What Movie Are You Watching?

Yeti - Giant of the 20th Century: I have a spot on my movie shelf dedicated to giant ape films. Right next to that is a spot for Bigfoot films. That being said, I don’t know where to place this movie, because the Yeti in the film is as big as damn King Kong.

I enjoyed the hell out of this. I try (VERY hard) to stay away from that ironic “it’s so bad it’s good” mentality that a lot of people have when it comes to corny cult films. Instead, I rationalize that I like these kinds of movies because I grew up with them. That’s what I tell myself anyway.

Unlike other Bigfoot movies from this era, where the human drama is both over-abundant and boring as hell (I love Night of the Demon, but it’s way too slow), Yeti moves at a crazy fast pace. And all of it is absolutely ridiculous, from the special effects to the story and acting. But it all comes together to make this absolute gem of a King Kong rip-off.

@danielmann861 - I plan to do my top 10 film list this weekend, but suffice to say that 2 of your top 10 are in mine. Of your other flms, one i'm currently watching and won't make it (along with another two) and one I plan to watch on Friday.

I'll do a top 10, 10 bubbling under and also all other films that made 4/5. I'll be cheating a little in that one of my films is technically a late 2021 release, but I had no means to watch it until February, so think it'll count!

@danielmann861 - I plan to do my top 10 film list this weekend, but suffice to say that 2 of your top 10 are in mine. Of your other flms, one i'm currently watching and won't make it (along with another two) and one I plan to watch on Friday.

I'll do a top 10, 10 bubbling under and also all other films that made 4/5. I'll be cheating a little in that one of my films is technically a late 2021 release, but I had no means to watch it until February, so think it'll count!

Curious to see it when you do post it.

I haven't seen a single new film this year, the first time since I can remember (probably 3 years old) that I haven't seen a new release. A baby will do that to your viewing schedule :(

One of my favourite times of the year is collating my favourite films of the year (although #2 was released last October, I couldn't see it in the cinema until February). If nothing else, it allows me to have on record what meant a lot to me. Despite the tedious rise of superhero films (I like them, but not to the expense of everything else) and streaming, every year is a good year for cinema!

*late 2021 release

So without further ado...

1) Belle / Mamoru Hosoda
2) Drive My Car* / Ryûsuke Hamaguchi
3) Moonage Daydream / Brett Morgen
4) Everything Everywhere All At Once / Dan Kwan & Daniel Scheinert
5) RRR / S. S. Rajamouli
6) Licorice Pizza / Paul Thomas Anderson
7) Top Gun: Maverick / Jospeh Kosinski
8) Nightmare Alley / Guillermo Del Toro
9) X / Ti West
10) The Batman / Matt Reeves

Honourable mentions in order

1) Explorer / Matthew Dyas
2) Amsterdam / David O. Russell
3) Elvis / Baz Luhrmann
4) Pinnochio / Guillermo Del Toro & Mark Gustafson
5) Three Thousand Years of Longing / George Miller
6) Memoria / Apichatpong Weerasethakul
7) Sonic the Hedgehog 2 / Jeff Fowler
8) Petite Maman* / Céline Sciamma
9) Parallel Mothers / Pedro Almodóvar
10) Bones and All / Luca Guadagnino

I also arrogantly recommend (in no order)

1) Spiderman: No Way Home* / Jon Watts
2) Belfast / Kenneth Branagh
3) The Northman / Robert Eggers
4) Cannon Arm and the Arcade Quest / Mads Hedegaard
5) This Much I Know To Be True / Andrew Dominik
6) Love Like the Falling Petals / Yoshihiro Fukagawa
7) The Banshees of Inisherin / Martin McDonagh
8) Cow / Andrea Arnold
9) Decision to Leave / Park Chan-Wook
10) The Souvenir Part II / Joanna Hogg
11) Living / Oliver Hermanus
12) Armageddon Time / James Gray
13) She Said / Maria Schrader
14) The Worst Person in the World / Joachim Trier
15) Is That Black Enough For You?!? / Elvis Mitchell
16) Vortex / Gaspar Noé
17) One Second / Yimou Zhang

Shittiest films of the year (no order)

1-3) All Phase 4 Marvel films / Sam Raimi, Taika Waititi & Ryan Coogler
4) Both Sides of the Blade / Claire Denis
5) Drifting Home / Hiroyasu Ishida

One of my favourite times of the year is collating my favourite films of the year (although #2 was released last October, I couldn't see it in the cinema until February). If nothing else, it allows me to have on record what meant a lot to me. Despite the tedious rise of superhero films (I like them, but not to the expense of everything else) and streaming, every year is a good year for cinema!

*late 2021 release

So without further ado...

