What is your least favourite part in both games?

ShenGCH

Who the fuck is Coco, bitch?!
Favourite title
Shenmue
Currently playing
Yakuza: Like a Dragon
Shenmue

Really had to rack my brain for this one, because there is not a single moment I dislike in the game, but the back-and-forth and then being forced to kill time on the day Ryo is looking for a way to get to Hong Kong is a lull moment for me. The only one, in fact. It's just boring.

Shenmue II

My only video game-related PTSD: Ghost Hall Building planks. Ridiculously annoying and the penalty for failure is far too harsh. I dread this moment each playthrough. Were it not for the ability to save before each plank - which players are all but forced to resort to unless they have the QTEs memorised to a tee, have a guide in front of them, or are masochistic on a level equal to that of the gimp from Pulp Fiction - I would instantly quit at this part on playthroughs. Definitely a "what were they thinking?!" part, on par with that of the first-person FREE Battles in Beverly Hills Wharf in terms of bad design. At least with those, you can just spam-bam-thank-you-ma'am until you win, but with the planks, what should be trial and error turns into having to exploit a system outside of the mechanics in order to succeed. Fucking sucks.

What are yours?

For Shenmue 2 it is an easy question—the Ghost Hall Building planks. I am not against facing game challenges, but playing that segment in Shenmue 2 is too much. The penalties are way too harsh. I mean Shenmue 2 has lots of rather questionable

For Shenmue 1 is a tough question. There is not a single part of the game I do not like that much at all. But if I had to pick one moment I would choose sneaking into warehouse number 8.

The stealth mechanics of Shenmue 1 are rather clunky. It was a great idea from Yu San to implement that section in the game but the implementation of the mechanics was rather clunky.

I believe the planks serves for trivializing other tedious parts of the game. Like you're moving boxes or airing the damned books but then you think "but it isn't the planks part.. Im good".
We have yet to find any fan declaring "but what really gets me into Shenmue 2 at first and later revisits are.. the planks. Man, the planks its what I cherish the most."

Besides that segment probably being locked in Wise Man Qr. bugs me a bit.

For Shenmue 1 - being picky - the pool shot at MJQ because reminds me there's no actual pool minigame and it would've played a lot more substantial extra content than darts. GTAIV pool got me lots of ocassions running the game exclusively for playing some matches.
And Nozomi's cutscenes dont kick me out the forum.

Shenmue - that fucking music after rescuing Nozomi on the bike ride back. By far. In fact, I think it’s the only thing I dislike in the game at all.

Shenmue 2 - boring, but crates, as much as you can avoid it by gambling really. Airing out the books is daft as well if you ask me, as much as I kind of get why it’s there.

In I, nothing, really. Maybe the fact Ryo’s stupid enough not to get a receipt from Asia Travel?

In II, the sodding planks. I did them legit the first time but since then I have always stair-glitched around them.

for myself

in shenmue I the intentional mechanics of not being able to 100% the notebook.

in shenmue 2 the inability to land anything at all on the people teaching you things. at least make max stats cause a different cut scene where he blocks something successfully. it breaks the feeling that ryo is getting better and any closer to being able to take on lan di. i love that you can beat chai in I. we worked (semi) hard for it.

In Shenmue 1, the section between learning about the existence of Charlie and confronting him in the tattoo parlor in Dobuita. There’s just far too much forced waiting for my liking.

As for Shenmue 2, when I was a kid, I’d have probably agreed with Ghost Hall Building, but now, I’m leaning more towards the part where you need to follow Ewan. I’m not sure I’ve ever failed it or anything, I’ve just really come to despise stealth/tailing sections in video games.

I recently replayed Shenmue I, and the forced wait till the day after was by far the most annoying thing.
Also, having to enter the code (Comrades, Nine Dragons) every time you call Guizhang is annoying, like he wouldn't recognize Ryo's voice after the first time they spoke? Or just put me on the list so I can waltz in.
Last but not least, not being able to skip short and repeated cutscenes like drinking a soda can.

I also hate that a lot of cool QTE and cutscenes can be missed. Sure, they add to replayability, but often, you have no idea you missed them, so you might never experience them even on future playthroughs. It feels like a waste. They should be side stories that you are aware of, but you can decide to pursue them or just stick to the main story.

Shenmue
The harbour sections after work - waiting around for events.

Shenmue II
Beating the Martial Artists to impress the scout - they could've just asked us to pick one or had a martial arts tournament.

Shenmue II
I'm currently replaying it (the last time was just before Shenmue III came out), and a few things annoyed me:
- Moving the crates is ok. I wish they just added forklifts again as an option, as they had the complete code already. They even tease you with forklifts at the very beginning! Also, it's in the other part of town, so going there after you are done airing books takes quite some time.
- I absolutely HATE the Lucky Hit job. Waste of time, it doesn't involve any skills whatsoever.
- How do you even play (let alone win) with arm wrestling? It doesn't tell you which button you need to smash. I remember being able to do it back on the Dreamcast, tho.
- I wish there were more jobs, like delivering food or running other errands around town, which are simple mechanics (you just run around as you'd normally do), and it would show you locations you might even miss.

Getting PTSD flashbacks reading all these comments about the planks, definitely hated that. Also hated the crate moving job, as others mentioned I wish there had been more ways to earn money, especially in the parts of the game where you need to raise funds.

Currently playing through the first game (still on disc 1), but can't remember anything I dislike about that! EDIT: Actually I hate how often you get all the crap capsule toys 😂

S1, having to kill time when I don’t make it back to Asia travel co in time that day

S2. Planks. Literally the reason I don’t play through the game anymore. I don’t know what the hell Yu Suzuki was thinking with that

S1, having to kill time when I don’t make it back to Asia travel co in time that day

S2. Planks. Literally the reason I don’t play through the game anymore. I don’t know what the hell Yu Suzuki was thinking with that
The planks were just fine on Dreamcast. They were nearly impossible on Xbox due to the imprecise circular d-pad.

In Shenmue 1, the section between learning about the existence of Charlie and confronting him in the tattoo parlor in Dobuita. There’s just far too much forced waiting for my liking.
My guess is that the whole black car->Chinese people-> 3 blades-> sailors-> Charlie bit was sorta padding to help fill out S1 as a stand alone game.

The whole sequence is just a time waster from Ryos POV and the real story doesn’t start until you get Zhus letter.

Back