Shenmue 4 2.5D Project.

I plan to release a battle demo just for collecting some opinions for battle system before March.
This battle demo will contain a battle about Xiuying and Ryo.
The lower video is the prototype, I think this camera view maybe good, maybe dojo members will have better solution.
Let me know your opinion, thanks.
Looks cool.

You'll need to watch that the foreground doesn't get in the way of the fights.

When the demo is ready let me know and I'll happily stream it on the Dojo channels.

Battle DEMO Download Link:
https://mega.nz/file/mMNVwR4S#2QIGkanXDamdtTBvZaco83BngRMmIlRpIKjTrHHWWig

MOVE: Press Keyboard WASD
ATTACK: Press Keyboard J
OPEN BACKPACK WIDGET: Press Keyboard: P
You can open BackPack Widget to quit the game or back to the MainMenu.
If you can not control the character in maple level, you can try to back to the MainMenu and restart the maple level.
This Demo use to test the battle system,your opinion is very important to us.
Hope you enjoy it.

HighresScreenshot00021.png

If you can not control the character in maple level, you can try to back to the MainMenu and restart the maple level.
Hope you enjoy it.

View attachment 19280
Love the look of this project. Graphics are really nice.

PROS

- The graphics are awesome, very cool
- The presentation is spot on in my opinion
- Characters look great
- Very intuitive to play

CONS
- Combat could use some more buttons. For example a kick, punch, counter button, block etc
- Sound effects and hit effects need to be added when Ryo takes damage.
- Sometimes the background gets in the way and covers the screen. It seems to be a design choice

Overall seems really good. Have you ever thought about creating a Shenmue Fighting game in this style? Would be awesome to have a bunch of shenmue characters fight it out street fighter style. Something we've all wanted to do for years

Great job guys. Looking forward to more

Last edited:
I like the art style. Somehow I manage to activate a free camera (Zoom and moving in all direction) and I looked the whole Stage to the left. (Which is big) Maybe this scene with Xiuying Hong is the boss fight at the end of the level. Definitely has a lot of potential for something like SOR4 or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. You can't go wrong if you make the gameplay similar to other popular side-scrolling beat em ups. Combo attack with one button, jump and attack, run and attack, back strike, special move, move with weapon and so on.

It will be awesome if someday we have Shenmue coop side-scrolling beat em up to play with our friends/family. With this art style you can do a j-rpg with turn based battles too. But maybe this will be harder overall, I don't know...

So far I don't have any specific suggestions, I'll see what direction the project will take in the next releases.

The trees are very beautiful. :love: I like the use of blur effect too.

I plan to release the Chapter 1 content this year. It may only play for 20 minutes.
It will be a linear RPG game like old Final Fintasy 7.
It will contain English, Japanese and Chinese subtitles.
Japanese subtitle translator: Mr.Akiya.
English subtitle translator: Mr.Arthur Phoenix Li.
1705815087411.png

Last edited:

Hope you enjoy it.

View attachment 19280
So I got a chance to play this now.

I don't want to be too critical as it's clearly in an early state, but you have asked for feedback so here are my observations:
  • There is far much of a delay between hitting attack and the attack animation happening. It should feel "instant", with the time between pressing attack and the punch making contact only 2-3 frames. Currently, it's like Ryo stands still for half a second before the punch animation begins, and then the punch animation takes the same amount of time to play out.
  • Currently, if Xiuying hit Ryo then he isn't able to be move until Ryo throws a punch of his own. He just stands there ignoring WASD.
  • I agree with @ShenSun that there needs to be more than one attack button, like a kick button. Or stick to one button but allow us to change the attacks/combo based on direction input and timing. Maybe look at Streets of Rage 4 to see how a single attack button allows for a diversity of attacks and combos?
Otherwise it's really nice. The artstyle is beautiful. It has nice atmosphere. I wouldn't expect a fan project to have this level of quality.

I'm looking forward to Chapter 1

Loving the art!

Shen Hua's headdress looks especially intricate and lovely. Beautifully rendered.

Ryo looks a little scary, like a villain in a shounen anime or the frontman of a visual kei band! It's the eyes...!

Back