and then I won't say anything else, as I will be spoiling the film.

This film has been super-prevalent in my life, from a pop-culture POV and has been parodied, re-told, etc. to death, but I had never seen it until Friday (the only things I had seen were Inigo's repeated lines and, "Inconceivable!). What a wonderful film, crafted with love and heart; seeing Andre brought a constant smile to my face (especially as it was known that he had the best time of his life, during filming) and Mark Knopfler does a superb score. It's so great, I'm beyond glad that I watched it :D

9/10

Le Grand Bleu (1988):

Enzo Molinari (Jean Reno!) and Jacques Mayol (Jean-Marc Barr) are two friends (but rivals), growing up on a Grecian island. They both love to dive and are super-adept at holding their breath underwater. Enzo has a large family, many friends, but Jacques lives with just his father and his uncle, with no other close friends or companions (aside from Enzo). When Jacques' father is diving for shellfish and other things on the reef, something goes wrong and he sinks without oxygen, dying right before Jacques' eyes. We fast forward 20+ years and Enzo is a 15-time free-diving world champion, doing odd jobs here and there that involve diving (including search and rescue), though it isn't an official business or on the up and up. We also meet Johana (Rosanna Arquette), who is an insurance agent, travelling to a frozen lake in the mountains of Peru. There, she runs into Jacques, who is diving to reclaim the contents of a truck that fell in (which Johana has come to adjudicate). She is smitten and blows off work with excuses, to be with Jacques, while Jacques heads back to France and spends some time with his, "true family," a pod of Dolphins at the local sea park. With the next diving championships to be held in Sicily, Jacques heads there via invitation from Enzo, while Johana picks up on this and heads there herself. The rest of the film is Jacques' and Enzo's lives for the next few years and their ups and downs.

It's a fictionalized telling of their lives (they are real people), but it is VERY well-done and the film is beautifully shot (many shots done by Besson himself). There are laughs to be had, there are tears to shed, the film really plays with your emotions, but not in a stupid way or anything. Luc Besson was beginning his prime 10-year stretch at this point and this is easily one of the 5 best films he's done. It was in French theatres for over a year and made a ton of money for Gaumont, so the popularity was there.

There is a bit of over-acting done on Arquette's part, but other than that, the 3 leads do a really good job, with Reno being the standout that he always is and the supporting cast help keep things going as well. This a visually-delicious film though and if you love seeing nature on film, this a great start. Props to Eric Serra for a superb soundtrack like always, there isn't a single film scored by him, that I don't deem even mediocre, let alone bad.

9/10

Taxi (1998):

Staying in France, Daniel Morales (Samy Naceri) is a pizza delivery guy, who sets a record on the delivery vespa, his last day on the job. Everyone celebrates him, as he is the best delivery driver of them all and he will be greatly-missed. He gets back to his place with his g/f (Marion Cotillard), but before they can spend any quality time together, Daniel's alarm goes off (somewhat of a running gag) and he has to go lineup to get his Taxi license. After being at the office for hours, he finally gets his stuff and places it on his Peugeot, which has been heavily-modified (and I mean HEAVILY-modified). His first job is to take a kindly older lady and her groceries, home. She invites him in and makes him a big lunch and raves about her son... who works for the police and is introduced, failing his driving test for the 8th time. Eventually, through hijinks and the like, the two meet up and not going to spoil the plot further lol.

This was only the second time I've seen the film, but it was just as enjoyable as the first time. Super fun, super-light on plot, but great stunts, great driving action and the Naceri/Diefenthal connection is a great one; their chemistry is superb and they play off each other well. It's too bad Naceri's life is such a mess, otherwise they could've still made these films, as they were incredibly popular in France.

8/10

Mohabbatein (2000):

My first Bollywood film! As I wrote last week, I wrote a good 3 pages-worth about this film, in my final university essay, but had never seen a second of it. After a guy who worked at my grocery store (then my wife's) heard that I knew about this film, he let me borrow it in 2013... and I finally watched it this weekend lol.