1) Belle / Mamoru Hosoda
2) Drive My Car* / Ryûsuke Hamaguchi
3) Moonage Daydream / Brett Morgen
4) Everything Everywhere All At Once / Dan Kwan & Daniel Scheinert
5) RRR / S. S. Rajamouli
6) Licorice Pizza / Paul Thomas Anderson
7) Top Gun: Maverick / Jospeh Kosinski
8) Nightmare Alley / Guillermo Del Toro
9) X / Ti West
10) The Batman / Matt Reeves

I actually have Drive My Car here on Criterion Blu....still haven't watched it yet. I should get around to that over the Christmas break.

Also haven't seen Belle yet, but curious to check it out.

3 on here that I have seen and overlap with my list (I see which ones you meant now.)

I still haven't seen Top Gun. I don't know. I just never cared much for the original and haven't been assed to check it out despite the overwhelming positive reaction it's had.

I forgot about Nightmare Alley. Not in a bad forgettable way, just moreso I forgot it came out this year. Another one that I've had sitting on my drive and haven't gotten around to yet.

X was pretty good. I liked that a lot. Would have made my list, but Rageaholic kind of took its place.

I wish I liked The Batman more than I did. I just kind of thought it was a 3 hour slog that didn't know when to end. But that's just me. I'm in the minority on that opinion as everyone else seems to love that film.

Good list, man. Some of them I still need to get around to. Might do so during the Christmas break. Especially Drive My Car and Belle.

Would you believe I still haven't seen either of the Sonic movies? I know they've gotten positive response. I actually should get around to both of them. Especially since I'm nearing the end of my Sonic Frontiers play through. That game really reignited my love for Sonic.

Last edited:
I actually have Drive My Car here on Criterion Blu....still haven't watched it yet. I should get around to that over the Christmas break.

Also haven't see Belle yet, but curious to check it out.

3 on here that I have seen and overlap with my list (I see which ones you meant now.)

I still haven't seen Top Gun. I don't know. I just never cared much for the original and haven't been assed to check it out despite the overwhelming positive reaction it's had.

I forgot about Nightmare Alley. Not in a bad forgettable way, just moreso I forgot it came out this year. Another one that I've had sitting on my drive and haven't gotten around to yet.

X was pretty good. I liked that a lot. Would have made my list, but Rageaholic kind of took its place.

I wish I liked The Batman more than I did. I just kind of thought it was a 3 hour slog that didn't know when to end. But that's just me. I'm in the minority on that opinion as everyone else seems to love that film.

Good list, man. Some of them I still need to get around to. Might do so during the Christmas break. Especially Drive My Car and Belle.

Would you believe I still haven't seen either of the Sonic movies? I know they've gotten positive response. I actually should get around to both of them. Especially since I'm nearing the end of my Sonic Frontiers play through. That game really reignited my love for Sonic.
I don't remember watching the original Top Gun, and I still say Maverick is so worth it. It's a tour de force as a movie experience as I don't think there is anything quite like it put to film. And I tend to detest aviation focused war movies.

mortal kombat (2021) & spiderman no way home.

mortal kombat was ok. it wasn't really my sort of film.. mortal kombat seemed like it was aimed at kids..but spiderman no way home was entertaining. i'm not really big on all these marvel superhero movies, i couldn't really get into the Avengers films but the spiderman and dr strange ones are good.

white noise (netflix 2022) was pure nonsense.

it's filmed like a cool spielberg 1980s movie but the story is pointless. with the movie being about a train crash/chemical spill causing mass panic, i thought the film would be like super8 (2011) but it wasn't.. it's kinda like a movie about covid and a husband and wife having a midlife crisis. i don't understand how these movies get green lit and others get cancelled.

after finishing the tv series stargate sg1 (streaming), i had to find the last 2 movies they made on dvd, which finished the stargate sg1 story.

the movies are: stargate the ark of truth and stargate continuum.

both are good films, clearly made for the fans. the 2 movies tie up loose endings with the series baddies. my only complaint would be the last movie, stargate continuum, ending doesn't have the emotional punch as the ending from the tv series had.. having said that, i would love to see more stargate shows, in any form. i think the fan base is still quite strong.

- i did buy both dvd factory sealed but unfortunately, the stargate continuum dvd disc had a manufacturing error and it had a few tiny air bubbles trapped in the disc.. so that didn't play 100% :rolleyes: ( for me, it's just another reason to ditch physical dvds)

Last edited:
M3GAN (2023) - Imagine a feminine take on Child's Play 2019 and you pretty much have M3GAN. My review below.

i saw Everything Everywhere All At Once (amazon).

i don't know what to think. it was kinda Genius in places. i like the ides of tapping into multiple universes and i quite liked how they gave the kung fu a sense of meaning.. i mean sometimes modern kung fu / karate films are pretty boring because the good guy can effortlessly beat everyone up. the film went a bit B movie half way through by the end it was just a surrealist movie.
im glad Ke Huy Quan got his comeback big break in this film but i couldnt help thinking how jackie chan would of played his roll ( he turned it down)

it's one of those films where you see the trailer it better then the film lol.

