Sonic the Hedgehog thread

Little skill or effort.... I dont speak for them but im many developers would take issue with that comment.

It's like me walking into your place of work, knowing nothing about what you do, seeing a piece of work and saying 'that's easy, little effort required here'.

I'm not qualified to critique the skill gone into it because I don't do your job.

The end product, how it is presented, plays etc is fair game. But to say their game development lacks skill is just disrespectful in my book.
Not when you go through their recent games (near all of them) and see how poor they are. You don't need to be a chef to know when you've been served bad food. If you do something poorly where others consistently do it well, you lack the skill to do it right. Sonic Team overall are poor developers.

Not when you go through their recent games (near all of them) and see how poor they are. You don't need to be a chef to know when you've been served bad food. If you do something poorly where others consistently do it well, you lack the skill to do it right. Sonic Team overall are poor developers.

I'm not the biggest fan of their output over the years either but I don't think its fair to talk down Sonic Team in this manner.
A poor game is subjective at the end of the day and if I don't like something, I'll just move on. I don't feel I need to berate the developers for something I feel isn't for me.

Last edited:
Whats the type of Sonic people wants? What's the mirror Sonic team should look at? Sonic Generations?

A Sonic I would like I think would be pretty close to the Adventure games, only it would be even more reliant on physics and gaining momentum, etc. without as much need for stuff like boost pads or even springs. Ideally combat wouldn’t really be much of a thing other than the bosses, and more like Unleashed or Advanced 2 it should really be built around speed as well and different things that can be done with it.

Now, I thought what little I’d played if Lost World was alright, kinda interesting (until I saw later parts which were just no bueno), but from what I’ve seen of the stuff in this game it’s like they’re trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. Kinda exactly what I thought might happen with Sega deciding to just plop a fast paced character into your average open world without much thought put to how gameplay would work and what people might expect from a Sonic game. A SotC style robot might be cool and all on its own, never mind they already sorta did this boss in 06 but kinda better, but it just looks so incredibly time consuming to deal with it here. I’d much rather have to maybe learn the layout of the world to either try and catch up with something or maybe avoid some predator ourselves, just as an example, that would end up using Sonic’s speed to its full potential as well as your memorization of things like cliffs or traps or whatnot. There’s far more interesting stuff that could be done.

In your view but you can't say they lack skill to get the game working and running and working. That's just disingenuous and clearly trying to get the last word.

Also your analogy... I get it but that doesn't qualify you to comment on assumptions behind the scenes around how that made its way to you. Food is subjective (unless it's clearly dire, Kitchen Knightmare style) like everything. How do you know that the restaurant manager doesn't force the food out even if it is substandard despite protestations from the kitchen? You then generalise that everyone doesn't have the skill, where they might be handcuffed. You don't know the circumstances of this or what Sonic Team are working in.

Last edited:
Anyone check out the latest IGN video/article? https://www.ign.com/articles/sonic-frontiers-preview

He goes over a bit more of the gameplay loop, combat, and progression. I feel like I would have rather just had this video than the other two, cause they didn't really showcase the game very well. He also mentions there are indeed individual levels you can unlock from the open world with their own set of challenges, so I like the idea of bouncing back and forth depending on how I feel.

I still like the general idea of the game and hope it sticks the landing. I really just want platforming to be a big part of the formula again, so hopefully they get close with this one. I think unless it's a complete failure we have to assume that they'll be able to learn a bit from this game and use it as the formula for a more polished sequel.

Last edited:
For anyone that hasn't already seen/read/heard, the doritos guy has been teasing Sonic Frontiers for Summer Game Fest tomorrow. Here's a page with the time and a link to the stream if you want to watch it. Personally I prefer to wait for the individual game trailers to be uploaded right after instead of watching these events.

I feel like the only person in the world who actually liked what I saw, likes the sound of the game and is looking forward to it. I never really understood where this sort of culture of bandwagon jumping, circle jerk, hate-wanking over and piling on things that aren't even out yet comes from. It seems like a fairly recent phenomenon from the last few years. It's like every gets excited and hyped about deciding what will be "the next big disaster" and that they want things to fail. It's bizarre.

Then again, I have enjoyed all the 3D Sonic games (bar 06 and Heroes), regardless of their flaws, so maybe I'm a bit biased.

I feel like the only person in the world who actually liked what I saw, likes the sound of the game and is looking forward to it. I never really understood where this sort of culture of bandwagon jumping, circle jerk, hate-wanking over and piling on things that aren't even out yet comes from. It seems like a fairly recent phenomenon from the last few years. It's like every gets excited and hyped about deciding what will be "the next big disaster" and that they want things to fail. It's bizarre.

Then again, I have enjoyed all the 3D Sonic games (bar 06 and Heroes), regardless of their flaws, so maybe I'm a bit biased.
I agree, I’m actually really looking forward to playing frontiers! I’m keeping my opinion of it pretty neutral until I actually have a chance to play it through, and then see whether or not it’s a success or a failure as a sonic game. The internet seems like a pretty bad space for modern gaming in recent years, it can really put a damper on games and the companies that might be trying out new ideas.