3 young guys are at a train station in India (one after the other, gets off their respective trains) and once they all meet up, they realise they are all going to Gurukul, a sort of boarding school/university, run by the beyond-strict, Shankar (played awesomely by Amitabh Bachchan). The rules are just as strict and include no girls, no parties/festivals, no leaving the premises unless it's the weekend and it's to get supplies/food/whatever and no arts classes (music, dance, drama, etc.). After the 3 guys have some banter about girls, they each discover a girl of their dreams, off premises(ish). Knowing that they can't see them, they just file the thoughts/memories away... until a new teacher comes to the school, to teach music, Raj Aryan (played even-more awesomely by Shah Rukh Khan). He is a polar opposite of Shankar, who lives his life through his heart and does everything with love; can he teach the 3 guys to follow their hearts? Strap in for a 3 hour, 30+ minute (OMG) ride! lol

Honestly, I've seen Schindler's List, I've seen 7 Samurai, but this is SO much longer than the other two, it's insane lol. If they cut out the compulsory dance sequences, that would've easily saved 30 minutes and while they are well-done (the choreography is fantastic lol), I absolutely do not care for them in the slightest lol, thank GOD they are relegated only to musicals, in the West.

But yeah, each and every actor is absolutely brilliant, with a bit of hamminess at times (it's a Bollywood film; they are often over the top), while the female actresses are super-hammy, but none of them do a distinctly, "BAD," job; the young ones are very attractive, so at least the views aren't bad to look at. Special mention must go to Aishwarya Rai; she wasn't the huge megastar she became at the time of this film, but she was gaining steam. Not only is her role played quite well, she really is a stunning human being to look at, as this was the first time I had ever seen her, not in stills.

Plot-wise, while a simple romantic film isn't a heavy subject., the film dives 120 m down (to borrow from Le Grand Bleu above ;)) into the subject, showing the audience the feelings, responsibilities and consequences, that love brings. Khan's character is central to every aspect of the plot and while his background (or rather, the events of the character's background) would be a bit unrealistic, he drives it through his on-screen actions and dialogue: again, he just knocks it out of the park and the film turns from a simple love-story, to a plot filled with aesops, lessons learned and truths of life.

If you can stomach the runtime, this is a remarkable film that will hit you in the feelings.

9/10

Side note* for my essay (which was about the Globalisation of Cinema), I talked about how the characters wear completely Western attire (save for one of the female leads, due to reasons), are in Western settings (a diner, other British Influences) and that the locations, despite being in India, have more of a, "nowhereland," feel, as they enver explicitly mention India, their language or any other location, that identifies the setting (which isn't common in Bollywood films). Finally watching it, I could see what I wrote about!

Liar Liar (1997):

Fletcher (Jim Carrey, obviously) is a workaholic lawyer, divorced from his wife and constantly has to cancel on his son. After failing to take his son to a WCW show and then unable to attend his son's bday party, his son wishes for his dad to never tell a lie. That leads to a ton of hijinks in court, in his workplace and his everyday life.

Everyone loved this film when it came out and I had never seen it until this weekend; I get that there are some funny parts, but I find the film to be highly-overrated. The acting is mediocre (good for a comedy film), super-hammy and over the top (it is Jim Carrey, after all) and the script is nothing special; I liken this film to an Adam Sandler-esque comedy, of the late 90s/early 00s. Seeing Cary Elwes play a role, exactly 10 years after the Princess Bride, he's still a great actor, though they didn't give him enough to do.

Krista Allen is, and always will be, an absolute sex-bomb.

6/10

The Blues Brothers (1980):

My 5th favourite film ever, I haven't watched it since 2015, IIRC. Back when I used to do a paper route, (which took 3-4 days a week, to do), I had this, MK: Annihilation and Goldeneye on repeat, for the 2 years I did the route (as a result, I've seen each of those films over 250-300 times, legit), so it's one of the few other films where every line of dialogue and sound effect, is ingrained into my memory.

Jake Blues is being released from prison on parole and is picked up by his brother (not biological, blood) Elwood, whom he grew up with at the orphanage in Calumet City, Illinois. They go back there, as Jake, "promised," he'd do once released, whereupon the nun tells them that if they can't come up with $5,000.00 in a week, the Catholic Archdiocese will sell the building to the Board of Education, putting the kids, the nun and Curtis, the janitor/caretaker, out on the street, literally (well, the nun says she'll be put into the missions). After a trip to a Baptist church (the Blues are Catholic, keep in mind), they get a brilliant idea to get their band, the Blues Brothers Band, back together and make the money that way.

IMO, the greatest American Comedy film ever made, along with Ghostbusters (Dan Ackroyd was in both) and possibly, Animal House (John Belushi was in both), this is such a fantastic film from beginning to end. It never lulls, there's never any stupid dialogue and despite a bit of ham here and there (due to what's happening on-screen, not because of bad acting), everything is top-notch and so cleverly-written. The music is superb as well, even if you aren't a fan of R&B (not black people R&B, REAL Rhythm and Blues). Being a strong Catholic as well, I go nuts for this film.