So here's another list of films. I felt a bit down because no matter how much I watch, I can't seem to keep up. In a way, it's rather wonderful to have so much good stuff, but sometimes it feels like work. Anything in bold is highly recommended. I'm sorry I don't have the time to go into detail, but please do enquire if you'd like some context and i'll reply tomorrow :)

New films watched

1) Challenge of the Masters / Liu Chia-Liang / 1976 / 3/5
2) The Gestapo’s Last Orgy / Cesare Canevari / 1977 / 3/5
3) Chicago Syndicate / Fred F. Sears / 1955 / 2/5
4) Bones And All / Luca Guadagnino / 2022 / 4/5
5) Pleasure / Ninja Thyberg / 2021 / 3/5
6) She Said / Maria Schrader / 2022 / 4/5
7) The Worst Person in the World / Joachim Trier / 2021 / 4/5
8) Troy / Wolfgang Petersen / 2004 / 2.5/5
9) Is That Black Enough For You?!? / Elvis Mitchell / 2022 / 4/5
10) Violent Night / Tommy Wirkola / 2022 / 2.5/5
11) Bergman Island / Mia Hansen-Love / 2021 / 2/5
12) Guillermo Del Toro’s Pinocchio / Guillermo Del Toro & Mark Gustafson / 2022 / 4/5
13) The Brothers Rico / Phil Karlson / 1957 / 2/5
14) Vortex / Gaspar Noé / 2021 / 4/5
15) Both Sides of the Blade / Claire Denis / 2022 / 1/5
16) Night After Night / Archie Mayo / 1932 / 3/5
17) The Muppet Christmas Carol / Brian Henson / 1992 / 4/5
18) RRR / S.S. Rajamouli / 2022 / 5/5
19) One Second / Zhang Yimou / 2020 / 4/5
20) She Done Him Wrong / Lowell Sherman / 1933 / 2/5
21) Avatar: The Way of Water / James Cameron / 2022 / 4/5
22) The Bishop’s Wife / Henry Koster / 1947 / 4/5
23) Oklahoma! / Fred Zinnemann / 1955 / 1/5
24) Executioners From Shaolin / Liu Chia-Liang / 1977 / 3/5
25) I Wanna Dance With Somebody / Kasi Lemmons / 2022 / 3/5
26) Coffy / Jack Hill / 1973 / 3/5
27) Midway / Jack Smight / 1976 / 3/5
28) I’m No Angel / Wesley Ruggles / 1933 / 3/5
29) Chinatown Kid / Cheh Chang / 1977 / 3/5
30) Belle of the Nineties / Leo McCarey / 1934 / 2/5
31) The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor / Rob Cohen / 2008 / 1/5
32) Princess Arete / Sunao Katabuchi / 2001 / 3/5
33) Till / Chinonye Chukwu / 2002 / 3/5
34) Grudge Match / Peter Segal / 2013 / 2.5/5
35) Bardo, False Chronicle of a Handful of Truths / Alejandro González Inárritu / 2022 / 4/5
36) A Man Called Otto / Marc Forster / 2022 / 3/5
37) The Five Deadly Venoms / Cheh Chang / 1978 / 3/5
38) The Spiritual Boxer / Liu Chia-Liang / 1975 / 3/5
39) Varda By Agnés / Agnés Varda / 2019 / 4/5
40) Goin’ To Town / Alexander Hall / 1935 / 2/5
41) Aftersun / Charlotte Wells / 2022 / 4/5
42) Empire of Light / Sam Mendes / 2022 / 4/5

43) White Noise / Noah Baumbach / 2022 / 3/5
44) Deathsport / Allan Arkush, Nicholas Niciphor & Roger Corman / 1978 / 2/5
45) Klondike Annie / Raoul Walsh / 1936 / 3/5
46) Babylon / Damien Chazelle / 2022 / 4/5
47) The BFG / Steven Spielberg / 2016 / 2.5/5
48) The Chess Players / Satyajit Ray / 1977 / 3/5
49) M3GAN / Gerard Johnstone / 2022 / 3/5
50) Go West Young Man / Henry Hathaway / 1/5
51) Crippled Avengers / Cheh Chang / 1978 / 4/5
52) Lady in Cement / Gordan Douglas / 1968 / 2/5
53) The Fablemans / Steven Spielberg / 2022 / 4.5/5
54) Every Day’s A Holiday / A. Edward Sutherland / 1937 / 3/5

