Premiering February 5th 2022 + New Trailer

I need Tom and Shozo Mizuki in the anime.

Shozo Mizuki is one of the best characters in Shenmue in my opinion, one of my favorite characters in the first game.

163392.png

I think releasing the episodes weekly is a smart move; keeps Shenmue in the public concisousness for a longer period rather than binging and burning brightly for a week or so. Easier to promote 13 weeks of episodes than one week of 13 episodes.

I'm genuinely surprised at the positive repsonse so far, so I feel quite confident this is going to do well!

English is not my first language and for that perhaps I can't value some dubs properly, but the dubs of the games were always great to me. (Even japanese people played with the dub in US Shenmue) There are only two games of japanese companies that I play in both languages because I like dub and original equally, and those are Shenmue saga and Final Fantasy X.

The only bad thing in this to me is the aussence of Corey and company, but well, we have an anime that looks fantastic so I think we must be happy.

Ok, I'm crying with those videos but I'm sure that the intention of those NPC voices was to make us laugh xD.
Yeah, me personally i love and prefer playing the Shenmue games in the English dub. The cheesiness gives the NPCs personality and character, which makes them more memorable and loveable. I don't get the same feeling in the Japanese dub from the same NPCs.

Here's an excellent breakdown from Magnus on the Japanese trailer. It does look like Ryo's scar is given to him by Lan Di, which i think is awesome, especially if it bleeds more as he seeks revenge further. This is all speculation, but it seems to be going that way

What if Ryo does fight Lan Di on the rooftop so they can wrap it up in 1 season if they need too 👀

If the fight happens on the rooftop I don't think there will be any closure, with the information we got so far the anime will probably cover Guilin as well, if this fight happens it will probably end with Ryo losing and Lan Di escaping in the helicopter.

In my opinion is not the right path to go to wrap it up the Shenmue story in just one season like this.

I prefer to believe that the anime will be a success and we will get 2 more seasons, that we will get a nice closure in the anime and in the games, this is what i wish for the Shenmue franchise.

Heh, I'm sure that's how it will go Hiki, I was just stirring the pot.

In the very first trailer there's a shot of Shenhua in Bailu Village and it's the same area seen in Shenmue 3 (the rice fields) so I'm sure it will play out similar.

In fact I was pretty relieved to see Don Niu in the key art, was worried he might get the cut but I need to see the 'like a polished mirror' scene in the anime as I think that's my favourite scene across all three games 😍

English is not my first language and for that perhaps I can't value some dubs properly, but the dubs of the games were always great to me. (Even japanese people played with the dub in US Shenmue) There are only two games of japanese companies that I play in both languages because I like dub and original equally, and those are Shenmue saga and Final Fantasy X.

The only bad thing in this to me is the aussence of Corey and company, but well, we have an anime that looks fantastic so I think we must be happy.

Ok, I'm crying with those videos but I'm sure that the intention of those NPC voices was to make us laugh xD.
I played both games in English, and never had experienced Japanese before the rereleases. Yes, there are some very bad and awkward NPCs and such, but I throughout enjoyed the main cast, especially Paul Lucas and Eric Kelso's characters.

I played both games in English, and never had experienced Japanese before the rereleases. Yes, there are some very bad and awkward NPCs and such, but I throughout enjoyed the main cast, especially Paul Lucas and Eric Kelso's characters.
The shenmue 2 main cast is awesome! Even Xiuying, I think the stoic voice suits her character and I can't see her with another voice haha. And I'm in a very VERY small minority here but I like Shenhuas voice in 2, it sounds very gentle and easygoing. Although I will say Ryo's in game dialogue in the first half of the game sounds incredible monotone compared to Shen 1 for whatever reason. Idk why that is lol

Heh, I'm sure that's how it will go Hiki, I was just stirring the pot.

In the very first trailer there's a shot of Shenhua in Bailu Village and it's the same area seen in Shenmue 3 (the rice fields) so I'm sure it will play out similar.

In fact I was pretty relieved to see Don Niu in the key art, was worried he might get the cut but I need to see the 'like a polished mirror' scene in the anime as I think that's my favourite scene across all three games 😍
I can just imagine how hyped you were when they showed virtua fighter in the arcade :)

I like the English dub of S1 for nostalgic reasons, but because I played S2 in Japanese first (like many of us), I just don't think of S2's dub in the same way. It doesn't help that it's worse than the first game's and came out 2 years later -- by then I'd heard actual good VO in a video game.

I've been soft-promoting the anime to friends. Most of their reactions are "I'd give that a go" 👌 That's the benefit of anime: 22mins or whatever, super low time investment, you can usually watch it for "free" (even if it's with ads), and it looks modern and slick.

Looks amazing. I really hope the cut content from the story is included (boat chapter, etc) and if we get as far as the events of the third game, hopefully the story we got in that game will be expanded on. Flesh Chai, Niao Sun and Yangling out more! Then I can just train my brain to accept that as the real story for Shenmue 3.

He specifies in the comments that he wasnt asked to play Ryo in the anime. It makes sense given anime is a different beast. Production companies probably have their go-to VAs for anime, just like game studios do. Look at it this way: has Corey ever done an anime? I'm not sure he has? While I believe the JP Ryo has played other popular characters in anime. Makes sense to me.

Back