10/10

Lots of films this weekend lol, I'll probably take it easy for the next little while...

Last edited:
Gotta say Shang-Chi is worth a watch just for Tony Leung Chiu-Wai alone. The dude steals every scene he is in, and glad to see Hollywood is finally giving this superb actor his due spotlight. Best Marvel villain I've seen by far in my humble opinion. Also the film might have the best action choreography since Winter Soldier as it excels in both straight martial arts action and superhero stuff, thanks to former Jackie Chan's Stunt Team member Bradley James Allan (RIP). Also, the film is unlike any superhero movie I've watched thus far which was a very pleasant surprise.

some of the movies i watched recently...

malcom x (1992) staring denzel washington. i didn't really know much about malcom x before watching this movie other than i knew he had strong views on white people. seems he rejected some of his teachings towarda the end of his life. interesting movie. denzel washington is a great actor and the director, spike lee uses some interesting camera techniques. 8.5/10

matrix trilogy.. again lol. i blame the matrix 4 trailer for making me want to watch them again. 9/10
the first film is the best. i think they went a little overboard on the cgi on the other 2 films.. but thinking back, cgi was all the rage in the early 2000s.

Beckett (2021) staring John David Washington ( i only learnt that he is denzel washington's son yesterday). classic movie formula.. guy in foreign country gets caught up in a conspiracy and people want to kill him. john is a good actor but the film is a mediocre . 6/10

zombieland 2. when this film was announced i was pretty keen on seeing it. i was expecting it to be a dumb + fun film but unfortunately it's a bit too.. dumb. lol 6/10

- the only few movies i'm looking forward to seeing are matrix 4, ghostbusters and Indiana jones 5.

Last edited:
So many good movies folks have watched recently; Demolition Man, Three Colours Blue, The Blues Brothers, Inglorious Basterds etc! I think i'll just have to do a list again instead of talking about every film i'm afriad. Again, anything in bold is something special and something I strongly recommend :)

Films
1) Bullet Ballet / Shin''ya Tsukamoto / 1998 / 3/5
2) Graveyard of Honour / Kinji Fukusaku / 1975 / 4/5
3) Outlaw: Heartless / Mio Ezaki / 1968 / 3/5
4) Gamera The Brave / Ryuta Tazaki / 2006 / 3/5
5) Annette / Leos Carax / 2021 / 3.5/5
6) Two Thousand Maniacs! / Herschell Gordon Lewis / 1964 / 1/5
7) Yakuza's Law / Teruo Ishii / 1969 / 3/5
8) Holy Motors / Leos Carax / 2012 / 4/5
9) Amer / Héléne Cattet & Bruno Forzani / 2009 / 1.5/5
10) Death Walks On High Heels / Luciano Ercoli / 1971 / 3/5
11) A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night / Ana Lily Amirpour / 5/5
12) Raw / Julia Ducournau / 2016 / 3/5
13) Outlaw: Goro The Assassin / Keiichi Ozawa / 1968 / 3/5
14) Tight Spot / Phil Karlson / 1955 / 3/5
15) Doberman Cop / Kinji Fukasaku / 1977 / 4/5
16) The Witch Who Came From The Sea / Matt Cimber / 1976 / 3.5/5
17) Sonatine / Takeshi Kitano / 1993 / 4/5
18) When You're Strange: A Film About The Doors / 2009 / 3/5
19) Daimajin / Kimiyoshi Yasuda / 1966 / 3/5
20) Shang-Chi And The Legend Of The Ten Rings / Destin Daniel Cretton / 2021 / 3/5
21) Teenage Yakuza / Seijun Suzuki / 1962 / 3/5

Shorts
1) Salut Les Cubains / Agnés Varda / 1963 / 5/5
2) Black Panthers / Agnés Varda / 1968 / 4/5
3) Idiots Deluxe / Jules White / 1945 / 3/5
4) ItalianAmerican / Martin Scorcese / 1974 / 3/5

Rewatched
1) Tokyo Story / Yasujiro Ozu / 1953 / 5/5
2) A Clockwork Orange / Stanley Kubrick / 1971 / 4/5
3) Ghost in the Shell / Mamoru Oshii / 1995 / 4/5