Old films rewatched

1) Heartbreak Ridge / Clint Eastwood / 1986 / 4/5
2) Casablanca / Michael Curtiz / 1942 / 5/5

3) Titanic / James Cameron / 1997 / 4.5/5
4) Bird / Clint Eastwood / 1988 / 3/5
5) Avatar / James Cameron / 2009 / 4/5
6) South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut / Trey Parker / 1999 / 4/5
7) Their Finest / Lone Scherfig / 2016 / 4/5
8) The Shop Around The Corner / Ernst Lubitsch / 1940 / 4/5
9) Die Hard / John McTiernan / 1988 / 5/5
10) It’s A Wonerful Life / Frank Capra / 1946 / 5/5

11) The Mummy / Stephen Sommers / 1999 / 2.5/5
12) Sonic the Hedgehog 2 / Jeff Fowler / 2022 / 4/5
13) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles / Steve Barron / 1990 / 3/5
14) The Mummy Returns / Stephen Sommers / 2001 / 2/5
15) The Place Promised In Our Early Days / Makoto Shinaki / 2004 / 3/5
16) Inside Out / Pete Docter / 2015 / 4/5
17) The Dead Pool / Buddy Van Horn / 1988 / 3/5
18) Speed / Jan DeBont / 1994 / 4/5
19) Pink Cadillac / Buddy Van Horn / 1989 / 3/5
20) As Tears Go By / Wong Kar Wai / 1988 / 4/5
21) Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist / Joey Ansah / 2014 / 2/5
22) The Last Waltz / Martin Scorcese / 1978 / 4/5
23) The Goalie’s Anxiety At The Penalty Kick / Wim Wenders / 1972 / 3/5
24) The Rookie / Clint Eastwood / 1990 / 3/5

Short films

1) From Nurse To Worse / Jules White / 1940 / 3/5
2) A Merry Mix Up / Jules White / 1957 / 3/5
3) Black Narcissus (Passion of the Swamp) / Peter Strickland / 2022 / 4/5
4) She Done Him Right / Walter Lantz / 1933 / 2/5
5) The Merry Old Soul / Walter Lants & William Nolan / 1933 / 2/5
6) U2: The Best of 1990 – 2000 / Kevin Godley, Jonas Akerlund, Richie Smyth, Stéphane Sednaoui, Anton Corbijn, Wim Wenders, Joseph Kahn, Mark Neale, Josh Pearson, Maurice Linnane, Phil Joanou, Jon Klein, Jake Scott / 1990 – 2002 / 4/5
7) The Battle of Midway / John Ford / 1942 / 3/5
8) Voices of A Distant Star / Makoto Shinkai / 2003 / 3/5
9) She And Her Cat / Makoto Shinkai / 1999 / 4/5
10) Riley’s First Date? / Josh Cooley / 2015 / 3/5
11) Lava / James Ford Murphy / 2014 / 3/5
12) Les 3 Boutons / Agnés Varda / 2015 / 3/5
13) Same Player Shoots Again / Wim Wenders / 1967 / 2/5

TV Shows

1) Turn A Gundam / Yoshiyuki Tomino / 1999 / 4/5

HOW DARE YOU GIVE THE MUMMY A 2.5!!!! GRRRRR!!!!!! :mad:

:LOL: I kid, but I love that film so much: I've been a Fraser fan WAY before he did the Whale ;)

I have seen 3-4 films over the past 2+ months, but will do a recap probably when I watch one more.

i quite liked the movie "an american pickle" by seth rogan.

it was like a borat movie but with an actual story/plot. probably one of those comedy films which is best watching without knowing too much about / not watching the trailer.

i quite liked the movie "an american pickle" by seth rogan.

it was like a borat movie but with an actual story/plot. probably one of those comedy films which is best watching without knowing too much about / not watching the trailer.
Thank you very much ❤️ was needing in look for a nice comedy and Seth Rogan delivers, imo

Reactions: red
i finally watched "the batman". i thought it was really good, i would give it a solid 8.5/10 .. but its very long though.

my only complaint is that they have rebooted batman (and other superhero movies) so many times, in such a short time, it becomes a little strange, like they are re-telling the same story over and over.

i also watched Elvis (2022), that was entertaining but im not sure how historically accurate the movie is. i remember a historian saying in a documentary how movies become the collective memory of a real historical event. i watched one episode of the netflix series, the crown... the episode where a man, breaks into buckingham palace to meet the queen.. it was entertaining but it was all nonsense, the guy himself (who is still alive), said it was rubbish - they even had him (the intruder) having a good chat with the queen and shaking her hand out of respect lol, where in reality the queen ran out of the room, which i dont blame her for doing... but that show becomes the "truth".. which is sad.

Last edited:
Back