110 Industries & Yu Suzuki

Right now, Sony is the primary choice tonurtured, encourage and grow a company in their first party. They've proven themselves time and again.

They have a keen eye for new talent as well, with things like Kena, Sifu and especially Stray, which is not only very good for an indie, but a strong GOTY contender, imo.

It's highly unlikely they would buy out Sega, but it'd be the best choice IF it ever happened.

Right now, Sony is the primary choice tonurtured, encourage and grow a company in their first party. They've proven themselves time and again.

They have a keen eye for new talent as well, with things like Kena, Sifu and especially Stray, which is not only very good for an indie, but a strong GOTY contender, imo.

It's highly unlikely they would buy out Sega, but it'd be the best choice IF it ever happened.

Yeah Sony was my first choice as well but I didn't mention them cause I honestly don't think it'll ever happen. It's a shame cause it would be very beneficial for both sides.

None of the big dogs are putting millions of dollars into a Shenmue 4 exclusive. It’s getting made the same way, on a fairly modest budget, the last one was made, hopefully with a little more belief from whoever is in charge. I think 110/Deep Silver is the best we can hope for until Ys Net or Yu Suzuki can prove something more than niche appeal.

I think we'd actually see less of these franchises if Microsoft bought Sega.
Yes. Phil Spencer had the opportunity to make Shenmue 3 happen and wasn’t interested, despite pleas from the fans. Fair enough, he felt it would detract from first party game funding but i wouldn’t imagine things (regarding Shenmue) would be significantly more positive if Sega were owned by Xbox.

Why would Microsoft want to back the third sequel to an old game, especially after 3 didn’t do tremendously (sales/reviews)? I have no idea why Phil Spencer would have any concern about the series either. Sega’s pretty clearly putting all their money into online gaming in the next few years, so maybe we’ll see Ryo in a Sega game but it won’t be Shenmue…

I’m all for hope, but I have to keep myself grounded. There’s just no incentive. A fledgling new publisher or weird publisher like Deep Silver? I get that.

None of the big dogs are putting millions of dollars into a Shenmue 4 exclusive. It’s getting made the same way, on a fairly modest budget, the last one was made, hopefully with a little more belief from whoever is in charge. I think 110/Deep Silver is the best we can hope for until Ys Net or Yu Suzuki can prove something more than niche appeal.

Deep Silver is probably already out, the financial report with the "Shenmue 3 is niche game" was their farewell to the series.
Also they did some damage with that phrase, it's difficult that a new publisher will try to approach the series after that statement...

Our last hope is 110, but it seems their social community manager were just making fun of desperate shenmue fans...

If Sony had Shawn Layden, we could still had a chance with them for Shenmue 4, but with Jim Ryan I'd say it's impossible.

It seems we are on our own again.

Has this not been announced yet? My first kid hadn't even been born when Shenmue 3 was announced. I now have two kids and at this rate they will have gone to college and moved out of home by the time Shenmue 4 is announced.
I know this feeling. I was 12 when Shenmue came out. Now, I have 2 kids older than that and I'm still waiting to finish this story.

Deep Silver is probably already out, the financial report with the "Shenmue 3 is niche game" was their farewell to the series.
Also they did some damage with that phrase, it's difficult that a new publisher will try to approach the series after that statement...

Mh, pretty sure almost nobody saw any real potential in the series in the first place.
Otherwise why did it take that long to even make Shenmue 3.
Sega wasnt interested, Microsoft wasnt interested, Sony wasnt interested in funding the whole thing,
Yu Suzuki had to get help just to promote a Kickstarter campaign.
Those are not signs for a popular IP (from the publisher side).

The only way to turn this around from indie / AA into a upgraded succesor / series
would have been a super awesome rated Shenmue 3 and sales numbers through the roof.
Then Deep Silver would have probably agreed to keep going /
or it would have been way easier for Ys Net to find help elsewhere.

So i dont think that Deep Silver statements did any real damage,
the game IP popularity is probably exaclty where it was between Shenmue 2 and Shenmue 3.
If we take Deep Silver out of this whole scenario,
we would have gotten the original Kickstarter game with no further delays for any other polish
and no budget boost. Before Deep Silver came on board,
Yu Suzuki commented that he wasnt even sure if all NPCs are going to be voiced.