People holding a “neutral” opinion on games until they’ve already bought them is exactly why so many games these days are not up to par…but if you’re fine with Sega’s track record for Sonic since they dropped out of making consoles, more power to you.

I’m usually not too picky about games, and I’ve played quite a few modern sonic games that I really enjoyed. Forces was quite disappointing since it was such a small game, but the gameplay that was there was polished and pretty unproblematic. Even if Frontiers has problems, I feel like there will be aspects that I will enjoy, and I’m willing to give it a chance before I write it off altogether. And I honestly don’t think having a neutral opinion about something before you’ve even tried it is what is making games seemingly more lousy, but that’s just my opinion.

Gamers are the whingiest fucking whingebags in the whole world. All the gaming community does is bloody whine and whinge and moan about everything. You'd think video games were actually important, like political issues. Are we talking about the cost of living crisis? Government corruption? Poverty? Economic austerity? War? Oh wait, no, it's just video games.

No offence, BloodyHeartland, I'm not singling you out, I'm talking more generally. I will stay neutral until the game is out and I can watch footage of the final game and hear/read people's impressions and make a more informed decision. I don't buy any game blind. Moving on though, all social media and forums are full of is people whinging and moaning, and it's honestly utterly boring. Today's big topic is The Last of Us remake. "Why do they have to remake it?", "No thanks, they already ruined these games with the sequel", "lol just wait for the remaster of the remake in a few years time. Developers are so lazy selling us the same game for full price".

Here's a novel concept: Don't like something, then don't buy it. Concentrate on the things you do like 🤷‍♂️

I'm just past the point of caring about video games politics and drama. I buy a handful of new games each year, buy what I like, don't buy what I don't like and that's it.

As for 3D Sonic, I liked Sonic Unleashed (Sonic stages were fun as hell, Werehog stages weren't great), Sonic Colours is good, Sonic Generations is amazing, Sonic Lost World had enjoyable moments and Sonic Forces played fine but the levels were just too short and it was clear it had a low budget. None of these are bad games, they're just flawed games.

Ngl, imo it's a bit sad the fact that a lot of hate spreaded here in the pre release of Sonic Frontiers reminds me at the pre release of S3. And the hate didnt stop when it was released, doesnt matter what S3 do. I think it's gonna happen the same. It doesnt matter what Sonic Frontiers has to offer, it's destiny is already sealed.

Why is this not an official thing? Why do Sega only release low effort remakes?

Looks cool. Although, to play devil's advocate: The animations are too stiff making Sonic run at slow speed. Also the embossed look ruins the 16bit aesthetic.

copy/paste quotes for grins:

"You can just tell from the animations alone that it's not going to be a good game. No self-respecting, half-decent developer would release such a trailer."

"...little skill and or effort went into this game."

NOT BEING HYPBOLIC OR ANYTHING THOUGH JUST MY HONEST DOGSHIT OPINION WITHOUT ACTUALLY PLAYING ANYTHING OR ANY PROGRAMMING KNOWLEDGE

...ad nauseam for most toxic fabases; already made their decision. Even an amazing game they'll want to hate and too stubborn to accept.

Very excited for how well Sonic Origins has looked thus far, which brings true widescreen in a native port rather than letterbox/stretched emulation--all without ruining the visuals. Don't even care if Sonic 3 music has changed--pretty sure they're remaking songs with literal Mega Drive sound chips :D

Sonic Frontiers looks nice, I like the relaxing open exploration. Hearch about the Unleashed/Generations linear stages too, which sound good!

Forums and the internet as a whole are for discussion. If you want a circle jerk, maybe stay off the internet? Trying to claim anyone with legitimate criticism is “whining” just goes to show how much of a hypocrite you are and I’m not going to apologize for having standards for entertainment I spend my own hard earned money on. Indie games, niche studios, that’s one thing. Companies like Sega and Pokemon have all the funds they could ever want and yet they decide to often take the cheapest routes and are surprised whenever they face anyone calling them out on it.

Forums and the internet as a whole are for discussion. If you want a circle jerk, maybe stay off the internet? Trying to claim anyone with legitimate criticism is “whining” just goes to show how much of a hypocrite you are and I’m not going to apologize for having standards for entertainment I spend my own hard earned money on. Indie games, niche studios, that’s one thing. Companies like Sega and Pokemon have all the funds they could ever want and yet they decide to often take the cheapest routes and are surprised whenever they face anyone calling them out on it.
Agreed. And it's funny, because if it wasn't for people complaining, Sonic in the Sonic movies would still look hideous and the movies wouldn't have been anywhere near as popular as they have been.

Obviously there are some people out there that just love to complain about things and will trash something just because they can, but I believe the majority just want a good product. I have said this before, but I very rarely have the same problems with Sonic games that others have, but what they have shown of this game so far just looks really off.

Back