Of ones of interest, Annette was one of my most anticipated films of the year. Leos Carax has only done 6 films in about 40 years and at the time, I only saw 2 of them, but both were masterpieces. I'm not sure why, but the film didn't connect with me as much as I would hope. After seeing the incredible Sparks documentary The Sparks Brothers, the combination of Carax and Sparks doing a bizarre musical (a genre I adore) was very enticing. However, I felt a bit cold by it all. I think the problem is I have difficulty with operatic music; the vocals are often very shrill and I struggle with high pitch noises, so with a film full of it, it's quite hard to get through. I was reminded of The Tales of Hoffman which is a film I adore visually, but as the entire film is in opera, I can't make out any of the lyrics and I feel like i'm not "cultured" or "intelligent" enough to appreciate it. A couple of days after, I watched Holy Motors and thought that Carax is still incredible. I think I will watch Annette again with my internal hype died away and hopefully i'll appreciate it a bit more.

Raw is another one i'd like to talk about. I think i've shown my open minded approach to cinema from the gentlest of romances to the grottiest of grindhouse. Raw was something that was a bit too much for me which was a surprise! I was OK with the cannibalistic nature of the film, but it was the oversexed young adults (most of the film involves sex in some form or other) that I struggled with. Without going into too much detail, I had a difficult experience with sex and sexuality growing up (and sometimes still struggle), so I often struggle with films where people much younger than me are either more confident or explicit in their attitudes towards sex. I decided to rate the film higher than my heart wanted to give it because it's rare for a film to make me uncomfortable these days and it was shot and acted very well. But it did make me feel sad and insecure. For what it's worth, I have no problem with erotica in films, but usually if it's an older film or involves people who appear more adult.

On the other hand, A Girl Who Walks Home Alone At Night (seen at the same time as Raw as a double bill on female directred and fronted horror films) was an absolute delight. It was beautifully shot, had a pitch-dark sense of humour and a sense of *cool* that I truly wasn't expecting. A simple shot of a vampiric woman on a skateboard has been burned into my memory.

As for Shang-Chi, I liked it, but the problem is the same as *every* superhero film. The first half is great (and in this case, it really was), but the 3rd act is the same old, tedious mega action, CGI overload and it is tedious and boring. I do love Awkwafina though, she's great! And Michelle Yeoh!

Finally, the films I rewatched were all at the cinema. Tokyo Story was a last minute thing as I was 45 minutes late to a screening of a Studio Ghibli documentary. I liked the film, but it has been over a decade since i've seen it. I'm not sure if it was the combination of the day where I felt like shit and anxiety returning to London (I live in the countryside, so being in groups of people - especially since the pandemix - sometimes overwhelms me), but my goodness that film is beautiful. It's serene (typical for Ozu) and gentle. I think being a Shenmue fan really helps here. The 35mm print was pretty rough, but it was joy.

The other day I saw A Clockwork Orange (4K remaster) and Ghost in the Shell (IMAX). I was working in another office and my manager let me take a 2 1/2 hour lunch break to see ACO (first time seen in maybe 8 years?) and then see GITS after work (5 years last seen). As much as I moan about my job, I adore the flexibility. Both are incredible films that i'm happy to rewatch and that's a rare thing indeed!

Last edited:

The Book of Mormon -- I don't know if I'd call it a "film" per se but there is a complete video taped version of an audience preview leaked online that I ended up watching in full the other night. I've seen the actual stage show here in Sydney. It's brilliant! And the soundtrack is so infectiously catchy. I think I've listened to "Turn It Off" and "I Believe" more times than I can count. I absolutely adore this stage show though. It's both a brilliant mockery and almost celebration of religion in general. So long as you take religion metaphorically...that is :D I really hope Matt and Trey make a full length feature out of it someday. Then maybe they could get that Oscar and enter the EGOT club // 5 out of 5

Beavis and Butthead Do America -- Holds up! Holds up pretty dang well...or maybe I'm just a sucker for Mike Judge? // 4 out of 5

Idiocracy --
"But it has Electrolytes! It's what plants crave!" :D The more we move forward, the more I'm convinced Mike Judge actually has a Time Masheen....with the way this world is going. Okay, maybe that's too depressing to say...but I still love this film. One of Mike Judge's best! // 4 out of 5

Since @bcdcdude and @danielmann861 are huge movie buffs, I was wondering if you guys would recommend the Halloween franchise with Michael Meyers. I tried watching them back in the late eighties but never finished one of them.