So then even if that would have been a bigger success as a Kickstarter only game for fans,
it would still be a super small and cheap project for hardcore fans only with probably no worldwide physical release at all.
So would that attract more big publishers? I doubt it.
They would still have to figure out how to make Shenmue 4 next somehow.
Possibly even without the helping promoting hand from Sony because as we know
these original PS guys arent working for PS anymore.

It was never realistic to think that suddenly Square Enix, Capcom, Bandai Namco or whatever calls
Ys Net for a cooperation offer. If that would have been a realistic choice,
then there never would have been a Kickstarter campaign.

With YSNET still open and working there's always a chance

I agree with @spud1897 when I give it some serious thought maybe Yu is working on other projects to increase YSNet bankroll to probably self fund the majority of the project. Yu stated in a article sometime back that he will collaborate with Sega and work on a few projects.

We may have to take another mini hiatus to get to Shenmue 4(another 3-4 years). If Shenmue 4 is a reality I hope YSNet uses its funds and does Kickstarter to send the series out with a bang. Yu said he would never give up so let's support him and all his future projects Shenmue fate depends on it.

I think that it is pretty realistic to get help from a company like 110 Industries.
That is not as unrealistic as suddenly Microsoft, Sony, Square, Capcom, Konami whatever
funding Shenmue 4. If that would have been a possibility from the start,
then why are we even here in this stage now?
But same thing again, 110 Industries will not be able to make this into some kind of
blockbuster AAA main stage experience. A 110 Industries Shenmue 4 will probably stay
in the exact same budget frame as Shenmue 3,
just with the difference that 110 Industries willl probably not be able
to do promotion stuff at Gamescom, Summer Games Fest etc.
Deep Silver belongs to the biggest european distributor for games and movies.
110 Industries wont be able to get Yu Suzuki to Gamescom or make fan playtests and sponsored magazine stuff.
So keep that in mind. It wouldnt be a great idea to start a 110 Industries announcement
with the mindset of now everything is going to be great, limitless, big and awesome.
In terms of a promotion campaign overall, a 110 Industries S4 will be probably even quieter
than the S3 campaign.
If you want the mainstage hyper boom promotion experience and that 60-90 mil USD polish that reaches everyone,
then we have to upgrade to a publisher way above our level.

Any publisher who jumps on at this point knows exactly the sort of sales performance they can expect. I can see why DS went to gamescom and did those PR stunts as they wanted the game to be a breakout hit on a shoestring budget that already has a big chunk of development funded by the fandom. You can tell this was never a passion project for Deep Silver but a way to try and make a quick and easy profit on the back of the Kickstarter success. There was no excusing those old character renders slapped on promo materials, just a real lack of care and attention. When Epic came a knocking with a bag of money they probably walked away with a profit before release day... Again can't blame em but they soured the fanbase as far as the pc version goes

I am 110% happy with Shenmue being a lower budget AA franchise because let's face it at this point in the game if Shenmue was going to be a breakout success it would've happened already. Make a quality game and the fans and reviews will shift copies for you.

I think that it is pretty realistic to get help from a company like 110 Industries.
That is not as unrealistic as suddenly Microsoft, Sony, Square, Capcom, Konami whatever
funding Shenmue 4. If that would have been a possibility from the start,
then why are we even here in this stage now?
But same thing again, 110 Industries will not be able to make this into some kind of
blockbuster AAA main stage experience. A 110 Industries Shenmue 4 will probably stay
in the exact same budget frame as Shenmue 3,
just with the difference that 110 Industries willl probably not be able
to do promotion stuff at Gamescom, Summer Games Fest etc.
Deep Silver belongs to the biggest european distributor for games and movies.
110 Industries wont be able to get Yu Suzuki to Gamescom or make fan playtests and sponsored magazine stuff.
So keep that in mind. It wouldnt be a great idea to start a 110 Industries announcement
with the mindset of now everything is going to be great, limitless, big and awesome.
In terms of a promotion campaign overall, a 110 Industries S4 will be probably even quieter
than the S3 campaign.
If you want the mainstage hyper boom promotion experience and that 60-90 mil USD polish that reaches everyone,
then we have to upgrade to a publisher way above our level.

Yu could probably ask Sony to feature Shenmue during their digital presentation for exclusivity rights again.

well be nice if they do something soon. I think I'm gonna finally do another playthrough of 1 and 2.

I get someone heard from a Deep Silver insider that they’d never release S4, but I find it odd their social media still frequently tweets about Shenmue 3 if that’s the case. I’m not so certain about that either.

Back