Shenmue IV Will Happen - Here's Why!

Did S3 ever officially release in China or not? I remember that being kind of up in the air for a while and I don't know whatever happened with all that.
I'm pretty sure it quietly got cancelled/declined in China but I've not got much other than one of the other community groups telling me that.

I sure hope there wasn't a great deal of the budget allocated to the Chinese release of Shenmue III. I know that it's the biggest market, but it's still a huge gamble when approved sales are so strict :(

While I would welcome a Shenmue release in China, I doubt it would help much. While I think it would pass the Chinese Communist Party, it would probably be a financial black hole since whatever profit that would be made would be minimal. Last I remembered when it came to foreign movies, the Chinese Communist Party takes about seventy-five percent of the gross profit for a ticket sale. So who's to say that will be different for gaming?

A Nintendo Switch port however is something that I think would be more helpful. As to whether that would happen is anyone's guess.

I sure hope there wasn't a great deal of the budget allocated to the Chinese release of Shenmue III. I know that it's the biggest market, but it's still a huge gamble when approved sales are so strict :(
Probably wasn't a huge financial blow (the Chinese publishers may have even shouldered the burden of translation costs), but the Chinese release did impact how the in-game economy worked, as I believe the token/prize/cash cycle came as a result of rules for depicting gambling.

If Shenmue IV happens maybe they should just make the game without a proper Chinese release in mind, but still provide Chinese subs to embrace the grey market of imported copies and people using VPNs to access digital storefronts.

Thanks for the link. I understand they'll be announcing 6 new games.

So far, I've found every show this year to be a complete yawnfest (minus the PlayStation showcase).
I felt PlayStation was very good, considering it was apparent they held back a *lot*. We didn't see exclusives or reveals from Bend, Naughty Dog, Bluepoint, Firestrike, or several other first party studios.

We didn't see FFXVI(also exclusive), among other third party titles.

Rumor has it they have a MASSIVE PS Experience akin to the days of old in December, so there's a possibility of Shenmue IV appearing there if they go for 2015 levels of bombs, since we still haven't seen FFVII-R Episode II.

Shenmue still does have its fanbase and it appearing might frustrate some naysayers, but it would solidfy Sony as the go-to console of niche, dedicated fanbases for certain franchises.

I love your enthusiasm and optimism guys, but can't help feeling that Shenmue 4 is not going to be announced at any of these events... ever. I'm not saying the game won't ever happen, but if it does, I'm expecting YsNet (or whoever their publisher will be) to just drop an announcement and/or trailer themselves.

I love your enthusiasm and optimism guys, but can't help feeling that Shenmue 4 is not going to be announced at any of these events... ever. I'm not saying the game won't ever happen, but if it does, I'm expecting YsNet (or whoever their publisher will be) to just drop an announcement and/or trailer themselves.
Magic Monaco 2022 ;)

All joking aside its not out of the realms that it could crop up there.

Magic Monaco would actually make a lot of sense as a potential venue for a teaser given Shibuya Productions/Cedric's strong relationship with Yu Suzuki and Shenmue.

Their next event is 26-27 February. 👀

Magic Monaco would actually make a lot of sense as a potential venue for a teaser given Shibuya Productions/Cedric's strong relationship with Yu Suzuki and Shenmue.

Their next event is 26-27 February. 👀
They announce Yu Suzuki is there I'll be booking the flight lol

My heart skipped a beat reading this because my brain didn't pick up on the implied "If" at first. :eek: God I really hope he's there, even if it's only for the anime.
To be fair that's my fault

Probably wasn't a huge financial blow (the Chinese publishers may have even shouldered the burden of translation costs), but the Chinese release did impact how the in-game economy worked, as I believe the token/prize/cash cycle came as a result of rules for depicting gambling.

If Shenmue IV happens maybe they should just make the game without a proper Chinese release in mind, but still provide Chinese subs to embrace the grey market of imported copies and people using VPNs to access digital storefronts.
There was a Chinese translation for the Hong Kong release, so I think S3 had the grey market covered.

I think it is a good sign that Cedric still has the Shenmue 3 tweet pinned from January 2018 and that he still retweets Shenmue related stuff. He was a large reason we have a Shenmue 3 and I think if he had no hope for a Shenmue 4, he wouldn’t be doing that. Maybe it is just to keep the name out there but hopefully it is a sign to us waiting for any confirmation.

I think it is a good sign that Cedric still has the Shenmue 3 tweet pinned from January 2018 and that he still retweets Shenmue related stuff. He was a large reason we have a Shenmue 3 and I think if he had no hope for a Shenmue 4, he wouldn’t be doing that. Maybe it is just to keep the name out there but hopefully it is a sign to us waiting for any confirmation.
He went through a period of not being as active with the Shenmue retweets. Last couple of months he's been doing it more.

Not that it's confirmation of anything but it shows he's still invested in the series, which can only be a good thing for us.

Hey, probably not, but why not?

And.... it's this.

*sad trombone*
Is this a mobile game? If so then didn't they learn their lesson from the last one they did?

Cedric just gave a short presentation to MonacoNow about his company Shibuya Productions. Shenmue 3 features here.

The production company still seems to be proud of Shenmue 3 as one of their achievements...which can only be a good sign.

Not bad for a "dEaD fRaNcHiSe!!!1".

Back