Since @bcdcdude and @danielmann861 are huge movie buffs, I was wondering if you guys would recommend the Halloween franchise with Michael Meyers. I tried watching them back in the late eighties but never finished one of them.
Maybe unpopular opinion here but I'm actually not that much of a fan of the Halloween franchise. I get why it's held up in such high regard (the first movie at least), but for me...the Halloween franchise was not one I ever loved. I guess I was more of a Nightmare on Elm Street guy (as is evident by the fact that I have a Robert Englund Autographed Freddy Krueger head bust on my shelf)

But yeah, even though I'm a horror fan, I never really cared that much for the Halloween franchise.

1 and 2 were probably the best of that franchise.
3 was interesting because it tried doing something else outside of Michael Meyers.
4 through 8 were mostly forgettable to me.

Rob Zombie's Halloween was interesting to a certain point. I don't mind bits and pieces of that movie actually.
Rob Zombie's Halloween 2 is a fascinating mess of a movie.

Halloween (2018) I still haven't seen just because I was a bit over the "Reboot/Requel" trend
Halloween Kills...I have no real interest in for reasons stated above...I'm over the reboot/nostalgia trend in Hollywood.

But yeah, I've seen them all, but it's not really my favorite horror franchise and outside of the first movie -- which even then I was never in love with but at least understood why it was so well regarded -- I just never really cared about Halloween.

I was always more of a Nightmare on Elm Street kind of guy when it came to Horror franchises.

Shockingly, i've only ever seen two of them; the original and the 2018 reboot. For what it's worth, I quite enjoyed them (especially the soundtracks*) and would really like to watch them all. I have a soft spot for slasher films even if they are formulaic!

*I saw John Carpenter in concert a few years ago and it was superb!

I read that as, "I saw John Carpenter (the man) at a concert and he was superb!" (knowing that he isn't a musician :LOL:)

Great stuff, BCD! Sonatine is a favourite of mine; it REALLY was the thing to get me to go to Okinawa, after Yakuza 3 got my travel juices going. Another slow-paced film, but enjoyable and Kitano is awesome as always.

GITS is also an old favourite; I need to rewatch it again (haven't seen it in at least 4 years) and it truly is a precursor to the Matrix, in some concepts and the like, thus I deem it required viewing.

@red JDW was a standout college football running back and there was a good chance he would get a shot in the NFL... but never did, outside of tryout and offseason work.

I know I wasn't mentioned, but I'll weigh in on Halloween.

As I wrote in the past ITT, I'm not a horror fan at all and really don't like to see torture or unnecessary pain (gore I can handle), but for Halloween specifically, IMO, the remake done with Malcom McDowell and Tyler Mane in 2007, was very well-done and fair to the original.

Sorry if i'm misunderstanding, but John Carpenter *is* a musician! He composes all the music for his films! :) I saw him at a gig in Manchester about 4 or 5 years ago. I'd love to see other director musicians live like David Lynch or Jim Jarmusch (although I have seen collaborators of them live!)

Sonatine is an odd one, because I struggled to watch it in one go (to be honest, almost all of Kitano's films are difficult to watch), but I loved the feel of it. There's a humidity to the film that felt very Shenmue-esque and i'm not in sync with Kitano's pitch-black sense of humour (indeed, the bits where he left sand traps was very immature, but I couldn't help but giggle!). I really need to watch Hana-bi again; i've had the DVD for over 15 years, but i'm always watching new films or re-watching films i've bought on DVD for new, so I never get round to watching something on the shelf. Violent Cop and Kikujiro are wonderful too. I was slightly disappointed with A Scene At The Sea as I was desperate to love it, but i'll try again another day as I think I watched it on a day when I probably should've watched a gung-ho action film.

Tonight, i'll finish off Takashi Miike's "Terraformars" and re-watch a classic film noir "Murder By Contract"!

Ah! I didn't know he did all his composing, my sincerest apologies: I'm the one who misunderstood!

Squid Game on netflix. (south korean mini series - 9 episode)

if you liked the movie Battle Royale (2000), i think your enjoy this tv show.

i wouldn't recommend watching any trailers or reading any reviews as it will spoil the show but the basic premise is that people are invited to play a series of "games" for money but if you loose, you die.. but its not as dark as it sounds, its kinda funny in places and you find yourself caring about the characters lol

i would give it a solid 8.5/10

if you've got netflix, watch it ASAP! lol

squid-game.png

Last edited:
Squid Game is one of my favorite Netflix shows.It was a nice evening with my wife watching it. My wife and I enjoyed watching it together. Have you heard of chic ita wallet? I'd like to purchase it.

Last edited:
Back